Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Some win for Zebre, best result of the weekend if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭phog

Zzippy wrote: »
    With POM and TOD out will we see a lot more of O'Donoghue? Looks a great prospect, think he could really take his opportunity with the injuries...

He is but struggling a but at 7 but he reminds of Donncha, a sponge for learning and improving

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Some win for Zebre, best result of the weekend if you ask me!

Even denied Edinburgh the LBP. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

molloyjh wrote: »
    Even denied Edinburgh the LBP. Fantastic stuff.

That was a bad slip up from Edinburgh. Fair play to Zebre. I really enjoy watching them play and would love to see them get some reward for their efforts this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Regan King (35) starts for the Scarlets vs Dragons tomorrow. Jacob Cowley (18) is on the bench. King is Cowley's father!

• Advertisement

Regan King (35) starts for the Scarlets vs Dragons tomorrow. Jacob Cowley (18) is on the bench. King is Cowley's father!

Is this some sort of record? Sure is extraordinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is this some sort of record? Sure is extraordinary!

I think Andy Farrell and Owen Farrell were in the same matchday squad once but never played together, I think Owen replaced Andy maybe? But if they play together it might well be a record.

Here's hoping Zebre can do a job over Cardiff this weekend.

Even as a former season ticket holder I wouldnt mind seeing Leinster lose to Treviso I want the Italians to improve that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Andy Farrell and Owen Farrell were in the same matchday squad once but never played together, I think Owen replaced Andy maybe? But if they play together it might well be a record.

Was a pre season friendly though. iirc. This is a pretty big deal. Must have been a hard enough time for the family.with Regan playing in Europe and his boy growing up in NZ. I'd say this is a pretty cool chance for them.

Pity this match clashes with the Munster Ulster match. And it's on BBCW....which means I can't record it and watch it later.

• Advertisement

Well it happened - father and son played together on the Scarlets winning side! They look like brothers!!!

Scarlets on 25 points after 6 games, they're looking strong this year.

Yes, they've won 6 out of 6. Leinster will hopefully put a halt to their gallop next week.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes, they've won 6 out of 6. Leinster will hopefully put a halt to their gallop next week.

It's sligjtly annoying we have to play them twice while they're in red hot form. Kinda strange how that's their first bonus point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Zebre are beating Cardiff at half time. Would be their 2nd win of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's sligjtly annoying we have to play them twice while they're in red hot form. Kinda strange how that's their first bonus point too.

i tihnk its a good game to have prior to europe. focus the minds a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zebre won 26 - 15

is that Zebre's first ever BP win?

EDIT: That is Zebre's first ever TBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

2 good wins in a row for Zebre. After the trouncing Cardiff gave them in Round 1 that's a big win. Cardiff fairly shipping the points, 4 try bonus point defeats in a row now despite playing some good rugby in the games I've seen them. Welsh teams bar Scarlets are starting on the back foot in the race for Top 6.

Well done Zebre! Delighted for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lol Cardiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Strangest part of that is that they've had as many yellow cards (8) as the next 5 teams in the league put together. 6 of those came in their first two games!

1. Scarlets (8)
    2. Munster (0)
    3. Connacht (3)
    4. Ulster (1)
    5. Edinburgh (2)
    6. Leinster (2)

It's a lot easier to get away with that kind of indiscipline when the internationals are away, top class players will punish that sort of thing much more harshly. If they don't clean up their act they'll plummet down the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Ceadog wrote: »
    Strangest part of that is that they've had as many yellow cards (8) as the next 5 teams in the league put together. 6 of those came in their first two games!

1. Scarlets (8)
    2. Munster (0)
    3. Connacht (3)
    4. Ulster (1)
    5. Edinburgh (2)
    6. Leinster (2)

It's a lot easier to get away with that kind of indiscipline when the internationals are away, top class players will punish that sort of thing much more harshly. If they don't clean up their act they'll plummet down the table.

Sure that will all clean up once Liam Williams returns :pac:

Zebre above Cardiff and Ospreys in the league table!

delighted for Zebre, two wins in a row gives them some momentum.

Here's hoping they can have 6 or 7 wins this season, that would be a serious improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre above Cardiff and Ospreys in the league table!

If Ospreys get nothing at Glasgow they will be 12 points off the playoffs. Would it be time to write them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

If Ospreys get nothing at Glasgow they will be 12 points off the playoffs. Would it be time to write them off?
    If you lose more than 6 games it's really difficult to get to the play off positions.

The O's are 19 points behind Scarlets, 18 behind Munster and 17 adrift of Connacht. If they lose today that will be 5 losses. They would need to win every game just about to get there whereas wins today for Leinster and Glasgow will see them back up the table with many of their best players still to come in.

Last year the top 3 lost 5 games and the 4th side lost 6.
    Previous year it was lost 4, 4, 6 and 7 games lost.
    In 2012 / 13 it was 4,5,6,7 lost.
    In 11/12 it was 3,5,7,5.
    The lowest points total to get in to the play off place was 63 by the O's in 10 / 11. The highest was 70 points, then 69 - both Ulster and then there was 65 by Scarlets.

By my reckoning it's not just the O's that are teetering on the brink of having a 'short' season but given the next few weeks, Ulster are almost in the same boat. Given that you need a home semi in reality to get to the final, any team that loses more than 5 isn't going to do it. Even 5 losses is cutting it fine.

Ospreys and Glasgow are in their positions because of the RWC players loss (as is Leinster but they have done better). Given that the teams that realistically have the players to get to the top 4 are usually. Munster, Ulster, Leinster. Weegies, the O's and 'Claneckli' as Daire O'Brien used to laughingly call them, with Connacht coming up fast on the rails, the 'usual Suspects' will make for a great dog fight this season with Embra also aiming for a top spot.

Scarlets have had 4 home games out of 6 so have made hay by beating Glasgow away and Zebre. They have only picked up 1 TBP so far, something they might have cause to rue later in the season. I'm looking forward to the shake out. So many permutations this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jamie Roberts taking a break from Pro rugby, he's studying in Cambridge and hopes to line out for their rugby team.

Ian Nagle has played with them recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

glasgow beat the ospreys 31-19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tbp for Glasgow and nothing for Ospreys

Advertisement