Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Parishlad wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that! Were the cattle mixed together at any stage?

If follow up tests are clear and you get the go-ahead in December it might be better, price wise, to hold on to them until late January at least. What age,type of cattle are they?
    20 friesian/friesianX cull cows normally sold as stores/forward stores in nov/dec/jan and 40 of this years calves which i don't have housing for:(.

They wouldn't have been mixed together but different stock would have moved between groups but those 3 would have been in different groups since late last year.

Ah, feck it anyway:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

One reactor:(

Earliest i can sell now is late December when prices are at their lowest.

3 reactors from 3 different groups of stock grazed on different parts of the farm. I wonder how that can be explained:confused:
    It's pure dog****e to happen,went clear at start of week thank fcuk,the neighbours are dropping like flies with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

20 friesian/friesianX cull cows normally sold as stores/forward stores in nov/dec/jan and 40 of this years calves which i don't have housing for:(.

They wouldn't have been mixed together but different stock would have moved between groups but those 3 would have been in different groups since late last year.

Ah, feck it anyway:(

Any feed lots around. You may come across as a distressed seller but if push comes to shove could be a better option than holding stock and no space for em?

Milked out wrote: »
    Any feed lots around. You may come across as a distressed seller but if push comes to shove could be a better option than holding stock and no space for em?
    I asked the Dept man about selling to designated farms who aren't allowed to sell any stock, only to factory and he told me there was no such units.:rolleyes:

I may have to ask someone else.

I will have to rethink my wintering plans, maybe the ewes will have to move on or spend a few bob on penning in the new shed. I must put the thinking cap on over the next few days. I need to move some stock soon to get a bit of cash moving into the system:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I asked the Dept man about selling to designated farms who aren't allowed to sell any stock, only to factory and he told me there was no such units.:rolleyes:

I will have to rethink my wintering plans, maybe the ewes will have to move on or spend a few bob on penning in the new shed. I must put the thinking cap on over the next few days. I need to move some stock soon to get a bit of cash moving into the system:(

Maybe the rules changed since but I thought a herd with a feed lot status can buy off restricted herds? Their stock could only leave for slaughter and not sold on. They could a few years back anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I sold teaser that was after getting wicked last week. Sold to a dealer/finisher with a feedlot herd number. Plenty of the dealers who act as factory agents have these herd numbers. You wouldn't be that much of a distressed seller considering these lads would often be your most likely customer for store cows in a mart anyway. Get a couple of them to look at the cows. You'll need to get dept permission but a letter outlining the animal welfare and environmental implications of not getting the permit should focus minds. Always remember it's their fault you have a tb breakdown. It's their responsibility to eradicate the disease.

Milked out wrote: »
    Maybe the rules changed since but I thought a herd with a feed lot status can buy off restricted herds? Their stock could only leave for slaughter and not sold on. They could a few years back anyway
    That is my understanding also but will have to check to make sure.
    I sold teaser that was after getting wicked last week. Sold to a dealer/finisher with a feedlot herd number. Plenty of the dealers who act as factory agents have these herd numbers. You wouldn't be that much of a distressed seller considering these lads would often be your most likely customer for store cows in a mart anyway. Get a couple of them to look at the cows. You'll need to get dept permission but a letter outlining the animal welfare and environmental implications of not getting the permit should focus minds. Always remember it's their fault you have a tb breakdown. It's their responsibility to eradicate the disease.
    Thanks for that, I will get hold of a few the coming week.

I was talking to a neighbour earlier about the outbreak. It was from land bought and cleared after being warned about elegibility for SFP. I wonder if those guys had to pay for the incidental losses caused by their 'foresight', would the rules be as strongly enforced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear that buford, have you enough feed for the winter? Could you out winter weanlings?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

buford
    you can sell to a feedlot with only slaughter out when restricted,the animals passport is stamped slaughter only, a lot of finishers are going down the road of slaughter herd and resulting in a once a year herd test and are restricted all the time so TB is no problem to them instead of testing every time they have a reactor animal.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that buford, have you enough feed for the winter? Could you out winter weanlings?

Loads of feed thankfully. Brilliant year for grass here, had more silage in first cut this year than both cuts last year. If the weather dries a bit and spring is alright then I will be grand.

Housing though will be a big problem even if I out winter the strongest. I will still need grass when the cows and ewes go out.

• Advertisement

If you could get rid of those 20 cull cows off to a feedlot before the next herd test it would be a big help, older cows are more likely to go down than younger cattle in my experience anyway. Pm me what county you are in. Some of them feedlot lads are absolute sharks though, when they smell a bit of tb/dept induced distress, it's like a shark tasting blood :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

If you could get rid of those 20 cull cows off to a feedlot before the next herd test it would be a big help, older cows are more likely to go down than younger cattle in my experience anyway. Pm me what county you are in. Some of them feedlot lads are absolute sharks though, when they smell a bit of tb/dept induced distress, it's like a shark tasting blood :(
    Feedlot lads will rape you with price. The feed-lot system of only having to test once a year irrespective of TB status is a disgrace and being able to buy in stock from reactor herds. It's one rule for the normal farmer but the big lads get preferential treatment.
    Two feedlot men near me have their cattle out grazing in the fields. They used to be testing constant before, due to all the TB they had and now only once a year. Since those lads went feedlot-status everybody else around are always going down with TB!!! Giving TB to badgers as well.

Feedlot lads will rape you with price. The feed-lot system of only having to test once a year irrespective of TB status is a disgrace and being able to buy in stock from reactor herds. It's one rule for the normal farmer but the big lads get preferential treatment.
    Two feedlot men near me have their cattle out grazing in the fields. They used to be testing constant before due to all the TB they had and now only once a year. Since those lads went feedlot-status everybody else around are always going down with TB!!! Giving TB to badgers as well.

Some of them have developed a 'very good working relationship' with the dept vet allocated to them. IMO these vets need to be moved around a bit more often.

Some of them have developed a 'very good working relationship' with the dept vet allocated to them. IMO these vets need to be moved around a bit more often.

Greasing the paws heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

buford
    you can sell to a feedlot with only slaughter out when restricted,the animals passport is stamped slaughter only, a lot of finishers are going down the road of slaughter herd and resulting in a once a year herd test and are restricted all the time so TB is no problem to them instead of testing every time they have a reactor animal.
    Two feedlot men near me have their cattle out grazing in the fields. They used to be testing constant before, due to all the TB they had and now only once a year. Since those lads went feedlot-status everybody else around are always going down with TB!!! Giving TB to badgers as well.

My neighbour is talking about going "feedlot status". I'm wary of it to be honest as he can buy in all sorts, never have problems round here with TB.:mad:

I never knew it could be done till now. Is there much to setting it up & what are the advantages to him apart from not being tied up if he has a reactor? :confused:

royaler83 wrote: »
    My neighbour is talking about going "feedlot status". I'm wary of it to be honest as he can buy in all sorts, never have problems round here with TB.:mad:

I never knew it could be done till now. Is there much to setting it up & what are the advantages to him apart from not being tied up if he has a reactor? :confused:

He can never sell stock in mar. It's a huge advantage being able to buy in stock from reactor herds, they can get them for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

He can never sell stock in mar. It's a huge advantage being able to buy in stock from reactor herds, they can get them for half nothing.

That's unreal, then why do all finishers not go this way? Surely the dept keep a tight eye on them? A lad could be at it & buying in screws of yolks and no-one round would know :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

One reactor:(

Earliest i can sell now is late December when prices are at their lowest.

3 reactors from 3 different groups of stock grazed on different parts of the farm. I wonder how that can be explained:confused:

Last year prices took off in November and December so you never know again this year could be the same.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Last year prices took off in November and December so you never know again this year could be the same.
    I hope you're right AP.
    Loads of feed thankfully. Brilliant year for grass here, had more silage in first cut this year than both cuts last year. If the weather dries a bit and spring is alright then I will be grand.

Housing though will be a big problem even if I out winter the strongest. I will still need grass when the cows and ewes go out.
    I think I have sorted out housing anyway. The straw is normally stored next to the loose housing but I can get most of the young stock in there. I will store half the straw in the machinery sheds and rent a neighbours empty shed for the other half, just a mile up the road. Hopefully he will be game:(

I will wait till scanning in about 2 weeks to decide what to do with the cows but there are 10 I want to get rid of anyway so if I can get a half decent for them I will leave them off.

And I was hoping for a quiet winter this year:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I hope you're right AP.

I think I have sorted out housing anyway. The straw is normally stored next to the loose housing but I can get most of the young stock in there. I will store half the straw in the machinery sheds and rent a neighbours empty shed for the other half, just a mile up the road. Hopefully he will be game:(

I will wait till scanning in about 2 weeks to decide what to do with the cows but there are 10 I want to get rid of anyway so if I can get a half decent for them I will leave them off.

And I was hoping for a quiet winter this year:o

sorry to hear BTJ.... was it a cow, calf or yearling that reacted?(not that it matters)

i wouldnt sell to a feedlot... them fcukers will offer you sweet fcuk all for your animals.... hold tough.... will the reactor be blood tested??

• Advertisement

sorry to hear BTJ.... was it a cow, calf or yearling that reacted?(not that it matters)

i wouldnt sell to a feedlot... them fcukers will offer you sweet fcuk all for your animals.... hold tough.... will the reactor be blood tested??

A young bull to replace the current lad. No blood.

I am thinking of looking for more snares for badgers because the 3 were in different lots of cattle all year.

I will probably look for 3 45 day tests as well to catch anything that might be there earlier. I hate thinking of single reactors for the next flipping year.

A young bull to replace the current lad. No blood.

I am thinking of looking for more snares for badgers because the 3 were in different lots of cattle all year.

I will probably look for 3 45 day tests as well to catch anything that might be there earlier. I hate thinking of single reactors for the next flipping year.

does the dept call to you and set up snares to catch badgers?? they done it here for a couple of yrs... came in feb each yr.. set up snares and called back everyday for ten days... did same on outfarm... some badgers were caught.... however we never got any information back as to whether they were tb positive or not...

does the dept call to you and set up snares to catch badgers?? they done it here for a couple of yrs... came in feb each yr.. set up snares and called back everyday for ten days... did same on outfarm... some badgers were caught.... however we never got any information back as to whether they were tb positive or not...
    The Dept have it contracted out to the FRS round here. They came about 4 months ago and cleared out a big nest of badgers bounding myself and my neighbour but no idea if they found any positives in them.

The Dept have it contracted out to the FRS round here. They came about 4 months ago and cleared out a big nest of badgers bounding myself and my neighbour but no idea if they found any positives in them.

Local removal of badgers decreases TB in the short term, but in long term increase the incidence of TB.

Local removal of badgers decreases TB in the short term, but in long term increase the incidence of TB.
    Any source for that?

Any source for that?

Read it from a journal by G. Wobeser. Don't have the exact name of article. Principle is sound though. If you remove localised population of badgers you will get migration and mixing of badger populations which results in increased transmission of TB. Badgers from cull areas (not killed) will be highly stressed and will shed more TB.

Any source for that?

yeah FRS do it here too.... presume its the same man.. from moyvane i think... think he does hoof paring too...

it is well known that if you have badgers and dont have TB... then dont disturb the badgers you have.....

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Any source for that?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwjDqseT6-3HAhVTjpIKHd0sCvM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.agriculture.gov.ie%2Fmedia%2Fmigration%2Fanimalhealthwelfare%2Fdiseasecontrols%2Ftuberculosistbandbrucellosis%2Fdiseaseeradicationpolicy%2FDepartmentsBadgerPolicyJan13.doc&usg=AFQjCNF7ZOQxSjiJKID5CE0hkr2lfidgdg&bvm=bv.102022582,d.aWw

There is alot of conflicting data out there on the spread of TB by badgers and whether culling small populations of badgers leads to an increase or a decrease. The epidemiologists lecturing us in UCD said there was good evidence to back up both claims so it is still uncertain. They seemed confident that smaller culls can lead to neighbouring badgers extending their roaming territories and that if they are a TB herd then this may spread TB to surrounding areas.

One interesting bit of info they seemed confident about is that there is more Cow-cow and Cow-badger transmission than there is badger-cow or badger-badger. I can't find a reference for that particular theory right now but it was noted in a lecture and the lecturer seemed confident in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Had my first 60 day test last monday. Was done by Dept vet.. Read on Thursday and had one cow put down as "doubtful". She advised me to get rid of her. As the cow is currently rearing an April calf I said I'd wait till near the next test just to give the calf a chance.
    Got a call from the DVO this morning saying that they've decided to take her out as a reactor due to the cow having high readings back in 2013.
    Apparently the tests are showing up lumpy with the last few months around west cork and they want to get on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I'm in the same boat since 26 June. 2 reactors here. Dept called on Thursday about valuer. Knew one off the list and he called that evening. I always knew the skin test wasn't 100% accurate but he told me it's only accurate at picking up around 3-4% of true reactors. So 96 97% of cattle slaughtered as reactors aren't reactors at all. Make sure you find out how they kill out i.e. if they have lesions.
    Apparently its showing up in greater numbers this year. 60 odd years of testing and its worse than ever. Pure and utter joke.

How come it took so long for your 60day test?

Advertisement