Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

awec wrote: »
    The final last year was saved by the fact Munster fans had a relatively cheap trip (exchange rate aside they had no flights and could do a day trip with little hassle) and the Irish teams tend to be the best supported teams in terms of numbers. Imagine last years final was in Wales, would there even have been 10k there?

This year they'll be praying that Glasgow make the final because I doubt even a Leinster Munster final would get much more than the 17k last year in a much bigger stadium given there is only a week for people to get sorted. Two Welsh teams in the final and it'll be a disaster miracle.

Can't see many people booking flights in advance of knowing their team will be there.

FYP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Glasgow sold 10K for their home SF last season so I'm sure the powers that be are hoping they'll make it again this season as no way will any other team be bringing that amount.

The biggest attendance so far for a Pro12 final was the Munster v Leinster one but considering there's only 2 hours drive between Dublin and Limerick it's much easier, and cheaper, for that fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ballsy move by the Pro 12.

By playing the final at a stadium as famous as Murrayfield you give it a bit more prestige which is no bad thing.

Hopefully they fill at least half the stadium.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Ballsy move by the Pro 12.

By playing the final at a stadium as famous as Murrayfield you give it a bit more prestige which is no bad thing.

Hopefully they fill at least half the stadium.

It holds like 67k.

If they even hit 20k I'll be shocked.

It holds like 67k.

It depends on who is in the final. An Ulster Glasgow final might do ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think it's very hard to predict. There was 80,000 people in Twickenham for the premiership final this year. That seems a very high figure, I think a lot of those people make their minds up quite early. They do a lot of advertising for that from early on which helps I think. I think we could certainly get 40k to a Pro 12 final.

I think it's very hard to predict. There was 80,000 people in Twickenham for the premiership final this year. That seems a very high figure, I think a lot of those people make their minds up quite early. They do a lot of advertising for that from early on which helps I think. I think we could certainly get 40k to a Pro 12 final.

The difficulty is if the semi finals are the week before it is harder to make arrangements to get to the final a week later. In England it's a case of booking a train or taking the car or hiring a bus, in the Pro 12 it invariably involves booking a flight which isn't cheap.

Glasgow could bring 15k to a final as could Ulster (Scotland is easy enough to get to and large NI community there already) throw in 5,000 'rugby tourists' and you have 35,000. That's do-able. Leinster and Munster could bring decent support as well.

If a Welsh team are in the final then, well, there'll be quite an echo in the stadium...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In the Aviva nearly all the clubs are only 2 to 3 hours drive from Twickenham so you can go and back easy enough on the same day.

In the Pro12 Edinburgh is a flight option or a drive, or long drive, ferry, and then another 2 hours or so drive.

If you're flying it looks like an over nighter for Leinster and Munster as it looks like the last flight out of Edinburgh is mid afternoon.

So the cost and time involved in getting to and back for a Pro12 final in Edinburgh for everyone bar the Scots team is pretty big.

I think you're massiely underestimating the price of UK rail, amazingly you can fly from Dublin to Edinburgh with Aer Lingus for less than a train from Bath to London if you book early enough!

I think it's more the reputation of it than anything else. I found a lot of people were going to the Premiership final just because it's what they did. You get the same at the European finals. If it became a habitual trip for Celtic League fans it'd be really great (wouldn't mind a trip down to Italy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

Afaik, there are no flights direct from Shannon to either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I think Ryanair operate out of Cork to Glasgow. Obviously, Dublin has flights direct to both airports.

I doubt many rugby fans based in the Midwest will bother with the final until closer to the event and might want until they know who's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

IIRC don't the Premiership sell a lot of cheap early bird tickets months in advance?

It was never going to be in Ireland again this year but I thought they would have gone with Wales, maybe Liberty Stadium.

IIRC don't the Premiership sell a lot of cheap early bird tickets months in advance?

Yeah, I remember getting an email or two along those lines. No reason the Pro 12 shouldn't do the same.

Yeah, I remember getting an email or two along those lines. No reason the Pro 12 shouldn't do the same.

10,000 tickets @ £10?

It was never going to be in Ireland again this year but I thought they would have gone with Wales, maybe Liberty Stadium.

The biggest support base for the league is in Ireland and perhaps in hindsight not having it in Euro land was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hiraeth

Unlikely that it would be the Liberty as the Ospreys rightly chose not to bid for a second successive final.

And I doubt the other Welsh regions put a bid in either as their home grounds don't fulfil the league's criteria for a final venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

phog wrote: »
    The biggest support base for the league is in Ireland and perhaps in hindsight not having it in Euro land was a mistake.

Not much they can do if the stadia in Euro land don't bid for it.

Not much they can do if the stadia in Euro land don't bid for it.

Is that a fact?

Either way, it could easily be held in Euro land. The Pro12 take ownership of of the final as always but select a venue without requiring a bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Is that a fact?

Either way, it could easily be held in Euro land. The Pro12 take ownership of of the final as always but select a venue without requiring a bid.

So they ask who wants it, reject the actual bids and impose it on someone who doesn't want it?

It would be a different angle on the tendering process, I'll give you that.

So they ask who wants it, reject the actual bids and impose it on someone who doesn't want it?

No. They decide where they want to host it.

I see on Twitter that the Edinburgh marathon is on the same weekend the Pro12 final. That could push up the cost of accommodation.

• Advertisement

There were 17K runners in the full and half marathon from last year so it's going to make accommodation for any travelling fans hard to get, let alone any price increases. Anyone doing the marathon will book accommodation months in advance too.

Unless there some how hoping to get people from the marathon to go to the final this is really looking like record low for the final. Pretty much if Glasgow don't make it this could have maybe only 5K at it :O

An option for Irish fans might be to fly into Glasgow, stay in Glasgow and day trip to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

An option for Irish fans might be to fly into Glasgow, stay in Glasgow and day trip to Edinburgh.

Yep, but if I were to go to that match I would want my overnight to be in Edinburgh - great city.

And/Or Newcastle. Train from Newcastle to Edinburgh isn't expensive

Ashley Beck probably gone for the season, ruptured ACL: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_77792,00.html

Great player but IIRC he missed a lot of last season as well?

Ashley Beck probably gone for the season, ruptured ACL: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_77792,00.html

Great player but IIRC he missed a lot of last season as well?

Yup, was only available from Nov-> February last season.

Pretty disastrous set of events, I think he's an absolutely excellent 12, very much a different mold from the inside centres that Wales have been producing as he's far more interested in linking up and playing clever than breaking down doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

That'd be par for the course round these parts! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I think you're massiely underestimating the price of UK rail, amazingly you can fly from Dublin to Edinburgh with Aer Lingus for less than a train from Bath to London if you book early enough!

Quite funny reading this...... I booked a return ticket last night from London to Bath for the Leinster game in November for £10 each way, £20 return on the great western website. Ticket will be slightly under £30 so travel and ticket for under £50 is great going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

It will get much more than 20k. It will be over 30k and with a bit of luck 40k. They've got 9 months to advertise the hell out of the event, that's a long time to sell tickets.

Tickets are £20, that's next to nothing to attend a sporting final of any variety. I bet the Pro12 are hoping for a Glasgow V Ulster final.

Whoever gets there they'll have a bigger crowd than last years 17k. I see this as a massive move forward for the league something we all have to get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It will get much more than 20k. It will be over 30k and with a bit of luck 40k. They've got 9 months to advertise the hell out of the event, that's a long time to sell tickets.

Tickets are £20, that's next to nothing to attend a sporting final of any variety. I bet the Pro12 are hoping for a Glasgow V Ulster final.

Whoever gets there they'll have a bigger crowd than last years 17k. I see this as a massive move forward for the league something we all have to get behind.

If the Pro12 are hoping to make up the numbers once the finalists are known they are in for some serious disappointment. The whole point of this is to try and create an event which is agnostic to the finalists - we're nowhere close but I like the idea and hope they develop it. They can't be hoping for the finalists to fill the venue though, short of a Glasgow-Edinburgh final you won't get much travelling support I would think. There just isn't time to organise it.

Advertisement