Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

farmerjj wrote: »
    How come it took so long for your 60day test?

2 cows weren't taken till 12th of july. Thats 16 days after reading. Then 70 days till retest. Dept sent out letter informing me that theyd be doing retest but this couldn't happen till the 14th of Sept and had to be done by 28th sept. l got a letter a few days later from the vet saying she'd be doing the test on 21st sept. 60 day test isn't 60days apparently. Vet was saying next test should be 120days after removal of first reactors. That would be Nov 9. Will be interesting to see when I'll be told to do it.
    They make up new rules as they go along. Around here a few yrs back whole townlands were being locked up if 1 or 2 farms had reactors. Luckily most calves had been sold on so wasnt a major burden but dealing in the marts was out for everyone in the area.

Forgot to say that my 2 reactors had no lesions after being slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just came across this paper, Intensive Farming link to Bovine TB

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_480545_en.html

Interestingly, herds above 150 cattle have a 50% higher chance of a TB outbreak than herds of 50 and under. Granted, English data but probably fairly transferable to here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Interestingly, herds above 150 cattle have a 50% higher chance of a TB outbreak than herds of 50 and under. Granted, English data but probably fairly transferable to here also.

They seem to be quoting a lot of contributory factors - size of herd, maize, silage, boundaries etc. but it all sounds a bit lightweight in terms of solid findings. The link (of increased risk) to the herd size could be as a result of increased buying in/turnover of stock thereby exposing the herd to a greater probability of exposure.

Edited to say that maybe I should hold fire till I read the full paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's hardly surprising except that it's only a 50% increase. Allowing all other things being equal with 3 times as many cows there always more chance of 1 going down. Add in variables directly related to herd size such as 3 times the cows grazing an area 3 times the size and the potential for an animal to come in contact with it increases.

having read the article though it does read like a study to support the theory of badgers transmitting tb to cattle. I would have thought that in areas with hedgerows another possibility of reduced tb was due to less animal to animal contact over boundary fences. The maize research may have merit but it seems a strange thing to have investigated with no other crops or enterprises investigated or at least reported.

I don't doubt badgers carry tb and can transmit it to cattle however this study appears to have looked at factors that could be linked to badgers but has provided no evidence of the behaviour of the badgers in these areas and didn't seem to offer any other possibilities other than badgers.

• Advertisement

Just wondering how are lads faring out since they were locked up? Had my second clear test on thursday so hopefully should be getting all clear from Dvo shortly. Almost 9 months tied up and no lesions found in 2 reactors and one doubtful cow that were removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all,

I bought in a batch of cattle and there are some of them 355 days since their last TB test down to 40 days for others.

Do the cattle need to be tested annually as in do I need to get them tested in the next ten day???

Thanks,

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

roosky wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought in a batch of cattle and there are some of them 355 days since their last TB test down to 40 days for others.

Do the cattle need to be tested annually as in do I need to get them tested in the next ten day???

Thanks,

Alan
    Are you planning on selling them soon, when is your annual test due?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

You don't need to test them until your annual test is due. I'm not sure what the rules are if you were sending other animals to the factory as there's something about the proportion of your herd that's out of test to be able to do this. If you're not sending animals to the factory before these will be tested in your herd then there isn't a problem.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    You don't need to test them until your annual test is due. I'm not sure what the rules are if you were sending other animals to the factory as there's something about the proportion of your herd that's out of test to be able to do this. If you're not sending animals to the factory before these will be tested in your herd then there isn't a problem.

I bought in the 20 heifers for summer grazing, Im a sheep farmer so no other cattle in the herd they will be kept till November and depending on the market will be sold or wintered, no other cattle going to factory and my annual herd test usually is around September or October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The herd test should catch them before you need to sell.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

The herd test should catch them before you need to sell.

Would I be better to test them now altogether or do I need to test them before sale in October anyway

You will need to test them before selling them. Animals can only be sold within a year of being tested. As long as the annual test is due before you intend to sell you are fine. If you need to sell a few that are out-of-test then they can be private tested on their own (with Dept permission gotten through your vet) or the test brought forward (with Dept approval).

Adam Grant

You will need to test them before selling them. Animals can only be sold within a year of being tested. As long as the annual test is due before you intend to sell you are fine. If you need to sell a few that are out-of-test then they can be private tested on their own (with Dept permission gotten through your vet) or the test brought forward (with Dept approval).

Thanks for that so your saying I can stop panicking for now !....now over to the red water thread to start panicking again :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Cattle tested few days ago and due to be checked again tomorrow.
    This morning one of the cows has a small lump on her neck.
    Worrying big time here. Never had this before. How big do the lumps on neck usually be if shes a reactor? Or can they be different sizes?

RD10 wrote: »
    Cattle tested few days ago and due to be checked again tomorrow.
    This morning one of the cows has a small lump on her neck.
    Worrying big time here. Never had this before. How big do the lumps on neck usually be if shes a reactor? Or can they be different sizes?
    dont even look at the lumps, you'll do your head in. The bottom lump is the tb one, but there might be a lump under the skin at the top one. Top lump is avian tb.

whelan2 wrote: »
    dont even look at the lumps, you'll do your head in. The bottom lump is the tb one, but there might be a lump under the skin at the top one. Top lump is avian tb.

There just seems to be one lump. does that suggest anything? Thanks for reply. Very hard not to worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

There just seems to be one lump. does that suggest anything? Thanks for reply. Very hard not to worry!!

Check two clip marks in hair on the neck. There should be two mark: top clip mark and bottom clip mark. If lump in top clip mark that is good/ If clip mark in bottom clip mark can be bad if it is greater than 4mm thickness in skin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Depends on the difference, have to agree with whelan.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have my own herd test on Monday. The first since getting locked up. Don't know who hates it more, me or the cattle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

blue5000 wrote: »
    Depends on the difference, have to agree with whelan.
    ya, if relative difference is greater than 4mm at lower injection site then it is looking bad.

Vet out this evening. No doubt about it. That cow a reactor. Sickened.

sorry to hear that

whelan2 wrote: »
    sorry to hear that

Thanks whelan. Its a bummer alright. Locked up for the next few months now.
    I cant even remember half the stuff the vet said to me and he didnt hang around too long after but from what i gather it could be another week and a half/two weeks before the cow is removed by the dept. Said they'd be contacting me once the report has been sent through.
    left in no mans land really. Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Feel your pain chin up I've been there 2 years ago was overstocked too at the time. You will need to get two clear tests before you can sell again first one will be 60 days from day reactor removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Bad news that hope you get clear soon

Had our test this morning waiting until Tues now

Thanks guys. I think i knew deep down when when i spotted the lump yesterday and it seemed to have gotten bigger today. Was hoping it was just the way the vet proded her but he was in no doubt once he seen it.
    Thats good to know that about the next test. Tbh i havnt a clue whats going on at the minute. Its an awful worry on any farmer.
    But when i came inside this evening and seen those tragic scenes up in cavan of that family of five on the news it puts a bit of perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

RD, it's outside the door.

Should i be taking the calf off the infected cow can anyone tell me?
    Calf showed no signs of a reaction but it dosnt make sense to leave calf with her.
    Calf is old enough to be weaned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Seeing as the cow will most likely be gone soon it would be no harm to start the weaning process more so that the stress wouldn't hit the calf more than anything else really.

Advertisement