Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Old Perry wrote: »
    that would be class. id love to see fight some of them lads. how does work if he wins the belt at 145? must he stay at that weight to defend?

The FW belt can only be contested at 145.
    If he wins the interim belt, unifys it with Aldo's title, and defends it against Edgar. He could realistically take a competitive 155 fight while the FW divisions regroups. But not before then imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    The FW belt can only be contested at 145.
    If he wins the interim belt, unifys it with Aldo's title, and defends it against Edgar. He could realistically take a competitive 155 fight while the FW divisions regroups. But not before then imo.

I love watching UFC/mma but I am not that up on the preparation for going into a fight. I saw Mcgregor at recent weigh ins looking really bad after the cut and he says himself he struggles to make the weight. Do you think with the new ban on IV rehydration it makes him more likely to move up to lightweight and only reason I'm asking you specifically is from reading around here your opinions seem fairly solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I love watching UFC/mma but I am not that up on the preparation for going into a fight. I saw Mcgregor at recent weigh ins looking really bad after the cut and he says himself he struggles to make the weight. Do you think with the new ban on IV rehydration it makes him more likely to move up to lightweight and only reason I'm asking you specifically is from reading around here your opinions seem fairly solid.

I don't think we'll really know the answer to this until the ban comes to place in October, we 'should' see quite a few fighters going up a weight class by then

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't think we'll really know the answer to this until the ban comes to place in October, we 'should' see quite a few fighters going up a weight class by then

Lke I dont know myself for sure what it takes to cut like they do, because I never done it.... it looks pretty fecking intense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lke I dont know myself for sure what it takes to cut like they do because I never done it but it looks pretty fecking intense.

Conor probably walks around at 165-170, he'll weigh in at 145 but by the time he enters the octagon 24hrs later he'll be close to 160, maybe even 165.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Conor probably walks around at 165-170, he'll weigh in at 145 but by the time he enters the octagon 24hrs later he'll be close to 160, maybe even 165.

Yeah he seems massive for 145 which is one of his advantages I think, although he seems to be getting tired of making those cuts. I think he is also a really gifted striker but am I wrong in saying that lightweight division is much more stacked division and he will find it harder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He makes a big cut, no doubt. I don't know for sure if he uses IVs, but maybe. Not being able to use an IV doesn't make it harder to make the weight, it just makes it slower to recover.
    When the IV comes in, he might be better off cutting from 160 instead of say 165 in order to recover better (made up numbers, but that's the ball park) - but he could still make the cut if he needed to, the IV doesn't help you getting there, only back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

And here was me watching my followed threads waiting for the old one to reopen...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Old Perry wrote:
    Depends on how the ufc see it, as a habit of pulling out or as misfortune to become injured.

If he's been medically cleared to fight then he's not injured imo

Strip him.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

nc19 wrote: »

Strip him.....

How did they clear him to fight with a fractured rib ?

Madness on their part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Strip him.....

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/how-serious-is-a-rib-fracture-like-the-one-suffered-by-jose-aldo-ahead-of-ufc-189

At least try to pretend you have a bloody clue what is going on before adding your 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

The countdown show done a good job of finally building a nit of hype for the Lawlor V McDonald fight! Really looking forward to that scrap, the two lads have been extremely impressive over the last while! heart says McDonald, head says Lawlor he is an absolute beast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

CatFromHue wrote:
    Interesting to see Mendes and his camp talking about the pace, or lack or, in the Siver fight.

If you mean in terms of conors pace/tempo then I think mendes shouldn't pay much attention to it. I think conor goes as fast or as slow as he wants. If mendes tries to up the tempo to gas conor or put him under pressure I think conor will just match it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If you mean in terms of conors pace/tempo then I think mendes shouldn't pay much attention to it. I think conor goes as fast or as slow as he wants. If mendes tries to up the tempo to gas conor or put him under pressure I think conor will just match it
    Yeh I think in that fight he was just dictating the pace cos he knew he wasn't in much trouble from Siver so just picked his shots and didn't really break a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

johnpro wrote: »
    100%...we'd a gang the last time and same again this time but even travelling alone the amount of people you meet and just get chatting to and have the craic with...it's a deadly atmosphere!

I wanted to go over but I didn't want to go alone. Good to hear it would be possible to meet people to hang around and beer with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Just saw Chad is now ranked #2 on ufc. com/rankings

SQLDBA wrote: »
    Just saw Chad is now ranked #2 on ufc. com/rankings

So, Frankie jumps to no.1 but didn't get the interim shot...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So, Frankie jumps to no.1 but didn't get the interim shot...:confused:

Yeah, aparently that was switched after the fight announcment, but again rankings are the media not ufc so they are doing what they want not on the rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I saw someone saying Inside The Octagon was streaming live today at 11am, anyone have a link to the stream?

• Advertisement

I saw someone saying Inside The Octagon was streaming live today at 11am, anyone have a link to the stream?

It should be on the main UFC youtube channel but not 100% Won't be live streaming, should be already filmed and just put up on youtube.
    UFC 189: Unibet's Inside The Octagon

Ahead of the massive UFC 189 this weekend we've got three BIG episodes of Unibet's Inside The Octagon. Episode one arrives at 11am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It should be on the main UFC youtube channel but not 100% Won't be live streaming, should be already filmed and just put up on youtube.

Yeah its still not up yet, im being very impatient :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

May be a bit of a long shot but I don't suppose anybody has a spare Fight Club ticket for early access to the weigh ins?

My FC expired a few weeks back.

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah its still not up yet, im being very impatient :pac:

Why....why did they lie to us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

That_Guy wrote: »
    May be a bit of a long shot but I don't suppose anybody has a spare Fight Club ticket for early access to the weigh ins?

My FC expired a few weeks back.

Me too :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why....why did they lie to us :(

Maybe they didnt, maybe its 11am ET?

Axwell wrote: »
    Maybe they didnt, maybe its 11am ET?

Nah I doubt UFC UK account would mean 11am ET in its tweets, there liars im heart broken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Then they clearly are just dirty liars..

Edit:

Or http://uk.ufc.com/media/189-Unibet-Inside-The-Octagon-Main-Card

Axwell wrote: »
    Then they clearly are just dirty liars..

Edit:

Or http://uk.ufc.com/media/189-Unibet-Inside-The-Octagon-Main-Card

This video is private.

Im calling Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    This video is private.

Im calling Joe Duffy.

Hes too busy getting ready to fight Ivan Jorge

Oh you mean thattt Joe Duffy....

Advertisement