Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just realised there's an android update for this phone. But seeing the posts in the last page I'm reluctant to update. Does it stop the sd card from working entirely? Or only for loading apps onto the SD card?

I use a 64gb card for file storage, I don't have any apps installed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

DO NOT install update. Trust me, everybody, including me says it messes up phone. Can't use SD card at all effectively. Sets phone way back. AND VF are useless with assistance or remedy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah definitely don't bother with update. Complete mess.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Phew! Cheers, I'd usually just barrel into these things.

Had the phone a year and a half now and all going well enough. Will probably change for something else coming into the summer. Couldn't fault it, but sounds like they've made an absolute mess of this update!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

What's the update? Mine is running 6.0.1 and apart from the battery not being brilliant, I haven't noticed much difference.
    Dont use my SD card much tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Never got a Noti about an Update? Think there's usually a notification is there not?

Any words/writing on my phone has changed colour to a white shadowy type and looks like it's in bold. How do I get it back to normal black writing? I've looked in Settings but all's I can see in there is Font size. I don't see anywhere to change colour or choose a different Font.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Howayiz,

Have any of you had any issues with using this phone in the US? I've used it in Europe in a good few countries and with different sim cards and it was absolutely grand. Ahm in the US at the moment and every sim card I put in did not work so ahm wondering if it's a US thing or perhaps my phone is now jiggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Howayiz,

Have any of you had any issues with using this phone in the US? I've used it in Europe in a good few countries and with different sim cards and it was absolutely grand. Ahm in the US at the moment and every sim card I put in did not work so ahm wondering if it's a US thing or perhaps my phone is now jiggered.

Depends on the 'carrier'

try http://willmyphonework.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

wtf I didnt realise that, I havent been in the US Since having this phone but it seems its incompatible with all the carriers I randomly selected said it was incompatible. That is really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

valor wrote: »
    wtf I didnt realise that, I havent been in the US Since having this phone but it seems its incompatible with all the carriers I randomly selected said it was incompatible. That is really annoying

I was in Toronto last year and had ther su6 with me.
    Wouldnt work over there.
    Only use was on wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Depends on the 'carrier'

try http://willmyphonework.net

Thank you! That totally answered my question. It really is jiggered in the US but grand in many other places. Don't understand the tech reason why but glad to know my phone doesn't (or well, hopefully shouldn't) need replaced upon getting home.

Anyone know anything about the white writing it's kinda blurry and it's getting annoying now. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Anyone know anything about the white writing it's kinda blurry and it's getting annoying now. :/

Did you try restarting the phone?

I didn't actually! I must try that.

That has helped a lot thanks! But it's still fully not right. Any writing, words on screens or in texts is all back to black now thankfully so that's wonderful, but everything still seems a bit blurry or something I don't know... Kinda like I've wiped the screen and smudged it but the smudge/smudging hasn't dissipated. And I notice, numbers and sequences of numbers in text messages are still the same white shadowy blurry-looking bold-looking like all the writing was before I restarted it. But maybe some numbers written into texts are meant to be white I can't think. Anyone with Voda PAYG 50191 return-texts "Your top up has been successful. Text Bal to 50233 to check your account balance." Is that 50233 in white?

Anyways at least it's mainly all back to black again now! Thanks for your help! Couldn't stand looking at that white blurry shadowy sh1t for long more! I might try turning it off and on a few times it might kind-of re-jig itself or get it all fully back to black again if it's supposed to be.

I still can't help thinking though that there's an awful blurry look on the phone that has only been there for the past few days, I'm trying to think have I done anything different in the last week but I don't think I have.

Actually maybe I need to actually clean the feicing outside of the Phone I might do that too! :o:D:pac:

This stupid white writing is back again. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My screen packed in yesterday. Started flickering a bit at first and after a couple of hours it wouldnt come on at all. Nearly two years old so cant complain. Any recommendations for a decent alternative that can be gotten quickly? ie. not from china :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Similar request please, my battery life is sh*t since software upgrade. Between that and the SD card cock up, VF don't want to assist I guess, just for us to buy new handsets from them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Switched to the Moto G5 a week ago as the microphone had packed in on my Ultra 6 (also after almost 2 years so can't really complain given the price and usage it got). The G5 is nice. It is smaller than the Ultra 6 so that took a bit of getting used to. I have the 2GB ram version from Argos. There is a 3GB version on Amazon but I needed a replacement fast so Argos had to do. I haven't noticed any issues with just 2GB. If screen size is important I saw that there is a G5 plus with a bigger screen but couldn't find any shops that sold it. Battery life is pretty good. Using it all day I still have 20% or more left where on the Ultra 6 I had to charge it by about 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

So people have a phone 2 years and when it starts playing up they say 'oh well I can't complain'? Is that the way it is?
    Phone companies are happy with that I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

So people have a phone 2 years and when it starts playing up they say 'oh well I can't complain'? Is that the way it is?
    Phone companies are happy with that I suppose.

Well if you get conned by the manufacturers and spend 700 or 800 (be it up front or in extra monthly payments) om a flagship phone then you would like to get 5 or 6 years out of it. But spending 180 every 2 years mightn't get you the same high quality but means you can upgrade every couple of years very cost effectively.

Any word on the smart ultra 8?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

What's the best download speed anyone has got on an SU6 over WiFi please?
    Anyone get over 50 Mb? 100 Mb?

I think this Phone is nearing its death. Now the Flashlight won't turn on!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

long_b wrote: »
    What's the best download speed anyone has got on an SU6 over WiFi please?
    Anyone get over 50 Mb? 100 Mb?

I'm getting 27Mb to 35Mb on the phone, compared to 90 Mb on the laptop with speedof.me

I'm getting 27Mb to 35Mb on the phone, compared to 90 Mb on the laptop with speedof.me

Thanks for that. Confirms my suspicions!

Thanks for that. Confirms my suspicions!

Yeah no a c wifi, hasn't bothered me tbh

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

It's not even ac, I've other n devices that get 100 down where the SU6 gets around 40

• Registered Users Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tyson Fury wrote: »

What is a c wifi? Educate me please.

• Advertisement

It's not even ac, I've other n devices that get 100 down where the SU6 gets around 40

But have those other devises got A C?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement