Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options
1167168169170171173»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Nothing wrong with Chinese brands! Your ZTE lasted 3 years and cost half nothing when new. Xiaomi MiA1 is the phone of the moment. My girlfriend has one and it's been fantastic. You should be able to get one under budget at 180~eur

Did she manage to get a decent cover?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Did she manage to get a decent cover?

Yeah i ordered a gel cover on ebay, no problems after 4 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Picked up a VF Smart X9 last night, just released within the last few weeks. Nice little phone for 110 euro (picked up another sim and moved over to avail of the 40 discount) . 3gb ram SD450 processor and 32gb internal. USB C and a decent battery life (took off at 100% at 8pm last night, just now at 77% with all my apps installed and tested and shows 38hrs 4mins remaining in settings) . Very nice to hold in the hand.

Got it to tie me over until I see what the S10 is going to be like but I'm very happy with it so far. Not lagging etc which I am suprised with.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Anyone else still using their Smart Ultra 6? I passed mine onto a friend 18months ago and all was going well with it, but it's recently had a probably with the screen.

At random times the bottom portion of the screen will darken or grey making it hard to see the bottom of the screen or bring up the keyboard to type etc..

Physically, the screen is perfect. No scratches or cracks or damage underneath. When the above starts happening turning the phone off and on again always solves it but it's been happening more frequently

I've never come across this on any other phone before and can't think what might be causing it?

BTW, didn't even know there was a Smart 9 out til the above post.. Didn't know I wanted one until now either :D

Moyglish wrote: »
    BTW, didn't even know there was a Smart 9 out til the above post.. Didn't know I wanted one until now either :D

Sorry I can't be of assistance with the SU6 question. Actually had one when they first came out but didn't hold onto it for long!

Any questions or the X9 I'd be happy to answer. Can't see any thread or info about it in boards. Ordered a glass protector and silicon case for around 7 euro delivered on ebay. Will definitely hold onto this as a secondary device.

• Advertisement

I don't actually need a new phone, but after reading about the 9 in your post, I'm definitely tempted to get one, especially at such a great price!

I always loved the 6, and the 9 seems like a nice upgrade, especially with USB C and NFC.

Think I'll just go for it and pull the trigger on one this evening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Anyone else still using their Smart Ultra 6? I passed mine onto a friend 18months ago and all was going well with it, but it's recently had a probably with the screen.

At random times the bottom portion of the screen will darken or grey making it hard to see the bottom of the screen or bring up the keyboard to type etc..

Physically, the screen is perfect. No scratches or cracks or damage underneath. When the above starts happening turning the phone off and on again always solves it but it's been happening more frequently

I've never come across this on any other phone before and can't think what might be causing it?

My dad's one had a very similar issue
    Was a bad connection between the board and the screen tried a few things which didn't work.
    The screen was perfect
    Ended up replacing the board from a friend's "phone graveyard."
    Perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

Bravobabe wrote: »
    After nearly 3 x years the daughters Ultra 6 is in it wind-down phase. It has been dropped so many times - i can't believe that the screen is still functional (so many cracks). Now its not holding a charge. Anybody recommend a good replacement?
    Great Camera (seems to be a priority)
    Budget < €300
    Prefer to get a mainstream brand.

I got my daughter the xiaomi redmi note 5 on three for €140 just after Christmas,huge battery lasts all day long, great phone altogether. There's also the xiaomi pocophone f1 on amazon for about €320 and that's an amazing phone for the price.

deckie27 wrote: »
    My dad's one had a very similar issue
    Was a bad connection between the board and the screen tried a few things which didn't work.
    The screen was perfect
    Ended up replacing the board from a friend's "phone graveyard."
    Perfect since.

Interesting! Thanks for that! Aside from that, it really is the phone that just keeps on giving! I had it for about 18 months after launch, and my friend has gotten another 18 months out of it since. Such a fantastic phone for the price!

I'll pass on the above to my friend, though I think he's hell bent on treating himself to a new phone anyhow, so I doubt he'll bother trying to fix it, though there's lots of life left in it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I don't actually need a new phone, but after reading about the 9 in your post, I'm definitely tempted to get one, especially at such a great price!

I always loved the 6, and the 9 seems like a nice upgrade, especially with USB C and NFC.

Think I'll just go for it and pull the trigger on one this evening! :D

The smart ultra 6 has NFC. Just started using google pay last week and it worked after a few tries at tescos (it was my firs try)

Surprised to see the thread is still going. My screen in the last few months has developed weird patterns around the edge probably from because of being in my back pocket a couple of times in the garden and the battery at times doesn't last the full day and I am not a heavy user.

So will be looking for a replacement in the next few months if the battery further deteriorates. Great buy that is coming up to 4 years and I was coming from a iPhone 6 at the time and an apple only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Mine won't boot past the Android logo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

long_b wrote: »
    Mine won't boot past the Android logo :(
    Vodafone will be of no help. They didn't even answer my posts.
    I would suggest dropping them like a hot stone and get a Mi A1.

rizzee wrote: »
    Picked up a VF Smart X9 last night, just released within the last few weeks. Nice little phone for 110 euro (picked up another sim and moved over to avail of the 40 discount) . 3gb ram SD450 processor and 32gb internal. USB C and a decent battery life (took off at 100% at 8pm last night, just now at 77% with all my apps installed and tested and shows 38hrs 4mins remaining in settings) . Very nice to hold in the hand.

Got it to tie me over until I see what the S10 is going to be like but I'm very happy with it so far. Not lagging etc which I am suprised with.

Just a heads up Vodafone are now offering 60 euro off (!) when moving to their network for the X9 ! I've had it 2 and a half weeks now. It's a seriously impressive phone for the money, even more so if you can get it for 90 (I paid 110 with 40 off at the time)

Highly recommended

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-x9-pay-as-you-go-black

On the above note; I will be selling my X9 if anyone is interested? Galaxy S10 preorder is calling this week!! Not a mark on it, case and glass protector on. 75 euro. Receipt in the box with earphones and charger (earphones unused). Can meet up PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Does the USB C port on it have quick charging?

Where are you based, Rizzee?

Morby wrote: »
    Does the USB C port on it have quick charging?

Where are you based, Rizzee?

No, just standard charging. I'm near Dunshaughlin but work in Citywest. Can meet around these areas or post. 150+ feedback on Adverts. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Folks

I dug out my Smart Ultra 6 today to see if it was usable as a backup phone. It hasn't been used or powered on for about 18 months, around the same time as this thread was last in action.

When I power it on, I get a message in tiny font at the top of the screen reading;
    Security error: This phone has been flashed with unauthorised software and has been locked. Call your mobile operator for additional support.

The phone was unlocked with an unlocked code bought on ebay at the time of purchase, and worked fine for a couple of years. I certainly didn't intentionally update any software on it.

Is there anything I can do to get this working again please? All ideas welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Folks

I dug out my Smart Ultra 6 today to see if it was usable as a backup phone. It hasn't been used or powered on for about 18 months, around the same time as this thread was last in action.

When I power it on, I get a message in tiny font at the top of the screen reading;

The phone was unlocked with an unlocked code bought on ebay at the time of purchase, and worked fine for a couple of years. I certainly didn't intentionally update any software on it.

Is there anything I can do to get this working again please? All ideas welcome.

Same thing.
    No solution, but others have reported same issue with no joy

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057907684/1/#post110306428

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Same thing.

I could be wrong but I think someone else years back had the same problem and was able to reflash the software to get it back working.

Same thing.

Thanks for this - not sure whether it is good news or bad news to know that I'm not on my own!

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think someone else years back had the same problem and was able to reflash the software to get it back working.

Thanks , I found this Guide, but I'm not sure how I could do it without being able to get into the phone itself to start off. All ideas welcome.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this - not sure whether it is good news or bad news to know that I'm not on my own!

Thanks , I found this Guide, but I'm not sure how I could do it without being able to get into the phone itself to start off. All ideas welcome.

I haven't messed with Android properly in a couple of years, but usually you can do stuff when booted into recovery.

I think with the SU6, you hold the power button and volume up when turning it on to get to recovery mode.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I haven't messed with Android properly in a couple of years, but usually you can do stuff when booted into recovery.

I think with the SU6, you hold the power button and volume up when turning it on to get to recovery mode.
    Thanks, that's a great start, I managed to get myself into the recovery menu, so I guess I need some OS version to download onto the SD card, and tell it to load that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks, that's a great start, I managed to get myself into the recovery menu, so I guess I need some OS version to download onto the SD card, and tell it to load that?

Modacco.com is where I used to get my custom roms/recoveries.

https://www.modaco.com/forums/forum/796-vodafone-smart-ultra-6/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

anyone unlock the newer version vodafone N9?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

woodyg wrote: »
    anyone unlock the newer version vodafone N9?

Got one of these phones from work and popped in a 3 sim and it's unlocked from the box.

Advertisement