Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Sad to see the Welcome Inn go, sad for the good full time people there who are losing their jobs. A lot of young people and students found part time jobs there at weekends down the years.
    I hope the building does not become derelict similar the apartments across the street or the former Imperial Hotel on the Mall.

As long as the recovery keeps going eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    After all its troubles the TF still ploughs on.
    is it though does it do shows any more surly that is where the money is.i sapose it will get the general election count at the end out the month

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Sad to see another business close but they really didn't do it up or refurbish it in over 20 years, same with the TF and it will be the same for every other bar in town unless they all come together and try to turn it around. Kids going to a teenage disco from 15 years old, by the time they turn 18 they are bored of Mantra and want somewhere different so they spend their nights out in Westport or go out during the week while away in college.
    The Castlecourt has totally refurbished itself from a club with two floors of different music and a massive yard of a smoking area to a club with one room with chart music, another with a live band, a third with 70's, 80's and 90's music and a smoking area with a bar and a band, it totally caters for people aged 18 to 40+, not only that but the amount of different bars in Westport offer variety to all. What does Castlebar have? No place in Castlebar has refurbished itself in years, Sam Adams did but it had the worst layout for a bar ever, very cramped!

With McCarthy's ive heard they are aiming to have it open for Paddy's day, not sure myself, will be a welcome addition whenever it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sad to see another business close but they really didn't do it up or refurbish it in over 20 years, same with the TF and it will be the same for every other bar in town unless they all come together and try to turn it around. Kids going to a teenage disco from 15 years old, by the time they turn 18 they are bored of Mantra and want somewhere different so they spend their nights out in Westport or go out during the week while away in college.
    The Castlecourt has totally refurbished itself from a club with two floors of different music and a massive yard of a smoking area to a club with one room with chart music, another with a live band, a third with 70's, 80's and 90's music and a smoking area with a bar and a band, it totally caters for people aged 18 to 40+, not only that but the amount of different bars in Westport offer variety to all. What does Castlebar have? No place in Castlebar has refurbished itself in years, Sam Adams did but it had the worst layout for a bar ever, very cramped!

With McCarthy's ive heard they are aiming to have it open for Paddy's day, not sure myself, will be a welcome addition whenever it comes.

bosh was done up a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

bosh was done up a while back.

Well over 10 years ago, I remember because that's where I used to go drinking when I was 18, Bosh still gets a bit of a crowd, not what it did when it first was done up mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:
    is it though does it do shows any more surly that is where the money is.i sapose it will get the general election count at the end out the month

It seems to have rebranded as the 'Mayo convention centre' that's who sent me an email regarding the Vincent Brown show on Monday night

There has been no investment in the The Welcome in a long time. This Closure is no surprise to anyone let alone the owners. I'm sure the last while has been spent restructuring the business to mitigate any losses from this. I am not implying any illegality BTW

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have to laugh at this one, considering they have been here for a couple of years and hire 5 already, though 1 of them is scambridge....

http://www.businesspost.ie/ten-new-jobs-for-bni-in-mayo/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's happening at the old caseys place? I see security fencing erected and a digger in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

What's happening at the old caseys place? I see security fencing erected and a digger in there

Optics before the election.

• Advertisement

The Legendary 'Opensparx'. see post above for real story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any update on when TK Maxx are opening?

seligehgit wrote:
    Any update on when TK Maxx are opening?

There are big signs on the front of the building saying 'Coming Soon' think mid match is aimed for.

Some exciting plans and 3D renderings of the proposed new development on bridge street Castlebar Here (zoom in to main street and click on the related documents at the site) Really hope they can get this moving without delay.

I also checked out McHugh's new restaurant on Shambles street today. Nice grub, friendly staff, good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

There needs to be more development in Castlebar and a general tidy up of Main Street , those old buildings opposite BOI are an eyesore ,

Also I don't like to comment on rumours but I've heard from a few different people (don't mix in the same circles) that Argos may be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

KeshFM93 wrote: »
    There needs to be more development in Castlebar and a general tidy up of Main Street , those old buildings opposite BOI are an eyesore ,

Also I don't like to comment on rumours but I've heard from a few different people (don't mix in the same circles) that Argos may be in trouble.

You would think Argos would be bulletproof and it is dead handy to have around, but it can be a complete ghost town during weekdays, the last 5 or 6 times I have been in there I was the only one or you had another person looking through the catalogue, the staff seemed completely bored as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

Xenji wrote: »
    You would think Argos would be bulletproof and it is dead handy to have around, but it can be a complete ghost town during weekdays, the last 5 or 6 times I have been in there I was the only one or you had another person looking through the catalogue, the staff seemed completely bored as well.

Hopefully I've heard wrong , I've bought a lot off them over the past few years and although I wouldn't be in it that much but the purchases I have made would have been between €60-300,

It would be awful if it closed , I personally thought it was nearly always busy but as you said mid week is a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think its the opposite (of bulletproof). Agros, in general, is fairly outdated and online is a major competitor.
    It has bricks and mortar when it probably doesn't need to. Sales and stock price were down considerably last year. It is increasing its home delivery fleet. Moving away from retail and towards online with a same/next day service is probably the only way I think it'll survive over the next 5-10 years.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it shutting down some of its worst performing shops in the near future. I'm not sure how Castlebar rates on that scale but it certainly wouldn't be one of the busier ones.

PARlance wrote:
    I think its the opposite (of bulletproof). Agros, in general, is fairly outdated and online is a major competitor. It has bricks and mortar when it probably doesn't need to. Sales and stock price were down considerably last year. It is increasing its home delivery fleet. Moving away from retail and towards online with a same/next day service is probably the only way I think it'll survive over the next 5-10 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see it shutting down some of its worst performing shops in the near future. I'm not sure how Castlebar rates on that scale but it certainly wouldn't be one of the busier ones.

You are correct in the points you made. Castlebar would be a good performing store according to management though. Big catchment. Think there are some talks of a sainsbury buyout of the company too.

You are correct in the points you made. Castlebar would be a good performing store according to management though. Big catchment. Think there are some talks of a sainsbury buyout of the company too.

The takeover is as good as done, what they want to do in the UK is to relocate around 200 of Argos outlets to existing Sainsbury's buildings, but with no loss of jobs, obviously what happens in Ireland will be anybody's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They wouldn't be in management if they said it was performing poorly :)
    Very big catchment area in fairness but I've been passing it regulary the last few weeks and there's never anyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

http://ecigarettesworld.ie/
    Opened up a little shop on Castle St, I see one full time position advertised.

corsav6 wrote: »
    http://ecigarettesworld.ie/
    Opened up a little shop on Castle St, I see one full time position advertised.

It is good to see the job advertised, a certain government appointed private company that recently opened in Castlebar and Ballina has been going around to employers in the county trying to persuade them not to publicly offer jobs, but to go through them instead so they can find their Jobpath clients positions using Jobsplus to part pay wages if hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

It is good to see the job advertised, a certain government appointed private company that recently opened in Castlebar and Ballina has been going around to employers in the county trying to persuade them not to publicly offer jobs, but to go through them instead so they can find their Jobpath clients positions using Jobsplus to part pay wages if hired.

That's an absolute disgrace, it cannot be legal, can it?

corsav6 wrote: »
    That's an absolute disgrace, it cannot be legal, can it?

It is not right, but I do not think it is illegal, plus they are government appointed.

New restaurant going in Beside Rocky's Castlebar.
    That unit has been half built and vacant for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

New restaurant going in Beside Rocky's Castlebar.
    That unit has been half built and vacant for a long time

Is that the Old Town Mall unit it's going into?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is that the Old Town Mall unit it's going into?

No. Right next to Rocky's bar. it was a building site for years. still is, but work happening

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

No. Right next to Rocky's bar. it was a building site for years. still is but work happening

Oh I know the one now, was thinking further up Linenhall Street for some reason.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if that is Holland and Barrett that is going in on Hopkins road, Castlebar?

Advertisement