Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great first episode. Good fights and good banter. I thinks it's nearly better the coaches aren't fighting at the end of it, means Conoe can be more relaxed. That Ryan Hall fella was unreal, sprawl for your life against him. Le had some unreal strikes as well. Some tough euro nuts on as well.

Artem will definitely get a callback. I'm fairly sure I saw the Hooligan walk past the coaches at one point. And fair play Tom Egan getting to play such a big part!

Relieved to see Conor in training gear in the next ep, was half expecting him to stay in suits.

The 'grab a card and shake that chin', 10-9 to McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The 'grab a card and shake that chin', 10-9 to McGregor.

Fabers best effort was to call Conor cantaloupe head. Watermelons are clearly bigger, missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"What's a cantaloupe?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Great start to the show, have been a big fan of Ryan Hall for years and its great to see how effective his grappling will be in the cage. Also a huge advantage for the americans to have him on their team.
    Disappointed for Artem, was convinced the decision was his from the first round, im sure he'll get the call back.
    Thanh Le's striking was very impressive, looking forward to seeing him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DATABOY

DeVore wrote: »
    I also figured that Artem had won when they said it wasn't going to a third, I'm not entirely sure how that could happen since he pretty clearly won the first imho. Could they have scored the first as a draw? Is that even possible?

Everything else having been said, I think Artem did us proud in terms of representing the country. Seems like a nice guy and was gracious in the face of a dodgy judges decision. Lets hope things pick up for him.

Disagree with your assessment tbh. 1st round was close maybe a draw but I thought the other guy just shaded it. And yes it can go to a draw. Artem defo lost the second. In no way way was it a dodgy decision imo. Very gracious in defeat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think it's pretty obvious that Artem gets back in, even a look at the official preview the UFC released prior to the first episode essentially shows it. Not sure how it'll work with numbers, maybe someone suffers an injury and it offers a route back in, I thought when Sikic popped his shoulder that that was going to be how he got back in, but alas Lloveras won.

While most of us will be biased towards Artem, I think if anyone looks at it objectively he's the one who deserves to come back in such a scenario based on what we were shown. I felt he won the 1st round and was given what was arguably the toughest draw if reports from people who know much more about Baghdad than me are to be believed.

As for the other fights - Hall, Le and Gruetzemacher all stood out for me. Coincidentally all Americans. Teymur v Gouti was a great fight. Teymur was lucky the fight finished when it did IMO as Gouti looked to have him badly rocked. I'd love to have seen another 30 seconds of that one!

There's a market up for the winning team too on Ladbrokes. Faber 8/11 vs McGregor EVS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Does him favouriting my tweet mean he does get back in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Do fighters in TUF have to continually cut weight for their fights?

Or do they try and matain 155?

Lukker- wrote: »

Maintain I would assume

• Advertisement

Some big looking dudes for 155

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »

They cut for each fight, the fight picks should take that into account.
    stephenl15 wrote: »
    Maintain I would assume
    Most wouldn't be able to maintain 155 for more than a few hours. They don't weight 155 in the cage.

Mellor wrote: »
    They cut for each fight, the fight picks should take that into account.

Most wouldn't be able to maintain 155 for more than a few hours. They don't weight 155 in the cage.

Sorry I didn't mean that they kept rigorously under 155 throughout, just not go all the way up to their normal weight, just a weight that they could easily cut to 155 from

Sorry I didn't mean that they kept rigorously under 155 throughout, just not go all the way up to their normal weight, just a weight that they could easily cut to 155 from
    They dehydrate for the weigh-in. Then fully re-hydrate for the fight.
    They'd stay at that fully hydrated weigh, ie their actual weight, until the next fight and repeat the process.
    But lot of guys on TUF enter the weight class closer to their normal weight to make repeat cuts easier (eg Pendred fought at MW on TUF)

They'd (ideally) avoid putting on bodyfat that they'd have to shed during the show. But that's different to cutting weight. And prob not even possible with a full training schedule and a proper diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Who does everyone think has the better team? I think Europe is looking good.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Who does everyone think has the better team? I think Europe is looking good.

Europe although that Ryan Hall seems like some sort of wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Europe although that Ryan Hall seems like some sort of wizard

Ryan Hall was very impressive, I think the Europeans are far more experienced, and really leave everything out there. the European fights were far better then the American ones too.

Simply Red wrote: »
    Great start to the show, have been a big fan of Ryan Hall for years and its great to see how effective his grappling will be in the cage. Also a huge advantage for the americans to have him on their team.

His entry to the legs wasn't as flawless as he is capable of but once it was tangled up it was all his. Had to laugh at the other guy, who was maybe getting out when he turned away, but instead turned back and put his leg into 50/50 guard. Not smart vrs Ryan.

Hall-5050-L-01.gif

I think faber seemed a bit bummed out that non of the team USA guys were wrestling dominant. He made a remark that his team were eclectic at worst.This would mean stand up may be the order of the day, in which case I go Europe. The Asian American guy will take a hard beating but some large guys at 155 there.

everyone seems to think Artem is a shoe in to come back but that French guy who fought the muay Thai champ was class. He seemed to have his guard down a lot but it didn't really take away from him. His body language made him seem fearless too. He'd be tougher I think than artem. To be honest Artem annoyed me with the swaggering in the first round brushing off his shoulders etc. I think Conors style seems to have rubbed off on him and he cannot carry it, especially as a Russian.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Wouldn't want to see Artem back in there. He was very underwhelming. As someone posted above, very Pendre-esq.

Brennan Sevin was far more entertaining. Or Tim Welch. Both are much more suitable candidates for a return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

rusty cole wrote: »
    everyone seems to think Artem is a shoe in to come back but that French guy who fought the muay Thai champ was class. He seemed to have his guard down a lot but it didn't really take away from him. His body language made him seem fearless too. He'd be tougher I think than artem. To be honest Artem annoyed me with the swaggering in the first round brushing off his shoulders etc. I think Conors style seems to have rubbed off on him and he cannot carry it, especially as a Russian.

While it's obviously going to be Artem, I have to agree with the above. Thibault Gouti is the French lad's name who fought and lost to the Swedish Muay Thai champ (David Teymur). Both of those guys looked like excellent strikers and Gouti was quite unlucky to have drawn Teymur - IMO he is definitely the most deserving of a second shot at it.

yes that's him, he was very tough I thought, I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

theteal wrote: »
    "What's a cantaloupe?" :D
    That awkward moment when you have to explain the joke..

Man, Artem was so broken up after the fight, he sounded like a little boy when talking to Faber and Dana.

"They don't want to be coached by a loser".

I reckon Europe and USA will bring 1 back each respectively, I think for the USA, Welch will come back. He had a pretty good performance and I thought he was well on top in he took a monster kick to the liver from a monster for 155.

For anyone wondering who Conor brings back, it confirms it in a preview clip when
    Cody from TAM pushes Conor.
    Artem
    in the back trying to get between them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    For anyone wondering who Conor brings back, it confirms it in a preview clip when
    Cody from TAM pushes Conor.
    Artem
    in the back trying to get between them

I think you're prob right but
    there's also a chance he's there as a coach

xtal191 wrote: »
    I think you're prob right but
    there's also a chance he's there as a coach

Ah yeah didn't think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

If he brings'em back again as a fighter & Artem loses again Conor looks like a right mug lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I think the Euro that won the very first fight is a good shout to win. He looked smooth and comfortable, and he was fighting an extremely tough opponent who probably would have beat most other winners, either US or Euro. I'd have him as favourite. The next two guys I really liked were the Asian American guy, his striking and athleticism was insane, and the last American guy to fight - the one who put an absolute beatdown on his opponent. He looks like the guy that people don't see as a serious threat, but just turns out to be better than everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Pulse8 wrote: »
    If he brings'em back again as a fighter & Artem loses again Conor looks like a right mug lol

Not really, I'd imagine the losers that come back would be expected to lose in their first bouts. Hardly going to make either coach look like a right mug.

Advertisement