Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I'm not sure who to sympathise with, or if either of them deserve any sympathy. She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels. He needs to keep it in his pants; there's enough fatherless children out there without him adding to the pile.
    A victim of domestic violence deserves no sympathy?? And you would consider feeling sorry for him? Unreal. But then again this is boards, where a man is never wrong and women are never victims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

Yes a perfect landing on the eye socket with her hands behind her back.

Maybe had she lost an eye there would be more sympathy for her plight?
    The guy could have 50 wives for all anyone cares as long as he treated them all with respect.
    He is now the poster boy for a woman beater . Tough and all that that is for him he might think twice before he uses his fists against a female .
    Maybe this is his Road to Damascus life changing event .
    It took a lot if courage to do what she did and at last this scourge of domestic violence might be addressed comprehensively .

I know people of his culture are sterotyped to be more violent and prone to cheating and leaving children fatherless. But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    I know people of his culture are sterotyped to be more violent and prone to cheating and leaving children fatherless. But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

It's not stereotyping to judge him on his own behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

I never for one second judged on his stereotype. You yourself there jumped to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt. This man Irish or not, now has had his business and career destroyed by one facebook video where he is potentially innocent. It certainly is not fair on the kids now who have to grow up with this in the media and public because her mother would not deal with it in the proper channels.

Its worrying how accepted this has become, there are many evil women out there who would with glee destroy a mans life with false rape or domestic accusations on facebook just to hurt the other person. If this is acceptable what is the point in a judicial or law system? If a woman posts a video claiming you assaulted her and you didnt, where can you come back from that? This mob rule on social and print media is turning society into anarchy.

Its a complete joke this mans mother has been tracked down by press. The woman involved seems more interested in a media career than her kids or going through the proper channels. I feel sorry for the next man who gets involved with her, but if he has any sense theres enough info online to raise plenty of red flags. She seems to believe its acceptable to hit a man with a mobile phone but if she is touched in response it is akin to a war crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I think it's fair to say that those of the indigenious culture aren't total strangers to domestic abuse or leaving children fatherless.

Maybe had she lost an eye there would be more sympathy for her plight?

No not at all, sure she could of fell on something and had her eye out!

It's shocking to think if a man or woman suffering from an abusive relationship are reading what was said here in the thread. It might just knock that little but of built up confidence to come out and tell their story.

It took a lot if courage to do what she did and at last this scourge of domestic violence might be addressed comprehensively .

100% agreed.

1800 wrote: »
    Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt. This man Irish or not, now has had his business and career destroyed by one facebook video where he is potentially innocent. It certainly is not fair on the kids now who have to grow up with this in the media and public because her mother would not deal with it in the proper channels.

Its worrying how accepted this has become, there are many evil women out there who would with glee destroy a mans life with false rape or domestic accusations on facebook just to hurt the other person. If this is acceptable what is the point in a judicial or law system? If a woman posts a video claiming you assaulted her and you didnt, where can you come back from that? This mob rule on social and print media is turning society into anarchy.

Its a complete joke this mans mother has been tracked down by press. The woman involved seems more interested in a media career than her kids or going through the proper channels. I feel sorry for the next man who gets involved with her, but if he has any sense theres enough info online to raise plenty of red flags. She seems to believe its acceptable to hit a man with a mobile phone but if she is touched in response it is akin to a war crime.

On what do you base your claim of "many evil women"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

PucaMama wrote: »
    There are, but also many evil men - so the fairer thing would be to say there are many evil people. However this thread is all about having a go at the women dontcha know.

The strong possibility of the woman being assaulted by her partner in this case is of no concern btw. Oh no.

I agree trial by social media is a concern, innocent until proven guilty is a concern... but her being assaulted and him possibly being guilty is a concern too. These shouldn't overshadow each other.

Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt.

Victims of slander, also have the protection of the law and access to 'the proper channels'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm just curious, but how would you have phrased that sentence differently?

Well, a comma might have helped:

who is due to become a father for the third time this week, with another woman.

PucaMama wrote: »

I forgot this is Ireland. If youre a woman you cannot be bad, evil or a criminal. It must have been a man forcing you to do bad things or abusing you. If a woman murders in this country all she will get is a couple of years if that, in the Dochas centre which is like living in a 3 star Travel Lodge.

She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels.

You see, that's where you are completely wrong. The video has over 9,866,158 views from both her personal and business page. Would you ever consider that some man or woman that watched that video decided if she could come out, so can I?

A lot of people keep saying 'oh well she didn't go through the right channels'.

She did. She went to the Gardaí, informed them of the incident and they classed it as a minor case. (Can you imagine this is probably my 4th or 5th time to say this here??).

So what would you expect her to do after being told that? Would you just go back home, wait until you get another few shiners or even worse?

Funnily enough the Gardaí have now decided to investigate the situation seen as it has got a few million views. If she strolled out of the station that Friday and gave up, do you think he wouldn't hit her again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i had a gut feeling as soon as i saw her children in the video, people were going to make this a race thing. which is disappointing.

Trudiha wrote: »
    Victims of slander, also have the protection of the law and access to 'the proper channels'.

People will always believe in no smoke without fire. It doesnt matter about defamation this mans business and livelyhood has already been destroyed.

Look at the mob comments under the video and see if those people would care if he won a defamation case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Did the fact that he was having a child with another woman cloud her judgement? I imagine, if she was hoping to have 'the perfect family' with this man, that it must have been a bitter pill to swallow. It would explain why she took the nuclear option.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i had a gut feeling as soon as i saw her children in the video, people were going to make this a race thing. which is disappointing.

It is, it's a pity. I would never think by looking at a coloured person 'oh well he could hit me'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Well, they've thrown just about every other kind of **** at the guy, it was only a matter of time before that one raised it's ugly head. Astonishing how so many people will believe anything without any actual evidence to back it up. Still, a lot of people used to be convinced that the earth was flat.:D

Well, they've thrown just about every other kind of **** at the guy, it was only a matter of time before that one raised it's ugly head. Astonishing how so many people will believe anything without any actual evidence to back it up. Still, a lot of people used to be convinced that the earth was flat.:D

So I'm guessing your on the band wagon as well that thinks 'well eh... she fell' yeah?

Is a black eye not enough evidence for you? Is her story in the video not believable enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I gather that the incident happened outside the gym owned by the ex. I wonder if there is CCTV coverage that could help the gardai with their enquiries.

• Advertisement

This can be summarised as:

- They have kids
    - Man cheats on woman and gets mistress pregnant
    - Woman confronts man at his place of work, throws mobile phone at him, he pushes or hits her and she falls
    - Woman posts FB and ruins mans business and life
    - Woman gets job with the Irish Independent ????

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

The guy should be given the benefit of the doubt, but saying there's no cause to believe her (and acting as if he is *definitely* innocent when there is a strong chance he isn't) is highly dishonest. The stuff about "Women do this kind of thing" just indicates axe-grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Its a pity that she was probably just trying to be a progressive liberal by being in a relationship with a black man but ended up feeding into the stereotype.

People will always believe in no smoke without fire. It doesnt matter about defamation this mans business and livelyhood has already been destroyed.

Look at the mob comments under the video and see if those people would care if he won a defamation case.

It's pretty much the same after you've been punched in the face by a partner. It really doesn't matter if someone gets a fine or a conditional discharge at a later date, you've got a sore face, your confidence is destroyed. Victims often lose their homes and a good chunck of their income.

Woman gets job with the Irish Independent ????

Elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Trudiha wrote: »
    It's pretty much the same after you've been punched in the face by a partner. It really doesn't matter if someone gets a fine or a conditional discharge at a later date, you've got a sore face, your confidence is destroyed. Victims often lose their homes and a good chunck of their income.

Accordíng to a radio interview mentioned earlier in the thread she said that when they fought they hit each other, so perhaps he has been punched in the face by her also?

Its a pity that she was probably just trying to be a progressive liberal by being in a relationship with a black man but ended up feeding into the stereotype.
    I'd say she ended up in a relationship with him and having children with him because she liked him, rather than to be a "progressive liberal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So I'm guessing your on the band wagon as well that thinks 'well eh... she fell' yeah?

Is a black eye not enough evidence for you? Is her story in the video not believable enough?

I don't know how many times I have to say that NO, a black eye is not evidence of domestic abuse. It's a black eye, as simple as that. I didn't see him hit her and neither did any other poster in this forum. All this hatred people have for a stranger is bizarre. As for people saying he can use the courts to prove his innocence, I hope if he does choose that avenue that he doesn't end up with any of you posters as his jurers.

It doesn't matter what he says, you've all decided that he's filth and that she's some sort of evangelical crusading poster child for battered women. You really can't accept the possibilty that she might just be a vindictive bitch who is pissed at him for cheating on her and who wants to fcuk up his life. You see, I can accept that she could be entirely sincere, but I can also acknowledge that she might just be lying. Whatever, she's certainly cashing in on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The guy should be given the benefit of the doubt, but saying there's no cause to believe her (and acting as if he is *definitely* innocent when there is a strong chance he isn't) is highly dishonest. The stuff about "Women do this kind of thing" just indicates axe-grinding.

I guess I could smell Doritos and B.O. from somewhere...I think I recognise this smell from the thread on Ched Evans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

over 400 posts of gossip :)

ffs :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement