Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Watching Harley Quinn, it does make me a bit regretful that we probably won't see Joker in his true form in live action anytime soon.

The full on absurd homicidal nutter who has his goons dressed in purple along with all his whacky Joker themed gadgets; perhaps it would difficult to translate but I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Drumpot wrote: »
    Been watching the Nolan trilogy the last week. Any future films will struggle badly to be anywhere near as good. Also good luck to anybody trying to bring a better joker to the screen.

I’m really interested to see how this turns out but can’t imagine there ever being a better Batman movie. Actually I can’t imagine a better comicbook trilogy/story of any sort to be fair.

lots of rumours of macaulay culkin being approached to be the joker in this series of films

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I really enjoyed Joker aswell but it didn’t really feel like a Batman movie and I’m not sure I will ever watch it again. Prob couldn’t of been more different if it was trying so it doesn’t really feel like it’s an alternative to Nolan’s Joker and it was a great standalone piece that doesn’t need any extended story in the Batman universe (although it might get one).

This is the problem with reboots or extensions of loved characters, it’s so hard not to compare with older movies. I think the dark Knight is possibly the best film I’ve ever seen in the cinema because of my expectations going in (was excited for months) and how it didn’t just surpass but blew those expectations out of the water.

I think in terms of Batman Pattinson is a really interesting choice who could be a good (and at same time not the obvious choice) Batman like Ledger was joker (there was initially uproar when he was chosen).

I felt the same way about Joker, but forced myself to watch it a second time. Noticed a lot of nuance i didnt see the first time. But anyways; im heavily tempering my expectations about this Batman film; setting ourselves up for a fall to expect it to be like Nolans. And if they take the more 'real world' approach i think they are setting themselves up to fail too. I think it will need a little bit of fanaticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

peteeeed wrote: »
    lots of rumours of macaulay culkin being approached to be the joker in this series of films

Really? I honestly don’t know what to say about that.

Baggly wrote: »
    I felt the same way about Joker, but forced myself to watch it a second time. Noticed a lot of nuance i didnt see the first time. But anyways; im heavily tempering my expectations about this Batman film; setting ourselves up for a fall to expect it to be like Nolans. And if they take the more 'real world' approach i think they are setting themselves up to fail too. I think it will need a little bit of fanaticism.

I was thinking that aswell, until the Nolan Batman’s have aged (which they haven’t one bit) I’d be staying away from real world approaches to Batman. They are on a hiding to nothing trying that out.

It’s funny cause I think batman is possibly one of the few super hero’s who can survive in a real world universe. Can any big super hero of marvel be in a non fantasy world ? Obviously you can’t have superman in the RW but as a villian Lex Luther is probably one of the best potential RL baddies.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that aswell, until the Nolan Batman’s have aged (which they haven’t one bit) I’d be staying away from real world approaches to Batman. They are on a hiding to nothing trying that out.

It’s funny cause I think batman is possibly one of the few super hero’s who can survive in a real world universe. Can any big super hero of marvel be in a non fantasy world ? Obviously you can’t have superman in the RW but as a villian Lex Luther is probably one of the best potential RL baddies.

Im not going to get into the definition of 'big' with you, but i suppose Black Widow / Daredevil would be about it. And strictly speaking MCU Daredevil hasnt been in a MCU movie so.....

If you ignore the serum part and just take CA: Winter Solider, i think thats about as 'real' as the MCU can get.

Baggly wrote: »
    Im not going to get into the definition of 'big' with you, but i suppose Black Widow / Daredevil would be about it. And strictly speaking MCU Daredevil hasnt been in a MCU movie so.....

If you ignore the serum part and just take CA: Winter Solider, i think thats about as 'real' as the MCU can get.

CA could be a self righteous online super hero. Doling out lectures to people so they can be inspired to be better.

The daredevil on Netflix was very very good to be fair.

Black widow and Hawkeye always stuck out in the marvel movies for me so I agree they could equally have their own “real” universe but that would prob just feel like a James Bondy or Bourne (Renner of course has played this) kind of movie.

I think what’s unique about Nolan’s movies is how well they work as a comicbook movie or just an action movie (like die hard). You really can watch them as either because they are so well made.

A discussion for another time in another thread methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "Gotham" TV series' Penguin wasn't large either; instead they gave him a gammy leg that made him waddle like the bird. I'd take a guess this is the same approach with Farrell's version.

• Advertisement

Did Jonah Hill really think that he was worth $10M, to play penguin??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Did Jonah Hill really think that he was worth $10M, to play penguin??

Accordingly Jonah Hill got 10 million for 22 Jump Street. But that was a sequel to a high grossing movie and that was 6 years ago.
    Maybe he was just going high with the hopes they'd agree. Maybe he really didn't give a balls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

pixelburp wrote: »
    The "Gotham" TV series' Penguin wasn't large either; instead they gave him a gammy leg that made him waddle like the bird. I'd take a guess this is the same approach with Farrell's version.
    The way he's standing in that pic, with one foot turned out to the side a fair bit, makes me think it'll be like Gotham as well. No issues here if that's the case.

I enjoyed the Gotham take but I'd say Farrell will go for a different approach.

Farrell will do more overt menace I would feel, as opposed to Gotham's unhinged version

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Characterisation, sure; Gotham's Penguin (from what I recall) was quite a weasel'y kind of figure. The physical manifestation of "Penguin" though is kind of a pre-requisite, and going by Farrell's stance in that photo, appears to be in his gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Looking forward to seeing what the suit and batmobile look like. I am sure we will see pics soon.

Seeing some youtuber guy state that he has good sources that the batmobile will be some sort of muscle car, so no fancy tank like machine like the last couple of incarnations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The boy looks good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

I got a bit of a Dredd vibe from it.

The suit looks great. I wonder is the bat symbol on the front a weapon of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cool! Looks relatively practical and agile for a Bat-suit.

Really glad he's not a lumbering hulk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Man Alive! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The replies!

That's Michael Giacchino on the music! This is gonna be epic!

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/1228096836633812992

Someone made a Black and White version!

https://twitter.com/imPatrickT/status/1228098246708465669

Lots of mention of the Netflix Daredevil intro.. which is understandable given the red colour being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh my god. It looks bloody wonderful. The whole tone of the presentation just feels so damn intense.

The ears on the cowl would have been another sweetener for the eyes. But I'm happy with this look to date.

Matt Reeves. You're a flipping genius.

I like the suit but it's going to take some getting used to the face.

music is great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Honest opinion... The suit is missing nipples.

That's a really good suit. Distinctive and striking, definitely its own thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Looks great, online chatter on twitter is that the bat symbol on the suit is made from the gun used to kill his parents....

Shall look forward to seeing a full photo

Advertisement