Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I turned off the video when she said a man should never put his hands on a woman no matter what. I believe she was giving as good as she got and the two of them are a bunch of nutcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

who is due to become a father for the third time this week with another woman

Indo sub-editing up to par as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Every single time I read one of their articles I'm almost guaranteed to find at least 5-10 grammar mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just for the record (and possible benefit of someone reading this) there are a number of secure refuges that can take victim of domestic violence and their children in - and look after them.

They aren't worth a mickey TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I'm not sure who to sympathise with, or if either of them deserve any sympathy. She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels. He needs to keep it in his pants; there's enough fatherless children out there without him adding to the pile.

I'm not sure who to sympathise with, or if either of them deserve any sympathy. She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels. He needs to keep it in his pants; there's enough fatherless children out there without him adding to the pile.

What's the proper channels Jack? Go to the police, he gets a night in the cell and comes back harder the next night? There is very little proper channels here. If you have kids anyway you can get them out of the house and make sure he doesn't do it again. Even if that means half the city wants to hurt the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

steddyeddy wrote: »
    What's the proper channels Jack? Go to the police, he gets a night in the cell and comes back harder the next night? There is very little proper channels here. If you have kids anyway you can get them out of the house and make sure he doesn't do it again. Even if that means half the city wants to hurt the guy.

How does posting a video get him out of the house? It's even less usefull then going to the police as at least the police can do something if they saw merit in her accusation. The video is just a video can't stop him going to his house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

who is due to become a father for the third time this week with another woman

I'm just curious, but how would you have phrased that sentence differently?

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    How does posting a video get him out of the house? It's even less usefull then going to the police as at least the police can do something if they saw merit in her accusation. The video is just a video can't stop him going to his house

Yea in fairness I agree it's not the best course of action but there are very little proper channels here. She also shouldn't have had the kids in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

who is due to become a father for the third time when his new woman gives birth this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It reads like he became a father with another woman twice already this week. :)

I'd have phrased it something like "A woman with whom he cheated is due to give birth to his child shortly."

I assume the two other children are the children he has with the woman on the video, and not two more children with another woman/other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

who is due to become a father for the third time when his new woman gives birth this week
    It reads like he became a father with another woman twice already this week. :)

I'd have phrased it something like "A woman with whom he cheated is due to give birth to his child shortly."

I assume the two other children are the children he has with the woman on the video, and not two more children with another woman/other women.

Really? You think phrases like "with whom he cheated" and "his new woman" sound professional?

Good thing you aren't able to give direct advice to a newspaper with a daily circulation of 112,502.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Really? You think phrases like "with whom he cheated" and "his new woman" sound professional?

Good thing you aren't able to give direct advice to a newspaper with a daily circulation of 112,502.
    Well they don't sound as bad as the state of the part being referred to - surely you can see what's wrong with it?

The Indo regularly has terrible editing and errors. Not sure what its circulation has to do with anything. Popular doesn't automatically mean not rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Yea in fairness I agree it's not the best course of action but there are very little proper channels here. She also shouldn't have had the kids in the background.

But she should have had a picture of her abuser in the foreground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

She had already left his house when she posted the video. It may well stop him from going to the house where she is staying, since he can no longer depend on her to keep quiet about his behavior.

She had already left his house when she posted the video. It may well stop him from going to the house where she is staying, since he can no longer depend on her to keep quiet about his behavior.

Going to the guards also shows not keeping quiet and has the same outcome. Only thing posting the video does is rile up the Internet mob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Going to the guards also shows not keeping quiet and has the same outcome. Only thing posting the video does is rile up the Internet mob

That was what she wanted. I'll be interested to see if she's planning on opening a new business anytime soon.

It doesn't necessarily have the same outcome? What would the gaurds do?

Fair trial.We don't know the facts.
    Hogwash

Raw video
    She got a hard belt from someone to produce a shiner like that .
    She didn't "walk into a press door" and if he's so innocent he can sue Facebook for allowing the "slanderous"post and then her to clear his name neither of which will happen .
    Great to hear the campaigns on radio about domestic abuse but this is the trigger for far more debate on the hidden problem and to that end judging by the amount of views it has achieved that .

Well done to her.

Why does anyone give a rats ass about a hotheaded thug who had beaten a woman ?

• Advertisement

Why does anyone give a rats ass about a hotheaded thug who had beaten a woman ?

Cause we don't know that's what happened yet.

It doesn't necessarily have the same outcome? What would the gaurds do?

One doesn't ruin his life and business without a fair trail if she is making stuff up. If she is telling the truth it will be the same outcome once the proper trail has been done

Cause we don't know that's what happened yet.

So could you enlighten us as to what you think happened? A fairy came - gave her the shiner then sprinkled some magic dust that gives her the ability to lie about her partner and put up a video etc etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

So could you enlighten us as to what you think happened? A fairy came - gave her the shiner then sprinkled some magic dust that gives her the ability to lie about her partner and put up a video etc etc...?

Didn't you hear? Per her ex-partner, "she fell".

Perhaps not the most original story ever told by a person like him.

Didn't you hear? Per her ex-partner, "she fell".

Perhaps not the most original story ever told by a person like him.

Ahh silly me! It's mad what damage a 'fall' can do these days :rolleyes:

Very easy to hurt yourself like another poster said about the person they knew breaking her jaw and blaming it on the ex. We need to let the proper authorities investigate to get the real facts no one knows what happened.

With Internet justice it won't be long till sometime like this is not a joke article

clickhole.com/article/justice-last-when-girl-was-cyberbullied-classmate--2219

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I had a bit of a look through a couple of tabloid newspapers today and I estimate that about 90% of what was published in either of them hadn't yet been to court or will never be the subject of a criminal or civil trial. I'd say that today's newpapers are probably no different to any other day's, so why is it that, this woman in particular shouldn't publish information about what has happen to her before a trial? Why do some people have such a hard time believing a woman who claims to have been a victim of an assult or abuse?

Very easy to hurt yourself like another poster said about the person they knew breaking her jaw and blaming it on the ex.

Wow, I have heard it all now. There are so many men and women in abusive relationships and with people like you, how can you expect them to come out and tell their story? Shut down the very minute they open their mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

Wow, I have heard it all now. There are so many men and women in abusive relationships and with people like you, how can you expect them to come out and tell their story? Shut down the very minute they open their mouth.

The FBI estimate that approximatly 2% of rape/sexual assult alligations are false but that less than 40% are reported. The main reason that the other 60% give for not going to the police is fear of not being believed.

• Advertisement

Ahh silly me! It's mad what damage a 'fall' can do these days :rolleyes:

Yes a perfect landing on the eye socket with her hands behind her back.

Maybe had she lost an eye there would be more sympathy for her plight?
    The guy could have 50 wives for all anyone cares as long as he treated them all with respect.
    He is now the poster boy for a woman beater . Tough and all that that is for him he might think twice before he uses his fists against a female .
    Maybe this is his Road to Damascus life changing event .
    It took a lot if courage to do what she did and at last this scourge of domestic violence might be addressed comprehensively .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement