Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,367 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many people are realistically going to buy tickets, flights and accommodation before their team is there? A few thousand at best?

There is no way it will be over 30k. People flying over as a neutral to a European final is one thing, flying to the Pro 12 final is something else entirely.

awec wrote: »
    How many people are realistically going to buy tickets, flights and accommodation before their team is there? A few thousand at best?

There is no way it will be over 30k. People flying over as a neutral to a European final is one thing, flying to the Pro 12 final is something else entirely.

Well I'm tempted to do that marathon now if that's any consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

awec wrote: »

You are quite right. I'm beginning to think that this 'chosen venue' idea for the final is really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

vienne86 wrote: »
    You are quite right. I'm beginning to think that this 'chosen venue' idea for the final is really stupid.

In the long run it won't be. It's going to take time for it to grow on people. The mistake is seemingly no early bird tickets being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

In the long run it won't be. It's going to take time for it to grow on people. The mistake is seemingly no early bird tickets being sold.

How many fans would actually buy cheap early bird tickets now? If your team gets to the final then ideally you want to be with your supporters not spread out in the cheap seats.

The tickets will be probably be the cheapest part of attending the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think it's a great idea, in general. Murrayfield is not the best choice, however, I think 20-30k is a realistic target but that won't even be 50% capacity so it will take away from the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

phog wrote: »
    How many fans would actually buy cheap early bird tickets now? If your team gets to the final then ideally you want to be with your supporters not spread out in the cheap seats.

On the last 3 or 4 years history, only half the teams in the league have a serious chance of reaching the final. I would imagine that once the shake out at the end of the season becomes clearer that fans will only then look seriously at going. Edinburgh is a good city for an expensive weekend and as the Edinburgh marathon is on at the same time accommodation will be difficult to obtain. Fortunately for me if it's Ulster, I have 'access' to a flat there. :D
    Given the apparent disenchantment with the Pro12 from our Welsh comrades, I doubt if a final between O's and Blues or Scarlets would generate any interest unless it was in Cardiff. They whine ceaselessly about the - real - difficulties in following their teams to other venues.

The Aviva Premiership sells a lot of early bird seats for its final.

I did say long run in the previous post for a reason. I don't think this year will draw a big crowd but this is the right way to go. Deciding the final venue a week before the final means you will never draw a big crowd and you're forced to hold it at a smaller ground.

I did say long run in the previous post for a reason. I don't think this year will draw a big crowd but this is the right way to go. Deciding the final venue a week before the final means you will never draw a big crowd and you're forced to hold it at a smaller ground.

Of course getting to Twickenham is easy for any English fan. Get a train. No need to get a plane or boat and no need to change currency and no need to listen to the high pitched whine of the Welsh about why they aren't in the Premiership where they would take the league by storm finishing 1,2,3,and 4 every season.......:pac::pac::pac::pac:

There's also the benefit of having 13m people in the 'Greater London Area' that feeds the premiership final crowd. The enormous numbers make it far easier. You'd get an 'event' even if it was Newcastle vs Worcester in the final.

The ratio of 'randomers' to 'finalists' fans' is far far higher that one can expect at a Pro12 final.

• Advertisement

There's also the benefit of having 13m people in the 'Greater London Area' that feeds the premiership final crowd. The enormous numbers make it far easier. You'd get an 'event' even if it was Newcastle vs Worcester in the final.

The ratio of 'randomers' to 'finalists' fans' is far far higher that one can expect at a Pro12 final.

Yes, you aren't going to get many neutral 'walk ups' for a Pro12 final, particularly if there is no Scottish team in it in Embra etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hiraeth

jacothelad wrote: »
    They whine ceaselessly about the - real - difficulties in following their teams to other venues.

Is there any significant cross-border away support in the Pro-12? I don't think so. Let's knock on the head the myth that some supporters travel and others don't. I guess less than a hundred, and more like fifty, Irish provincial supporters would travel to league matches in Wales. Credit to those that do travel but it is hardly sustainable.

And wasn't there just two bids for this year's final? Maybe it's not such an attractive event to host that some seem to think it is.

Hiraeth wrote: »
    Is there any significant cross-border away support in the Pro-12? I don't think so. Let's knock on the head the myth that some supporters travel and others don't. I guess less than a hundred, and more like fifty, Irish provincial supporters would travel to league matches in Wales. Credit to those that do travel but it is hardly sustainable.

And wasn't there just two bids for this year's final? Maybe it's not such an attractive event to host that some seem to think it is.

I agree completely but we don't make such a song and dance about it. The Pro12 is what it is. As we know, many Welsh fans think for some reason, that their teams would suddenly become better by playing in the English League. Maybe they would. They also claim that they would go and watch - say - Ospreys or Scarlets v. Leicester et al. citing historical reasons and huge crowds of 2 or 3 thousand that used to turn up at the Gnoll to see Bath. In fact more Welsh fans turn up to watch them play Irish teams than English Teams in the Souper Duper Set Up for English Teams To Win It CUp.

There are many things wrong with the Pro12 set up, including expensive, time consuming cross border travel, Friday Games and the fact that the majority of Welsh fans don't want it. It is in their hands to do something about it. Either help make it work or help shut it down. Welsh rugby doesn't owe anyone anything. One thing is certain though and that is the fact that when the Celtic League was originally set up, the existing historic Welsh teams were not strong enough. The talent was too diluted. There is no going back to those days. It's a pity that Cardiff, Swansea, Scarlets, Neath and Newport weren't simply given the job with players shuffled around to strengthen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

They cetainly would need to provide some sort of incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hiraeth

jacothelad wrote: »
    I agree completely but we don't make such a song and dance about it. The Pro12 is what it is. As we know, many Welsh fans think for some reason, that their teams would suddenly become better by playing in the English League. Maybe they would. They also claim that they would go and watch - say - Ospreys or Scarlets v. Leicester et al. citing historical reasons and huge crowds of 2 or 3 thousand that used to turn up at the Gnoll to see Bath. In fact more Welsh fans turn up to watch them play Irish teams than English Teams in the Souper Duper Set Up for English Teams To Win It CUp.

There are many things wrong with the Pro12 set up, including expensive, time consuming cross border travel, Friday Games and the fact that the majority of Welsh fans don't want it. It is in their hands to do something about it. Either help make it work or help shut it down. Welsh rugby doesn't owe anyone anything. One thing is certain though and that is the fact that when the Celtic League was originally set up, the existing historic Welsh teams were not strong enough. The talent was too diluted. There is no going back to those days. It's a pity that Cardiff, Swansea, Scarlets, Neath and Newport weren't simply given the job with players shuffled around to strengthen them.

I'm pleased you agree completely with me although I can't offer the same in response to your comments. A 'song and dance' about it? You seem to be getting quite animated in ventilating your view - 'Souper Duper Set Up for English Teams To Win It CUp' anyone?

I'll try to pick out some of your comments.
    huge crowds of 2 or 3 thousand that used to turn up at the Gnoll to see Bath
    That's not my recollection. I attended many Bath games at the Gnoll including the barren Neath period of the 1970s and there were certainly more than that there. However I don't know why you raise such historical, albeit erroneous, references to crowds from more than 25 years ago.
    The talent was too diluted. There is no going back to those days. It's a pity that Cardiff, Swansea, Scarlets, Neath and Newport weren't simply given the job with players shuffled around to strengthen them.
    I'm not sure where you are going with this. The talent was too diluted but there should be five teams playing in Wales cf. the four current regions? Are you saying is is too diluted or should be more diluted? Of course after the regions were established Welsh teams won the league in three of the next four seasons. I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from that other than it probably reflects on how poor the league was, in relation to other competitions, at that time and the lack of interest from some participants.
    As we know, many Welsh fans think for some reason, that their teams would suddenly become better by playing in the English League.
    From speaking on behalf of Irish supporters you now vocalise on behalf of Welsh supporters too! I can only speak for myself that your comment is tosh. The reason for exploring other playing options is related to revenue. It's nice to get supporters through the gate but that pales in comparison with TV money. Too much focus is put on attendance at matches and too little on TV revenue and certainly the national Welsh media is much to blame for this. As recently reported all Irish provinces make a loss and therefore it would be in their interest to investigate such options too. Indeed Michael Dawson's recent comments acknowledging the extra revenue generation from EPCR competitions is noteworthy and welcome.

I think both leagues are vastly different products and the more established league still has to offer early bird tickets to grab the attention of the fans.

The premiership is one country, one currency, one language and a huge rugby population available to it almost on it's doorstep. For their fans that are interested in attending the final it's the same trip every year or the same trip as an International.

The Pro12 is almost the complete opposite.

I think both leagues are vastly different products and the more established league still has to offer early bird tickets to grab the attention of the fans.

The premiership is one country, one currency, one language and a huge rugby population available to it almost on it's doorstep. For their fans that are interested in attending the final it's the same trip every year or the same trip as an International.

The Pro12 is almost the complete opposite.

What would you do? Go back to the previous system (seeded venue)?

What would you do? Go back to the previous system (seeded venue)?

Tbh, I've mixed views on it. The league itself hasn't really captured the imagination of the fans, in Ireland and possibly across all the clubs we're generally picky about the matches we'll actually go to see.

The seeded venue at least rewarded the better teams though only allowing a week to sell the tickets.

By opting for a neutral venue you run the chance of the home team not being in the final and if we ever have an Italian venue there's a huge probability that neither Treviso nor Zebre will be involved in the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The league itself hasn't really captured the imagination of the fans, in Ireland and possibly across all the clubs we're generally picky about the matches we'll actually go to see.

I'm still convinced a large part of that is based on an attitude that can be overcome.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm still convinced a large part of that is based on an attitude that can be overcome.

I do too but I also think I'm not understating the level of support the league gets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do too but I also think I'm not understating the level of support the league gets.

No you're not. But this is an attempt to make it better and I applaud that. Might go tits up of course, but making the final an "event" is one step towards people taking it seriously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tbh I do wonder how many people would go to the Aviva Prem final if they had to fly/ferry to get there or stay overnight.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No you're not. But this is an attempt to make it better and I applaud that. Might go tits up of course, but making the final an "event" is one step towards people taking it seriously.

I suppose it's kind of a chicken and egg situation. Improve the league to improve the support or improve the final to draw support to the league.

I think the final being announced early isn't catching the imagination of the fans. Perhaps it will in time but using a large stadium like Edinburgh in year two of the experiment is a brave move or perhaps foolish even.

Hiraeth wrote: »
    I'm pleased you agree completely with me although I can't offer the same in response to your comments. A 'song and dance' about it? You seem to be getting quite animated in ventilating your view - 'Souper Duper Set Up for English Teams To Win It CUp' anyone?

I'll try to pick out some of your comments.

That's not my recollection. I attended many Bath games at the Gnoll including the barren Neath period of the 1970s and there were certainly more than that there. However I don't know why you raise such historical, albeit erroneous, references to crowds from more than 25 years ago.

I'm not sure where you are going with this. The talent was too diluted but there should be five teams playing in Wales cf. the four current regions? Are you saying is is too diluted or should be more diluted? Of course after the regions were established Welsh teams won the league in three of the next four seasons. I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from that other than it probably reflects on how poor the league was, in relation to other competitions, at that time and the lack of interest from some participants.

From speaking on behalf of Irish supporters you now vocalise on behalf of Welsh supporters too! I can only speak for myself that your comment is tosh. The reason for exploring other playing options is related to revenue. It's nice to get supporters through the gate but that pales in comparison with TV money. Too much focus is put on attendance at matches and too little on TV revenue and certainly the national Welsh media is much to blame for this. As recently reported all Irish provinces make a loss and therefore it would be in their interest to investigate such options too. Indeed Michael Dawson's recent comments acknowledging the extra revenue generation from EPCR competitions is noteworthy and welcome.

I should have prefaced my remarks by saying that many of the Welsh fans I 'quoted' spew out their nonsense on sites like Gwlad. I too used to attend the Gnoll in my student days. Great fun and big crowds but the reality is that it wasn't 10,000 as some claim with 20/20 rose coloured hindsight.
    As for the 5 teams, I was referencing the fact that there were 5 teams originally set up and of course one was summarily binned ' for the greater good' apparently. I wasn't suggesting anything other than if the actual teams had been given the job then perhaps a lot of residual loyalty would have remained. Go on Gwlad or Rugby Rebels and see what I mean. As for speaking on behalf of Welsh supporters, I only speak for myself and do so as one who lived and played in Wales for a number of years and have more than a passing fondness and interest in rugby there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bit of a better showing from Zebre tonight.

They only lost 13-0 but there was no score after the 29th min and they missed two penalty kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Sky are putting a player-mic on McCloskey today for Ulsters game, not sure if its such a great idea myself

Wang King wrote: »
    Sky are putting a player-mic on McCloskey today for Ulsters game, not sure if its such a great idea myself

It's been done in the NFL for years.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBlWuQhuNb2VjKgn2kCrnwQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwXX9vPH1E

Let's see how's it done but it would be very interesting to hear how pro players communicate while on the field. Are they trying to give a rugby insight or a personal insight (which is what NFL Sound FX does)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I loved it when they mic'd up lealifamo (or however you spell it) in super rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

It's been done in the NFL for years.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBlWuQhuNb2VjKgn2kCrnwQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwXX9vPH1E

Let's see how's it done but it would be very interesting to hear how pro players communicate while on the field. Are they trying to give a rugby insight or a personal insight (which is what NFL Sound FX does)?

I suppose you will hear how a crunching tackle from pro athletes sounds, but maybe the calls from players during a game isn't what coaches want.....imagine what the likes of Axel would say if in game calls were broadcast live to Ireland and the UK....think this is totally voluntary, can't see many coaches jumping on board too quickly imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wang King wrote: »
    I suppose you will hear how a crunching tackle from pro athletes sounds, but maybe the calls from players during a game isn't what coaches want.....imagine what the likes of Axel would say if in game calls were broadcast live to Ireland and the UK....think this is totally voluntary, can't see many coaches jumping on board too quickly imo

I'd imagine that similar to the Fox rugby ones these won't actually be heard live. It'll probably surface in a week or so as a highly edited video that gives us a small insight into the kind of chat that happens without giving anything secret away

Advertisement