Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    I'd imagine that similar to the Fox rugby ones these won't actually be heard live. It'll probably surface in a week or so as a highly edited video that gives us a small insight into the kind of chat that happens without giving anything secret away

Actually I may have been wrong just read the article about it ,http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15180/9986879/sky-sport-launch-player-mic-for-scarlets-v-ulster, and it does seem like we'll hear some tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ian McKinley has signed for Zebre. Will play wearing those special goggles. Remarkable story.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brilliant news. Can't wait to see him playing in the Pro 12.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Ian McKinley has signed for Zebre. Will play wearing those special goggles. Remarkable story.

Unreal.

McInley.jpg

http://www.onrugby.it/2015/09/30/zebre-arriva-un-altro-permit-e-ian-mckinley-dal-viadana/

His Italian is up to scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Wow. Great news.

He's only signed as temporary cover but it would be fairytale stuff if he could make an impression and get a full deal.

Zebre vs Scarlets on S4C on Sunday just got very attractive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bridge93 wrote: »

That's fairytale stuff
    Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stupid question. Can he play in Ireland? Wasn't there some mention of a player prevented from playing in Ireland because those glasses weren't approved here or is that only relevant to IRFU players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

phog wrote: »
    Stupid question. Can he play in Ireland? Wasn't there some mention of a player prevented from playing in Ireland because those glasses weren't approved here or is that only relevant to IRFU players.

I think I heard it was a World Rugby directive to allow these goggles. I presume that would include playing here if it's a decision at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He cant at this time. World Rugby approved the trial of one specific pair of goggles about a year ago but the IRFU are not part of the trial. Italy/Scotland are definitely part of the trial but not many more countries are involved other than them

He cant at this time. World Rugby approved the trial of one specific pair of goggles about a year ago but the IRFU are not part of the trial. Italy/Scotland are definitely part of the trial but not many more countries are involved other than them

But he's playing for an Italian team, because of that can he play in a another country in a cross border tournament supported/recognised by the Italian rugby federation?

If he's restricted to the countries that are involved in the trial then it seems he can only play home games or away to Treviso, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

• Advertisement

But he's playing for an Italian team, because of that can he play in a another country in a cross border tournament supported/recognised by the Italian rugby federation?

If he's restricted to the countries that are involved in the trial then it seems he can only play home games or away to Treviso, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Yes, but that's 14/20 of their games this season. They've played 2 away games in Wales already so it's just away to Scarlets/Blues and the 4 provinces that he'll miss. Not the end of the world, especially if he's as good as I hope he is.

Yes, but that's 14/20 of their games this season. They've played 2 away games in Wales already so it's just away to Scarlets/Blues and the 4 provinces that he'll miss. Not the end of the world, especially if he's as good as I hope he is.

I'm not knocking Zebre or McKinley for the contract, in fact I'm delighted for the player. It's just Id just like to see him free to play in Ireland. I'd love to see play live in Cork/Limerick.

I'm not knocking Zebre or McKinley for the contract, in fact I'm delighted for the player. It's just Id just like to see him free to play in Ireland. I'd love to see play live in Cork/Limerick.

Well I think that's the ideal scenario. The IRFU will hopefully come under pressure to get involved in the trial when the media get on the (completely legitimate) "McKinley for Ireland" bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well I think that's the ideal scenario. The IRFU will hopefully come under pressure to get involved in the trial when the media get on the (completely legitimate) "McKinley for Ireland" bandwagon.

I'm not sure they can take part in the trial at this late stage. I imagine it's coming to an end soon; probably worth checking that out and if it's a positive outcome then all rugby unions will be able to use them.

There's a French player playing in Italy who's using them as well.

Yep, Florian Cazenave.

The RFU are also trialling them but only for under 13s and below. Also USA Ruby joined the trial last year, so maybe the IRFU can do it.

The details of the trial are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Zebre vs Scarlets on S4C on Sunday just got very attractive...

I'll be in Stratford ( :D ), but recording being set up!

Not sure how true this is but heard that Sky & BT Sport are taking over the broadcasting of the Pro12 from next season.

Proper nuisance for TV supporters if true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sky and BT?

Sounds like bad news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

d840559aef0175fc7f83dc92453f33be83e54daafda732a6c220d72d8e3daf68.jpg

Not sure how true this is but heard that Sky & BT Sport are taking over the broadcasting of the Pro12 from next season.

Aw no - I LOATHE BT, quite apart from the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1 point from 3 games for the Ospreys, although fixture wise it wasn't the easiest start: Ulster (A), Munster (H), Edinburgh (A).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

phog. What sort of source did you get this from. Current contract runs til 2018. I know of course they can be renegotiated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I doubt it's true. Sky are only in the second year of a 4 year deal.

I doubt it's true. Sky are only in the second year of a 4 year deal.

Well BBC exited the Open contract early.

It may be that they've looked to exit their rugby commitments as well and BT are taking that from them.

RAKM wrote: »
    phog. What sort of source did you get this from. Current contract runs til 2018. I know of course they can be renegotiated.

It was a guy I met a the game last night. I'd prefer not to say who/what he was but he was there in an official capacity. Hopefully, he's got things wrong.

Say what you like about the likes of the BBCs, TG4 or S4C but we're blessed with the amount of games they cover. I'd hate to go down the route of two pay to view channels. Though, their scheduling might improve.

Clean sweep for the provinces this weekend - excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

It was a guy I met a the game last night. I'd prefer not to say who/what he was but he was there in an official capacity. Hopefully, he's got things wrong.

Say what you like about the likes of the BBCs, TG4 or S4C but we're blessed with the amount of games they cover. I'd hate to go down the route of two pay to view channels. Though, their scheduling might improve.

I kinda wouldn't mind this happening if it meant that every game got shown every weekend and every game had a tmo. I'd just stream all the games as BT and Sky streams are easy to come across it can be much more difficult for someone who doesn't have a sky box to get some of the BBC channels

b.gud wrote: »
    I kinda wouldn't mind this happening if it meant that every game got shown every weekend and every game had a tmo. I'd just stream all the games as BT and Sky streams are easy to come across it can be much more difficult for someone who doesn't have a sky box to get some of the BBC channels

A big standard free to air/view box will give you S4C and a choice of BBC channels. There's no need for a Sky dish, box or subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If it means there is a TMO at every game then it is worth it
    It's a farce how some games don't have it - should be standard at all Pro12 games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

wp_rathead wrote: »
    It's a farce how some games don't have it - should be standard at all Pro12 games

I do agree that a TMO should be used at every match but as for going behind a paywall. Just No.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »

For the games where we don't have the TMO we should down the route of having an official on the try lines too. Still wouldn't be as accurate as the TMO or cover as many incidents but I'd prefer that what happens at the moment and certainky prefer free to view than pay to view.

Advertisement