Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

nuac wrote: »
    Congrats to Castlebar CU on this extension, and to the CU movement generally. Great strides over the last 50+ years.

Westport CU have bought the old Bank of Ireland premises on the Soth Mall and are presently renovating it.

The CU offices around the county are staffed by real people rather than machines. Great idea. May catch on

I was just there at lunchtime picking up a parcel at parcel motel. Great work going on at the credit union extension. (on a side not, traffic was mental in Castlebar today. every car park full!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote:
    I wonder is it a spin off of Gift Supreme with cheaper items, nothing seemed to look that expensive from walking past.

The shop is a being opened by the
    ubiquitous Staunton family. A resurrection of their old gift shop. They hope to be there for the long term. So not a pop up.

statto25 wrote:
    Anyone hear whats going in beside Paul Byron's on Market Square? Shop fitters outside this morning measuring up.

Hastings insurance. Moving from chapel street

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

The shop is a being opened by the
    ubiquitous Staunton family. A resurrection of their old gift shop. They hope to be there for the long term. So not a pop up.

Fair play to them, Castlebar without Stauntons businesses would be like Cong without Ashford Castle:D

Connaught is reporting that TK Maxx is indeed moving in to the old Homebase unit. Don't know much about them but good to see some activity there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Connaught is reporting that TK Maxx is indeed moving in to the old Homebase unit. Don't know much about them but good to see some activity there.
    Taking a lot longer than I originally heard. I was under the impression back in July they wanted to be in before Christmas. Still looks like they are months away from opening but at least its moving forward.
    Dudda wrote: »
    TK Maxx are going into the old Homebase beside Next. I think they are only taking a little over half the unit. I think they want to be in and open before Christmas.
    Do people think they will have many jobs? I expect they could hurt smaller places like the nearby Padraic McHales and other local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Taking a lot longer than I originally heard. I was under the impression back in July they wanted to be in before Christmas. Still looks like they are months away from opening but at least its moving forward.

Do people think they will have many jobs? I expect they could hurt smaller places like the nearby Padraic McHales and other local shops.

It depends on what sort of contacts they offer, hopefully they do not use zero hour contracts as that rules out the majority of unemployed people and couple them with a handful of permanent positions, Next seems to love that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Xenji wrote: »
    It depends on what sort of contacts they offer, hopefully they do not use zero hour contracts as that rules out the majority of unemployed people and couple them with a handful of permanent positions, Next seems to love that model.
    Why is that?

Canadel wrote: »
    Why is that?

Say a person is offered 12 hours a week, but it is 4 days of 3 hour shifts, if the person is on the X's and O's he will not any get social welfare supplements for the week, as it goes by days worked and not hours.

So for it to be feasible for a unemployed person to take up employment he needs to be earning equal to or more E188 a week or working no more than 3 days.

With zero hour contracts you are really taking a risk, especially if you are on social welfare, you could work 5 days for 2 hours at a time and only make half the money in the week as you would get if you did not work, you can also go a couple of weeks without work as well if you are not needed.

Of course that is not to say that is how TK Maxx operate, but it is a common practice.

I have good info that there is a significant employer going to announce in the short term for Castlebar. The company is in the air conditioning business. I know that the have already purchased premises and where. 100-150 Jobs was mentioned.

BTW I heard this from a business person involved and not a politician, so that gives me some hope. We'll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have good info that there is a significant employer going to announce in the short term for Castlebar. The company is in the air conditioning business. I know that the have already purchased premises and where. 100-150 Jobs was mentioned.

BTW I heard this from a business person involved and not a politician, so that gives me some hope. We'll see

By any chance would that firm be moving into part of the former Casey buiilding on the Breaffy Rd? There are Electrical Contractors currently re-cabling and re-wiring that place. Or is that for OpenSparks?

By any chance would that firm be moving into part of the former Casey buiilding on the Breaffy Rd? There are Electrical Contractors currently re-cabling and re-wiring that place. Or is that for OpenSparks?

Nope. Different building in the same general area of town. Glad to hear something is going on there too. Maybe Opensparx will surprise us all?

OpenSparkz will not be going ahead till ongoing legal issues are resolved, if it ever does, it is meant to be going into the old Volex building.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good news that, hope them jobs materialize. Enda has to deliver something now with the election coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

what kind of roles will be on offer?

irishgeo wrote: »
    what kind of roles will be on offer?

Don't have that detail yet. I imagine it will be a mix of manufacture, electrical engineer, back office etc

Noticed today that HMV/Xtravision is fully closed now, all the stock stripped off of the shelves, UFO on main street and the outdoor store further up are closing down as well.

No further word on Holland and Barrett or TK Maxx, a friend of mine works in a phone shop in town and they received over 120 applications for one part time position before they closed applications due to the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

...No further word on Holland and Barrett or TK Maxx...
    TK Maxx is finally happening......kinda. http://www.mayonews.ie/news/27065-tk-maxx-set-to-open-in-castlebar

They applied for planning permission for signage but Mayo County Council aren't happy with the signage they proposed and want it made smaller and have different lights. I'd post photos of it here but they were removed when I did something similar before. You can look yourself on the Mayo County Council website. The planning reference number is 15756 and you can see what it looks like along with the internal shoping layout, changing rooms, cash area, etc. They can't do anything until they get planning permission.

This report is inaccurate. They didn't get planning permission.
    http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/01/08/4112321-tk-maxx-push-on-with-plans-to-open-in-mayo/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Fcukin Gombeens,do they not want new business in town! I would imagine that companies such as TKMax would have uniformity in their signange where ever they set up similar to other world wide companies.Look in the MIRROR MAYO COCO AND HAVE A CHAT WITH THE IDIOT LOOKING BACK AT YOU!!!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ah here, calm down. Permission hasn't been refused; they've simply asked them to make the sign facing across the road towards Tesco smaller, and omit the sign on the back of the building. It's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Noticed today that HMV/Xtravision is fully closed now, all the stock stripped off of the shelves, UFO on main street and the outdoor store further up are closing down as well.

No further word on Holland and Barrett or TK Maxx, a friend of mine works in a phone shop in town and they received over 120 applications for one part time position before they closed applications due to the response.

You sure it's closing? thought it was just a clearance sale.

Cathal Duffy's have begun expanding their shop into the old car showroom. Showroom now at the lower level.

The Connaught is also reporting that the sale has finally gone through on the building on the old Kingsbridge site. The ETB are now free to move in. It will be good to see it occupied at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ah here, calm down. Permission hasn't been refused; they've simply asked them to make the sign facing across the road towards Tesco smaller, and omit the sign on the back of the building. It's not the end of the world.

is the back of that building not the side facing tesco?

irishgeo wrote:
    is the back of that building not the side facing tesco?

The back of the building faces the river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Cathal Duffy's have begun expanding their shop into the old car showroom. Showroom now at the lower level.

I filled up there today and noticed the building work going on.
    I see the parts store downstairs now have a modern looking Opel sign so I assume their still an official parts store.
    I suppose there's no plans become a main dealer again if their expanding the shop. All I see down on the lower level is second hand cars.

It is completely empty and doors closed since Monday, nothing left in there but the shelving and a sign up on the door explaining the closure.

The one in Galway also closed up shop this week.

It is completely empty and doors closed since Monday, nothing left in there but the shelving and a sign up on the door explaining the closure.

The one in Galway also closed up shop this week.

Fair enough, thats a pity. still tough going out there

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

a friend of mine works in a phone shop in town and they received over 120 applications for one part time position before they closed applications due to the response.

That is brutal...120 applications for a part-time job in a phone shop.

I thought things were going great on the job front in Mayo and in the West going by reading the Mid West News. Must be someone clumping some job seekers in to the economically inactive numbers.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/30920-more-than-3000-new-jobs-created-in-the-west-under-the-term-of-this-government-according-to-the-taoiseach

Paul4As wrote: »
    That is brutal...120 applications for a part-time job in a phone shop.

I thought things were going great on the job front in Mayo and in the West going by reading the Mid West News. Must be someone clumping some job seekers in to the economically inactive numbers.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/30920-more-than-3000-new-jobs-created-in-the-west-under-the-term-of-this-government-according-to-the-taoiseach

More than likely all Job Activation schemes, there are over 90000 people on them in the the country and they are classified as being off the live register, a lovely way for the government to skew the real unemployment figure.

Castlebar has been devoid of jobs for years now and has had large scale emigration, while any big announcement has not been followed through, OpenSparkz, Cloudstrong, Northgate, the Center of Excellence at the Barracks, ect....

Even if you look at job sites, they can go up to 2-3 weeks without a new job being advertised, also the IDA had 3 official visits last year, among the lowest in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The TK Maxx stores that opened in Tralee and Killarney employ about 40 to 50 staff each so I expect similar in Castlebar as all stores are fairly similar in size across the country apart from maybe their massive one in Blanchardstown. I doubt they'd all be full time positions though.

Advertisement