Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

Let's hope they get in before dark!

Great from Dunner today. Obviously some good work done over the past couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Great performance yesterday ! hopefully he can keep it going. Lovely group for him today, after playing with Rose in the B.Masters and he obviously know PH well. Having gone through a baron couple of months, he has been knocking on the door just was making a couple of mistakes which took him out of a few tournaments. The leaderboard is well bunched with top class players so fingers crossed for him! !

Great performance yesterday ! hopefully he can keep it going. Lovely group for him today, after playing with Rose in the B.Masters and he obviously know PH well. Having gone through a baron couple of months, he has been knocking on the door just was making a couple of mistakes which took him out of a few tournaments. The leaderboard is well bunched with top class players so fingers crossed for him! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

You can say that again

backspin. wrote: »

You can say that again

:) :) 

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »

You can say that again

:) :) 

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I know he didn't have his A game yesterday and it can be very frustrating to hit bad shots but someone should tell him that his repeated use of bad language when he knows the camera is constantly on him in a featured group does him no favour. It also sets a bad example for young aspiring players who see him as a role model. It is a good thing to have a "fire in the belly" but he needs to manage those emotions inwardly as can be seen from most of the very best players. I always thought he seemed good at managing his emotions so was very surprised when watching him yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

bmay529 wrote: »
    I know he didn't have his A game yesterday and it can be very frustrating to hit bad shots but someone should tell him that his repeated use of bad language when he knows the camera is constantly on him in a featured group does him no favour. It also sets a bad example for young aspiring players who see him as a role model. It is a good thing to have a "fire in the belly" but he needs to manage those emotions inwardly as can be seen from most of the very best players. I always thought he seemed good at managing his emotions so was very surprised when watching him yesterday

Maybe this is why they aren't showing him today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mushy wrote: »

And he will have had a severe talking to from Sky as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Wonder what they do with Hatton....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

This is why you rarely seen Shane Lowry on the PGA coverage this year, the yanks loved him but his language had the presenters apologising all the time so now they just don’t show him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

This is why you rarely seen Shane Lowry on the PGA coverage this year, the yanks loved him but his language had the presenters apologising all the time so now they just don’t show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AGC wrote: »
    Wonder what they do with Hatton....

Praise his fighting Ryder Cup spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

He did post an apology on Twitter after the round

First Up wrote: »

Nothing to do with Sky. If anyone is speaking to him it will be the European Tour.

Anyway he knows he done wrong.

Exactly wrote: »

Nothing to do with Sky. If anyone is speaking to him it will be the European Tour.

Anyway he knows he done wrong.
    It has a great deal to do with Sky. They carry the broadcast into peoples' homes and don't like having to apologise every time it happens.

You can be 100% sure they let him know and emphasised the point by not showing him.

Why don't Sky / European Tour Promotions, just have a little delay when showing shots (as most shots you see are not 100% live anyway) - would only need to be a small delay (seconds), then should any swearing or offensive language take place, sky can muffle it out - they do that with a number of shows that are "live" as it is.
    Sky apologize all the time when someone says boo - yet you can hear all the F's and W'kers when you are watching a football match! 
    I know PD came out and said he was sorry, and he was subsequently fined by the European tour - but these guys are playing under extreme pressure, serious money and the odd show of disgust can happen, like anyone on the golf course or work for that matter, and it was not like he called his playing partner a B*ll*x, he was annoyed at himself.

Why don't Sky / European Tour Promotions, just have a little delay when showing shots (as most shots you see are not 100% live anyway) - would only need to be a small delay (seconds), then should any swearing or offensive language take place, sky can muffle it out - they do that with a number of shows that are "live" as it is.
    Sky apologize all the time when someone says boo - yet you can hear all the F's and W'kers when you are watching a football match! 
    I know PD came out and said he was sorry, and he was subsequently fined by the European tour - but these guys are playing under extreme pressure, serious money and the odd show of disgust can happen, like anyone on the golf course or work for that matter, and it was not like he called his playing partner a B*ll*x, he was annoyed at himself.
    So as well as juggling coverage of 60 + players across 18 holes, the broadcaster should build in a delay to accomodate the vocal outburst of petulant players? Easier and cheaper to just black them.

Dunne was loudly and repeatedly out of line. It will cost him a lot more than a fine if it means his sponsors logos are not seen.

The broadcasters don't show all the field during coverage, they typically follow the marquee groups / leading groups at the weekend, and then show the odd good shot from someone randomly out on the course.
    Tiger Woods, repeatedly swears when he is playing - do they stop showing him on TV ? Don't think so. 
    Maybe they should all go to the Matt "Gosh Golly" Kuchar school of petulance.

The broadcasters don't show all the field during coverage, they typically follow the marquee groups / leading groups at the weekend, and then show the odd good shot from someone randomly out on the course.
    Tiger Woods, repeatedly swears when he is playing - do they stop showing him on TV ? Don't think so. 

• Advertisement

Does Dunne generate the same audience figures as Tiger? Don't think so.

Sure that's okay so, did'nt think there was a different rule book for each player when it came to this.

It has a great deal to do with Sky. They carry the broadcast into peoples' homes and don't like having to apologise every time it happens.

You can be 100% sure they let him know and emphasised the point by not showing him.

He wasn't shown because he was no longer in real contention and I will reiterate the players are at the behest of the tour and not Sky.

Do you think sky have words with Tiger every time he curses or gobs on the tee.

Sure that's okay so, did'nt think there was a different rule book for each player when it came to this.
    Then you don't know much about the economics of golf.

Exactly wrote: »

He wasn't shown because he was no longer in real contention and I will reiterate the players are at the behest of the tour and not Sky.

Do you think sky have words with Tiger every time he curses or gobs on the tee.
    Players curse regularly but most of them have the sense not to do it on live TV. Offending a gallery of a few dozen is not the same as doing it to millions.

I am no fan of Tiger's behaviour but there is no question he gets away with stuff because he is box office.

Sky told Dunne to clean up his act. Be in no doubt about that.

I sure do . . I worked in the that industry for over 7 years & I know it very well. But look, I am not here to say I am right and you are wrong. Ultimately they can do little about it, players impulsively react to good  / bad shots. If someone gets offended by someone else swearing on TV then they will be offended everyday. 
    I agree 100% , they have to set an example to the young kids watching, but what I find is, the kids playing often recreate the "Club Dropping" on the follow through if they hit a bad shot and that stuff.

I sure do . . I worked in the that industry for over 7 years & I know it very well.
    Then you should know that high profile players get an easier ride than someone on the periphary, which Dunne still is. Not many people (other than those in the bar in Greystones) turn on their TV to watch him. He got a very clear message on Friday - misbehave and you will have a very small audience

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭moon madness

Paul is in the mix Down Under.
    European tour win No.2 on the way hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In the mix again, 1 off the lead going into the final day. Good turnaround after poor first day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In the mix again, 1 off the lead going into the final day. Good turnaround after poor first day

This was a 54 strokeplay and now goes into a matchplay scenario for the remainder. 6 holes matches for those who remain

Advertisement