Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Options
  • 13-07-2015 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭

Starts in September. Just announced by Dana during the TUF finale.

The coaches WON'T fight, (at least not officially) lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm sat here at the finale, when they said Dana was announcing the next coaches I nudged him and predicted Conor.

Ideally it would be coaching against Aldo but Aldo would probably pull out anyway so no point wasting the promotional budget on it!

This suggests for certain to me that McGregor has an injury and will need surgery. No other reason for having their biggest PPV draw sitting on the sidelines for 6 months.

He's going to take the biggest pis$ out of Faber...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Who from Ireland would you guys like to see on it?? Any word on weight classes?? It came up on fox but no sound to hear what Dana said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

So that's what was happening at cage side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

johnpro wrote: »
    Who from Ireland would you guys like to see on it?? Any word on weight classes?? It came up on fox but no sound to hear what Dana said

He said LIGHTWEIGHT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Conor won't put up with **** if they aren't giving it all id say. Will pull in numbers, that knee will have time to get whatever is needed. John Kavanagh will come out well in it id say. Wonder where the house will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

The last few seasons have been abysmal...this certainly is one way to boost the numbers back up!! Lookin forward to the trash talking already!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dgbg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Looks like the "incident" was a set up now to get hype between coaches.Was wondering why UFC broadcast it , didn't think they would want stuff like that been shown.Conors girlfriend didn't even look surprised by what happened.Why Faber though? Frankie or Aldo would make more sense.

I'd say Conor's knee is a bit goosed and needs work like the rumours going around say. Now, he can get treatment (for whatever is wrong), not worry about an upcoming fight, still schedule to fight Aldo in January with this filling the space and UFC can basically print their own money with the views this will do.

I just hope we get some class Europeans on the team, won't be able to handle the 'Bro, we starched you dudes!!' every week if we lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is brilliant. Just a shame the coaches won't fight. Faber came off the worst of everyone involved in the McGregor v Mendes fight. An even bigger arse than the one on his chin.

Man, Conor needs a holiday :pac:

MMAFighting.com ‏@MMAFighting 5h5 hours ago Sholler: McGregor will stay in the Mac Mansion for another two months. Taping for TUF starts next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

johnpro wrote: »

I'd like to see tom Egan on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Interested to see what Conors like as a coach and what the European fighters are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

dave1982 wrote: »
    Looks like the "incident" was a set up now to get hype between coaches.Was wondering why UFC broadcast it , didn't think they would want stuff like that been shown.Conors girlfriend didn't even look surprised by what happened.Why Faber though? Frankie or Aldo would make more sense.

Think you're being slightly cynical. If the backstage thing was a setup they would have made it look a lot less embarrassing than that!

I would more say that the reaction that incident got from social media and the back and forth they had for a good period of time was the driver of the decision.

They probably had a number of plans in mind depending on how the fight went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think you're being slightly cynical. If the backstage thing was a setup they would have made it look a lot less embarrassing than that!

I would more say that the reaction that incident got from social media and the back and forth they had for a good period of time was the driver of the decision.

They probably had a number of plans in mind depending on how the fight went down.

I agree, I'd say it was pure fluke that they ended up bumping into each other at all and that once UFC got the footage, they felt they just couldn't not show it despite the fact that it is pretty cringe worthy stuff for both of them. No such thing as bad publicity and all that!

The subsequent reaction it got on social media combined with the fact that Conor needs time out (allegedly) and that UFC doesn't seem to have much lined up for Faber after the Edgar loss, they probably just put 2 and 2 together and came up with this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

darced wrote: »

If it was a setup, give Faber an Oscar because the range of emotions he showed in that "scene" were impressive, from jovial mocking, to panic, to WTF just happened to confused smirking.

If it really was a setup, I'm sure the UFC would have gone for something more dramatic like punches thrown and the two lads have to be separated by large bouncers, not awkward tickling and pushing outside a men's bathroom where some scrawny UFC operations guy is able to break up two bad-ass MMA fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

They're really milking conor for everything he's worth, just when tuf looks done for they pull thus out. No harm he gets a rest from fighting IMO.

Hazys wrote: »
    If it was a setup, give Faber an Oscar because the range of emotions he showed in that "scene" were impressive, from jovial mocking, to panic, to WTF just happened to confused smirking.

Exactly!

Faber was so confused about the whole thing and Conor who looked to go into fight mode from being hungry and dehydrated and then realised what he was doing and just headed straight into the jacks. If that was setup, it was very poorly done.

The look on Faber's face standing in the hallway on his own was gas, like WTF

• Advertisement

No harm he gets a rest from fighting IMO.

Yeah, I mean ideally I (we) want to see him fight about 4 times a year but now he gets a break, heal up, wait for Jose, not have to cut weight and just have a laugh with Faber.

So, if this is filming in 2 weeks time, they must already have the lads audition for it, like a specific set of europeans and US fighters? I wonder for how long Conor and Faber been booked.

Also, does anyone know how long TUF filming goes on for. I imagine it will be finished by the time UFC Dublin comes around?

From all Faber's interviews about Conor and the recent embedded series the impression I got was that Faber wants to be Conor. I think he very much (maybe not so secretly) admires him and wishes his personality was more like Conor's.

I've never seen an embedded series where a fighter's coach tried so hard to steal the limelight and constantly talk trash to his fighter's opponent. It felt like Faber was trying to live vicariously through Mendes. Faber has said in numerous interviews that he'd love to fight Conor, he probably never will at this stage of his career but TUF gives him the next best thing. I've a feeling that Faber will be overly try hard in this series trying to keep up with Conor and he'll get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Predictions for this series.....

1) Faber forgets to pack any shirts and spends the entire series topless.
    2) Team Faber never actually learn each other's names because they are calling each other bro/dude/man so much.
    3) Dominic Cruz & Gunnar Nelson to appear as guest coaches for McGregor. Bisping & Gustaffson outside shots for these spots.
    4) Team Faber/USA to majorly underestimate Team Europe (a la series 9: UK vs USA).
    5. Team USA to devote 90% of training to wrestling. Chad Mendes and Daniel Cormier to guest coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean ideally I (we) want to see him fight about 4 times a year but now he gets a break, heal up, wait for Jose, not have to cut weight and just have a laugh with Faber.

So, if this is filming in 2 weeks time, they must already have the lads audition for it, like a specific set of europeans and US fighters? I wonder for how long Conor and Faber been booked.

Also, does anyone know how long TUF filming goes on for. I imagine it will be finished by the time UFC Dublin comes around?

Yeah, tryouts have been done. Artem tried out and detailed his experience with SevereMMA last week:

http://severemma.com/2015/07/inside-mac-mansion-with-artem-lobov/

Lightweight is stacked but Europe might get smoked in this. When you consider that they'll also have to be competent enough in English to communicate somewhat in front of the cameras that rules out a canny amount of potential fighters too I'd imagine. Here's a list of those who tried out (only 7 Europeans):

Lightweights:

Adam Townsend (12-3, Tennessee)
    Anselmo Luna (11-4, Texas) (Made it to Round 3)
    Darrell Horcher (11-1, Pennsylvania)
    Brandon Ricetti (7-1, California)
    Eric Irvin (9-3, Missouri)
    Dominique Robinson (9-4-1, California)
    Dave Courchaine (18-6, Washington)
    Michael McBride (7-1, Iowa)
    Justin Jaynes (6-3, Michigan)
    Zach Juusola (10-3, Minnesota)
    Jimmy Spicuzza (6-2, Nevada)
    Jamie Harrison (6-1, Florida)
    Jarel Askew (9-2, Alaska) (Made it past 2 rounds)
    Mario Soto (6-1, California) (Made it past 2 rounds)
    Thanh Le (4-1, Louisiana)
    EJ Brooks (8-3, Illinois)
    Josh Emmett (7-0, California)
    Stephen Regman (4-1, New Jersey)
    Christian Aguilera (4-0, California)
    Gaston Reyno (3-0, Missouri)
    Zach Fears (3-0, Missouri)
    Mike Wilkins (4-2, Pennsylvania)
    Danny Navarro (13-5, California)
    Josh Bacallao (6-3, Florida)
    Dave Mazany (11-5, Alaska)
    Josh Blyden (3-0, Georgia)
    Javier Palacios (3-0, New Mexico)
    Lee Henry Lilly (3-2, Nevada)
    Jason Manly (3-0, California) (Made it past 3 rounds)
    Nikko Cataline (5-2, California)
    Jason Novelli (7-1, Washington)
    Austin Tweedy (5-1, Indiana)
    Drakkar Klose (3-0, Arizona)
    Garrett Gross (6-3, Illinois)
    Elvin Brito (7-3, Florida)
    Ryan Dickson (10-3, Ontario)
    Mandel Nallo (3-0, BC)
    Nick Hrabec (3-1, Alberta)
    Gil Guardado (3-1, Nevada)
    Oriol Gaset (16-8, Spain)
    Oliver Enkamp (4-0, Sweden)
    Fernando Gonzalez (6-1, Sweden)
    David Teymur (3-1, Sweden)
    Jonatas Novaes (12-5, Brazil)

Featherweights moving up:

Andres Quintana (8-1, New Mexico) (Announced he made the final cut)
    Austin Springer (8-0, Washington)
    Vince Eazelle (9-1, Illinois) (Made it past 3 rounds)
    Mark Dickman (10-2, Missouri)
    Saul Almeida (18-5, Massachusetts)
    Daniel Swain (12-4-1, Washington)
    Jordan Griffin (9-4, Wisconsin)
    Nick Novelli (4-0, Alaska)
    Shane Burgos (6-0, New Jersey)
    Jason Knight (11-2, Mississippi)
    Anthony Avila (12-4, California) (Made it past 2 rounds)
    Nate Jennerman (5-1, Wisconsin)
    Kevin Vazquez (3-0, Wisconsin)
    Anthony Baccam (6-4, Iowa)
    Derek Formoso (3-1, California)
    Erick Sanchez (4-1, California)
    Kamuela Kirk (3-1, Arizona)
    Ian Millan (5-1, California)
    Skyler Frazier (3-1, Utah)
    Kyle Nelson (6-0, Ontario)
    Parwez Ghulam (5-1, Alberta)
    Lenny Wheeler (10-3, PEI)
    Matt Dimarcantonio (6-5, Ontario)
    Frantz Slioa (4-0, Sweden)
    Martin Svensson (14-5, Sweden)
    Artem Lobov (11-10-1, Ireland)

Bantamweights moving up 2 classes:

Randy Steinke (15-8-1, Arizona)
    Gustavo Lopez (3-1, Washington)
    Jeremiah Labiano (8-2, California) (Made it past the first round)
    Rudy Morales (3-2, Nevada)
    Arnold Berdon (2-0, Hawaii)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

When are we going to get Conors Homecoming celebration. I assued it'd be Thurs/Fri and then he'd head to Glasgow for Sat nights card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yes. I'd imagine it went down something like this:

Dana - "We want you to coach TUF. Here's a cheque for a million dollars."

Conor & Faber "Ok"

As for "The camera man just happening to be there"...it's a live televised event, there's cameras everywhere - back stage, the locker rooms, fighters arriving at the venue, they could have been doing some stuff similar to embedded etc. Conor is a superstar, there is going to be a camera on him 90% of the time.

Its not like Conor and Faber were on two different continents and they just happened to meet each other in a hallway randomly and there just happened to be a random cameraman there.

They were both in dressing rooms next to each other which probably shared the same bathroom so it was high probability that they could bump into each other.

Camera man just happening to be there...you do know both Conor and Chad were being filmed almost 24/7 leading up to the fight right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So this was all signed and sealed in two days all with Conor fighting for a title and partying the night away after.I dont buy it.

It immediately looked staged to me with the camera man just happening to be there,come on.

They were filming for the embedded series, a crew were with Mendes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Interested to see what Conors like as a coach and what the European fighters are like.

I imagine the actual coaching will be left to JK

Advertisement