Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The bloating of the cast continues; John Turturro to play Carmine Falcone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Starting to feel like we're going to be getting a live action version of The Long Halloween..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I got the impression Falcone was a serious enough character. Has Turturro played such a serious character? His transformers role comes to mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Starting to feel like we're going to be getting a live action version of The Long Halloween..

I read previously that's the story they've taking inspiration from.

Hoping for a two face announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

its going to cost a fortune in wages alone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    its going to cost a fortune in wages alone

Is it though? They're all famous names but scarcely headliners that'd command huge salaries. More of a strong HBO ensemble kind of cast. Heck, if the script's strong and the producer/director well enough liked, some might be working on a reduced rate.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is it though? They're all famous names but scarcely headliners that'd command huge salaries. More of a strong HBO ensemble kind of cast. Heck, if the script's strong and the producer/director well enough liked, some might be working on a reduced rate.

i'm all in , DC looks like its making a conscious effort to move back to the real world (well as much as it can) after zack snyder and suicide squad , where the tone and the baddies were all over the shop . i liked man of steel and most of batman v superman but after that it was a complete mess bar wonder woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

A lot of them might look at the Joker box office and take a backend percentage instead of an up front paycheck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

It’s shaping up to be a nice cast but how many of them would actually demand huge wages? It’s hardly the same level of names as the Nolan films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A lot of them might look at the Joker box office and take a backend percentage instead of an up front paycheck

They’d have the world’s most optimistic agents then. They might as well ask for a cut of the merchandise while they’re at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

How will this connect to the DC Universe, seeing as Affleck's Batman was already in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

i'm all in , DC looks like its making a conscious effort to move back to the real world (well as much as it can) after zack snyder and suicide squad , where the tone and the baddies were all over the shop . i liked man of steel and most of batman v superman but after that it was a complete mess bar wonder woman

Have to agree. I liked Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman but was not gone on Justice League, had to turn off Suicide Squad and same with Aquaman. Did not see Shazam and this upcoming Green Lantern thing does not sound good either. Batman proper is what we need and it is good we are seeing a return to this.

How will this connect to the DC Universe, seeing as Affleck's Batman was already in it?

I think it would be best to park that form of Batman. A reboot is best here with a Batman similar to the Burton and Nolan eras.

I also find that these multi-character films tend to work best for Marvel but not so much DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Bale did well in the end out of Nolan's films but I'd say Affleck's pay agreement was fairly hefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have to agree. I liked Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman but was not gone on Justice League, had to turn off Suicide Squad and same with Aquaman. Did not see Shazam and this upcoming Green Lantern thing does not sound good either. Batman proper is what we need and it is good we are seeing a return to this.

Shazam, WW and Aquaman was effectively DC making marvel movies. It why they did so well.

I’d look forward to watching MOS and BvS again then most of not all marvel movies. They are just so cleanly cut, I love the rough/dark feel of the Snyder universe

It’s not that I don’t like marvel movies, I think they are usually very good/enjoyable when I see them but I seldom go back after a few years and watch them again. Maybe it’s because individually they don’t really add up to much because they are part of the wider story

Possibly the most unique marvel movie was GOTG. I hated the idea of that movie but it was possibly the most fun movie of the stable with Ragnorak a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Peter Sarsgaard is in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

As Harvey Dent, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colin as Penguin seems to be confirmed now by Matt Reeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Filming in London? That could be a very welcome change of aesthetic from New York etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chicago has been Gotham's most recent / blatant inspiration, being as it was used for shooting the two Nolan Batman sequels; though Batman Begins had more of a shanty-town feel about it, The Narrows based on Kowloon in Hong Kong, so the feel of the city changed quite a bit even within that trilogy.

I'm guessing the London buildings will double again for Arkham, maybe Wayne Manor; the older parts of Gotham anyway.

Who knows though. IIRC, World War Z actually shot its downtown Philadelphia scenes in Glasgow; that city's based on a grid, its architectural style very similar those downtown across the Atlantic. It would take very little effort to dress its streets as American.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chicago has been Gotham's most recent / blatant inspiration, being as it was used for shooting the two Nolan Batman sequels;

Ah, you're right actually. Bit of research and it seems Nolan used mostly Chicago and, particularly in ...Rises, a handful of other cities – including London! – for Gotham City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City#Films

So filming in London, again, doesn't mean much in itself. But I hope they make it more interesting and unique than Nolan's New York-inspired take on it. Found that a weak point of those films, particularly in the second two.

Ha! Well I did say it could pass for a US city :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Goodshape wrote: »
    But I hope they make it more interesting and unique than Nolan's New York-inspired take on it. Found that a weak point of those films, particularly in the second two.

To be fair, that's hardly a Nolan inspiration... It's straight from the comics. Gotham and Metropolis were always meant to represent grimey/cleaner versions of New York respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Studios don't do that any more - it's very rare.

Only if they need someone unique - like Ford for The Force Awakens.

Nobody on this is going to get a slice of the box office.

Been watching the Nolan trilogy the last week. Any future films will struggle badly to be anywhere near as good. Also good luck to anybody trying to bring a better joker to the screen.

I’m really interested to see how this turns out but can’t imagine there ever being a better Batman movie. Actually I can’t imagine a better comicbook trilogy/story of any sort to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I love Ledgers joker, but was pleased with Phoenix's take as well.

It wasnt necessarily better in all the same ways. It was different. Like i could take both.

Im hoping they do the same here with Batman. Wont try to compete but will bring his own take to the table.

• Advertisement

Baggly wrote: »
    I love Ledgers joker, but was pleased with Phoenix's take as well.

It wasnt necessarily better in all the same ways. It was different. Like i could take both.

Im hoping they do the same here with Batman. Wont try to compete but will bring his own take to the table.

I really enjoyed Joker aswell but it didn’t really feel like a Batman movie and I’m not sure I will ever watch it again. Prob couldn’t of been more different if it was trying so it doesn’t really feel like it’s an alternative to Nolan’s Joker and it was a great standalone piece that doesn’t need any extended story in the Batman universe (although it might get one).

This is the problem with reboots or extensions of loved characters, it’s so hard not to compare with older movies. I think the dark Knight is possibly the best film I’ve ever seen in the cinema because of my expectations going in (was excited for months) and how it didn’t just surpass but blew those expectations out of the water.

I think in terms of Batman Pattinson is a really interesting choice who could be a good (and at same time not the obvious choice) Batman like Ledger was joker (there was initially uproar when he was chosen).

Advertisement