Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wonder who manufactures the Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 ? - wonder if its ZTE or someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Trond wrote: »
    Presume this is the one?

http://www.gsmarena.com/vodafone_smart_platinum_7-8154.php

Battery is my only concern given the screen on the above....

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-platinum-7-pay-as-you-go-black

€399.99

discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057602860

Made by Alcatel apparently so be difficult to get unlocked

neacy69 wrote: »

wah! - a 400 quid phone made by alacatel! - I have had a few Alcatel phones in the past , all pure rubbish!

wah! - a 400 quid phone made by alacatel! - I have had a few Alcatel phones in the past , all pure rubbish!

Obviously not rubbish enough to stop you going back there :pac:

Basil3 wrote: »
    Obviously not rubbish enough to stop you going back there :pac:

true - i was most probably like 'oh well they might have been rubbish , but maybe they have upped their game'

I must say i used to say Huawei handsets were rubbish ... but im pretty impressed with the Huawei GX8 I have at present , good quality/build and good camera and battery life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Any reason why I can't get my work email on the SU6? Its MS exchange. Works for others on their various android phone.

It goes to validating server details but error message is simply "can't connect to server". Same settings as colleagues.

I haven't tried my account on another phone yet but assuming its my phone causing g the issue, not my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Ranjo wrote: »
    Any reason why I can't get my work email on the SU6? Its MS exchange. Works for others on their various android phone.

It goes to validating server details but error message is simply "can't connect to server". Same settings as colleagues.

I haven't tried my account on another phone yet but assuming its my phone causing g the issue, not my account.
    Try setting up the exchange account through Gmail, worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

wonder who manufactures the Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 ? - wonder if its ZTE or someone else?
    neacy69 wrote: »

Its the Smart Ultra 7 that I said was made by Alcatel. Found it in the manual. I can't be arsed looking up the manual for the Platinum, since there's no chance Id buy it at that price over the OP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Its the Smart Ultra 7 that I said was made by Alcatel. Found it in the manual. I can't be arsed looking up the manual for the Platinum, since there's no chance Id buy it at that price over the OP3.

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I had read who the maufacturer was somewhere but I wasnt sure where...Edit found the link:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/14/vodafone-smart-platinum-7/
    Vodafone's certainly not messing about, with what's effectively a reskinned Alcatel Idol 4S. For starters, we're looking at 5.5-inch, Wide Quad HD AMOLED display (2,560 x 1,440) wrapped in an attractive blend of "aircraft-grade" aluminium and glass

• Advertisement

I think I was answering back neacy69 who said the platinum was 399eur and made by Alcatel. Anyway back to what I said, I wonder which manufacturer makes the platinum phone

I think I was answering back neacy69 who said the platinum was 399eur and made by Alcatel. Anyway back to what I said, I wonder which manufacturer makes the platinum phone

Did you read the post above yours? It's a rebadged Alcatel Idol 4S.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Did you read the post above yours? It's a rebadged Alcatel Idol 4S.

ah yes. - so it is a Alcatel at 400 quid then. - geting so confused, i thought someone said the smart ultra 7 was an Alcatel and that the prime was made by some other manufacturer - i need a lie down :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Anybody else here with the Ultra 6 having issues with the screen?

I love the phone, its great but over the last few weeks, marks started appearing on the outside of the screen, well the marks are under the screen around the edges and getting worse and there is no touch now where the marks are, which makes the phone hard to use.

Linked are some pics:
    http://i.imgur.com/HRVT2ZI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/p2Rja4O.jpg

I saw someone else with the exact same issue on the VF forums, but they kept crashing when I tried to post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

I have a very fine speckled line 2 or 3 mm wide around the outside which appeared about 10 days ago. I thought it might be fine dust getting in somehow. The inside of my truck was also covered in it about the same time. Looked like pollen. Yours is very much worse. Can't be sure it is the same thing.

banjolin wrote: »
    I have a very fine speckled line 2 or 3 mm wide around the outside which appeared about 10 days ago. I thought it might be fine dust getting in somehow. The inside of my truck was also covered in it about the same time. Looked like pollen. Yours is very much worse. Can't be sure it is the same thing.

Mine started with what looked like dust too, it gradually got worse and the touch has stopped working on the sides.

I will go back to the store today, even though I bought it off the vodafone site, definitely looks like a fault to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Moribund

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I love the phone, its great but over the last few weeks, marks started appearing on the outside of the screen, well the marks are under the screen around the edges and getting worse and there is no touch now where the marks are, which makes the phone hard to use.

Linked are some pics:

I saw someone else with the exact same issue on the VF forums, but they kept crashing when I tried to post there.
    I think that was me on the VF Forum - I was having a similar problem. It looked like the screen was coming away from digitizer on top right an then right hand side of screen became unresponsive to text. I bought it online from Vodafone and brought into local shop. They have sent it off now about a week. Got a text saying they are awaiting parts to repair device and this can take 7-10 working days. Using a replacement phone at the moment.

I know this phone is/was great value for money, but I wonder how many repairs/replacements Vodafone are having to deal with, bearing in mind users still have a minimum of another year under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Looks like the phone wasn't such a bargain after all. A lot of boardsies having trouble with the phone build quality.

Moribund wrote: »
    I think that was me on the VF Forum - I was having a similar problem. It looked like the screen was coming away from digitizer on top right an then right hand side of screen became unresponsive to text. I bought it online from Vodafone and brought into local shop. They have sent it off now about a week. Got a text saying they are awaiting parts to repair device and this can take 7-10 working days. Using a replacement phone at the moment.

Have to find myself a replacement handset now as they had none in store, so will be sending it for repairs tomorrow or thursday.

It does appear to be poor build quality, the lad in the store tried to say it was moisture damage, I told him it wasn't and said it was a common issue with them, said I seen a few people online with the issue. All 3 of us. ;)

• Advertisement

when I had my SU6 I was pretty impressed at its build quality, i thought it was grand. better than some other phones i had it the past (some well known brands) that look like they would break if you just looked at them the wrong way. i thought the SU6 looked quite sturdy. Mind you I never dropped it and always had it in a case

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Looks like the phone wasn't such a bargain after all. A lot of boardsies having trouble with the phone build quality.

Maybe I've been lucky (touch wood!), but I've had my SU6 since last Sep/Oct without a hitch. I've had a screen protector & hard case on since Day 1 so maybe that has helped.

Hopefully it'll last me til I've enough Cherry Points to replace it for free :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Linked are some pics:

Had the exact same issue. Took it to the local store and they said they would send it off to be repaired. Couple of weeks later I was told it was ready and when I collected it they had replaced it with a new phone.

Will see how this one holds up and assuming as it is a new phone I will be back to the two year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Not sure if that's how the guarantee works. Unless you have some paper work to say that you were given a brand new phone on that date then I would imagine you are still working off the original 2 year warranty from when you bought the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

d31b0y wrote: »
    Not sure if that's how the guarantee works. Unless you have some paper work to say that you were given a brand new phone on that date then I would imagine you are still working off the original 2 year warranty from when you bought the phone.

Not sure either although I have held on to the paperwork just in case.

I would imagine that as it is a new phone that the guarantee is with the phone and not the original that was replaced.

Hopefully I will never need to find out :rolleyes:

THE ALM wrote: »
    ...I would imagine that as it is a new phone that the guarantee is with the phone and not the original that was replaced....

Logically you would thinks so - but IRL .....

Logically you would thinks so - but IRL .....

If mine is replaced, I will ask what the situation is.

I dropped it in for repairs at lunch time, it will take 1 - 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

HI

I did scroll through and try do some searches so sorry if this was asked before

got an Ultra 6 - finally got a 3 sim to work ( faulty sim apparently)

anyways its not seeing my bluetooth headphones or speak
    it doesn't seem to scan for devices
    it finds 1 automatically A4:77:33:A9:FD:B3 which my old phone is not finding

I bought the phone and headphone for a trip coming up so any help would be great (old phone sees headphones and they work fine with it )

thanks a lot

HI

I did scroll through and try do some searches so sorry if this was asked before

got an Ultra 6 - finally got a 3 sim to work ( faulty sim apparently)

anyways its not seeing my bluetooth headphones or speak
    it doesn't seem to scan for devices
    it finds 1 automatically A4:77:33:A9:FD:B3 which my old phone is not finding

I bought the phone and headphone for a trip coming up so any help would be great (old phone sees headphones and they work fine with it )

thanks a lot

I believe some people that had bluetooth issues found that it was fixed after updating the phone to latest software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

Hi
    I've been reading this thread for long time thinking "I must be lucky, no problems with this phone at all." Well a couple of days ago I noticed this yellow spot on the screen, looks like a burn defect, it's 3cm long and 2mm wide, it's along the left side of the screen. Anyone had this? When the phone heats up it is more visible

cdn-images.xda-developers.com/direct/3/4/4/5/5/7/0/1440077146504.jpg

Advertisement