Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Is anyone else getting this notification today:

System Updates:
    Auto-update:click to update

I don't recall similar notification with previous system updates, so I'm wondering if it is kosher? I haven't installed any funny apps recently, and I'm not rooted - so I'm not sure what else it might be.

Dont do it. Try update it manually? Then you'll know if theres a update available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'd be reluctant to buy a phone which has a similar spec to the one I had before. Its a very small upgrade over the ultra 6, the extra 1gb ram is nice but then I never had an issue with 2gbs.
    The gx8 is a really nice looking phone though.

Well 1 other plus over the SU6 is that it has a MM (beta tho) stock firmware available to download and easily put it on root of internal memory to install it, no need to even root the phone. But me personally I didnt like MM and a couple of my older apps didnt work on MM ... so ive personally gone back to lollipop now but MM run grand on it especially with the 3GB ram and 32GB Memory.

Its not a small upgrade when you take into account the better quality camera with stabilizer(although SU 6 camera was not too bad either) and Dual LED flash at the back and much better (fluid) speed than the SU6 when scrolling the apps etc - I like in the GX8 where you can choose what to run and not to run when you turn the screen off, helps save even more battery power.

Although not the thinnest phone out there the GX8 feels better to hold and less bulkier feeling than the SU6 , although its a tiny bit heavier (I think its got a all metal back/frame where the SU6 is plastic i think.

And the other plus what people might like is the fingerprint sensor to unlock phone.

So you might say 'its a small upgrade' but when you take all that into account its a pretty significant 'upgrade' over the SU6

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

finding the camera on this abysmal - anyone have any recommendations for a better handset ? (For better pics)

Rockin wrote: »
    finding the camera on this abysmal - anyone have any recommendations for a better handset ? (For better pics)

How is it "abysmal"?

Post a pic you took on it? Id like to see a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

How is it "abysmal"?

Post a pic you took on it? Id like to see a bad one

Indoor pics are washed out with very poor colour replication.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Dont do it. Try update it manually? Then you'll know if theres a update available?

How do I do that?

Rockin wrote: »
    Indoor pics are washed out with very poor colour replication.

are you using the flash for Indoor pics? - I found indoor pics on the SU6 were washed out when flash was on , so I used to (if I could get away with it and it wasnt too dark inside) take photos with the flash off and set ISO to 200 (so to stop low light noise/grain on the photo) and then bump up exposure/brightness in PIXLR (or any other photo editor from play store) and they werent to bad.

My new phone (Huawei GX8 €29.99 from Tesco Mobile) has a dual flash on it which is supposed to give better colour results, but i havent tried any indoor pics with flash at the moment so I cant say how they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

How do I do that?

Go to settings,about phone, system updates, check for updates.

If so one appears here it's genuine.

How do I do that?

Settings>About Phone>Software updates

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Go to settings,about phone, system updates, check for updates.

If so one appears here it's genuine.
    Settings>About Phone>Software updates

Thanks gents - found it there and installed it - seems to be fine now.

• Advertisement

Thanks gents - found it there and installed it - seems to be fine now.

Did it mention what changes were included at all?

FrostyJim wrote: »

No, but I've noticed something funny when opening links from Twitter or FB since I did the update. It seems to open the link but switches immediately back to the original app, instead of leaving the linked page open for me to read.

Is anyone else seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

FrostyJim wrote:

AFAIK that's the update from a few months ago, I've had it installed on mine since it was released, at the time I think it said it improved Bluetooth connection.

DanC90 wrote: »
    AFAIK that's the update from a few months ago, I've had it installed on mine since it was released, at the time I think it said it improved Bluetooth connection.

Nothing life changing so. I'm using Mokee ROM the last week or so and finding it very good. Few things still left to fix in it like NFC and tap to wake but everything else is very solid.

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/377293-port-rom-unofficial-mokee-511-v2/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

I'm trying to transfer music to the phone from my PC. The phone shows up in "my computer" using vista but i can't transfer any files. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm trying to transfer music to the phone from my PC. The phone shows up in "my computer" using vista but i can't transfer any files. Any ideas?

Did you unlock your phone with your pin in the usual way once you'd plugged it in to your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

My my calls audio (receiver) started acting up and had get new phone.
    Got the HTC desire 530, sweet god I miss my ultra smart. Going back now.

PS Vodafone are releasing new release ultra smart phone in coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Plantronics M70 Bluetooth headset arrived today, it'll allow me to answer calls & listen to music but it doesn't activate Google Now despite both Vodafone & Plantronics telling me it would work with the SU6, it also doesn't read text messages.

Can anyone with a Bluetooth headset confirm that these features work on the SU6 ?

I went into a Vodafone store yesterday as suggested after already having had no success getting help from Vodafone Technical using either the online chat or the phone. They tested a new Plantronics M70 & that didn't work either so I don't think it's a problem with the headset, I also tested it & voice commands work on it with a Samsung S6.

Has anyone got Google Now to activate voice commands via a Bluetooth headset on the SU6 ? Both Vodafone & Plantronics stated it should work

Galway K9 wrote: »
    My my calls audio (receiver) started acting up and had get new phone.
    Got the HTC desire 530, sweet god I miss my ultra smart. Going back now.

blimey its no wonder the specs on the HTC desire dont even begin to touch the specs of the SU6

Galway K9 wrote: »
    ....PS Vodafone are releasing new release ultra smart phone in coming weeks.

blimey I better pull me finger out and sell my SU6 now then if thats the case. I have a Huawei GX8 on billpay now with tesco mobile and its pointless keeping both phones

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Did you unlock your phone with your pin in the usual way once you'd plugged it in to your PC?

yes

Download Android File Transfer on your PC

or

Use a MicroSd card

i rebooted phone and pc and transferrage is now working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My ultra 6 gave up tonight, exactly one year since I bought it, had a screen replacement a month after I bought it and tonight the screen balls up again, same issue as last time aswell. The screen separated from the digitizer and you can see all white marks around the edge of the screen where it was once glued. You can see it with the screen off so it's a physical thing under the glass. Touch screen barely works so I factory resetted it in recovery and opened the wheely bin. Not worth fixing it unfortunately. Good phone while it lasted.

My ultra 6 gave up tonight, exactly one year since I bought it, had a screen replacement a month after I bought it and tonight the screen balls up again, same issue as last time aswell. The screen separated from the digitizer and you can see all white marks around the edge of the screen where it was once glued. You can see it with the screen off so it's a physical thing under the glass. Touch screen barely works so I factory resetted it in recovery and opened the wheely bin. Not worth fixing it unfortunately. Good phone while it lasted.
    Still within warranty so you may as well drop it in for repair when you can. Always handy to have a spare.

...... so I factory resetted it in recovery and opened the wheely bin......

Good , that will take over 100 years to degrade and leave poisonous chemicals leaching out into the landfill site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

This exact issue happened to my fathers Ultra 6! Dropped it into Vodafone and they sent it off. They replaced the handset for a new one within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

My phone is gone away for repair for past week and a half.
    Screen was flashing on and off the whole time
    Not through a main Vodafone shop but local shop who does the repairs for Vodafone?

crasy dash wrote: »
    My phone is gone away for repair for past week and a half.
    Screen was flashing on and off the whole time
    Not through a main Vodafone shop but local shop who does the repairs for Vodafone?

Fonua in sandyford is where it'll end up anyway I imagine so it'll get fixed the same as if you sent it in via an official Vodafone shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I can't play YouTube vids through the app and MX player now only works in sw mode, not really sure what's going on.
    I have done everything apart from a factory reset so I'll backup everything and give that a go.
    Have the phone 1 year this month and it's been pretty faultless tbh. It's been dropped on numerous occasions and seen its fair share of rain, but still looked brand new when I took the case and screen protector off.
    I'll see how much the su6 is making 2nd hand but I'll probably just factory reset and keep it as a spare.

Advertisement