Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ongarboy wrote: »
    The TK Maxx stores that opened in Tralee and Killarney employ about 40 to 50 staff each so I expect similar in Castlebar as all stores are fairly similar in size across the country apart from maybe their massive one in Blanchardstown. I doubt they'd all be full time positions though.

As I mentioned before, hopefully the contracts are not Zero Hour, as it will do nothing for the unemployed of the town as the majority will not be able to take up the positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, hopefully the contracts are not Zero Hour, as it will do nothing for the unemployed of the town as the majority will not be able to take up the positions.

Unless a contract is 19 hours or above then its practically useless to someone on social welfare.
    I had an interview with lidl for a 10 hour contract but couldn't take it as they may have needed me for more so my social welfare claim would have been stopped on certain weeks.
    At least with a 19 hour contract I could apply for family income supplement and come off the live register.
    I'm currently on a 10 hour contract but my current employer won't ask me to come in more than 3 days so its handy until something full-time comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

It depends on what sort of contacts they offer, hopefully they do not use zero hour contracts as that rules out the majority of unemployed people and couple them with a handful of permanent positions, Next seems to love that model.

This answers that:

TJX Europe is a growth vehicle for the TJX Companies, Inc. – the world’s leading off-price fashion and home ware retailer with sales of nearly $29.1 billion*, more than 3,300 stores in six countries and approximately 198,000 Associates (TJX Europe includes TK Maxx in UK & Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and HomeSense).

With extensive career options, TJX Europe is one of the most successful and exciting retailers thanks to our business model of no-frills stores with opportunistic buying. So our savvy shoppers get top fashion & home ware brands for up to 60% less.

As a growing business the new store in Castlebaris due to open soon!

We are looking for Sales Associates ranging from 8 – 20 hour contracts over seven days a week with a passion for service to join our new team.

yorlum11 wrote: »
    This answers that:

TJX Europe is a growth vehicle for the TJX Companies, Inc. – the world’s leading off-price fashion and home ware retailer with sales of nearly $29.1 billion*, more than 3,300 stores in six countries and approximately 198,000 Associates (TJX Europe includes TK Maxx in UK & Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and HomeSense).

With extensive career options, TJX Europe is one of the most successful and exciting retailers thanks to our business model of no-frills stores with opportunistic buying. So our savvy shoppers get top fashion & home ware brands for up to 60% less.

As a growing business the new store in Castlebaris due to open soon!

We are looking for Sales Associates ranging from 8 – 20 hour contracts over seven days a week with a passion for service to join our new team.

Basically worthless to the unemployed in town then if those hours are being spread over 7 days, depending on wage and taxes even if you got a 20 hour contract you could still be losing money.

If the social welfare changed went by hours worked, instead of the current days worked, a lot more unemployed people could take up these positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    Basically worthless to the unemployed in town then if those hours are being spread over 7 days, depending on wage and taxes even if you got a 20 hour contract you could still be losing money.

Xenji wrote:
    If the social welfare changed went by hours worked, instead of the current days worked, a lot more unemployed people could take up these positions.

It's par for the course these days unfortunately. Especially in retail. It's a joke the way the system with welfare works in this regard alright. Something to be brought up on the doorsteps in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

It looks like Castlebar will be moving the St. Patricks day parade to the 20th if the Mitchells win their match on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Whats the big announcement for Castlebar that Michelle Mulhern was talking about on mid west radio yesterday?

She said it was being announced shortly and it wasn't in her gift to tell the public?

Is it more jobs cleaning the old Casey building or putting up fences in the IDA park?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Getting a little late for credible announcements

It's par for the course these days unfortunately. Especially in retail. It's a joke the way the system with welfare works in this regard alright. Something to be brought up on the doorsteps in the coming weeks.

Have Social Welfare said why they cannot change? With computerisation such changes are not impossible

nuac wrote: »
    Have Social Welfare said why they cannot change? With computerisation such changes are not impossible

Basically it would mean more work for them and they are already understaffed and have been for years, they have made great use out of Job Bridge, justlike the Council but to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Whats the big announcement for Castlebar that Michelle Mulhern was talking about on mid west radio yesterday?

She said it was being announced shortly and it wasn't in her gift to tell the public?

Is it more jobs cleaning the old Casey building or putting up fences in the IDA park?

the tower crane is up at the swimming pool as well.:D

heard a rumour of Microsoft and the cloud but that it wasnt castlebar mentioned.

The St. Patricks Day Parade in Castlebar will now be on Sunday the 20th, it just has to be ratified tomorrow, quite a bit of local disquiet about it among business owners, Westport should see a nice influx of people unless they are up at Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

The town will be as dead as a dodo on St Patrick`s Day...

How about an early parade, watch the match, all equaling a great atmosphere on the day..

signostic wrote: »
    The town will be as dead as a dodo on St Patrick`s Day...

How about an early parade, watch the match, all equaling a great atmosphere on the day..

The councillors and other hanger ons etc can't be in 2 places at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

People will complain about anything. It's not as if it's being cancelled altogether.
    Can't see how businesses will lose out. Pubs will get 2 big drinking days, does it really matter what day it's on for other shops etc?

I wouldn't have been too happy as a kid if I had to play in some parade and have to miss out on a trip to see my club in an All Ireland. For the other kids with no interest in GAA, I doubt it matters a whole pile what day it's on.

Planning is in The Connaught today for the development at the old Lavelles's bakery / Uppercrust site. looks good

Welcome Inn has shut it's doors in Castlebar. Sad. But it was dying on its feet for a long time. No investment in rooms etc. Hopefully someone will put something good in to that prime piece of real estate

Welcome Inn has shut it's doors in Castlebar. Sad. But it 2as dying on its feet for a long time. No investment in rooms etc. Hopefully someone will put something good in to that prime piece of real estate

that leaves coxs as the only late night venue in castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

When is McCarthy's due to open? I heard it was to be open before the Christmas but never did.
    The welcome inn has being dieing a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Absolute disaster for the town. It was the only place keeping anyone here on a Saturday night, and no offence to Cox's or its owners, but it's just not got a great atmosphere at all (to put it as kindly as I can).

Moran's bus to Westport must be thrilled with the news though, plenty more business for them now. Also, I wonder what will become of the 4 Day Walks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

When is McCarthy's due to open? I heard it was to be open before the Christmas but never did.

naughto wrote: »

It has been delayed, the work has been very stop start on the building due to financial issues supposedly.

i wonder will bosh apply for a late bar

Really sad news for the town. 40 people out of work with very little in the way of replacement jobs.

Still, vote No1 Enda anyway as always!

Keep the recovery going.

Sad news for the McHugh family. This business was built up over two generations. Tough on those working there, and a loss to the area.

The recovery is not too evident in Castlebar.

Nothing dramatic, indeed nothing at all re new jobs and investment

nuac wrote: »
    Sad news for the McHugh family. This business was built up over two generations. Tough on those working there, and a loss to the area.

The recovery is not too evident in Castlebar.

Nothing dramatic, indeed nothing at all re new jobs and investment

It will be very hard for those staff let go to find new jobs in Castlebar, especially those who were in full time positions, TK Maxx bringing nothing but zero hour contract jobs to the town is really just an insult at this stage, with politicians in town lauding it, and nothing better seems to be on the horizon.

It will be very hard for those staff let go to find new jobs in Castlebar, especially those who were in full time positions, TK Maxx bringing nothing but zero hour contract jobs to the town is really just an insult at this stage, with politicians in town lauding it, and nothing better seems to be on the horizon.

It won't matter though, the Enda will be voted back in again after 41 years of not delivering, why should he change a winning strategy at this stage?

Welcome Inn has shut it's doors in Castlebar. Sad. But it was dying on its feet for a long time. No investment in rooms etc. Hopefully someone will put something good in to that prime piece of real estate

This is just my own opinion here but I never thought it was a prime site, well not for the last 25 years anyway. There is very little reason to be that end of the town. People were not going to SuperValu and then popping to the hotel to spend money.

It was also left with no room to expand, hemmed in on every side.

I have no idea what will go there now, maybe they could house refuges there? I sadly don't think it's future is as a hotel.

This is just my own opinion here but I never thought it was a prime site, well not for the last 25 years anyway. There is very little reason to be that end of the town. People were not going to SuperValu and then popping to the hotel to spend money.

It was also left with no room to expand, hemmed in on every side.

I have no idea what will go there now, maybe they could house refuges there? I sadly don't think it's future is as a hotel.

I don't think so either, maybe Penney's or Kavanaghs fancy upgrading the adjoining shopping centre. what ever the future holds for it. it will take millions to make it happen. It may be empty for a while

• Advertisement

After all its troubles the TF still ploughs on.

Advertisement