Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    That could be he puch back after she pushed him, to his mother that would be wrong but somewhat justified. Hitting a person in the face without provocation would be very wrong to most people.

Or she could have been condoning his hitting his partner on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Originally Posted by jimdublin15 viewpost.gif
    Could be anything, and maybe she is who knows.
    This is why the cops should be investigating the matter and not the media/public.

The thing is though, that the authorities didn't consider the matter serious enough to warrant an investigation, and in that case what would you expect a person should do - go home and put up with it and don't bring shame upon herself and her family?

Or do whatever the hell she could do that was within what little power she had to protect herself and her family? Perhaps more cases highlighted like this in the media will actually make the authorities get their act together when there are real people behind the statistics.

Again ill repeat:

This is why the cops should be investigating the matter and not the media/public.

As for the system as said, I know it I've been on the receiving end of the abuse and been in the system dealing with it. I know it lacks response, but it was reported on Friday, the cops did not dismiss the issue they however did not take him out and have him shot either.

The system is broken, this needs to be addressed no denying that, but we don't know what happened we don't know what was said, we don't know what is being done and we don't have any facts. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Going to the gardai everytime something happens can be counterproductive. You soon get a name for being a time waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Yeah same reasoning vigilantes use.

It's not the same reasoning vigilantes use, it's asking a legitimate question - what do you expect someone who is a victim of domestic violence* to do, when the authorities don't take their complaint seriously?

Isn't it time then the system was examined, rather than the victims?

*I'm not even talking about just the woman in this particular case, but any woman who is the victim of domestic violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 4friggA

Again ill repeat:

As for the system as said, I know it I've been on the receiving end of the abuse and been in the system dealing with it. I know it lacks response, but it was reported on Friday, the cops did not dismiss the issue they however did not take him out and have him shot either.

The system is broken, this needs to be addressed no denying that, but we don't know what happened we don't know what was said, we don't know what is being done and we don't have any facts. It's that simple.

Apparently the gardai have now opened an investigation.

It's not the same reasoning vigilantes use, it's asking a legitimate question - what do you expect someone who is a victim of domestic violence* to do, when the authorities don't take their complaint seriously?

Isn't it time then the system was examined, rather than the victims?

*I'm not even talking about just the woman in this particular case, but any woman who is the victim of domestic violence.

Small correction to your post:

*I'm not even talking about just the woman in this particular case, but any woman person who is the victim of domestic violence

4friggA wrote: »
    Apparently the gardai have now opened an investigation.

It would take a few days in cases like this (That's my experience at least)

Thanks for the patronising response. You have no idea what I have seen, whom I've talked to or roads I've walked.
    Do you know victims often attack the police when they come? Or how often they arrest the wrong person? How often they can't tell the defensive from offensive wounds? Or how frequent false accusations are made?

Apologies if you think I was being patronising, I wasn't intending to be. I don't deny gardai have a really difficult job to do and it can be impossible to tell what is going on, that is the nature of domestic abuse. I think they do they best they can in a situation where they don't have a lot of options. They can only do what the law allows them to do. My point is that for the victim that leaves them exposed and vulnerable and the posters here asking why she didn't just go through official channels are vastly overestimating how effective those channels are and what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No proof?? Have you seen her face?
    I suppose there comes a time when enough is enough. How is what she done any different to someone getting mugged or their phone snatched and going online with a discription of who done it (that goggles for example! No proof of him robbing phones though there's a Facebook set up in his honour)
    His career is ruined? Shoulda thought about that before he raised his hand to her. What about her career? What's she to do when she has a black eye? Call into work sick until it dies down because she should be so ashamed and try protect a man so his reputation isn't ruined?? Victim blaming at its finest

A black eye and an accusation are not proof. Last year I had to go into hospital on a regular basis for drug infusions. That meant each infusion was put through a drip in my arm. I have bad veins and they'd often have to try different sites on both arms until they found a good vein. Being Summer time I was wearing short sleeved clothing and of course the bruises started the rumour mill.

Two of the rumours I heard where that (a) my husband was beating me up and (2) I was a drug addict. Rumours started by people who'd never even spoken to me or my husband but just chose to start nasty gossip and what's worse gullible fcukwits who didn't know us either chose to believe that sh*t and probably just enjoyed a bit of vicious gossip. If I'd been in a bad relationship I could have used that gossip to make false accusations against my husband. I ended up having to wear long sleeves just to try to avoid the vicious bitching of pathetic women with empty lives.

These sorts of threads seem to have a hard core of man hating women, I don't know some of you seem to have serious daddy issues, the rest don't seem to believe that a woman is capable of lying or taking any kind of responsibility for anything. It baffles me that people are so adamant that a complete stranger whose husband cheated on her could possibly be making stuff up out of malice or spite. You just assume it's true, for no reason other than a black eye that she may not have received from her husband. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

The thing is though, that the authorities didn't consider the matter serious enough to warrant an investigation, and in that case what would you expect a person should do - go home and put up with it and don't bring shame upon herself and her family?

Or do whatever the hell she could do that was within what little power she had to protect herself and her family? Perhaps more cases highlighted like this in the media will actually make the authorities get their act together when there are real people behind the statistics.

I find myself agreeing with you to an extent. It's a terrible thing when a victim goes to the authorities and they do not get justice.

On the other hand, when the victim then goes out seeking their own justice how can we regulate that?

If the victim achieves their goal but the punishment doesn't fit the crime then we've put ourselves in the position where the original criminal is now a victim because we supported and allowed the original victim to be too heavy handed.

Lets say this man takes a severe beating as a result of her Facebook video? Could she then be charged for inciting violence against him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It's because it's not treated as a serious issue that the proper channels aren't as effective as they could be. It's because the issue is largely swept under the carpet as victims of domestic violence are afraid to rock the boat, they're afraid they won't be taken seriously, they're afraid they'll be dismissed as simply being vindictive or "takes two to tango".

If you're afraid of society coming apart at the seams because more and more people are speaking out about the issue of domestic violence and want the authorities to start taking it seriously, then society was hardly ideal in the first place, was it?

It's also worth pointing out that in certain cultures it is openly tolerated, if not encouraged, to beat a woman.

But as mods have pointed out, anyone who fcuking DARES to mention this very reasonable and logical point will be instantly banned under the comical banner of 'racism'.

So that's another element in how wife beaters/domestic abusers get away with it-when good people stand by and make excuses for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You just assume it's true, for no reason other than a black eye that she may not have received from her husband. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You seem to be the one with a chip on your shoulder because of a previous experience. Objectively looking at that video one would have to have lack empathy to not see that she was genuine. There may be more information which we were not privy to but the attack on this woman by other women is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Originally Posted by jimdublin15 viewpost.gif

Again ill repeat:

But in just the same way as the vast majority of people know already that domestic violence is socially unacceptable, there are a minority of people in society who don't care about what is or isn't socially acceptable.

In the same way, there are going to be people who have lost faith in a system that is supposed to protect them, but yet it doesn't, and if anything it seems to protect their abusers and makes it harder for victims to come forward. I think we've had that sort of bureaucracy protect abusers long enough, and social media cuts through all that red tape and highlights an issue in the public consciousness that makes it much harder to ignore.

Would we even be having this conversation if it had not been for this woman's courage? I wouldn't have known you had experienced domestic violence, nobody would have known except yourself and the perpetrator. Now thanks to social media, domestic violence isn't the taboo curtain twitchy subject we could comfortably ignore in the past once we didn't have to go through it ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 4friggA

I don't know some of you seem to have serious daddy issues

What on earth is the relevance of this line? What have "daddy issues" got to do with taking this woman's account of things as being truthful?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

eviltwin wrote: »
    Going to the gardai everytime something happens can be counterproductive. You soon get a name for being a time waster.

Ummmmm. What? :confused:
    Small correction to your post:

*I'm not even talking about just the woman in this particular case, but any woman person who is the victim of domestic violence

Oh Bravo on being the 40th person to point this same laboured point out :rolleyes:

4friggA wrote: »
    What on earth is the relevance of this line? What have "daddy issues" got to do with taking this woman's account of things as being truthful?

Pretty self-explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

He's innocent until proven guilty by the state in court

Be very careful what you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Apologies if you think I was being patronising, I wasn't intending to be. I don't deny gardai have a really difficult job to do and it can be impossible to tell what is going on, that is the nature of domestic abuse. I think they do they best they can in a situation where they don't have a lot of options. They can only do what the law allows them to do. My point is that for the victim that leaves them exposed and vulnerable and the posters here asking why she didn't just go through official channels are vastly overestimating how effective those channels are and what they can do.

Fair enough. The existing channels may be flawed, but this is not the right way. A public shaming only creates another victim, he will likely need protection himself now and this has provoked an emotional, reactive public response without reason or perspective.

I am not going to rush to condemnation when we don't know.

The guards see so much violence that one night on OConnel street on Friday can make some mild bruising look inconsequential and down the list of priorities.

My brother once got a terrible black eye from when a kid gave him a piggy back and she tripped on her shoe lace and he fell forward onto the ground. I also got some bruising when a football hit me in the face.

You should have seen the pitying looks I got after oral surgery. It was sickening... It was just assumed I was being punched around...

People jump to wild conclusions.

Plus this is just a video.... It's a representation....no one here has actually seen her. No medical evidence, no witness, very easy to cast doubt,

Cormac... wrote: »

If you pick up the phone everytime your partner does something aggressive or threatening they will soon get sick of you. Think about it. Your partner grabs you and holds a knife to your throat threatening to kill you, you believe him or her and you call gardai...you have no proof, no wounds, its your word against your partners, the gardai go away and nothing has changed, the next time it happens and you call they come around and go away again and you soon get the reputation for being that person who calls up everytime you get into a fight with your loved one. Most victims are well used to that and therefore don't call, they know they won't get anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Are they really though?

In 1971, the first shelter for battered women in the UK (Refuge) was founded by Erin Pizzey. Over the next decade or so she began to notice that domestic violence was very much reciprocal and that most of the women ending up in the shelter were equally as violent as men. Eventually she co-researched a study of why violent people treat each other the way they do (one of the only studies of it's kind, to this day.. given that's not very politically correct to ask why this form of violence occurs) and that research led to her writing a book in the early 80's entitled 'Prone to Violence'. Militant Feminists went nuts, protested her book signings, harassed her constantly and she ended up having to leave the country for her own safety, eventually taking up work in woman's refuge in New Mexico.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You seem to be the one with a chip on your shoulder because of a previous experience. Objectively looking at that video one would have to have lack empathy to not see that she was genuine. There may be more information which we were not privy to but the attack on this woman by other women is something to behold.

What utter horsesh*t. But that's the kind of crazy sh*t you've posted all the way through this thread. I don't take the word of a stranger looking for sympathy on Facebook and I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder. If I were to use your batsh*t crazy logic I could argue that accepting her word as gospel makes you and everyone else who doesn't know her yet believes everything she says as being the ones with chips on their shoulder.

'Attacks on her by other women':confused: Suggesting that it's possible that she might not be telling the truth and and saying that exposing her children to the 3 ring circus of media attention is a bad thing merits an attack on her, Jaysus.:D

Fair enough. The existing channels may be flawed, but this is not the right way. A public shaming only creates another victim, he will likely need protection himself now and this has provoked an emotional, reactive public response without reason or perspective.

I am not going to rush to condemnation when we don't know.

The guards see so much violence that one night on OConnel street on Friday can make some mild bruising look inconsequential and down the list of priorities.

My brother once got a terrible black eye from when a kid gave him a piggy back and she tripped on her shoe lace and he fell forward onto the ground. I also got some bruising when a football hit me in the face.

You should have seen the pitying looks I got after oral surgery. It was sickening... It was just assumed I was being punched around...

People jump to wild conclusions.

Plus this is just a video.... It's a representation....no one here has actually seen her. No medical evidence, no witness, very easy to cast doubt,

I completely agree, I think she was wrong to do this but I can also understand how someone who feels the system has failed them would feel pushed into doing something drastic. It doesn't do anything to address the problems for every other victim though.

But in just the same way as the vast majority of people know already that domestic violence is socially unacceptable, there are a minority of people in society who don't care about what is or isn't socially acceptable.

In the same way, there are going to be people who have lost faith in a system that is supposed to protect them, but yet it doesn't, and if anything it seems to protect their abusers and makes it harder for victims to come forward. I think we've had that sort of bureaucracy protect abusers long enough, and social media cuts through all that red tape and highlights an issue in the public consciousness that makes it much harder to ignore.

Would we even be having this conversation if it had not been for this woman's courage? I wouldn't have known you had experienced domestic violence, nobody would have known except yourself and the perpetrator. Now thanks to social media, domestic violence isn't the taboo curtain twitchy subject we could comfortably ignore in the past once we didn't have to go through it ourselves.

Again my point is it should be investigated, and yes the system is broken. (We are in agreement on that point)

But instant justice and to bypass law and order to punish those presumed guilty ? No. Can't agree with that and won't. That is just a form of the ends justifies the means argument. We can't live like that.

As for the overall issue were talking about 26 % of men and 29 % of women and they deserve more support than a media frenzy and a few facebook posts that will fizz out after a few days /weeks. This is over a quarter of the population and not only them but the children and family around them that are affected. I love all the (Not directed at you) keyboard hero's coming out on this one calling for support and what should be done. You such a shame as most of them should be more focused on the topic before the frenzy and in real life not behind the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Chris___ wrote: »
    He's innocent until proven guilty by the state in court

Be very careful what you post.

A lot of people are being very foolish in what they are posting here, and could be leaving themselves wide open to legal action. I'm surprised boards has left this thread open as Gardai are currently investigating the assault. I would say his legal team could make a very convincing case that the case has been prejudiced by the widespread attention the video has attracted.

Cormac... wrote: »

Oh Bravo on being the 40th person to point this same laboured point out :rolleyes:

Bravo on dismissing it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

If you pick up the phone everytime your partner does something aggressive or threatening they will soon get sick of you. Think about it. Your partner grabs you and holds a knife to your throat threatening to kill you, you believe him or her and you call gardai...you have no proof, no wounds, its your word against your partners, the gardai go away and nothing has changed, the next time it happens and you call they come around and go away again and you soon get the reputation for being that person who calls up everytime you get into a fight with your loved one. Most victims are well used to that and therefore don't call, they know they won't get anywhere.

You can dress it up anyway you want, but your post is just the phrase "Don't Bother" Extrapolated out into a lot of words, and fundamentally that is something I cannot agree with.

That's enabling someone to continue in a fashion that is socially, culturally and legally abhorrent.

People that have this "Oh don't speak up, you'll only be bothering them, pipe down dear, he's only cross, he won't actually kill you" are one of the worst blights on this country and it's lay-down-and-take it culture.

Absolute rubbish
    Bravo on dismissing it. :rolleyes:

How am I dismissing it? There's plenty of white knighting going on all over AH, not just here, without me needing to state the obvious (and oft repeated) points like

"Domestic Violence is wrong against both men and women"
    "Hitting people is wrong"

There ya go, there's the token lip service.
    I was raised to know these things, doesn't mean I need to post them every single chance.

I know how to find the length of the side of an right-angled triangle too but I don't bring that up every time I eat Tortilla chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sheer nonsense.

Neither assault law nor the law on domestic violence contains any "first beating free" provision.

Let's not make up stuff as we go along. You assert it, you check the facts, but I can assure you you are wasting your time because as a matter of common sense it is just nonsense.

That's precisely the point I made, that a Court Order does not purport to physically restrain the respondent.

Your suggestion that people who get done for assault "get locked up for a year or two" is the third piece of utter utter nonsense you have spouted. The vast majority of assault convictions do not result in anything near a prison sentence.

First beating is not free. First time a safety order is broken, I was told by the gardai that they'll be warned on the first time (so they're to keep away from the house and they show up on your door step, the first time this happens they aren't arrested.) I'll take a guards word for that over someone on the Internet.

If you seriously assault someone, they make a statement and press charges, you are looking at being locked up. I'm not talking about taking a drunken swing at a person on a Saturday night outside supermacs, I mean a proper full on assault, where you cause significant injury to another person, it's GBH and the defendant is looking at prison time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Are we just expected to believe the accusations even though they are presented to us out of context?

I don't think anyone is denying that she has been assaulted here. However, I don't think too many of us are fully aware of the circumstances of the assault.

While we can all agree that no person should ever be assaulted or be the victim of violence under any circumstances, reality has a way of going against our expectations. People do get into arguments and fights. It's Human nature unfortunately. This is why context is super important.

A previous poster mentioned "gas-lighting" and how it relates to domestic abuse and I felt that this was an interesting thing to bring up as it allows us to understand that there can be quite a lot of severe manipulation of emotions in bad relationships.

A problem that we have to consider is that "The Internet" has been quick to say how brave this woman has been and how genuine her video is and how it has raised our awareness etc but my opinion is that the bandwagon has been jumped on too soon and if the full story comes out and there are contradictions or it appears that she hasn't told the full truth then it does WAY more harm than any good that might have been achieved.

The "attack" on this woman by other women seems to be not much more than skepticism to be honest. People are right to be skeptical in situations like this. Domestic Violence is a serious serious problem in our society and we have to be sure that the examples we want to hold up or the advice we want to give is watertight. Jumping on Facebook to make a point before you know all the details has the potential to be extremely harmful to the greater discussion surrounding Domestic Violence.

We need to stop allowing ourselves to simplify these situations before getting all the facts and we need to stop indulging these knee-jerk reactions.

If it turns out this man is guilty (and I believe that he is) then he should be punished by the courts and then she can release her video statement as someone who genuinely was brave and who overcame domestic abuse and saw to it that her abuser was convicted. I think this would be the preferred outcome, yes?

If it turns out that the situation is more complex and she had been provoking him or he had really just pushed her and she got the injury when she fell then is extremely damaging for women who may have considered speaking out but now will be afraid because people with think they are being dishonest.

This is an area where people ought to be treading carefully instead of unthinkingly jumping right in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

What utter horsesh*t. But that's the kind of crazy sh*t you've posted all the way through this thread. I don't take the word of a stranger looking for sympathy on Facebook and I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder. If I were to use your batsh*t crazy logic I could argue that accepting her word as gospel makes you and everyone else who doesn't know her yet believes everything she says as being the ones with chips on their shoulder.

'Attacks on her by other women':confused: Suggesting that it's possible that she might not be telling the truth and and saying that exposing her children to the 3 ring circus of media attention is a bad thing merits an attack on her, Jaysus.:D

You appear to be quite aggravated by the whole thing from your responses.

You have said you have no sympathy for her after watching the video. It takes a very tough person to say that after watching it. You have presumed that she is lying (because there is no way you could watch it and not have sympathy for her). You then believe that she is either an actress or delusional.

You are the one making presumptions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement