Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Mendes did very little on the ground, passed guard once and landed a few elbows, compared to McGregor completely busting him up on the feet, making him gas after 5 seconds with a body kick

That's a very unrealistic view of what happened.
    Conors relief when the fight was stopped alone showed how much damage Mendes was doing and how hard he was making the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I would have thought Mendes had marginally won both rounds if it came down to it.

He did win both rounds on points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

& You just have to love Rener's zany enthusiasm.

Have a bit of a man crush on him tbh........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Den_M wrote: »
    Conors relief when the fight was stopped alone showed how much damage Mendes was doing and how hard he was making the fight.

Well he was hardly going to appear disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Saipanne wrote: »
    Well he was hardly going to appear disappointed?

Ah c'mon, his demeanor afterwards was completely different from when he fought Siver, Poirier, Brandao etc. After those fights he was still cocky and in promo-mode, having not really been tested. The Mendes fight was a scrap, dunno why you're insisting otherwise because it made the occasion much more epic, was the test that Conor needed and can only drive him on to bigger + better tasks ahead.

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon, his demeanor afterwards was completely different from when he fought Siver, Poirier, Brandao etc. After those fights he was still cocky and in promo-mode, having not really been tested. The Mendes fight was a scrap, dunno why you're insisting otherwise because it made the occasion much more epic, was the test that Conor needed and can only drive him on to bigger + better tasks ahead.

I think It's hilarious In here how people go on, acting like McGregor dominated and breezed through this fight like. He won the fight because of one pivotal moment. The beautiful submission escape. If he was 1 second too slow on that he would have lost, the guillotine would have been locked on, the hook was going on to the back and McGregor was out.

It wasn't the body kicks, the ground game, the 2 week camp or anything else that decided this fight It was the submission escape and It was deserved of winning any fight, of course all those other things factored in but McGregor was seconds away from losing and people are refusing to admit It, they choose to believe he was in control for the entire fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Mendes had the wrestling advantage, if anything Mcgregor had the BJJ advantage. Mendes got the crucifix but could do nothing with it. What Mendes did was hold McGregor down in closed guard and gave him no space to work, which is a lot more on his wrestling than his BJJ. Every time Mendes gave McGregor any space at all Conor was able to exploit it. I was pretty impressed by the transformation to be honest, considering the Duffy fight isnt even 5 years ago

The damage he took in the fight, or the culmination of his lifes work in winning a UFC belt? Think the latter might have more than a little to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

That's exactly it ...............matter of split seconds was all it was really. I needed to change my jocks after watching that it was so close.
    I think It's hilarious In here how people go on, acting like McGregor dominated and breezed through this fight like. He won the fight because of one pivotal moment. The beautiful submission escape. If he was 1 second too slow on that he would have lost, the guillotine would have been locked on, the hook was going on to the back and McGregor was out.

It wasn't the body kicks, the ground game, the 2 week camp or anything else that decided this fight It was the submission escape and It was deserved of winning any fight, of course all those other things factored in but McGregor was seconds away from losing and people are refusing to admit It, they choose to believe he was in control for the entire fight.

Couldn't you say that of any fight, or of any sport?

"If only Ronaldo scored that goal in the last second, they would have won. But he missed..."

"If only MacDonald ducked that last punch, he wouldn't have been finished, but he didn't..."

And so on. The fact is McGregor did escape. And unless were talking parallel universes here, that is the only outcome that ever will happen until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just watched it again with this commentary synced up to it. Interesting to hear as a complete MMA newbie. I didn't realise how bad Conor's ground game was.

Actually it was quite good if you see a breakdown of what he's actually doing and how he got out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You're all here long enough to know the forum rules. If you think someone is a troll; report the post. Do not call them out on thread. It's not on and if it persists then people will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

We all know he got out of it and all credit due to the skill involved, the point is that had he been a little bit more ground down and slightly more tired it was down to seconds.
    .ak wrote: »
    Actually it was quite good if you see a breakdown of what he's actually doing and how he got out of it.

I think it was more the fact he just won a belt... Probably felt like years of hard work to get it, would've been an emotional rush. When you see him walking away from him in the first place when Herb broke it up he looked quite upright and alert.

gitane007 wrote: »
    We all know he got out of it and all credit due to the skill involved, the point is that had he been a little bit more ground down and slightly more tired it was down to seconds.

Well the interesting thing about that breakdown video is they talk about the energy expenditure to take down vs being taken down. Conor looked quite happy to be on his back, and I've seen videos of him at BJJ comps and sparring in SBG and he's always generally to be happy to be on his back and force the opponent to go down on their guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Conor had fought his toughest fight against a fighter a lot of people said would beat him & won
    Add to that the thousands of Irish that paid to go to the fight I think he was entitled to be relieved, especially when theres a belt on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Couldn't you say that of any fight, or of any sport?

"If only Ronaldo scored that goal in the last second, they would have won. But he missed..."

"If only MacDonald ducked that last punch, he wouldn't have been finished, but he didn't..."

And so on. The fact is McGregor did escape. And unless were talking parallel universes here, that is the only outcome that ever will happen until the end of time.

You're just not understanding the point I am making at all are you? I am not trying to take anything away from McGregor's win, I am not trying to say Chad should have won, I am not trying to say Mcgregor didn't deserve to win. I am not bad mouthing Mcgregor In anyway shape or form so really you should have no beef with me as that seems to be the only thing you are interested In.

The point I am making Is that McGregor did not dominate this fight,It was not an easy Fight, Chad was not ineffective on the ground and McGregor was indeed very tired when the fight was over.

This was the toughest fight of McGregor's life, he got taken down 4 times and after the 1st round he looked lost for idea's, when Chad was on top Of him dropping elbows he was looking at the ref asking to be stood up, (not the eye incident) that suggest's he was not having a fun time.

The respect and admiration McGregor showed to Chad after the fight was testament to just how hard this fight was, before the fight Conor said Chad Is a white belt, he can't strike (closes his eyes and hopes for the best) Is a novice wrestler etc etc after the fight he said Chad is the best striker in the division next to Conor and he said "Chad is definitely the best wrestler in the division".

That Is a big change in opinion, McGregor know's that was a huge win and If he ever faces Chad again It will be a lot more difficult. About the comparison of a near end, It's completely different to a goal in football etc. Chad had a submission locked In and McGregor was tapping in a matter of seconds If McGregor had not acted extremely smart and intelligently to avoid It. To use a football example It's similar to a goalkeeper pulling off a miraculous save in the last minute to win his team the match.

McGregor deserved the win, he was the better man on the night, but he did NOT dominate that fight and It was In no way easy for him so please stop.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you listen to John Kavanagh (and not, you know, some random kid from Wisconsin on Sherdog or whatever :)) ... McG hadn't been able to drill one takedown defense the entire camp and the knew was an unknown even going into the fight.

Conor seemed (imho) to be inviting Mendes to pass, he was goading him and asking for a stand up etc. Mendes felt under pressure and instead of clearly winning the round and continuing to do damage in the guard, went for a poor strategic decision and passed guard. I'm not sure Conor wanted to stop him in fact (much as that seems like a strange thing to say)... His escapes and scrambles are very good as we saw. He cant use that with Mendes in his guard and seemed to want the chaos of a submission attempt to hip escape and stand up. I might be giving Conor too much credit but its certainly fits with what we saw a few times (Mendes passes, Conor escapes, even from a crucifix ffs :) )

You're just not understanding the point I am making at all are you? I am not trying to take anything away from McGregor's win, I am not trying to say Chad should have won, I am not trying to say Mcgregor didn't deserve to win. I am not bad mouthing Mcgregor In anyway shape or form so really you should have no beef with me as that seems to be the only thing you are interested In.

The point I am making Is that McGregor did not dominate this fight,It was not an easy Fight, Chad was not ineffective on the ground and McGregor was indeed very tired when the fight was over.

This was the toughest fight of McGregor's life, he got taken down 4 times and after the 1st round he looked lost for idea's, when Chad was on top Of him dropping elbows he was looking at the ref asking to be stood up, (not the eye incident) that suggest's he was not having a fun time.

The respect and admiration McGregor showed to Chad after the fight was testament to just how hard this fight was, before the fight Conor said Chad Is a white belt, he can't strike (closes his eyes and hopes for the best) Is a novice wrestler etc etc after the fight he said Chad is the best striker in the division next to Conor and he said "Chad is definitely the best wrestler in the division".

That Is a big change in opinion, McGregor know's that was a huge win and If he ever faces Chad again It will be a lot more difficult. About the comparison of a near end, It's completely different to a goal in football etc. Chad had a submission locked In and McGregor was tapping in a matter of seconds If McGregor had not acted extremely smart and intelligently to avoid It. To use a football example It's similar to a goalkeeper pulling off a miraculous save in the last minute to win his team the match.

McGregor deserved the win, he was the better man on the night, but he did NOT dominate that fight and It was In no way easy for him so please stop.

Never said he dominated or was easy. Not once.

End of discussion.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McG even said in his post fight walk away "I feel like I earned it tonight" after clearly being in a war. No doubt in my mind that this was his toughest fight and certainly a close fight.

Asking the ref to stand it up wasn't a sign of weakness or begging to go back to the feet... its blatantly an attempt to needle Mendes. Conor was asking "is that all you've got?" etc on the ground. Asking the ref for a standup was a blatant wind up attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Only way McGregor was getting up was for Mendes to get through his guard. Chad was as active as he possibly could have been in McGregor's guard, which was far too active for the fight to be stood up. I'm not saying he deliberately let Mendes get through but in order to create enough separation between himself and Mendes to get up, Conor had to leave the opportunity for Chad to pass guard. Chad duly took said opportunities without hesitation. From there, Conor grappled impeccably to avoid the guillotine and get the fight back to the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched this, nice few FACTS about the fight. The whole gassing thing though, I know Chad was telling embedded he wa sin perfect shape but he knows it's a mental game against Conor, he could hardly say 'Ah tbh I'm a bit bolloxed and could do with another few weeks of training' but the rest of the vid is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pulse8 wrote: »
    That'd be great man, thx a mil

There you go.

It's fairly accurate for 189, not 100% of course!

355425.png

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There you go.

It's fairly accurate for 189, not 100% of course!

Legend, thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

He was so close last time too! I love Lawler as well so It's not the worst thing ever but If I didn't I'd genuinely be beat up for Rory. How do you think he'd fare against Hendricks?

Be an amazing match up! Hendricks is one animal of a puncher but I do think his reach is a good bit shorter so that might eliminate that threat a bit! Could be wrong on that though!
    Its a bloody hard one to call aint it but id just have to side with MacDonald but probably more out of bias than anything! It's a real 50/50 fight and god knows how MacDonald will come out of that war when he recovers!
    I for one would love to see Lawler Hendricks go at it again.

Never said he dominated or was easy. Not once.

End of discussion.

And to be childish I will point out that I never said you said he dominated or It was easy for him.

Someone mentions the fact that Mendes had Conor on the ground you respond with
    The net effect of which was to wear himself out while McGregor didn't seem "wore out" at all.

Good strategy.

Someone points out takedowns you respond with
    But once down there Mendes wasn't doing much. Then Mendes attempted submissions, but McGregor was more than a match for him.

Someone mentions striking
    most of his time standing up was spent pinned back to the cage because of McGregors pressure. You can even hear the commentators saying that Mendes can't continue like this.

So according to you Mendes was ineffective on the ground and on the feet, so what exactly was difficult or tiring for Conor then? You suggested mendes taking him down was a bad strategy and when I said well Is standing up trading blows with Conor a better with you ignored me.

Anytime I call you out on anything, try to have a discussion or anything of the sort you run away, then you'll come back a few hours later with some one liner and run away again. I thought this was supposed to be a thread for discussing? If you are not going to discuss anything then It's probably best If this is "end of "discussion".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Be an amazing match up! Hendricks is one animal of a puncher but I do think his reach is a good bit shorter so that might eliminate that threat a bit! Could be wrong on that though!
    Its a bloody hard one to call aint it but id just have to side with MacDonald but probably more out of bias than anything! It's a real 50/50 fight and god knows how MacDonald will come out of that war when he recovers!
    I for one would love to see Lawler Hendricks go at it again.

Yeah I think the reach Is something similar to Conor vs Chad. But Hendricks surprises me everytime. even just looking at that man you'd have no idea how much of a beast he is.

Well he wants his title back so he's going to have to go through Rory and Robbie to get It at some stage, tasty to think about.

And to be childish I will point out that I never said you said he dominated or It was easy for him.

Someone mentions the fact that Mendes had Conor on the ground you respond with

Someone points out takedowns you respond with

Someone mentions striking

So according to you Mendes was ineffective on the ground and on the feet, so what exactly was difficult or tiring for Conor then? You suggested mendes taking him down was a bad strategy and when I said well Is standing up trading blows with Conor a better with you ignored me.

Anytime I call you out on anything, try to have a discussion or anything of the sort you run away, then you'll come back a few hours later with some one liner and run away again. I thought this was supposed to be a thread for discussing? If you are not going to discuss anything then It's probably best If this is "end of "discussion".

You're just making inferences and jumping to conclusions. I think the fight was close, I just don't buy the narrative that's floating out there that Mendes was dominating until McGregor magically escaped and finished him. That's not the fight that I was watching.

Anyway, you seem to be getting quite caught up in my posts, so how about we cool off for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Werdum had his guard passed like nothing against Cain, but Cain could do nothing with it, just like Mendes. Its pretty telling that neither of those Mendes "guard passes" were held long enough to be officially considered a guard pass in sport BJJ, McGregor recovered pretty much immediately and took pretty much no damage on both occasions. People keep saying stuff like "Chad almost had that guillotine" as if it means something, he went for a guillotine and McGregor defended it without issue

Advertisement