Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Mooooo wrote: »
    You sure he didn't measure? Fair enough it could have been plain as day being a reactor but measurements should be recorded. Dept came and checked cows here after a test one year, nothing untoward just that we seemed to be having one in each test for a few in a row. Twas a pure pia as having one go down in one test and then another in the next or second one after stretched the whole thing out. I would say most vets are precise enough in measuring.

I didnt see him measure it but then again i was so shocked that he could have and i just missed it.
    He tagged her with some sort of other tag. I think he was writing stuff down in a notebook too but again i cant even remember straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

RD10 wrote: »
    Thats great thanks who. Its doing my head in. Have so many questions for the vet and of course its a sunday.
    Vet that checked them yesterday said to leave calf with the cow which i cant understand for the life of me, surely her calf is extremely high risk? Have cow and calf in a small paddock down the road from the house, thinking of letting calf down with rest of cattle. he'll still be able to come up to beside the mother, she'll be the other side of fence and drain obviously. I'm half afraid of letting calf back in with the rest in case he too is infected(even though nothing showed up.....yet) but have no choice. Wouldnt stay on its own and wont have the space in the winter to keep it on its own away from others.
    Taught that alright about drinking sources, i'll do that straight away.
    Typical im probably bit overstocked this year and was planning on shipping off few cows and the weanlings. I'll just about half the space for them. Likewise feed.
    Supposed to be going away on business next week too. All very messy.
    But thank you for the advice. Its good to get information somewhere.
    Have u been locked up long yourself?
    Also thanks to everyone else for your replys, nice to be able to get it off your chest in some way shape or form.

I'm coming late to this but in case no one else said it those cows can still go. Plenty of factory buyers and finishers have "feedlot" herd numbers and your locked up cow is no different to them than a one from a non restricted herd. The only place an animal can go from a feedlot is directly to a factory. I don't know about how you'd do with the weanlings in that scenario. You might be able to get a couple of names from the ao or the marts would definitely know the boys with these numbers.

Water John wrote: »
    No doubt wildlife is a key intermediary. Most infections occur during grazing season. AFAIR they housed stock and tried to get bovine cross infection spread, but it didn't happen.

There's an extremely effective crew working for the dept managing badgers in the vicinity of breakdowns. They have stopped the problem in a couple of areas. They snare and test a sample. If nothing there and they see no sign of diseased animals they move on. There motto is better the devil you know. If the locals are clear leave them be as you have no idea what the crowd that move in will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Free, your right. Not to upset a clean sett. There are supposed not to allow in a sick badger.

nealger wrote: »
    Had a reactor on Saturday. Its the first time went down in i'd say 30yrs. Changed from Dairy to suckler in the early 90's. A dry cow that i was planning on selling when housing. Couldnt get her to keep in calf. Disgusted. Have weanling bulls ready to go in the next few weeks. Now have to squeeze them as i have no seperate housing for them as bulls over the winter. I will be okay for fodder but housing is going to be tight as my cull cows will have to stay and my replacement heifers are inseminated.
    Have a closed herd for years. I dont buy in anything so i'm a bit dissapointed this has happened.
    Neighbour had 6 gone down a few weeks ago. so i got the letter and DVO Vet was out to do the test, he measured her a few times as it must have been borderline..... Another neighbour went down with 8 on saturday in two different plots 4 in each..
    Had a dept test this time last year and went ok and then my annual in March and that went ok.
    Now this one.....!
    Plenty of woodland and bog around where i am.... Havn't seen badgers around but plenty of deer!!!
    Had her with 6 other late calvers on rushy ground near woodland where plenty of cover was available for the Deer/wildlife for most of the summer... Dont want to isolate her as she is a nervous type. and wont be easy to get in on her own....
    i just wonder about the whole thing ........conspiracy theories and all that!!:mad:

You need to knock anything that's not looking right. There's a serious problem in your area. We've had two bad breakdowns in my time at home. In one we had 35% reactors in the cows and the ao said to the oulboy that hed knock anything my father wasn't happy with. There were a few amongst the reactors with no lesions but everyone my father knocked, another 5/6 cows were riven with lesions. The second time wasn't too bad around eight cows and we knocked another 3 who again all had lesions. Greysides can give ye the science but if an animal is badly enough infected or at a certain point in the disease they may not react to the skin test. I'd be writing or emailing the ao to tell them that as far as I was concerned this breakdown was wholly the department's fault and that you were not going to bear any costs for their failings. They have reduced the inspection/testing levels to a joke level at this point. The only certainty is that tb is on it's way back and no one is watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You need to knock anything that's not looking right. There's a serious problem in your area. We've had two bad breakdowns in my time at home. In one we had 35% reactors in the cows and the ao said to the oulboy that hed knock anything my father wasn't happy with. There were a few amongst the reactors with no lesions but everyone my father knocked, another 5/6 cows were riven with lesions. The second time wasn't too bad around eight cows and we knocked another 3 who again all had lesions. Greysides can give ye the science but if an animal is badly enough infected or at a certain point in the disease they may not react to the skin test. I'd be writing or emailing the ao to tell them that as far as I was concerned this breakdown was wholly the department's fault and that you were not going to bear any costs for their failings. They have reduced the inspection/testing levels to a joke level at this point. The only certainty is that tb is on it's way back and no one is watching.
    Different counties seems to differ greatly, vet here is in fear of a dept inspection. Every animal clipped with clippers etc. At the end of the day we a are paying big time and the least we should be getting is a proper test. Years ago a local farmer was down to be read on a certain day, dept guy arrived and vet was long gone, farmer said, ah the vet was only here a few minutes and never had to measure 1 :eek:

I'm coming late to this but in case no one else said it those cows can still go. Plenty of factory buyers and finishers have "feedlot" herd numbers and your locked up cow is no different to them than a one from a non restricted herd. The only place an animal can go from a feedlot is directly to a factory. I don't know about how you'd do with the weanlings in that scenario. You might be able to get a couple of names from the ao or the marts would definitely know the boys with these numbers.

Never taught of that. I intended to scan in a couple of weeks and probably send the cows off to mart. Thats not going to happen so will scan anyway and go from there.

TB certainly seems to be back on the rise again.
    A few neighbours around the area. Not directly next to me, but within a two/three mile radius have had a fair few reactors in the laat year or two.
    hadnt heard anything for years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Different counties seems to differ greatly, vet here is in fear of a dept inspection. Every animal clipped with clippers etc. At the end of the day we a are paying big time and the least we should be getting is a proper test. Years ago a local farmer was down to be read on a certain day, dept guy arrived and vet was long gone, farmer said, ah the vet was only here a few minutes and never had to measure 1 :eek:
    If there was no lump he didn't have to measure did he

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If there was no lump he didn't have to measure did he

For reading to be done properly you would assume some animals would be measured. There is normally a few top lumps. Also around herw vet must let department know what time they are testing and reading at. So if they want to check up they can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't know freedom, I'd only use this as a last resort, those guys are like sharks after blood, it's an option ok, but there are better options, like get them valued and slaughtered, at least you'll get a salvage cheque from the factory when you slaughter, and a top up to the value agreed from the dept.

Ok the dept. might not be the fastest to pay up, but you will be fairly treated. Those sharks could keep you waiting.....
    Maybe you have nicer sharks in your part of the country.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

blue5000 wrote: »

I don't know freedom, I'd only use this as a last resort, those guys are like sharks after blood, it's an option ok, but there are better options, like get them valued and slaughtered, at least you'll get a salvage cheque from the factory when you slaughter, and a top up to the value agreed from the dept.

Ok the dept. might not be the fastest to pay up, but you will be fairly treated. Those sharks could keep you waiting.....
    Unless they are reactors they won't give you compensation. Never heard of it here anyway. Plus if a breakdown is in an area a lot of times the dept will be out and they also check reactors or reactors and it's random enough

Not for reactors blue. They're the depts baby. RD has culls he needs to move. Get a couple of numbers. Cow finishers are a bit thin on the ground anyway. You'd be surprised how many cows and up in these yards anyway. The guy who buys a lot of our culls us a bit of a jack of all trades. A bit of dealing, agenting, as well as finishing. He has a couple of herd nos one of which is the feedlot. It's just a case of where he wants to put them when I'm doing the permit here. Sometimes it's the feedlot other times it's a normal one. If you're locked up and overstocked you need to get culls home this is an out.

Sorry, mis-understanding on my part. I have had to sell surplus non reactors when locked up in the past and it was not a pleasant (€200 a head) experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Whole pile of documentation landed this morning and plenty of phone calls yesterday and this morning. !! One of the neighbours that i mentioned in earlier post had to bring all the non reactors in this morning for bloods after a phone call yesterday.... They seem to be pro-active regarding the livestock - food chain, but no mention of the wildlife and how they are to be addressed..... I could be getting a similar call could i?
    Have cattle away from the fields adjacent to the woodlands/boglands that seperate my land from neighbours...
    Have valuer selected and waiting on a day to meet.... Have another cattle jobber/dealer calling this evening to advise me on what the going market value is for this animal. I'm not up to speed with prices for cows-- shes 2012 lmx cow 2nd caver. in good condition-- fleshy. The only thing is that i'm not good at judging weight! Im guessing 700kg but i could be way off the mark she could be 800kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Whole pile of documentation landed this morning and plenty of phone calls yesterday and this morning. !! One of the neighbours that i mentioned in earlier post had to bring all the non reactors in this morning for bloods after a phone call yesterday.... They seem to be pro-active regarding the livestock - food chain, but no mention of the wildlife and how they are to be addressed..... I could be getting a similar call could i?
    Have cattle away from the fields adjacent to the woodlands/boglands that seperate my land from neighbours...
    Have valuer selected and waiting on a day to meet.... Have another cattle jobber/dealer calling this evening to advise me on what the going market value is for this animal. I'm not up to speed with prices for cows-- shes 2012 lmx cow 2nd caver. in good condition-- fleshy. The only thing is that i'm not good at judging weight! Im guessing 700kg but i could be way off the mark she could be 800kg!

Would you be able to put up a photo of her, see if we can get a few valuations so you're not going to the jobber with no idea. Can talk you through adding one if you aren't sure of how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

''Would you be able to put up a photo of her, see if we can get a few valuations so you're not going to the jobber with no idea. Can talk you through adding one if you aren't sure of how to do it.''

Not at farm until later
    if you know what i mean!!

Got a call from dept vet today myself, ive selected a valuer aswell but like yourself havnt been keeping up to speed on prices lately.
    mines a first calver. She's in good enough nick.
    Neighbour over the road thats full time at the marts and the likes so may get him to take a look at her. i've probably a fair idea myself of her weight and value.
    Would the fact that she's in-calf come into the value of it at all?
    Anyone know what kinda prices are going at the minute?

Ya worth more in calf, and a first calver, the values are tabulated, roughly averaged over the last 3 months of sales. If you say she's in calf they check it in the PM at the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

dzer2 wrote: »
    Bad news that hope you get clear soon

Had our test this morning waiting until Tues now

Clear Thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

RD10 wrote: »
    Got a call from dept vet today myself, ive selected a valuer aswell but like yourself havnt been keeping up to speed on prices lately.
    mines a first calver. She's in good enough nick.
    Neighbour over the road thats full time at the marts and the likes so may get him to take a look at her. i've probably a fair idea myself of her weight and value.
    Would the fact that she's in-calf come into the value of it at all?
    Anyone know what kinda prices are going at the minute?

dont waste your time with the neighbour ring your mart manager or the auctioneer and discribe your animal breed, weight, calving etc as he is the person selling stock week in week out, you would not believe the amount fellas that got to mart and could not tell you the true trade like price per kilo for different breed etc

At least i feel like something is happening. Was told the valuer should be out in the next day or two.
    Once she's valued how long should it take before they come to collect her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

That depends. The lorry driver won't be on till he has a few to collect. Probably trying to fill the lorry. I was locked up last year and they were here for close to 3 weeks from day of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fleshed continental cows continue to sell mainly from €1.70/kg to €1.80/kg, with young top-quality U grade cows making up to €1.90/kg and €1.95/kg in the case of some young cow heifers.

Although agents in some areas have been slightly more active, the prices paid at marts have not seen much of an increase.

Farmers and feeders have increased demand for feeding cows in recent weeks, numbers on offer are higher than last year, but the main supply of feeding cows is expected through October and November.

Continental feeding cows are selling mainly from €1.30/kg to €1.60/kg, with age and quality having the greatest impact on the price paid.

From the IFJ, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

When the valuer comes he will value the animal and if you agree and accept the price the Dvo will arrange for the animal to go to the factory as soon as possible.
    When we were down for three years on and off, the things learned were you and only you had to fight with the valuer when he was in your yard and when he was gone you could not change the outcome, and then make contact with AO who puts the reactors together for the factory and get your animals off farm to get the clock ticking for the next test,and then ring to find out the pm on the reactors.
    Important when the vet from the Dvo comes to do his check to ask every question you can and get his phone number, a name and a contact is the most vital thing we learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

just heard of breakdown in 2 large dairy herds (not in immmediate vicity)

looks like total depop. in 1 at least, 40 years of breeding in closed herd gone overnight.

know the family , just like we done (twice) in the 1980's they will restock & rebuild, & come good

orm0nd wrote: »
    just heard of breakdown in 2 large dairy herds (not in immmediate vicity)

looks like total depop. in 1 at least, 40 years of breeding in closed herd gone overnight.

know the family , just like we done (twice) in the 1980's they will restock & rebuild, & come good

Depop quickly is a long way from the worst outcome. A neighbour lost his herd over two years. They refused to depop even when close to 50% went in the first swoop including yearnings so obviously a major infection. If he hadn't other irons in the fire farming wise he'd have been screwed. One bang is much better than a slow death with all of the income loss incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm locked up at the moment. First time in over 20 years. 3 young suckler cows. They were valued at around €1500 each. One was 2 generations AI, the other 2 AI breeding also. In real value they were worth a lot more to me.

2 of the 3 cows came back positive on the TB blood test and no lesions when killed. All farms around me had to do a test too and all are clear so far.

Had first 60 day test on Monday, reading tomorrow. Had a quick peek at a few of the older cows today and they seem to be free of lumps. Fingers crossed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Best of luck patsy, it is a real pia, have you cattle you need to sell. Agree with you on the value, can't understand how ebi is used in dairy but not in sucklers, a 5 star cow should be worth a lot more than a 1 star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Best of luck patsy, it is a real pia, have you cattle you need to sell. Agree with you on the value, can't understand how ebi is used in dairy but not in sucklers, a 5 star cow should be worth a lot more than a 1 star.
    Cheers. Ya I've a few weanling bulls to go in November. Lucky in that I was low in numbers before this happened so I've too much grass if anything. Silage should be ok too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement