Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 danr19892012

is there any new businesses opening up in claremorris?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 danr19892012

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Saw billboard on the way into Castlebar today - TK Maxx is opening on Thurs 14th April

Can't wait,a welcome development.Love that store,beats travelling to Galway,Sligo or for that matter Blanchardstown or Stephens Green.

The great Aidan O Shea is performing the opening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't wait,a welcome development.Love that store,beats travelling to Galway,Sligo or for that matter Blanchardstown or Stephens Green.

The great Aidan O Shea is performing the opening

A welcome develpopment for consumers, not for employees, the unemployed or the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

For anyone that likes their pizza's, Apache are opening here in the square in Swinford. I think they opened today.

12923355_110935119309601_6098866800239773396_n.jpg?oh=98e4b80ff2e5b5780e96a3185df36a0b&oe=57B3682D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Xenji wrote: »
    A welcome develpopment for consumers, not for employees, the unemployed or the local economy.

Why???

Did Glynns open a new store last week?

Why???

Employees are all on zero hour contracts working a maximum 20 hours a week with no minimum, unemployed persons could not take up jobs becuase of that fact, people will not be making anywhere near a living wage while working for them and in turn will not have extra money to put into the local economy.

Employees are all on zero hour contracts working a maximum 20 hours a week with no minimum, unemployed persons could not take up jobs becuase of that fact, people will not be making anywhere near a living wage while working for them and in turn will not have extra money to put into the local economy.

Thanks.

Zero hours should be banned pronto. Must be the most depressing way to have to work. I won't be going there any time soon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

While I disagree with zero hour contracts, it's still going to have a positive effect. Maybe not what some had imagined and nothing worth shouting about but it's still better than an empty building.

I can't see how they'll operate a store like that without at least 10 or so people working more than 20 hours a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you cant have a manager on zero hour contract surely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

irishgeo wrote: »

The manager may be on a salary but there may be all sorts of targets to meet.

E.g. in some of these chains there is a set time for a specific number of staff to unload a delivery of new stock. The manager also has to ensure that the place is not overstaffed in quieter times and yet has enough staff at busy times.

When these places get planning permission there are announcements of XX new jobs. Rarely any mention of jobs displaced in other places in the town, or that these new jobs will be zero hour contracts.

Little comment in the papers on that. These chains are heavy advertisers, nudge, nudge.

Surprised Labour did not deal with this in last government.

Perhaps it can be raised with whoever comes in?

irishgeo wrote: »

As mentioned above they are probably on a salary, the management position was never publicaly advertised, probably all done internally.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

At the end of the day the government are only interested in the numbers working, if your on a zero contract job, your still signing off for the little hours you get and your still counted as a "Worker" so they can spew it all out when it comes to elections etc.

Zero contracts are shocking, shouldn't be allowed. How can you have job satisfaction or a career path with that in your drawer.

Agree re advertising and papers, thats money into them that they have lost since the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I heard it was mobbed in there today. A few shoppers around at least

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I heard it was mobbed in there today. A few shoppers around at least

It was mental at 7. I was in Aldi and couldnt get parking in the main carparks, went underground instead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Heard people left baskets of stuff behind while queuing, that's how long they were waiting to be served. Avoid for a week at least I'd say, it's not like they'll run out of clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Heard people left baskets of stuff behind while queuing, that's how long they were waiting to be served. Avoid for a week at least I'd say, it's not like they'll run out of clothes!

not if you believe the advertising of a new delivery of different clothes every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

martyos121 wrote: »

Was in there at lunchtime today. Busy but no real queues at the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

New ecig shop is opening where ufo was on Main Street in Castlebar. Directly across from Kix who also sell ecigs. I can't really see the need for two ecig shops in such close proximity, should be interesting to see how long both last.

• Advertisement

corsav6 wrote: »
    New ecig shop is opening where ufo was on Main Street in Castlebar. Directly across from Kix who also sell ecigs. I can't really see the need for two ecig shops in such close proximity, should be interesting to see how long both last.

Really? Wonder is it a chain. Kix have a bit of buying power behind them. there is another one one market sq. no interest to me though. hoped for something better on main st.

corsav6 wrote: »

Dangerous game E-Cigarettes, just one EU directive and they will come crumbling down like a house of cards, they are going to end up like the legal high shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The new Centra has opened at the old Tim Hastings property in Westport. It's bright and modern and focused on the food counter. Nice off licence too. Fair play, lovely shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lads, I don't know if it's just me but reading about these "Business developments" in Mayo is severely depressing.

Dangerous game E-Cigarettes, just one EU directive and they will come crumbling down like a house of cards, they are going to end up like the legal high shops.

The Hoban family are a long time in business in Westport - on James Street for 50 years or more, and more recently at the Quay.

Wishing them all the best

Lads, I don't know if it's just me but reading about these "Business developments" in Mayo is severely depressing.

Some add to the attractions of a town, some don't.

Some bring in new business, some displace existing firms

For any town there must be change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

nuac wrote: »
    Some add to the attractions of a town, some don't.

Some bring in new business, some displace existing firms

For any town there must be change

No doubt.

All the talk or announcements/talk on here since this thread has started have been poor, low paying unskilled jobs.

I guess the calibre of employees we have in Mayo doesn't attract anything else.

That would be unfair as well as inaccurate in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

That would be unfair as well as inaccurate in my opinion

I completely agree, plenty of skilled workers in Mayo, or from Mayo living in Dublin.

I see Mulroys near the roundabout have practically finished their renovations, they seem to have freed up a decent amount of space inside.

• Advertisement

No doubt.

All the talk or announcements/talk on here since this thread has started have been poor, low paying unskilled jobs.

There are many highly skilled people working in Mayo

e.g. Allergan, Baxter, McHales, Coca Cola etc

Retail trade all over the country seems to b e moving to zero hour contracts.
    Deplorable

Advertisement