Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

well at least by fight time there'll be a whole lot less trolls here bar the drunken ones on the night no doubt
    I'd like to be a mod from now till then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The embedded episodes have been very tame so far, i think they definitely work better for the week of the fight. I see the 189 Countdown show is on tonight 9pm ET so will check it out tomorrow and Inside the Octagon will be live 11am our time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The embedded episodes have been very tame so far, i think they definitely work better for the week of the fight. I see the 189 Countdown show is on tonight 9pm ET so will check it out tomorrow and Inside the Octagon will be live 11am our time tomorrow.

BT have a show tomorrow evening with Gareth Davies. Looking specifically at Conor's rise.

Re - embedded 4.
    Was that a glimpse of Lawler and MacDonald in there? Jeez, it's like trying to spot an endangered white rhino or something for all the air time they're getting. Unbelievable really. And they're probably much more interesting athletes and people too in many ways.
    Have to say Mendes does come across as a really decent guy. Hard to dislike him…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Interesting to see Mendes and his camp talking about the pace, or lack or, in the Siver fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Re - embedded 4.
    Was that a glimpse of Lawler and MacDonald in there? Jeez, it's like trying to spot an endangered white rhino or something for all the air time they're getting. Unbelievable really. And they're probably much more interesting athletes and people too in many ways.
    Have to say Mendes does come across as a really decent guy. Hard to dislike him…

Did you see the episode? They were the most boring parts of it. The are generally viewed as having no personalities, although rorys physco like behavior is a bit interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Beersmith wrote: »
    Did you see the episode? They were the most boring parts of it. The are generally viewed as having no personalities, although rorys physco like behavior is a bit interesting

yeah, firin up that huge gas bbq for 1 chicken breast, psycho indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

scudzilla wrote: »
    yeah, firin up that huge gas bbq for 1 chicken breast, psycho indeed

should get his delph sorted out that rory fella

great card this one , watching from 1 am , 9 fights savage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BT have a show tomorrow evening with Gareth Davies. Looking specifically at Conor's rise.

You had me until you mentioned Davies...

Can't stand that clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Hey lads. Made a McGregor promo in advance of UFC 189, if ye fancy giving it a gander. Did the edit and music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You had me until you mentioned Davies...

Can't stand that clown.

You're not even slightly curious as to what type of scarf he'll wear...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Interesting to see Mendes and his camp talking about the pace, or lack or, in the Siver fight.

Yeah and them saying there's a leg kick again when conor ended up on the floor from receiving one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Just watched the Siver fight again there on Setanta.

He's so good at keeping distance. My only worry is that over hand right from Chad. Siver was close to landing a few short hooks and the odd right when the exchanges were up close. Chad is exponentially quicker than Siver so Conor will have to be careful.

In saying that, the straight left from Conor is a thing of beauty. He hurt Siver each and everytime he landed it.

Going to be a long week in work. Safe travels to all those heading over this week. For those hitting Vegas for the first time, I can't tell you how jealous I am. What a place. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just watched the Siver fight again there on Setanta.

He's so good at keeping distance. My only worry is that over hand right from Chad. Siver was close to landing a few short hooks and the odd right when the exchanges were up close. Chad is exponentially quicker than Siver so Conor will have to be careful.

In saying that, the straight left from Conor is a thing of beauty. He hurt Siver each and everytime he landed it.

Going to be a long week in work. Safe travels to all those heading over this week. For those hitting Vegas for the first time, I can't tell you how jealous I am. What a place. Have fun!

His face was ridiculously messed up after that first round, his accuracy is amazing.

To people heading over for future reference if you headed over to Vegas for a UFC event, alone would you find Irish people over there to go on the beer with and stuff?

I always wanted to head over for a fight but none of my friends would have any interest in spending that kind of money to head to vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Anyone think that Conor still looks very big in these embedded episodes? Hows he gonna get to 145 by next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

ah i doubt he'll have problems making weight, very professional team behind him and hes not the type to skimp on training, anyone else notice how drained and skeletal he looks on the scales his last few fights? must be a horrible cut! wonder if a move up to 155 would see much of an improvement? Love to see him against Cowboy or someone where he wouldnt have his usual reach advantage see how he adapts to it.

Depp wrote: »
    ah i doubt he'll have problems making weight, very professional team behind him and hes not the type to skimp on training, anyone else notice how drained and skeletal he looks on the scales his last few fights? must be a horrible cut! wonder if a move up to 155 would see much of an improvement? Love to see him against Cowboy or someone where he wouldnt have his usual reach advantage see how he adapts to it.

How you reckon he would fare against Cerrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Yeah he looked like a zombie here!:eek:

• Advertisement

How you reckon he would fare against Cerrone?

Very hard to know, Cerrone be a very tough fight for him, very similar and Cerrone's kickboxing is unreal, plus hes taller than conor too that'd be something we havent really seen before...be a cracker though!

McGregor-Weigh-in.jpg

White_Walker_2x10.jpg

close enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

that would be class. id love to see fight some of them lads. how does work if he wins the belt at 145? must he stay at that weight to defend?

I think you can fight at two divisions and hold a belt but youd have to cut to defend the belt at the weight it was won at...think he held 145 and 155 at cage warriors at the same time. I'd kill to see him fight Cowboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

let's get by Mendes first.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    let's get by Mendes first.

If Conor loses to Mendes and Cerrone loses in December that would be a good fight to make though at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I think you can fight at two divisions and hold a belt but youd have to cut to defend the belt at the weight it was won at...think he held 145 and 155 at cage warriors at the same time. I'd kill to see him fight Cowboy

Ah right so. if he annihilates mendes the way he hss the others it would seem 155 would be a devision with a bit more of a challange then. cerrone and conor standing in front of eachother trading punches would be an epic battle altough if he did move up he'd probably have to fight a couple lower in the rankings before hand no?. iaquinta or henderson would just as interesting also. assuming cerrone or henderson would still be going at that stage, how long do yas reckon cerrone has left? or how much do ya reckon he wants before he calls it a day ?:-)

id imagine with the hype behind him they'd give him a high level guy soon enough...Id imagine cowboy has another bit left in the tank though cant wait till he eventually gets his title shot! Straight into a title shot at 155 could even be a possibility frankie got it going the other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

To people heading over for future reference if you headed over to Vegas for a UFC event, alone would you find Irish people over there to go on the beer with and stuff?

I always wanted to head over for a fight but none of my friends would have any interest in spending that kind of money to head to vegas.

100%...we'd a gang the last time and same again this time but even travelling alone the amount of people you meet and just get chatting to and have the craic with...it's a deadly atmosphere!

• Advertisement

johnpro wrote: »
    100%...we'd a gang the last time and same again this time but even travelling alone the amount of people you meet and just get chatting to and have the craic with...it's a deadly atmosphere!
    Deadly how much would you be needed between tickets/hotel/flights and beer :D

2k or so Id think.

edit: Just purchased the Mcgregor fight on UFC tv, 17.99 isn't to bad really.

Advertisement