Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Oh no scarepanda :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Oh no scarepanda

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am over everything. One of the most important things that there's a problem with is the agreed layout of the ceremony room.... All because they don't want to put chairs on a wooden floor..... Like seriously, how much would pads for the bottom of the legs cost? I'd fecking provide them myself. Their suggestion just doesn't work. It would mean that the symmetry of the room would be all off (there's a feature detail that throws everything off), you might get away with it with the photographer, but not the video and also in order to avoid the wooden section the whole set up is shoved up into one end of the room and our guests would potentially be on top of each other and the alter aswell. There wouldn't be room to swing a cat. I'm an engineer by trade so it will bug the sh1te out of me if the room doesn't look right from that pov. It may seem silly to most people, but we decided to go with this hotel because of the ceremony room and the discussed layout with two other members of staff.

And the other details where they put a half arsed effort in was on a few extra treats at the drinks reception. Just little things that we love and helps make the wedding ours. I don't know how far to push it. I don't want to be a pain or a brideszilla, but it's what was agreed with the wedding coordinator who sold the hotel to us.

I'm so annoyed. My gut told me that something like this would happen with the hand over from the coordinator to the manager. When we sat down for the meeting the manager had things like the cost pp and the number of rooms reserved wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Do you have any written agreement or acknowledgement from the previous contact person to fall back on?

It's not your fault the agreed price was quoted as wrong, especially if you signed a contract to that effect.

Sucks eggs though.

Do you have any written agreement or acknowledgement from the previous contact person to fall back on?
    It's not your fault the agreed price was quoted as wrong, especially if you signed a contract to that effect.

I have with the price and the room numbers. Both of which he agreed to without any issues. I suppose it was just a mistake on his part as we are getting part of package A for the price of the package B, which is slightly cheaper than package A if that makes sense. But he obviously didn't look at the notes taken by either the previous manager or coordinator at any stage when he was taking over. It's a bit messy in a way as the coordinator we were dealing with has left and I get the impression it wasn't on good terms. But again that's not our problem. I tried to set up a meeting with both the new coordinator and this new manager (he's not new to the hotel, just new to us) we are dealing with back in late June/early July. The new coordinator passed the book to this fella and he wouldn't meet us till last Friday.

I must double check again about the details on the drinks reception. I'm pretty sure the details of one thing was listed and the chef was to come back to us with flavours. I know I discussed the basics in detail with the coordinator and she took notes. The other, well it is what it is, I didn't think I'd have to go into details of what we expected as its name says it all - this is the one that I'd say we will drop to compromise and for an easy life.

As for the room set up, only one option was ever suggested or discussed with us as it's the natural set up which allows everything to work, So I don't think I have those specifics detailed. It never occurred to me that there would suddenly be this huge issue over stupid ****ing chairs scuffing a floor when there's a very easy solution.

I was so happy with everything with the hotel till Friday night. Now I'm so apprehensive about everything. Iv enough ****e to be dealing with with my family, I really wish I felt comfortable putting my faith in the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just finished watching our wedding video and it's AMAZING!!! For anyone undecided it's so worth it!
    We're actually featured on weddingsonline at the minute if anyone wants a sneaky peek of the shorter video...it's in the wedding cinema section of their blog and it's the Moyvalley wedding :) I have to say it was one of my little goals to be featured as a 'real wedding' on it...how sad am I!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

jellybear wrote: »
    Just finished watching our wedding video and it's AMAZING!!! For anyone undecided it's so worth it!
    We're actually featured on weddingsonline at the minute if anyone wants a sneaky peek of the shorter video...it's in the wedding cinema section of their blog and it's the Moyvalley wedding :) I have to say it was one of my little goals to be featured as a 'real wedding' on it...how sad am I!! :D

That's lovely jellybear :)
    I have to admit to being jealous, I am really not happy with our wedding video compared to others I have seen ... I suppose when it comes to these things you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

Saying that though, I like having the memory and seeing bits of the day that I hadn't seen myself like my son walking up the aisle and husband and his sons the morning of the wedding so I wont complain too much.

Aw, I just watched it there, you both looked stunning and it looked like ye had so much fun! I'm so glad we found the extra cash for the video, it's definitely one thing that I would have regretted. How do you get featured?

Iv just put together one of my bridesmaids bouquets! So happy with it and it's not even finished. The only concern I have is that it might be a little on the big side, but I think we'll get away with it. I just need to add a few pearls and then finish the base and 'stem'. I'll add a few photos when I have that done and also some of the table centre flowers.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Aw, I just watched it there, you both looked stunning and it looked like ye had so much fun! I'm so glad we found the extra cash for the video, it's definitely one thing that I would have regretted. How do you get featured?

Awh thanks :) Our videographer sent it in because they were asked for a submission so that was a lovely surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

If it actually comes in then it should be fine, just make sure she has a good dress maker lined up to make the alterations that might be needed.

Hi all, quick update on this! We're almost 3 weeks on and still no dress! Shop gave their word it would be in last Friday, missus spent Monday and Tuesday chasing and got a phone call today to say it not in and she's hoping for next Wednesday, another week! That will be 2.5 weeks before the wedding!! It's beyond a joke at this stage, herself is frantic and has no confidence that it'll actually arrive!! Anyone been this close getting there dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

On honeymoon now!

The wedding did not go to plan at all but in the end it was still the best night of my life!

Our outdoor ceremony had to be scraped, the weather forcast of light showers turned into heavy rain all day! We had to decorate two extra rooms (ceremony and reception!) Lucky I had bought tonnes of decorations.
    The poor groom was busy working right up until midday the morning of :(

I cried as I walked down the aisle, classic me! I've been told that a fair few people did, mostly male too! My sisters sang for the reception and it was perfect, my five year old niece even played maracas :) everyone joined in, it was very special.

The florist and photographer were amazing, I couldn't rate them highly enough. Everyone was complimenting them both (most of the floral centerpieces were brought home by guests!)

We had 6 speeches in total, including a surprise song from a bridesmaid which was hilarious. They were all pretty short including mine and the crowd were fed and eating dessert so I think they didn't mind at all :p

Half our pictures are night time shots as the weather calmed a little, not what we had ever considered but they look so cool :)

The band were amazing and the dance floor was packed for a small wedding (90people). People who didn't know each other just started dancing together, it was great to see, I was terrified no one would dance but I had nothing to be worried about, I've literally never seem such mental dancing at a wedding.

On honeymoon now, missed out two planned day trips due to weather, which is unfortunate butI needed a lie in anyway, so making the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Aww congrats Gingerlily! That sucks about the weather but so glad ye had a great day despite it! Enjoy the relaxation and the honeymoon!

Skuxx wrote:
    Hi all, quick update on this! We're almost 3 weeks on and still no dress! Shop gave their word it would be in last Friday, missus spent Monday and Tuesday chasing and got a phone call today to say it not in and she's hoping for next Wednesday, another week! That will be 2.5 weeks before the wedding!! It's beyond a joke at this stage, herself is frantic and has no confidence that it'll actually arrive!! Anyone been this close getting there dress?

Thats crazy! The amount of stories like this I've heard about weddings is crazy! Do they not realise how BIG A DEAL this is! My friend was waiting the guts of 9/10 months for her dress, they ordered the wrong one, and had the right one in 2 weeks (which in itself makes you wonder at the long wait anyways!) I'd be hounding the shop! Has she alterations booked? Or will there be much required?

Just tied down my alterations date, sent questionnaires back to the band and photographer, mailed my dress shop about picking up my dress, ordered artificial flowers for my diy decor.. now to find jewellery and shoes to wear... Can't believe how quick its all coming now! I don't want it to go too quick! I'm loving the planning! :-)

I have my first dress fitting tomorrow. I'm so bloody nervous about it

I have my first dress fitting tomorrow. I'm so nervous bloody nervous about it

Awh I hope it goes really well for you! Just remember it's only the first fitting so if it's not fitting or looking exactly how you want it to it's not a big deal- that's what fittings are for :) Enjoy every minute of it. It's a very exciting time :)

Woohoo!!! I didnt hate the dress! I was really afraid that I would have buyers regret because I bought it from the only shop I tried on any dress, on the first day I did any sort of dress shopping - including window shopping. It also didn't help that it was as far from what i thought I would end up getting as you can imagine! the cost of the alterations also wasn't all that bad considering the amount of fiddly work that it needs. So lets hope the dressmaker doesn't butcher the dress on me now!!!

Iv also attached (or tired to attach) a photograph of one of my bridesmaids bouquets and the one for my daughter (if she will carry it!!!)

I picked up a couple of bits for my hair trial yesterday in town. I really like one of them! And we are going to start writing out the invitations this weekend ready for posting towards the end of next week. So its all go here at the moment

And i forgot to add photos of the table centre flowers! we are doing a bottle/jar type arrangement and these will be sitting in slightly unusual wine bottles that we have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hope everyone is doing well. Less than 3 weeks for me now. Bought my bridesmaid gifts... Didn't even know that was a thing until recently. I've ordered them online just got alex and ani bracelet's. That should be ok right?
    Any idea what to get groomsmen?
    Annoyed at my florist and how her charges just keep creeping up. Just getting baby's breath bouquets at like 55 a pop. I asked how much would a few roses be to break them up. 8 quid a rose. Asked if she could suggest any other options that might be more value to me. Of course no reply. If I hadn't already paid for my package I would cancel

Hope everyone is doing well. Less than 3 weeks for me now. Bought my bridesmaid gifts... Didn't even know that was a thing until recently. I've ordered them online just got alex and ani bracelet's. That should be ok right? Any idea what to get groomsmen? Annoyed at my florist and how her charges just keep creeping up. Just getting baby's breath bouquets at like 55 a pop. I asked how much would a few roses be to break them up. 8 quid a rose. Asked if she could suggest any other options that might be more value to me. Of course no reply. If I hadn't already paid for my package I would cancel

That's shocking about the florist. It'd want to be a fairly special rose to warrant that price!

The Alex and ani stuff should be lovely. I love them! I'm going to get my girls a chain/earring set if I can find them at the right price. Not sure about the groomsmen yet. I'll leave that to himself....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

That seems quite excessive Irishgirl but you probably don't want to rock the boat at this stage? Very disappointing.

I got my bridesmaid some Pandora charms for her bracelet which went down very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

That seems quite excessive Irishgirl but you probably don't want to rock the boat at this stage? Very disappointing.

I got my bridesmaid some Pandora charms for her bracelet which went down very well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Yeah 8 euro per rose is ridiculous. If I walked in and bought a few roses that weren't for a wedding I'm sure I wouldn't be charged that.
    Alex and ani are doing a bridesmaids bracelet so I went with those ones. Got my mam a 'mother of the bride' one. She wears alex and ani usually so I know she'll like it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

€8 is around retail price for a proper rose is it not? Might be slightly high but it doesn't sound excessive, I know having been sent to florists to pick up bunches of roses that proper ones are not cheap!

€8 is around retail price for a proper rose is it not? Might be slightly high but it doesn't sound excessive, I know having been sent to florists to pick up bunches of roses that proper ones are not cheap!

The most expensive retail price I came across when I was considering what do to for table centres was €6 and it was a huge flower head. I wouldn't think that huge size would have looked great in a baby's breath bouquet to break it up. I would have thought you would need a smaller, more traditional sized bud. You can get a bunch in Aldi for €4!

You can get a bunch in Aldi for €4!

Which will probably die within a couple of hours of being put into the bouquet. Florists don't necessarily make a lot of money on their flowers because they have to buy high quality. Imagine if your bouquet looked like ****e in your photos after the ceremony because you got your flowers in Aldi? I know I wouldn't like to risk it.

Which will probably die within a couple of hours of being put into the bouquet. Florists don't necessarily make a lot of money on their flowers because they have to buy high quality. Imagine if your bouquet looked like ****e in your photos after the ceremony because you got your flowers in Aldi? I know I wouldn't like to risk it.

I've had flowers last longer from Aldi and Lidl than from florists.. I'd have no problem using Aldi flowers :-)

Everyone said that my flowers gorgeous and they were 70e bridal bouquet and 60e bridal bouquets which I thought was fair. I had about 20% greenery in it to keep costs lower (eucalyptus, it smelled divine!). Maybe look for other flowers that would have a similar affect?

I just showed my flourist bouquets I liked (on pinterest) and she made up something similar with available flowers (she grew most of them herself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Have been off the grid for a bit!

The wedding went great on the 24th! The day absolutely flew by.... Hotel, dj, photographers, florist, everything was great.

Unfortunately on the honeymoon we were hit by hurricane Irma.... The hotel got evacuated for a night, then there was a bit of stress over our flights but all worked out in the end....

aj89 wrote: »
    Unfortunately on the honeymoon we were hit by hurricane Irma.... The hotel got evacuated for a night, then there was a bit of stress over our flights but all worked out in the end....

Wow, glad you're ok! Quite the story to tell though, eh?

aj89 wrote: »
    Have been off the grid for a bit!

The wedding went great on the 24th! The day absolutely flew by.... Hotel, dj, photographers, florist, everything was great.

My honeymoon is working out quite similar, yesterday's ferry was cancelled and got stuck on an island, on out way back to the mainland now on a boat listening to people vomit, it's very romantic!

• Advertisement

How has everybody found dealing with their hotel? Have they been easy to deal with?

Right now I'm partly regretting going with ours. They are hard flippin work. I have to chase them about absolutely everything, no one has answers and I'm being constantly passed from manager to manager. They have got import, previously agreed details wrong and as Iv mentioned before the meeting after the food tasting was a disaster. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but now it's just becoming plain annoying.

Advertisement