Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xXlollsXx

GingerLily wrote: »
    I would ring the hotel to clarify, it would be awful if they were short a main because they were given the wrong numbers deliberately.

Most places will have plenty spare based on the numbers given to them anyway and will just apply any additional costs to the final bill after the wedding day.
    Exactly of course they would. They have to in case 70% go for the fish and only 30% go for the meat, they have to have enough of each choice in order to cater for ppls tastes on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

xXlollsXx wrote: »
    Exactly of course they would. They have to in case 70% go for the fish and only 30% go for the meat, they have to have enough of each choice in order to cater for ppls tastes on the day.

It's up to you at the end of the day and you'll get charged for the number of mains served and not the number you give anyway!

GingerLily wrote: »

It's up to you at the end of the day and you'll get charged for the number of mains served and not the number you give anyway!

You actually incorrect in that. I'll get charged the larger number of the number of guests I give or the number of guests on the day. So if someone falls ill last minute and cannot make it I will still have to pay for that guest. Just some food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

xXlollsXx wrote:
    You actually incorrect in that. I'll get charged the larger number of the number of guests I give or the number of guests on the day. So if someone falls ill last minute and cannot make it I will still have to pay for that guest. Just some food for thought.

That's the same for us. Final numbers given 48hrs beforehand and that will be the minimum number paid for, unless it's below the minimum number stated in the contract, then it will be that figure.

So your paying for your own meal either way? Totally understand down playing the numbers to account for last minute drop outs though!

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    xXlollsXx wrote:

That's the same for us. Final numbers given 48hrs beforehand and that will be the minimum number paid for, unless it's below the minimum number stated in the contract, then it will be that figure.
    Your lucky.. 48 hours seems reasonable. Mine is 7 days which is a bit far out. Any one could end up ill within a week

18 days to go, I'm panicking!!!!

Planned the ceremony yesterday, there's so much to do still though.

Bought two big drinks dispensers (5.5l jar with lid) from ikea at the weekend, couldn't see it online but it's very pretty and 16e and looks sturdy too :)

Also had a major skin break our last week, decided to use good old sudacream to callm it down and it's been a godsend, totally worth the sticky pillow case, the expensive acne creams were just bringing new breakouts so delighted that I went back to good old nappy cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We appear to be in "get sh*t sorted" mode of late. Finalised the invites ( I LOVE them!!), so just need to get them printed. Ordered lots of bits from wish (navy tablecloths, cake stand, decorations for the walls of the room), I have a draft of our ceremony nearly finished to run over with the celebrant...

Plus it's my Sten this weekend! I'm excited and nervous, I know very little about what's happening. :eek:

I'm stuck in hospital after a procedure yesterday so I'm taking the opportunity to get on with the table centre flowers - they are going to take a while and I'll be under a lot of pressure I think to get them done in time so every spare moment will be dedicated to that. I also have to make extra flowers for the bouquets because I have an extra bridesmaid now. Those are far easier and less time consuming to make, but they will definitely have to be stiffened first so that will take a bit of extra time. Once that's done though the assembly is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'm stuck in hospital after a procedure yesterday so I'm taking the opportunity to get on with the table centre flowers - they are going to take a while and I'll be under a lot of pressure I think to get them done in time so every spare moment will be dedicated to that. I also have to make extra flowers for the bouquets because I have an extra bridesmaid now. Those are far easier and less time consuming to make, but they will definitely have to be stiffened first so that will take a bit of extra time. Once that's done though the assembly is easy enough.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! Make sure you take the time to get better before your big day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

We are getting married 6 weeks this Saturday, her dress still hasn't arrived and shop is saying at least another week, we've heard that a few times already!! She's starting to get a little anxious! Anyone been through this, is it getting late or is this still OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Skuxx wrote: »
    We are getting married 6 weeks this Saturday, her dress still hasn't arrived and shop is saying at least another week, we've heard that a few times already!! She's starting to get a little anxious! Anyone been through this, is it getting late or is this still OK?

If it actually comes in then it should be fine, just make sure she has a good dress maker lined up to make the alterations that might be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Skuxx wrote: »

Yes I was in the same position! Got my dress one month before wedding, after chasing them for about 3 weeks prior to that. Handed my dress to the seamstress straight away. Heard nothing from her one week before the wedding. Rang her and she started working on my dress straight away. Got my dress back Tuesday and was married on the Friday. My dress was altered too tight too.

Anyway, it is doable but definitely find someone you can trust and isn't taking too much work on. It's stress you don't need.

jellybear wrote:
    Hope you have a speedy recovery! Make sure you take the time to get better before your big day

Thanks jellybear! It was a planned procedure and it should only take a couple of weeks to recover properly. Thankfully the surgeon was able to stick to keyhole! I'm just glad it's over and done with now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Less than 6 weeks now. Omg I'll be married soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Has anyone seen the Mrs dressing gowns in their Penneys, they don't have them in mine and I'd like to get one!

scarepanda wrote:
    Thanks jellybear! It was a planned procedure and it should only take a couple of weeks to recover properly. Thankfully the surgeon was able to stick to keyhole! I'm just glad it's over and done with now!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and have fun with the flowers you sound totally on top of everything :-)

xXlollsXx wrote:
    Wow you got loads off. I've managed to get a discount on 6 rooms. We are staying three nights in total but I can't get a discount on my room 😣

Yeah we really did! Our wedding coordinator is a complete legend!! Little things like throwing in sandwiches when theres only meant to be scones, and they are decorating our candelabras for us! She's making it very easy for us :-)

Thanks mcgiggles!

Oh, I don't think I'd say I'm on top of stuff by any means! There's going to be a lot of work involved in the table centres flowers. They are just slow and tedious to do. And the bouquet flowers need to be finished and then the table centre bottles and jars painted.......I need to sit down and make a proper list of what needs to be done Vs what can be bought etc and enlist the help of my bridesmaids!

Thanks mcgiggles!

Oh, I don't think I'd say I'm on top of stuff by any means! There's going to be a lot of work involved in the table centres flowers. They are just slow and tedious to do. And the bouquet flowers need to be finished and then the table centre bottles and jars painted.......I need to sit down and make a proper list of what needs to be done Vs what can be bought etc and enlist the help of my bridesmaids!

What kind of flowers are using?

I'm so curious!

Get well soon :)

• Advertisement

I'm crocheting all the flowers for the wedding.

The ones for the bouquets are simple enough to do and quick to run off. The slowest bit about them is stiffening them by dipping them in a water/glue mix and then allowing time to dry. They look more like rosettes, but are nice when they are in a group like a bouquet. Once they are dry all I have to do is put a bit of wire through the top and down through the frame of the bouquet and then tidy up the stem/handle bit with some florist tape.

The table centre ones are more detailed and will look a bit more realistic (hopefully), like an individual flower. There's 15 individual petals, a bud and a sepal (the green part of a flower) to be crocheted up for each flower that have to be stitched together. And once that's done Iv to add a stem, which is easy enough, but I'm fussy!

Tbh at the moment I'm half regretting doing the table flowers. It's just going to take so much time. I'm pot committed now though. And I know once I get them done I'll be happy out with them. I'm only doing 1 or 2 for each table and mixing them up with tapered candles. I think my biggest problem is I don't know how many I need to do yet until we get the RSVPs which won't be till October!

I'll try put up a photo of them once I've a few more done and a full bouquet finished. Iv only a mock up done at the moment that will be my daughter's (not that I expect her to use it on the day).

Please do share a picture of the finished item!!!

2 weeks to go.........

The time is flying

So my dads refusing to do a speech now. Hed adamant. My mam won't do one in his place either. I'm so annoyed he doesn't care that hes letting me down. I haven't my family from my side coming as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

My father is the same Irishgirl

My father is the same Irishgirl

They're annoying me now because they are giving out now that I'm trying to make him look like an eejit by asking my grandad instead.
    Just trying to dictate the whole wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Im just having the bestman and oh doing a speech now

They're annoying me now because they are giving out now that I'm trying to make him look like an eejit by asking my grandad instead. Just trying to dictate the whole wedding

You asked him, he refused, his loss. Why shouldn't you be able to ask your grandad after he refused? It's not like you passed him over and went straight to your grandad, you gave him first refusal.

scarepanda wrote:
    You asked him, he refused, his loss. Why shouldn't you be able to ask your grandad after he refused? It's not like you passed him over and went straight to your grandad, you gave him first refusal.

I know scarepanda! Apparently I'm doing it to embarrass him more. Have you ever heard such rubbish. My mam and dad are just ruining it. Why shouldn't I have someone from my side represent me for a speech

I know scarepanda! Apparently I'm doing it to embarrass him more. Have you ever heard such rubbish. My mam and dad are just ruining it. Why shouldn't I have someone from my side represent me for a speech

Aw stop, it's ridiculous! I have it here with my parents with the dictating what we should and shouldn't do. My mam told me to only have our very immediate family (no relations or friends) because she knew one of her sisters wouldn't be getting any invite because I don't have anything to do with her. She hasn't been happy about anything wedding related since and it's all stemming from her sister. Both of them went off in a huff a few weeks ago and didn't speak to me for about 10 days because I mentioned that I was thinking of mixing the parents up at the top table (partly because I like the idea of it and also because the in-laws are separated, and even though they get on I don't think it's fair to leave them beside each other for the meal). Now you would think the wedding isn't evening happening because she doesn't talk about it to anyone! It's great fun!

Oh and a great one from last weekend, apparently if we don't have biscuit cake as part of our wedding cake we're not thinking of our guests, because we need consider our guests and the day isn't about us, it's about the guests!

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote:
    Oh and a great one from last weekend, apparently if we don't have biscuit cake as part of our wedding cake we're not thinking of our guests, because we need consider our guests and the day isn't about us, it's about the guests!

Omg my mum is obsessed with having biscuit cake! Every time I mention the cake she's like so this flavour and biscuit cake! I'm like nope I want cake cake! Red velvet chocolate and carrot! No biscuit!!

Advertisement