Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Episode 1 only airing tonight here, i feel like i've probably already seen all the worthwhile highlights already

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

They were both very poor. Sasha looked beaten from early in the second. Hope conor doesn't go overboard lashing him out of it in front of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Very disappointing showing from Sascha, after he easily won the first round and looked good doing it. He's obviously good on the ground but he was far too willing to sacrifice position in the hope of setting up subs and it cost him. Did he think he was winning on the ground maybe?

His movement on bottom in round two was very good to be fair, so I think he could have got back to his feet quite easily if he really wanted to. So frustrating to watch when he could have won it in two rounds by keeping it on the feet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

just... bizarre...

Its like Conor said, he got a triangle in the first and its like he fell in love with it.
    Theres a difference between your corner just shouting "Stand up" and your corner shouting "Keep it standing up!" ... The American on his feet was slow, eating shots and didn't seem to have a credible threat... Its understandable to make a bad decision in the heat of a fight but to consistently and repeatedly make that decision round after round against the advice of your corner... just... bizarre...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He did eat one massive knee to the body just before he started to continuously keep it on the ground. It's possible that hurt him and he was trying to avoid another similar shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sascha gassed, could barley make it to his feet after the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

A peek behind the curtain at the "real" McGregor here, thought it a very poignant moment for'em & was surprised he had no comeback

https://streamable.com/5qli

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Pulse8 wrote: »
    A peek behind the curtain at the "real" McGregor here, thought it a very poignant moment for'em & was surprised he had no comeback

I think even Uriah was surprised there that he just agreed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Slightly off topic but i noticed this this morning, no way the lad with the usa headband is just sitting there with a fag hanging out his mouth? am i seeing things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Watching this now, there is not an ounch of wrestling or Jiu Jitsu in Gritz, he's literally just a brawler. Sashca was just so poor from guard that gritz was able to manhandle him. It was a really messy fight to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pulse8 wrote: »

There is no comeback, what Faber is saying is right and McGregor knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Anyone get a newsletter code for the TUF sale this evening?

Didnt get anything in the inbox & Ticketmaster lists a "UFC Sale" today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have to say Faber comes across as genuine sound fella. Regarding McGregors supposed lack of enthusiasm i think i saw an interview recently where he admitted he didnt really want to do it but after a few days he got stuck into it. i say we will gradually see this over the next few weeks

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Whats McGregor supposed to do about Sascha's performance? He fought stupidly, you cant train intelligence into someone!

He was told what to do, repeatedly (if it wasn't already obvious to him) ... he chose not to do it. At some point these guys have to take responsibility for their own actions and Sascha made bad calls that no amount of training is going to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great episode aside from from the shyte fight. Obvious from the first round that Sasha did NOT like getting hit but it was horrible to watch him pull guard constantly and look for a sub but then watch him get bust open on the ground. Actually great to see Conor get so invested, not the whole 'in it for himself' he wants people to believe. Puts him in a much better light.

Best part was the whole TJ and Ludwig convo, Conor saying it like it is. That mixed with Fabers rant about Bang during the week is pointing to this subject being the highlight of the season.

Bit cringey Artem trying to stick up for Conor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depp wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but i noticed this this morning, no way the lad with the usa headband is just sitting there with a fag hanging out his mouth? am i seeing things?

Ye I noticed that too. Very strange

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I don't think it matters how many training sessions McGregor shows up to if the fighter can't follow simple instructions.

Whatever about the first two rounds he was told straight before the start of the third round - stay on your feet & let your fists go, don't go to your back, stay on top - round starts & he shoots, within the first 5 seconds he's on his back with his opponent on top of him.

Not sure whether it would have changed the outcome but I'd like to have seen him keep it standing, I can understand McGregors frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye I noticed that too. Very strange

Its definitely what it is aswel you can see the brown of the filter, didnt think thatd be allowed much less be allowed to be shown on television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think it matters how many training sessions McGregor shows up to if the fighter can't follow simple instructions.

It's like Mike Tyson says. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That guys fight IQ is shocking but seeing Conor effing and blinding, and shouting 'Up!' the whole time isn't good. He should really be in the corner too. When he jumped for that takedown a second into the 3rd I kind of hoped that Conor would jump in and kill him himself though.

Gritz was getting a bit of hype but he's average and you could see it from the entry fight where he ate loads of shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Do people not realize that he was 100% gassed going into the third, getting a takedown was basically his only chance.

Check 35.38 the guy is so fcuked that he isn't even trying to hide it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depp wrote: »
    Its definitely what it is aswel you can see the brown of the filter, didnt think thatd be allowed much less be allowed to be shown on television

Why would it not be allowed on television?
    Or in real-life for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Corner: Now you're to stay on your feet. Attack standing up. Stay on your feet. You have him if you stay on your feet.

Sasha: Right. *Nods head affirmatively

bell rings*

Sasha goes to ground

Corner just despairs*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's what being a coach is all about.

You talk to any level of coach in any sport and they'll have the exact same story.

The good coaches though will have a few, maybe not alot, stories of when the guy actually stood up!

If it was just as simple as doing what you're coach told you there'd be no doubt as to who where the best coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not a single comment on Conor not bothering to corner his fighter and instead sits ringside calling his a b*tch and a p*ssy? What kind of coach sits at ringside screaming insults at his fighter.

I can completely understand his frustration, but that was way out of line in my opinion!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not a single comment on Conor not bothering to corner his fighter and instead sits ringside calling his a b*tch and a p*ssy? What kind of coach sits at ringside screaming insults at his fighter.

I can completely understand his frustration, but that was way out of line in my opinion!

Why is it an issue if he's not in the corner? Conor has Owen Roddy and Tom Egan to corner for his team. Two guys that have a lot more experience than McGregor has when it comes to coaching and cornering.

I thought it was the smart move by Conor to leave the coaching/cornering to the real coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

John_D80 wrote: »
    Why is it an issue if he's not in the corner? Conor has Owen Roddy and Tom Egan to corner for his team. Two guys that have a lot more experience than McGregor has when it comes to coaching and cornering.

I thought it was the smart move by Conor to leave the coaching/cornering to the real coaches.

well in that case he should just stfu and let the corner coaches do the coaching.

Can't stand back seat coaches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

John_D80 wrote: »

My main issue isn't him not being in the corner, it's the abuse he was shouting at the guy. He doesn't want to corner the guy, but he still wants to scream out instructions and then starts calling him a b*tch and a p*ssy. Out of order IMO.

Are there specific rules to being a cornerman over there?

He was out of line and shouldn't have been having a go at the guy in the dressing room after. Sascha was breathing very hard at the start of the second round, let alone in the third.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    My main issue isn't him not being in the corner, it's the abuse he was shouting at the guy. He doesn't want to corner the guy, but he still wants to scream out instructions and then starts calling him a b*tch and a p*ssy. Out of order IMO.

IMO McGregor was well within his rights to feel annoyed at the way the fight was going and at the way his fighter was throwing away what should have been a comfortable win in 2 rounds. People might be critical of him as a coach and the amount of time he spends with fighters but at the end of the day he is giving up his personal time to do this show. I'd be pissed off as well.

He called the guy a few names in the heat of the moment. Big deal. He's a grown man and a professional fighter, Im sure he can handle it.

Did you not see Mcgregor speaking plainly (albeit brutally honestly) and very calmly after the fight in the dressing room? If he was animated and a bit OTT during the fight it was because he wanted to give the lad a bit of kick in the arse as he was throwing the fight away.

Advertisement