Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

So if it's not the work force, why do we seem to not attract any jobs beyond retail?

So if it's not the work force, why do we seem to not attract any jobs beyond retail?

We have no political influence, Kenny is a disaster for bringing jobs to Mayo and he makes zero effort. The IDA did 1300 visits in the past three years, only 5 of them were in Mayo. Waterford with less than half the population of Mayo had 31 visits alone last year.

If the IDA are not instructed to bring jobs to the county then jobs will not come to the county. Yet idiots gave Kenny over 10K first preferences when he failed to do anything for the county for the past 5 years or even attempt to balance the situation. Why would he even try for the next 5.

We have no political influence, Kenny is a disaster for bringing jobs to Mayo and he makes zero effort. The IDA did 1300 visits in the past three years, only 5 of them were in Mayo. Waterford with less than half the population of Mayo had 31 visits alone last year.

If the IDA are not instructed to bring jobs to the county then jobs will not come to the county. Yet idiots gave Kenny over 10K first preferences when he failed to do anything for the county for the past 5 years or even attempt to balance the situation. Why would he even try for the next 5.
    It is not in the IDA's power to direct where jobs go.

Potential investors are brought to similar companies to hear their experiences, to suppliers, to see facilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It is not in the IDA's power to direct where jobs go.

Potential investors are brought to similar companies to hear their experiences, to suppliers, to see facilities etc.

But do direct what funding a company gets.

irishgeo wrote: »
    But do direct what funding a company gets.
    My point still stands - trying to direct foreign investment with funding isn't going to work.

We had an IDA visit in my workplace recently.
    All the IDA supports are available across the country - the visitors were most interested in staff. Skills, recruitment and retention.

Having a free shiny office and low wages in Castlebar would not interest them much if they couldn't recruit the employees they want.

• Advertisement

My point still stands - trying to direct foreign investment with funding isn't going to work.

We had an IDA visit in my workplace recently.
    All the IDA supports are available across the country - the visitors were most interested in staff. Skills, recruitment and retention.

Having a free shiny office and low wages in Castlebar would not interest them much if they couldn't recruit the employees they want.

You don't get the employees you want with low wages. That's what the Mayo based Irish companies do and why they struggle to hold on to staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Conditional Permission given for the large retail/restaurant development at bridge street Castlebar. Planning is nearly always conditional.

The proposals for the development of the Military barracks in Castlebar are on public display this week. With a presentation on Friday afternoon. On display in the barracks buildings. The ones currently being refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The proposals for the development of the Military barracks in Castlebar are on public display this week. With a presentation on Friday afternoon. On display in the barracks buildings. The ones currently being refurbished.

Any idea what might be going into it or used what it would be used for, first we had talk of refugees being housed there, then a centre of excellence and then refugees again.

Xenji wrote: »
    Any idea what might be going into it or used what it would be used for, first we had talk of refugees being housed there, then a centre of excellence and then refugees again.

I presume the arts and music/market venue. havent had a look yet myself

• Advertisement

Some very interesting and exciting architect submissions for the military barracks today. Anyone got a spare 20-30 million hanging around?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Some very interesting and exciting architect submissions for the military barracks today. Anyone got a spare 20-30 million hanging around?

It would be good to see this go ahead.
    I haven't seen the submissions yet but would a rejuvenation of Main St. not be money better spent. Something to keep people in the centre, plenty of space where homemaker and brownville used be.

Thou wrote: »
    It would be good to see this go ahead.
    I haven't seen the submissions yet but would a rejuvenation of Main St. not be money better spent. Something to keep people in the centre, plenty of space where homemaker and brownville used be.

What happened that majestic plan for the arcade to be knocked and a new Street being built there.

What happened that majestic plan for the arcade to be knocked and a new Street being built there.

The arse fell out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Castlebardude

Conditional Permission given for the large retail/restaurant development at bridge street Castlebar. Planning is nearly always conditional.

This development will be one of the most exciting things to happen in Castlebar in years and help bring Castlebar back to its much missed place as one of Mayo's best social destinations by 2 young entrepreneurs, yet there is always some complete Sh**ebag that is intent on blocking progress. In this case (and by the way, all this information is available to view on the Mayo County Council website where I read it), ****Not having a rant on here like that***

While I'm ranting, I see Mayo County Council have hit the lads with a bill for €30,966 for car parking ! What's that about lads ? The development is right beside a public car park which we the public pay to use. They are not opened for business yet & they are been charged for parking ? Not very conducive to encouraging entrepreneurship in a town that badly needs it ! Do ye ever look at the bigger picture & maybe roll out the welcome mat for such projects, maybe give potential developers a tax break, a reduction or postponement on rates or how about a grant to help them get their dreams off the ground. Ye will make it back over the years ! Now, I'm off to object to a giant Boeing 767 parked up in a field in Enniscrone, I don't care if some entrepreneur is going to increase tourism into his community 10,000-fold, planes belong in airports ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭statto25

I thought the council had bought that little book shop nd were planning on knocking it to build a laneway for a street market?
    Yer wan is having a laugh with that objection.

statto25 wrote: »
    I thought the council had bought that little book shop nd were planning on knocking it to build a laneway for a street market?
    Yer wan is having a laugh with that objection.

I couldn't see the objection.

I thought the laneway was to link up the Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭statto25

I couldn't see the objection.

I thought the laneway was to link up the Greenway.

I must have a look myself when I get home.
    You are correct, the plan was to also use that part of the town to link the greenway and it would have ran at the back of new restaurant. I also heard there was a plan to have a traders market there for local vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

While I'm ranting, I see Mayo County Council have hit the lads with a bill for €30,966 for car parking ! What's that about lads ? The development is right beside a public car park which we the public pay to use. They are not opened for business yet & they are been charged for parking ? Not very conducive to encouraging entrepreneurship in a town that badly needs it ! Do ye ever look at the bigger picture & maybe roll out the welcome mat for such projects, maybe give potential developers a tax break, a reduction or postponement on rates or how about a grant to help them get their dreams off the ground. Ye will make it back over the years ! Now, I'm off to object to a giant Boeing 767 parked up in a field in Enniscrone, I don't care if some entrepreneur is going to increase tourism into his community 10,000-fold, planes belong in airports ! :)

Where is all this information posted? Any links?

• Advertisement

Mayo Co Co planning website.

Here it is.
    29/02/2016

Decision Made;
    Conditional

CHANGEVALE LTD.

BRIDGE STREET
    CASTLEBAR

REFURBISHMENT OF EXISTING STONE BUILDING INTO A PROPOSED NEW RESTAURANT, COMPRISING OF THE DEMOLITION OF EXISTING ANCILLARY ACCOMMODATION AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF NEW 209SQM EXTENSION OVER TWO FLOORS TO THE EAST AND A 63SQM SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO THE NORTH, MINOR ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING FACADE AND ROOF, DEMOLITION OF EXISTING BOUNDARY WALL AND FENCE, PROPOSED NEW RIVER EDGE TREATMENT AND NEW PEDESTRIAN ACCESS, LANDSCAPING, ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING FOOTPATHS AND BOUNDARY TREATMENTS, AND ALL ASSOCIATED SITE WORKS. PROPOSED NEW SIGNAGE, DRAINAGE, LIGHTING AND SERVICE CONNECTIONS

If i am reading it right the parking levy is actually €70,000+
    30 0n one section and 40 on the other. it does seem very short sighted and excessive. but maybe this was expected?

Go to the Mayo County Council Planning section & search for the submission by "Risk Free Fashion". When you find it & click into it, click on "view related documents". In there you will see the objection by a (surely I can mention Mod) Kildare-based person who feels their dilapidated long term vacant property will somehow be devalued by the development.

You will also see a document from Mayo County Council holding out the lámh, looking for their chunk of cash from the developers before a sod is even close to being turned. If its actually €70K & not €30K for car parking alone, I think I would tell them shove it & bring my investment to a town that would welcome it !

Go to the Mayo County Council Planning section & search for the submission by "Risk Free Fashion". When you find it & click into it, click on "view related documents". In there you will see the objection by a (surely I can mention Mod) Kildare-based person who feels their dilapidated long term vacant property will somehow be devalued by the development.

You will also see a document from Mayo County Council holding out the lámh, looking for their chunk of cash from the developers before a sod is even close to being turned. If its actually €70K & not €30K for car parking alone, I think I would tell them shove it & bring my investment to a town that would welcome it !

Considering the council need this development to join up the Greenway it's very short sighted indeed.

I saw today that the "West's Best Music Shop" is coming soon on Linenhall Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's fairly standard and to be honest not that bad compared with others.

The development is split in two with two separate parts and two planning applications. You can't look at them together as they weren't lodged together and are separate from a business point and legally owned by two different people. They cannot be grouped together to create 70k.

If you look at the Credit Union extension which only opened last week and phase two of the refurbishment of the existing building is now starting it was 60k for parking and that was just an extension to an existing building. These new builds are larger. If you have the land and provide parking then you don't pay these development charges. This happens everywhere and does encourage sustainable development and transport. For example if you are building something and include bicycle parking and showers for staff/visitors then you reduce your parking requirement (on paper at least) and don't get these huge parking development charges. The Credit Union could easily have included a staff shower and a few bike parking spaces and saved a lot of money. Even if all staff still drove and ignore the facilities it is an attempt.
    Risk Free Fashion and ChangeVale Ltd could easily have installed a few bike spaces in the landscaped area. On a greenway route which people cycle you'd think they would have included these anyway to encourage them to stop and rest and spend money.

I've worked on much larger developments which have used this tactic and didn't get any parking development charge as a result.

Dudda wrote: »
    It's fairly standard and to be honest not that bad compared with others.

The development is split in two with two separate parts and two planning applications. You can't look at them together as they weren't lodged together and are separate from a business point and legally owned by two different people. They cannot be grouped together to create 70k.

If you look at the Credit Union extension which only opened last week and phase two of the refurbishment of the existing building is now starting it was 60k for parking and that was just an extension to an existing building. These new builds are larger. If you have the land and provide parking then you don't pay these development charges. This happens everywhere and does encourage sustainable development and transport. For example if you are building something and include bicycle parking and showers for staff/visitors then you reduce your parking requirement (on paper at least) and don't get these huge parking development charges. The Credit Union could easily have included a staff shower and a few bike parking spaces and saved a lot of money. Even if all staff still drove and ignore the facilities it is an attempt.
    Risk Free Fashion and ChangeVale Ltd could easily have installed a few bike spaces in the landscaped area. On a greenway route which people cycle you'd think they would have included these anyway to encourage them to stop and rest and spend money.

I've worked on much larger developments which have used this tactic and didn't get any parking development charge as a result.

Thanks for that explanation Dudda, still though, whether it's a Credit Union, a shop or a restaurant, those car parking charges seem exorbitant (especially when these developments are located right beside a public carpark ) and I'm sure those developers are going be hit with huge connection bills from Irish Water, Electricity Ireland, IMRO, PPI, Property Tax, Council Rates and many others. We need these type of developments to "keep the recovery going", I don't think that these development charges encourage investment.
    How does it fare compared to other countries ?

Xenji wrote: »
    I saw today that the "West's Best Music Shop" is coming soon on Linenhall Street.

seen that. it's a big claim! any idea who is behind it?

• Advertisement

seen that. it's a big claim! any idea who is behind it?

I have not heard anything, in fairness it is a dead market unless they fill it with what the likes of Downtown Records have or has been an independent record store for years, it would be great if it was more like something from High Fidelity :D

Advertisement