Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I thought Saul Rogers looked strong although it was only highlights of his fight. So did Le, Dutch muay Thai guy and ginger guy til that perfect liver kick. Hall was class but it'll depend on his wrestling and how his standup holds up. The guy Artem fought was a massive lightweight, I thought he won marginally but it could've easily gone to a 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

moneyman wrote: »
    Not really, I'd imagine the losers that come back would be expected to lose in their first bouts. Hardly going to make either coach look like a right mug.

If Faber brings back a guy & he loses again fair enough, he's got no ties to him.
    But Artem is the only fella McG give a sh1te about in there....almost embarrassingly so, he's his team mate, his workout partner that he brings everywhere & lets be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Dana decided to allow each coach bring 1 fighter back was down to Conor throwing a strop about the judges (has this happened on any previous TUF seasons can anyone tell me?)
    If someone so ingrained in Camp McGregor loses not once but twice in a row then it reflects badly on Conor & his overall crew in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Pulse8 wrote: »
    If Faber brings back a guy & he loses again fair enough, he's got no ties to him.
    But Artem is the only fella McG give a sh1te about in there....almost embarrassingly so, he's his team mate, his workout partner that he brings everywhere & lets be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Dana decided to allow each coach bring 1 fighter back was down to Conor throwing a strop about the judges (has this happened on any previous TUF seasons can anyone tell me?)
    If someone so ingrained in Camp McGregor loses not once but twice in a row then it reflects badly on Conor & his overall crew in my opinion

All bias aside, I think Artem is a perfect candidate to bring back in this situation. He is the only Euro that was potentially robbed. Artem won the 1st (not as clearly as Egan and Conor's whooo's would have you believe, but clearly enough), and the 2nd was debatable. Artem absolutely deserved a 3rd round at the very least.

Conor may be biased, but his decision would probably be the correct one. Not sure how anyone can say it's absolutely the wrong decision.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why? :confused:

All it shows is that the person was beaten by a better fighter on both occasions and the UFC probably wont be looking to sign them. Its not Conor in the cage fighting for them, they are their own person and how the fight goes is down to them and their ability. Just because McGregor is a highly skilled fighter doesnt mean by default anyone in his camp is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

People have been brought back before either by injuries or wild cards so it's nothing new. Plus if say Conor doesnt give a f what it looks like if artem loses again. All 3 judges said it should have been 3 rounds so he's a good candidate anyway.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

All it shows is that the person was beaten by a better fighter on both occasions and the UFC probably wont be looking to sign them. Its not Conor in the cage fighting for them, they are their own person and how the fight goes is down to them and their ability. Just because McGregor is a highly skilled fighter doesnt mean by default anyone in his camp is.

Surely McG would want to be seen to be training with people of a high standard, not someone who gets beaten in their first 2 fights on TUF (1 of which only came about because Conor is essentially his boss outside of the show)

Surely McG would want to be seen to be training with people of a high standard, not someone who gets beaten in their first 2 fights on TUF (1 of which only came about because Conor is essentially his boss outside of the show)

Who would you bring back instead of Artem? He arguably had the toughest opponent, and the closest fight out of all the Euros. I think you're being offended for the sake of it tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Artem is his sparring partner, fighters have different people for different aspects of training, just because someone gets beaten in a fight on TUF doesnt mean they arent of a high standard. They have to be of a good standard to get on there in the first place and Artem has plenty of big wins to justify his place in the original lineup contrary to your opinion he is there just because of McGregor, who by the way isnt his "boss". Out of all the fights his was the one that clearly should have went to a third round.

The guy he fought Baghdad trains with top fighters like Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida and is one of the favourites to win the show. Hes also fought on decent promotions in America and is on peoples radar so it was probably one of the toughest fights Artem could have been landed with.

I dont really see how or why it would reflect badly on either Artem or McGregor if he got beaten twice. Plenty of fighters dont even get the call up for TUF in the first place..ever heard of a lad called Frankie Edgar? Didnt even make the trials the first time he tried out for TUF.

Jaysus I'm in no way offended, dont even care really....if anyone is it seems to be Axwell above lol, I was just expressing my own opinion

Artem had prob the worst record of any of them going in at 11-10 & now probably gets a call back off the back of being Conor's "guy" on there? C'mon like....even his striking was being labeled Pendred like here earlier which is not high praise

Also I doubt he does all that traveling & training with Conor for free, thus he's employed by him making Conor indeed his "boss"

Jaysus I'm in no way offended, dont even care really....if anyone is it seems to be Axwell above lol, I was just expressing my own opinion

Oh sorry didnt know others werent allowed give their opinion on the subject :rolleyes:

As for him being Pendred like, he can only dream of being labeled similar to the GOAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Europe although that Ryan Hall seems like some sort of wizard

Ryan Hall IS a wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm always looking for expert jitz guys who aren't afraid to get straight to the ground and work a sub asap. Absolutely beautiful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bad decision to bring back Artem if that's the case, I'd far rather see the guy who lost the first fight get another shot.

Very good fights throughout the show though. Looks like we could have a decent season for a change.

On a side note, Conor needs to stop carrying the belt everywhere. Arrives on set carrying it. Goes into the changing rooms carrying it. Comes to the table and sets it in front of himself.

And I'm not saying that because it's an interim belt etc, I'd say the same if he had beaten Aldo in July.

Shades of Tim Sylvia...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bad decision to bring back Artem if that's the case, I'd far rather see the guy who lost the first fight get another shot..

Wasn't the first fight the Ryan Hall fight? The other guy Nunez didnt show much in that fight and would hardly be deserving of a call back based on that imo. Sure he didnt get much of a chance, Hall was all over his leg looking for the sub from the early on but that was his chance to show what hes got and he lasted 45 seconds.
    On a side note, Conor needs to stop carrying the belt everywhere. Arrives on set carrying it. Goes into the changing rooms carrying it. Comes to the table and sets it in front of himself.

Thought the first time he walked on set was hilarious with the belt draped across his shoulder. He was probably just hoping Faber was gonna spit shine it for him between fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Axwell wrote: »
    Wasn't the first fight the Ryan Hall fight? .

First European fight. French kickboxer

First European fight. French kickboxer

Yeah brain fart there. Yeah he had a decent fight, theres definitely a few options for the spot. The level of first fights this season was a lot better than most of the previous ones of late.

Artem had prob the worst record of any of them going in at 11-10 & now probably gets a call back off the back of being Conor's "guy" on there? C'mon like....even his striking was being labeled Pendred like here earlier which is not high praise

Also I doubt he does all that traveling & training with Conor for free, thus he's employed by him making Conor indeed his "boss"

WTF is wrong with you? Did you watch the show?

Honest question, who would you have brought back instead of Artem (if it even happens), and why? Artem was by far the most deserving of another chance, even if I don't think he'll do anything with it.

It's been pointed out why before. Feel free to back up your opinion with something other than "he's Conor's friend, it must reflect badly on Conor and mean he's a fraud". Childish games.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he brings'em back again as a fighter & Artem loses again Conor looks like a right mug lol

Not sure how it reflects badly on Conor at all. Artem is his training partner and friend. Of course he should do everything he can to help him. If he put his own "success" on TUF ahead of a partner he'd reflect a lot worse on him.

Faber would do the same if there was a TAM guy. Jones did it when there was a Jackson guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Conor would be 100% in the right to bring Artem back. Sucks to be the other guys when it comes down to a choice like that, but you look after your mates first. Simple as.

In fact I wouldnt be a bit surprised to hear later that Conor engineered the 'extra life' situation by threatening to walk if he couldnt bring back Artem. Not saying thats what happened btw, I just wouldnt be surprised if it came out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to watching Ryan Hall fight. His jiujitsu is mesmerising.

I wasn't disappointed! :)

I really enjoyed the opening episode. A welcome change from the awful previous two seasons of TUF. I hope that trend continues.

Urijah needs to stick to the coaching and less of the "thrash" talk. His insult game is weak to say the least.

Artem should've seen the third round. Absolute war of a fight. Artem will be in the UFC regardless because his fights are exactly the type of thing Dana wants on his cards. Guaranteed entertainment.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    Conor would be 100% in the right to bring Artem back. Sucks to be the other guys when it comes down to a choice like that, but you look after your mates first. Simple as.
    At the end of the day, the only guys affected are the ones who lost. The simple fact is, they didn't win TUF because they lost. Not because Conor picked Artem ahead of them.

Most likely the eventual winner will end up going 5-0 on TUF and none of this will affect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know it's heavily edited, but I think the people that are saying Artem will only get back in because of Conor pulling strings are ignoring the gushing that Dana was doing to Artem when Conor wasn't even in the seat beside him. Dana loves people that come to fight on TUF and seemed very impressed.

People coming back into TUF after losing is nothing new. In TUF 20, Tecia Torres came back in after losing to Randa Markos when Justine Kish got injured. Everyone was questioning why Torres was the one who got the shot, but she was the #3 seed, Dana liked her and Joe Silva/Sean Shelby obviously thought she'd be useful in the UFC by giving her that seed in the first place and thus she came back in. The Latin America season before 20, Guido Cannetti was put straight through to the semi-finals after losing his initial bout as someone pulled out. That's 2 of the last 3 seasons. Lets not pretend this would be a first time thing.

In terms of numbers I think they'll allow Conor and Uriah to bring one each back anyway, which was probably the plan all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'd be a bit pissed if I was the other guys who lost tbh, Artem was unlucky not to get a 3rd round but he looked sloppy and is the smallest guy there. Gouti looked good and I feel bad for the guy who popped his shoulder as he's supposed to be highly rated, its tough **** on them I suppose though. Hopefully old red gets the callup on the yank side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Finally got around to watching this, hall is an absolute beast so is Le! Agree with the rest I taught Artem won when there wasn't going to be a third round, really tough fight Baghdad looks very sharp. There's some crazy good fighters on this season I can see a good few of them being signed!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

giphy.gif

Loved that line, he should be great craic to watch in the house this season.

giphy.gif
    `
    Pretty obvious he's a reddit fan. :pac:

Fair play to him, really looking forward to seeing more of him.

moneyman wrote: »
    `
    Pretty obvious he's a reddit fan. :pac:

Why'd you say that?
    I seen that quoted a lot on reddit but not sure if it meant something before he came out with it

Mellor wrote: »
    Why'd you say that?
    I seen that quoted a lot on reddit but not sure if it meant something before he came out with it

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/they-dont-think-it-be-like-it-is-but-it-do

• Advertisement

Thank you. I figured there was more to it. wp Ryan Hall

Advertisement