Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

Had the phone for a year. Suddenly became un-useable due to back button phantom presses..i.e. As soon as I start interacting with the phone, it's as if the back button gets repeatedly pushed. Very annoying.

Others have had similar issue in past but nothing on how they ultimately resolved (other than, "go into store")
    https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Vodafone-Devices/Vodafone-Smart-Ultra-6-back-button-stuck/td-p/195619

Anybody else have this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Had the phone for a year. Suddenly became un-useable due to back button phantom presses..i.e. As soon as I start interacting with the phone, it's as if the back button gets repeatedly pushed. Very annoying.

A mate of mine had this exact problem. Turned out the screen protector he put on had cracked & caused the Home key to be pressed randomly.
    He solved the problem by replacing the screen protector.
    Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

A mate of mine had this exact problem. Turned out the screen protector he put on had cracked & caused the Home key to be pressed randomly.
    He solved the problem by replacing the screen protector.
    Hope that helps...

Thanks for the reply but I don't use a screen protector..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

I have the same problem (phantom back button), as well as the screen being unresponsive around the edges. Can't type letters Q or P or numbers 1 and 0. I love this phone but it seems its usable life is about 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

banjolin wrote: »
    I have the same problem (phantom back button), as well as the screen being unresponsive around the edges. Can't type letters Q or P or numbers 1 and 0. I love this phone but it seems its usable life is about 14 months.

That's what warranty is there for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I haven't read through this thread, but do you guys have any issues with Contact Groups (lack of)?

I have the new Smart Prime 7 and the biggest issue for me is the lack of contact groups, and the fact that you can't add a new contact group! All I have is 'all contacts or favourites' ... and that's it :(

Does the Smart Ultra 6 suffer with this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Lads/lassies...Any idea the cost of replacing a cracked screen on one of these phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Ibsaw someone on another thread quoting 85 from a place in the ilac centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Ibsaw someone on another thread quoting 85 from a place in the ilac centre

id just get a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭phester28

they appear to cheap on ebay. worth a shot to do it yourself before throwing it in the bin (if you are at all handy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

phester28 wrote: »
    they appear to cheap on ebay. worth a shot to do it yourself before throwing it in the bin (if you are at all handy)

Well the phone still works...just the screen is cracked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Im not sure where else to ask this but something odd has been happening the past two months and Im not sure if its the phone or the vodafone network.
    So Im on PAYG and topped up by a fiver last month to avail of the 500mb of data add on/offer. Basically just text 5data to a number and they take the fiver credit and I get the data. HOWEVER, I seem to have unlimited data as I used well over 2gb in the month. I also seemingly had unlimited calls and texts.

I topped up by a fiver a few days ago and the same thing is happening. Anyone else getting this at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I managed to lose the plug piece of the white charging cable today. I still have the USB piece, but I don't want to be tied to the laptop. The white cable was much faster to charge the device than a standard Samsung cable. I'm wondering if I plug the remaining white USB cable into a standard USB plug piece, will I still get my fast charging? If not, where would I get a cable to do the fast charging, and what spec would I be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

I managed to lose the plug piece of the white charging cable today. I still have the USB piece, but I don't want to be tied to the laptop. The white cable was much faster to charge the device than a standard Samsung cable. I'm wondering if I plug the remaining white USB cable into a standard USB plug piece, will I still get my fast charging? If not, where would I get a cable to do the fast charging, and what spec would I be looking for?

The orginal SU6 charger is 1500mA, so I guess look for something with that rating at least.

Pretty sure it's moreso the plug and not the cable that matters for fast charging, open to correction on this though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone having GPS issues while playing Pokémon Go? It's intermittent and very annoying

"GPS Signal not found "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The microphone in mine has got really muffled - or at least it has for ordinary calls. Any ideas what to do? I tried poking around it with a pin to clean it. Hope I didn't make it worse.

Mine seems to have developed this issue. Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I had to do a factory reset on mine a few weeks back, it sorted all the issues I was having with everything, microphone great, google working again and touch screen responding better, got rid of a pile of apps that I wasn't using too and its running like a new phone again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

kerryked wrote: »
    The orginal SU6 charger is 1500mA, so I guess look for something with that rating at least.

Pretty sure it's moreso the plug and not the cable that matters for fast charging, open to correction on this though

The phone uses quickcharge 2.0 technology so you need a compatible charger to charge at the fast rate. Search on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm experiencing problems with the headphone jack.Like it's not connecting properly. Only hearing sound in one ear unless I jiggle it about. Definitely not the headphones.
    It's still in warranty. I suppose I should just bring it back. Any idea how long Vodafone take to repair or replace? Do they still try and squirm their way out of replacing if necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'm experiencing problems with the headphone jack.Like it's not connecting properly. Only hearing sound in one ear unless I jiggle it about. Definitely not the headphones.
    It's still in warranty. I suppose I should just bring it back. Any idea how long Vodafone take to repair or replace? Do they still try and squirm their way out of replacing if necessary?

Turn it off and stick a pin in it to check for fluff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm experiencing problems with the headphone jack.Like it's not connecting properly. Only hearing sound in one ear unless I jiggle it about. Definitely not the headphones. It's still in warranty. I suppose I should just bring it back. Any idea how long Vodafone take to repair or replace? Do they still try and squirm their way out of replacing if necessary?

I've been having this problem for months. Someone earlier in the thread had access to some kind of a suction device that got out whatever had gotten in but I haven't been able to find a similar remedy. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

FrostyJim wrote: »

Turn it off and stick a pin in it to check for fluff.
    VW 1 wrote: »
    I'm experiencing problems with the headphone jack.Like it's not connecting properly. Only hearing sound in one ear unless I jiggle it about. Definitely not the headphones. It's still in warranty. I suppose I should just bring it back. Any idea how long Vodafone take to repair or replace? Do they still try and squirm their way out of replacing if necessary?

I've been having this problem for months. Someone earlier in the thread had access to some kind of a suction device that got out whatever had gotten in but I haven't been able to find a similar remedy. Very annoying.
    I've tried using compressed air etc. all to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

sweetie wrote: »
    Mine seems to have developed this issue. Any help appreciated!

Afraid not!

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The phone uses quickcharge 2.0 technology so you need a compatible charger to charge at the fast rate. Search on Amazon.

You sure about that? I've always had multiple QC2.0 chargers, and they only do standard charge on the SU6. Even though the chip is compatible with quick charge, it's not enabled, AFAIK.

Edit: seems it only has QC1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

My Smart Ultra 6 was a great phone and mostly problem free until about 6 weeks ago when then the touch screen went around the edge making it very difficult to use properly but I struggled on with it and then 2 weeks ago the dam thing almost exploded, it was on my bedside locker doing nothing when it started to get very hot, I could smell it so I picked it up and it was really really hot and expanding, so hot that I burnt by thumb whilst carrying it so I had to throw it out the bedroom window as I thought it would go on fire, It was the battery and it pretty much melted the phone so I had to get a new phone, I bought a Moto G Plus, the 4th Generation and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

My Smart Ultra 6 was a great phone and mostly problem free until about 6 weeks ago when then the touch screen went around the edge making it very difficult to use properly but I struggled on with it and then 2 weeks ago the dam thing almost exploded, it was on my bedside locker doing nothing when it started to get very hot, I could smell it so I picked it up and it was really really hot and expanding, so hot that I burnt by thumb whilst carrying it so I had to throw it out the bedroom window as I thought it would go on fire, It was the battery and it pretty much melted the phone so I had to get a new phone, I bought a Moto G Plus, the 4th Generation and so far so good.

Did you have it charging at the time? Were you using the original charger or a replacement one?

Not just a problem with these phones, Samsung had to recall brand new phones last week due to this issue.

kerryked wrote: »
    Did you have it charging at the time? Were you using the original charger or a replacement one?

Not just a problem with these phones, Samsung had to recall brand new phones last week due to this issue.
    No it wasn't charging at the time it was just sitting there,
    I was nearly asleep so I don't know what would have happened if it was left, the phone was melted really bad.
    I have used a few different chargers in different places so I can't say I only use the original all the time but I doubt it would have made any difference.
    But say it was left on a sofa or in a handbag or something it could have caused a lot of damage.
    My fingers were burnt white where I picked it up so there must have been some amount of heat generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'm really liking the new Moto G sor far,
    I had the 2nd gen Moto G before the Smart Ultra 6 and TBH I think this is a better phone altogether than the SU6, it just seems better all round and does everything I need it to do effortlessly, Feels better quality,
    I got the Moto G Plus Amazon exclusive, 5.5" and with a better camera than the Moto G standard 5" version.
    It was £199 and that was €253 with the speedy delivery (£6.80) as I was without a phone, then other family members were very impressed with it so we now have 3 Moto G Plus and 1 Moto G Play bought in the last week. The Play was £124.
    Everyone is very happy with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Just wondering how I'd go about returning the phone for repair as I bought it through Amazon UK. Amazon say contact Vodafone directly but would Vodafone IE take it?

Advertisement