Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

orm0nd wrote: »
    just heard of breakdown in 2 large dairy herds (not in immmediate vicity)

looks like total depop. in 1 at least, 40 years of breeding in closed herd gone overnight.

know the family , just like we done (twice) in the 1980's they will restock & rebuild, & come good

Just out of curiousity, say a whole herd were to completely go down. how soon after can a farmer begin to restock/rebuild?
    factors such as the source of the tb would come into play for that surely?

I'm locked up at the moment. First time in over 20 years. 3 young suckler cows. They were valued at around €1500 each. One was 2 generations AI, the other 2 AI breeding also. In real value they were worth a lot more to me.

2 of the 3 cows came back positive on the TB blood test and no lesions when killed. All farms around me had to do a test too and all are clear so far.

Had first 60 day test on Monday, reading tomorrow. Had a quick peek at a few of the older cows today and they seem to be free of lumps. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck patsy. Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RD10 wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, say a whole herd were to completely go down. how soon after can a farmer begin to restock/rebuild?
    factors such as the source of the tb would come into play for that surely?

I think it's 90 days, but not sure to be honest, it might be 90 days after you get the sheds disinfected after the de-stock.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm locked up at the moment. First time in over 20 years. 3 young suckler cows. They were valued at around €1500 each. One was 2 generations AI, the other 2 AI breeding also. In real value they were worth a lot more to me.

2 of the 3 cows came back positive on the TB blood test and no lesions when killed. All farms around me had to do a test too and all are clear so far.

Had first 60 day test on Monday, reading tomorrow. Had a quick peek at a few of the older cows today and they seem to be free of lumps. Fingers crossed.

Reading tomorrow aswell. Up sh1t creek if we get held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Best of luck Guys,

Was on the phone this am to see when valuer is coming. Waiting anxiously!!
    Need to get forms/paperwork sent away.

Noticed my wild bird cover well trampelled this morning..... Looks like its encouraging a few visitors!!

A pic of the lady in question!! attached......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

nealger wrote: »
    Best of luck Guys,

Noticed my wild bird cover well trampelled this morning..... Looks like its encouraging a few visitors!!

Does it look like deer or badgers? deer's **** looks similar to sheep.

had a few lying on our silage ground over the summer but once 1 was shot they didn't do much damage after

My OH seen 5 deer in it the other night driving out the avenue.......b******s!! Will investigate further....... it looks like from the road that they have been lying in it over the last few days/nights

My OH seen 5 deer in it the other night driving out the avenue.......b******s!! Will investigate further....... it looks like from the road that they have been lying in it over the last few days/nights

get onto a local hunter and sort them out, they like knowing where the deer are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May be you can convince the Dept. that deer have wings.

Water John wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    I dont know am i any good at convincing!;)

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    it is well established that wild deer can and do contract bTB, and can and do transmit it to cattle
    http://deeralliance.ie/blog/uncategorized/bovine-tuberculosis-in-wild-deer/
    and to avoid giving wild deer access to your land.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrols/tuberculosistbandbrucellosis/diseaseeradicationpolicy/TBLeaflet2014Final250314.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

blue5000 wrote: »
    can't understand how ebi is used in dairy but not in sucklers, a 5 star cow should be worth a lot more than a 1 star.

I agree with you but to be fair icbf can't make up their mind at the moment so it could be a few years untill the system is reliable to work off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Get somebody to slaughter them not shoot at them, clean them completely and don't worry about poor bambi,the best deer is one that has had a lead injection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Best of luck Patsy and LC, let us know how it goes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

ganmo wrote: »
    get onto a local hunter and sort them out, they like knowing where the deer are.
    You can get a section 42 licence to cull them. At the moment only deer with antlers in season (AFAIK), but with Section 42 you can hunt does/fawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You can get a section 42 licence to cull them. At the moment only deer with antlers in season (AFAIK), but with Section 42 you can hunt does/fawns.
    you need to have a good reason to get the section 42, I tried last year and crop damage apparently wasnt a good enough reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Best of luck Patsy and LC, let us know how it goes.

Clear here anyway!

whelan2 wrote: »
    you need to have a good reason to get the section 42, I tried last year and crop damage apparently wasnt a good enough reason

Is an outbreak of TB good enough? farms both sides of woodland down with tb.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is an outbreak of TB good enough? farms both sides of woodland down with tb.:confused:

Think i was unfortunate with the lad who came out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Passed here too.:D

28172062-young-male-farmer-is-relaxing-in-wheelbarrow-on-the-green-meadow.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Best of luck Guys,

Anyone any idea of value? She has frame to carry a good bit more imo but am not up to date on cow prices so I'd be useless to value her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Don't know with beef but things that add to value for dairy are, being in calf, pedigree status, milk recorded yields, ebi, etc. Perhaps get info on any calf sales or progeny dead weights together, breeding and everything else, to fight your corner. Do so with the valuer and if you disagree you can appeal and another fella will come out but this will delay getting the animal off farm and tbh with a single animal is hardly worth it different story with a number of animals. The way it works is the market value is arrived on she goes to factory which pays you for the meat and the dept pays the balance
    We got cleared out in 2000 with brucellosis and dad appealed the first valuation as he believed they were worth more and as it was the whole herd and got an increase in most. Whatever about the compensation for the animals the loss in milk sales was a killer from what I can recall

Anyone any idea of value? She has frame to carry a good bit more imo but am not up to date on cow prices so I'd be useless to value her.

Is she in-calf?
    My cow got valued today
    Factors that were taken into account were:
    Breed, Quality, pregnancy, lactation

What would she make as a dry cull feeder in the mart,€850/900.
    This doesn't account for her good breeding, in calf, age.

I could be way out. I'm the fool putting his neck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When the valuer came to value mine, he had like a matrix that took into account the breed of cow, weight, no of calves to date, all different things. So continental cows were worth more than traditional etc.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

RD10 wrote:
    Is she in-calf? My cow got valued today Factors that were taken into account were: Breed, Quality, pregnancy, lactation

Shes had 2 calves. Served only 3 weeks ago. So id say shes not in calf...😟

Going by the the paperwork i was given, Could be about 1400-1500 maybe.
    75 extra being incalf

RD would be hoping for a good mark up on the what I put up earlier as she is a fine breeding cow. Your value as that seems reasonable.

Im thinking that the factory would go maybe 1100 and maybe a balance of 200 to 260 by dept. Anything above that i wont be disputing....
    Just heard that neighbour had 4 more cows go down after blood tests.... hes only 5 cows left. Farmer accross road got phone call this morning telling him hes been restricted until a herd test is carried out.... its full lock down here 🙊🙈🙉

• Advertisement

Think you would be lucky to get €1100 at the factory, hope you do.

Advertisement