Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A lot of people are being very foolish in what they are posting here, and could be leaving themselves wide open to legal action. I'm surprised boards has left this thread open as Gardai are currently investigating the assault. I would say his legal team could make a very convincing case that the case has been prejudiced by the widespread attention the video has attracted.

I was thinking that. Given that she has admitted to being guilty of domestic violence against him he could seek custody of the kids on that basis as well. Rightly or wrongly, a good solicitor could probably make a reasonable case for giving custody of the kids to the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Cormac... wrote: »
    How am I dismissing it? There's plenty of white knighting going on all over AH, not just here, without me needing to state the obvious (and oft repeated) points like

"Domestic Violence is wrong against both men and women"
    "Hitting people is wrong"

There ya go, there's the token lip service.
    I was raised to know these things, doesn't mean I need to post them every single chance.

I know how to find the length of the side of an right-angled triangle too but I don't bring that up every time I eat Tortilla chips

By using and accepting certain phrasing and wording of issues such as being gender specific when it relates to matters that nearly by fact affects both or all of us equally we are in fact making it socially acceptable to view it as a one side gender issue.

See one of the biggest issue with domestic abuse is it's not reported for a number of reasons, such as the 26 % of men who have fears it will be dismissed in part because socially were accepting the usage of language that women are victims and men are not, so when someone makes a sweeping and/or gender based statements yes I comment and if it needs to be said 40 or 400 times it needs to be said.

You see it as white knighting that's up to you. I think you're just dismissive

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You appear to be quite aggravated by the whole thing from your responses.

You have said you have no sympathy for her after watching the video. It takes a very tough person to say that after watching it. You have presumed that she is lying (because there is no way you could watch it and not have sympathy for her). You then believe that she is either an actress or delusional.

You are the one making presumptions.

Presumptions? Can you point out where I said I'd watched the video? I stated clearly that I did not watch the video and that my posts are based on what I've read on this thread. We have courts of law for proving guilt or innocence, not trial by tears and the accusations of a woman scorned. I really don't even know why this is in newspapers, it must be a very slow newsweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

We have courts of law for proving guilt or innocence, not trial by tears and the accusations of a woman scorned.
    The idea is that courts are for proving guilt only. Innocence is supposed to be presumed until proven otherwise, and therefore there shouldn't be a requirement to prove it. Of course the reality doesn't always reflect this ideal.

I agree with your point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 4friggA

Pretty self-explanatory.

Obviously not if I've queried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Presumptions? Can you point out where I said I'd watched the video? I stated clearly that I did not watch the video and that my posts are based on what I've read on this thread. We have courts of law for proving guilt or innocence, not trial by tears and the accusations of a woman scorned. I really don't even know why this is in newspapers, it must be a very slow newsweek.

I presumed when you said you had no sympathy for her that you had watched it because otherwise its a strange statement.

If you have not watched it I'm struggling to understand why you are so invested in this. Your anger seems to be that she put this on the internet for others to see. That she spoke out about domestic violence despite never mentioning the guys name, address or anything like that.

First beating is not free. First time a safety order is broken, I was told by the gardai that they'll be warned on the first time (so they're to keep away from the house and they show up on your door step, the first time this happens they aren't arrested.) I'll take a guards word for that over someone on the Internet.

If you seriously assault someone, they make a statement and press charges, you are looking at being locked up. I'm not talking about taking a drunken swing at a person on a Saturday night outside supermacs, I mean a proper full on assault, where you cause significant injury to another person, it's GBH and the defendant is looking at prison time.

Um, you do know that your posts here are, like mine, equally the input of "someone on the internet"?

I am telling you the law. You evidently do not have the slightest iota of it. Whoever told you that a safety order requires anyone to stay away from a house is either taking the proverbial or having a laugh at your expense. Because as surely most people on this thread understand, that's a barring order, not a safety order.

But look, don't take my word for it, after all I am, like you, "someone on the internet". Here is the statute itself.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0001/sec0002.html

And swings outside Supermacs are also proper assaults. Though I see you have now changed your post to limit the reference to "GBH". There is actually no such offence at all in Ireland (is that your 4th or 5th piece of nonsense). You possibly mean the very rarely prosecuted Section 2 and 3 assaults causing actual bodily harm and serious bodily harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you pick up the phone everytime your partner does something aggressive or threatening they will soon get sick of you. Think about it. Your partner grabs you and holds a knife to your throat threatening to kill you, you believe him or her and you call gardai...you have no proof, no wounds, its your word against your partners, the gardai go away and nothing has changed, the next time it happens and you call they come around and go away again and you soon get the reputation for being that person who calls up everytime you get into a fight with your loved one. Most victims are well used to that and therefore don't call, they know they won't get anywhere.

I think that you have highlighted a very serious point that doesn't really seem to be discussed at all.

Society is quick to praise the victim sporting the black eye and pointing the finger at the attacker. Society is just as quick to say "its probably not that serious then" to the victim who's injuries are psychological or not obviously visible and people who seem too tall or big or scarey to be a victim are more or less ignored.

Again, it comes down to education. People need to be informed about how to recognize problems and they need to be equipped to deal with those problems when they arise.

I am sure that a lot of people suffer in silence because they actually have no idea how do escape or counter the things that are happening to them.

I can honestly say that I do not recall ever having any exposure to initiatives that try to inform people about how to deal with abusive and/or destructive relationships.

Most of our relationship preparation and education comes from media or personal experience right? So people can find themselves in dire situations long before they have any idea how to even deal with it.

I presumed when you said you had no sympathy for her that you had watched it because otherwise its a strange statement.

If you have not watched it I'm struggling to understand why you are so invested in this. Your anger seems to be that she put this on the internet for others to see. That she spoke out about domestic violence despite never mentioning the guys name, address or anything like that.

I'm not angry. If anything I'm shocked that so many people take the accusations of a random stranger as being true. What this story boils down to is a woman whose husband cheated on her went online with a bruised eye and accused her husband of beating her. It may be true, it may not be true. But without hesitation, people have supported her allegations, without question and anyone who does question her motives or heaven forfend, suggest that it's posssible that she's lying, is attacked for 'attacking her'.

I'm not invested in it. I'm genuinely concerned at how people can support an attack on a man they don't know which has effectively destroyed his businesses because he's been tried by social media and found guilty. What if the guy were your son, husband or brother? How would you feel if they were being dragged through the mud so publically based on nothing more than accusations made by a woman he'd cheated on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

orubiru wrote: »
    So people can find themselves in dire situations long before they have any idea how to even deal with it.

And that is the key point. Helping victims know what they can do when domestic violence happens, be it from a partner or sibling or parent.
    From a legal and personal perspective.
    Way too much domestic abuse is not reported until it is too late as the law is seen as the last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Again my point is it should be investigated, and yes the system is broken. (We are in agreement on that point)

In truth, I agree with you in principle that these cases should be properly investigated and there should be adequate supports in place and adequate deterrents in place to prevent people from committing domestic violence, but I think most of us here are aware how like every issue in society, it's a question of resources and attitudes in society - sufficient resources aren't funneled into dealing with domestic violence because people don't see it as a serious issue, because people aren't generally aware of the scale of the issue, because the authorities don't have the resources to tackle it, and organisations don't have the resources to support the victims.

The solution is not to bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen, and shame anyone who dares speak out. We're not all so familiar with the legal system that our first thought is to go to the authorities. More and more nowadays whether we like it or not, social media is giving a voice to those people in society who have largely gone ignored. We used to be able to conveniently ignore that which we found awkward, pretend it wasn't happening, etc. Social media hasn't just ripped apart "the very fabric of society", it's given a voice to people we'd rather kept their business to themselves. The awkwardness is OUR problem, it's something WE should be ashamed of, not the victims of domestic violence. They haven't done anything wrong, they shouldn't be punished three times over - first by the perpetrator, second by the authorities, and third by the public.

But instant justice and to bypass law and order to punish those presumed guilty ? No. Can't agree with that and won't. That is just a form of the ends justifies the means argument. We can't live like that.

But no justice has been meted out yet? The guy chose to go into hiding himself, and apparently he's come out in the media saying he didn't do anything, he just pushed her. There will be no justice here in a case of he said/she said, and that's often the case in domestic violence cases. It's impossible to separate fact from fiction (I keep thinking of the woman I know who broke her own jaw off the stairs bannister so she could say her ex did it!), so it's understandable that people are going to take the law into their own hands when the law as they see it is unfit to protect them and punish the person they see as guilty.

As for the overall issue were talking about 26 % of men and 29 % of women and they deserve more support than a media frenzy and a few facebook posts that will fizz out after a few days /weeks. This is over a quarter of the population and not only them but the children and family around them that are affected. I love all the (Not directed at you) keyboard hero's coming out on this one calling for support and what should be done. You such a shame as most of them should be more focused on the topic before the frenzy and in real life not behind the keyboard.

I know what you mean, and honestly I would hate to see this woman become the "poster girl" for domestic violence (I've no time for "celebrity misfortunes"), because the double edged sword as you quite rightly point out is that the social media spotlight will be on her for a bit, before it moves on to the next "issue", and domestic violence again gets swept under the carpet because it's not a sexy hot topic any more, the authorities are off the hook again and can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Probably for the same reason that most of us feel invested in it. Domestic Violence is a serious problem. Any kind of abuse and assault that can go on behind closed doors, in private, away from the reach of the law is unacceptable to most people.

Most people will have had some kind exposure to domestic violence or abuse or bullying or manipulation in some form, either as victim or abuser or both. So, most people will have an opinion.

For you, it seems totally unacceptable to consider that some accusations may not be truthful or there may be lies or abuse or manipulation taking place behind the mask of the victim/accuser. So when someone points this out to you the reaction is to shut them down rather then to think "wait, this could be a really complicated issue".

If ALL you have to offer is praise for this woman for speaking out about domestic violence then I am sorry to tell you but the vast majority of people already know that it exists and know that it's wrong.

No amount of anecdotes or youtube videos or facebook posts are going to improve the situation for victims of abuse. I can't imagine how awareness can be raised any higher than it already is.

Maybe it's time for people to say "Hey, maybe Pumpkinseeds has a point here. We should really look into the mechanics of abuse and accusation and manipulation to see if we can better educate ourselves to deal with these things".

All you seem to be trying to do is attempting to shut someone down who is saying that maybe things are not always as they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

In truth, I agree with you in principle that these cases should be properly investigated and there should be adequate supports in place and adequate deterrents in place to prevent people from committing domestic violence, but I think most of us here are aware how like every issue in society, it's a question of resources and attitudes in society - sufficient resources aren't funneled into dealing with domestic violence because people don't see it as a serious issue, because people aren't generally aware of the scale of the issue, because the authorities don't have the resources to tackle it, and organisations don't have the resources to support the victims.

The solution is not to bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen, and shame anyone who dares speak out. We're not all so familiar with the legal system that our first thought is to go to the authorities. More and more nowadays whether we like it or not, social media is giving a voice to those people in society who have largely gone ignored. We used to be able to conveniently ignore that which we found awkward, pretend it wasn't happening, etc. Social media hasn't just ripped apart "the very fabric of society", it's given a voice to people we'd rather kept their business to themselves. The awkwardness is OUR problem, it's something WE should be ashamed of, not the victims of domestic violence. They haven't done anything wrong, they shouldn't be punished three times over - first by the perpetrator, second by the authorities, and third by the public.

Marked in bold I fully agree with you, i think for the most part we agree.
    However it's a matter that should be investigated by the cops and not a matter for the public first. We don't have all the facts and we son't know what happened, hence it needs investigation. Now it's become a media item before the investigation and that is troublesome.

But no justice has been meted out yet? The guy chose to go into hiding himself, and apparently he's come out in the media saying he didn't do anything, he just pushed her. There will be no justice here in a case of he said/she said, and that's often the case in domestic violence cases. It's impossible to separate fact from fiction (I keep thinking of the woman I know who broke her own jaw off the stairs bannister so she could say her ex did it!), so it's understandable that people are going to take the law into their own hands when the law as they see it is unfit to protect them and punish the person they see as guilty.

Would agree in general that in cases around domestic abuse there is little to no justice in the case, it's difficult in domestic abuse cases as it's often a he said / she said story . Mine was on tape so she admitted to it in the end to the cops when confronted with the tape, but if I did not have the tape it would have been a different story, and a good chance I would have been the one accused at the end of the day.

One thing is for sure, this whole situation with this poor lady's case has not made it any easier for the the investigating offices to investigate the matter.
    I know what you mean, and honestly I would hate to see this woman become the "poster girl" for domestic violence (I've no time for "celebrity misfortunes"), because the double edged sword as you quite rightly point out is that the social media spotlight will be on her for a bit, before it moves on to the next "issue", and domestic violence again gets swept under the carpet because it's not a sexy hot topic any more, the authorities are off the hook again and can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Indeed.

Menas wrote: »
    And that is the key point. Helping victims know what they can do when domestic violence happens, be it from a partner or sibling or parent.
    From a legal and personal perspective.
    Way too much domestic abuse is not reported until it is too late as the law is seen as the last resort.

I think in Ireland recently we've only had the "Man Up" campaign, right?

Which, to me, seems more like an attempt to tell men not to be an abuser. I don't really understand why anyone would think that "shaming" men who commit violent acts or abuse their wives or children is somehow going to work.

Personally, I don't think it's a particularly comforting thought that violent guys are somehow being kept in line by an advertising campaign.

What I feel we really need is more campaigning on how people can identify potentially damaging behaviors and get out safely if things start to fall apart.

Do victims of domestic abuse in Ireland even have a place to go if things start to get bad? I don't mean someplace they can go after it has gotten out of hand, I mean somewhere they can go for advice when they feel there are warning signs of future trouble?

Of course, this is all based on the assumption that partners don't just randomly become violent and/or abusive overnight.

I agree that it definitely seems like no action is taken until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

orubiru wrote: »
    I think in Ireland recently we've only had the "Man Up" campaign, right?

Which, to me, seems more like an attempt to tell men not to be an abuser. I don't really understand why anyone would think that "shaming" men who commit violent acts or abuse their wives or children is somehow going to work.

Personally, I don't think it's a particularly comforting thought that violent guys are somehow being kept in line by an advertising campaign.

What I feel we really need is more campaigning on how people can identify potentially damaging behaviors and get out safely if things start to fall apart.

Do victims of domestic abuse in Ireland even have a place to go if things start to get bad? I don't mean someplace they can go after it has gotten out of hand, I mean somewhere they can go for advice when they feel there are warning signs of future trouble?

Of course, this is all based on the assumption that partners don't just randomly become violent and/or abusive overnight.

I agree that it definitely seems like no action is taken until it's too late.

Womens Aid and Amen have warning signs to look out for on their websites. They will talk to anyone with concerns on the phone, even parents, friends who are worried about someone. They can help safety plan for someone who needs to get out.

All great but very few people really know abuse when they see it, its so subtle. Very few abusers start off punching their partners, its a slow burner over months or years so by the time the abuser has progressed to violence the victim is so broken down they can't tell anyone or feel somehow to blame.

I have a friend who was in an abusive relationship for 3 years, I never knew. I never saw the signs, never copped on that he was not what he seemed. She eventually killed herself because she couldn't see a way out and he's now in prison for attacking another woman with a hammer. Even with hindsight looking back he was a great bloke, nothing was out of place.

I really believe that we need to educate young people about the dangers of abusive relationships, it needs to be part of SPHE. Its worrying that studies show how many young people think abuse in a relationship isn't abuse or that its sometimes justified.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Womens Aid and Amen have warning signs to look out for on their websites. They will talk to anyone with concerns on the phone, even parents, friends who are worried about someone. They can help safety plan for someone who needs to get out.

All great but very few people really know abuse when they see it, its so subtle. Very few abusers start off punching their partners, its a slow burner over months or years so by the time the abuser has progressed to violence the victim is so broken down they can't tell anyone or feel somehow to blame.

I have a friend who was in an abusive relationship for 3 years, I never knew. I never saw the signs, never copped on that he was not what he seemed. She eventually killed herself because she couldn't see a way out and he's now in prison for attacking another woman with a hammer. Even with hindsight looking back he was a great bloke, nothing was out of place.

I really believe that we need to educate young people about the dangers of abusive relationships, it needs to be part of SPHE. Its worrying that studies show how many young people think abuse in a relationship isn't abuse or that its sometimes justified.

Couldn't agree more with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I dont know whether or not the content of the video was the truth or not.

But if I take it at face value, I think that she should not have released that video. We have a criminal justice system, trial by social media is not acceptable. She has now caused a situation where he cannot have any kind of a fair trial because people will be influenced by the content of her video. His lawyers will jump on that and it will mean he doesnt get fairly punished for the assault.

If she wanted to make that video and release it she should have waited until after there was a conviction secured against him.

I also noticed in the video that she made no mention of reporting the assault to the guards, and that she has left her entire facebook page wide open so her childrens privacy is now gone as well.

The woman has my every sympathy for the situation she was in but I dont think that this is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I dont know whether or not the content of the video was the truth or not.

But if I take it at face value, I think that she should not have released that video. We have a criminal justice system, trial by social media is not acceptable. She has now caused a situation where he cannot have any kind of a fair trial because people will be influenced by the content of her video. His lawyers will jump on that and it will mean he doesnt get fairly punished for the assault.

If she wanted to make that video and release it she should have waited until after there was a conviction secured against him.

I also noticed in the video that she made no mention of reporting the assault to the guards, and that she has left her entire facebook page wide open so her childrens privacy is now gone as well.

The woman has my every sympathy for the situation she was in but I dont think that this is the way forward.

In her victim mentality she has violated the rights of a number of people, including her own children.

Even if what she says is true, what she has done in retaliation is also abusive.

This is not the first time I've seen "protection" used as a means to make civil abuses palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I watched her vid and am not convinced.
    Remember she is a fitness blogger, known from nowhere -and i'd say she knew what her intentions were.She knows how to use social media and destroy a person life instead of going through the system to protect her and her kids.
    Her first sentence started with: 'Hi guys..My name is Emma... Emma Murphy...' ==> this is the way you learn in marketing to introduce yourself when starting a presentation/marketing strategy
    Having said the names and showing her kids on the vids are a very wrong way to protect and secure them especially in the public eye
    Her black eye does not prove anything - it is easy to fake a black eye (am not saying she did but it is of no proof whatsoever). The first thing people see is she has a bruise on her face and that what make people bite into her story (true or not, we don't really know)
    And not wanting to move into racism, but a blondie getting beaten up by a big black dude -- it is quite a 'sensational scoop' isn't? And that will target lots of reactions, comments (and racist ones as well)
    What are her real motivations? beside the fact she said to raise awareness. We all know man/woman violence is a no way to have.And there is lots of awareness raised about that in the media
    So why posting in her personal page AND fan page?
    What she did is a complete defamation of character and I think this is completely wrong. We don't know the guy and we don't know her - and both personality.
    We only hear her side of the story.. I'd say the guy stays silence because everything he say, can be used against him and might also get lots of knife thrown to him.
    That's my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Um, you do know that your posts here are, like mine, equally the input of "someone on the internet"?

I am telling you the law. You evidently do not have the slightest iota of it. Whoever told you that a safety order requires anyone to stay away from a house is either taking the proverbial or having a laugh at your expense. Because as surely most people on this thread understand, that's a barring order, not a safety order.

But look, don't take my word for it, after all I am, like you, "someone on the internet". Here is the statute itself.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0001/sec0002.html

And swings outside Supermacs are also proper assaults. Though I see you have now changed your post to limit the reference to "GBH". There is actually no such offence at all in Ireland (is that your 4th or 5th piece of nonsense). You possibly mean the very rarely prosecuted Section 2 and 3 assaults causing actual bodily harm and serious bodily harm.

Alright Conor.

Just as an FYI.
    Safety order: he may be arrested (discretion of the gardai) this must be the one the guard talked to me about
    Protection order: will be arrested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Folks

The partner is now on the front page of the Evening Herald and has made a statement so is now out in the open.

It seems he admits a push but not a punch. He admits to cheating.

he is ashamed of his actions etc.

as mentioned earlier the focus remains on the physical element of the claims.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Folks

The partner is now on the front page of the Evening Herald and has made a statement so is now out in the open.

It seems he admits a push but not a punch. He admits to cheating.

he is ashamed of his actions etc.

as mentioned earlier the focus remains on the physical element of the claims.

And now his Solicitor has his head in his hands...

I think 9 out of 10 Solicitors would have told him to bite his tongue, or issue the simplest of denials.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

wonder if the other woman whos pregnant is considering an abortion yet

This is a reason to stay out of gyms....women looking for attention and guys looking for ass...sorta like a pub but with barbells instead of bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

padz wrote: »

This is a reason to stay out of gyms

I knew there had to be a reason I never liked going to gym, dangerous places alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The two of them seem like a pair of clowns if I'm honest. From listening to her on Adrian Kennedy (The After Hours of Radio funnily enough) it seems like 'pushing, shoving and getting heavy' was commonplace in the relationship and going both ways.
    Making the video and claiming it was about 'awareness' I don't buy. Awareness... a word that's lost all meaning now, anybody remeber what the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness for?
    The guy involved in this case also seems like a complete imbecile. Serial cheater and sticking around in a violent relationship and when the dirty laundry is aired and he needed to go to a solicitor he went to the sun and the herald. I can't help but feel these people think in some way that this is a good way to raise their respective public profiles. I can nearly hear somebody saying the words 'damage limitation' to him and 'we can milk this' to her.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic but it seems like there's the two of them in this

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

And now his Solicitor has his head in his hands...

I think 9 out of 10 Solicitors would have told him to bite his tongue, or issue the simplest of denials.

Yes I did push her. I pushed her, I didn't punch her. It was just the force.

I have never in all my life seen someone being 'pushed' over and not suffer a few cuts/bruises the face and end up with an eye like that.

Thankfully the gardaí have to act on it now as it is in nearly all media outlets at this stage. It's appauling in this day and age that it takes this amount of coverage for them to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Awareness... a word that's lost all meaning now, anybody remeber what the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness for?

Cat Aids?

It was ALS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

I knew there had to be a reason I never liked going to gym, dangerous places alright!

Not at all just peoples motivations, people being people,flirting, txting Facebook, gym instructors are like the new priests, exercise is not a communal thing, for me anyway its something i do alone and from my own motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

She should not have posted that video. It was wrong.

I know I am in a minority here, but when questioned on the radio, the woman in question said that they 'both' used to hit one another during arguments. They are 'both' at fault if that is the case, and to completely destroy the man's reputation all over Ireland is completely unjustified.

She claims he 'spilt her head open'. He came out and said that is completely untrue. If what she is claiming is true, then she should be able to provide proof as she would have had to attend a GP at the very least.

I also think showing her kids faces in the background is shocking and she should not have done this.

I do not condone this mans behaviour for one second but the two of them are 'equally' to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I know I am in a minority here, but when questioned on the radio, the woman in question said that they 'both' used to hit one another during arguments. They are 'both' at fault if that is the case,.

The man pretty much always assumes all the blame in these situations.

There was a video on the bbc site or sky news yesterday I think about a college football player in america thats been indefinitely suspended and police are investigating after a video is released of him punching a woman in a bar. So I had a look to see what happened, The video shows a woman at a crowded bar (standing at the bar) and the guys shoves his way up between people to a spot behind her. They start arguing and she gives him a dig in the face . He does the same in retaliation and thus ends the fight. Theres no mention of her hitting him, or that she hit first.The whole thing is about him hitting her and whats happening to him after and in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement