Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Discodog wrote: »
    How spicy is it?

Not at all. It comes with a barbeque sauce which you put on at the end and then back in the oven for 5 minutes so it's more sweet than spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Is their Carlos frozen pizza the worst of all frozen pizzas?

Yes it’s quite bad to be fair.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes it’s quite bad to be fair.

THe flatbreads are lovely though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Grainne's apple and raspberry danishes and jams are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Roast beef dinner for €3.60 is delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't appropriate - but wtf are Aldi at with their latest ad??? What looks like a retired couple claim to have SAVED €439 in four weeks by food shopping in Aldi.

I wouldn't even SPEND €439 on food in four weeks! Did they dine fulltime on lobster and caviar before or what?

Can they just make any kind of outlandish claim they want???

Probably a demographic reach out.
    Get the old folks, we haven't had them on an as for a while, kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I'm finding recently that the majority of meat I buy in Aldi is going off before the best before date. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm finding recently that the majority of meat I buy in Aldi is going off before the best before date. Has anyone else noticed this?

No problems here. Have you brought it to the attention of your local store? Might be a problem with their fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

imme wrote: »
    Probably a demographic reach out.
    Get the old folks, we haven't had them on an as for a while, kind of thing.
    They have lots of different age groups doing the adds. It seems a little high but not outrageous. We spend arournd €100/€120 a week on groceries and do 95%between lidl and Aldi. When we used to shop in Dunnes or Supervalu the prices are way higher, id say it would be definitely a good €40 or €50 more ontop a week. We only buy the necessities but when your buying for a family it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check the temperature of your fridge. You'd be surprised at how many domestic fridges are at too high a temperature.

4-5 degrees is ideal

Meat should be stored on bottom shelf and best to have a cool bag to transport from shop to home within an hour.

In all shops, all refrigeration is checked at least once a day and records kept for inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

My fridge is kept at 3c. I don't recall having any problems with meat holding its BB date and I'd buy all my meat in Aldi from steak to chicken breasts, burgers, legs of lamb, mince etc.

The only thing which regularly gets a bit moody if I don't open and cook it until the BB date are chicken breasts which can smell off but a quick rinse and a good thorough cook and seems to do the trick. I've never had any comments that the chicken tasted off and no food poisoning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

54&56 wrote: »

The only thing which regularly gets a bit moody if I don't open and cook it until the BB date are chicken breasts

Moody chickens - are they still alive? If so. I'm not surprised they become moody in a cold Friday :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I try cook chicken or fish as soon as I buy it. Have noticed it doesn't seem to keep near the use by date unlike other meat.

I noticed the prepacked chicken wraps now use Irish chicken.
    I used to love the sweet chilli chicken wrap, but stopped buying it a good while ago when I saw on the small print it was Brazilian chicken.
    Good to see Irish chicken, but it seems the Sweet chilli wrap has been discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone made Salmon en croute before? Want to make a really easy version.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Brioche Baps there are savage.

This is a family forum. Your children may be reading, so I’ve edited your post accordingly.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yes, I've had to throw out mince twice in the last few weeks, both times they were within date. I thought it might just be my fridge tbh but everything else seems to be keeping fine, including chicken which I'm very paranoid about. What meat was it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭donegal_man

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone made Salmon en croute before? Want to make a really easy version.

Preheat oven to 200°C

100g soft cheese (add whatever herbs you like)
    4 x salmon portions 100g each
    1 Sheet Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
    Oil/butter for greasing baking tray

Cut pastry sheet in four
    Put a dollop of your cheese on each fillet
    Wrap in pastry
    Grease baking tray with oil/butter
    Brush prepared croutes with a little melted butter
    Bake for approx 15 minutes

If you have to trim the pastry squares use the trimmings to make cheese straws
    brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake for 10-12 minutes 200°C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Preheat oven to 200°C

100g soft cheese (add whatever herbs you like)
    4 x salmon portions 100g each
    1 Sheet Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
    Oil/butter for greasing baking tray

Cut pastry sheet in four
    Put a dollop of your cheese on each fillet
    Wrap in pastry
    Grease baking tray with oil/butter
    Brush prepared croutes with a little melted butter
    Bake for approx 15 minutes

If you have to trim the pastry squares use the trimmings to make cheese straws
    brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake for 10-12 minutes 200°C

Thanks so much, just one small question, do they sell ready rolled puff pastry in Aldi or lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

LenWoods wrote: »
    Brioche Baps there are savage.

This is a family forum. Your children may be reading, so I’ve edited your post accordingly.

The Gloomster!
    What was he doing with the Brioche that a mod had to step in? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Thargor wrote: »
    What was he doing with the Brioche that a mod had to step in? :eek:

I think he may have compared them to some other, erm, "baps" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭limnam

I think he may have compared them to some other, erm, "baps" :P

I thought it was for the spelling of they're :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fin12 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, just one small question, do they sell ready rolled puff pastry in Aldi or lidl?

Yes, in the chilled section, both sell shortcrust and puff (packed in the one box so you might have to move them around to find whatever one you want)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had one of their frozen Emmental & Asparagus parcels last night and it was delicious. They also have Red pepper & Mozzarella ones, I have a pack in the freezer but haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I notice this with the fruit and veg alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Esse85 wrote: »
    I notice this with the fruit and veg alright.

Definitely their Achilles heel. I often find fruit and veg starts to turn bad literally within 2-3 days of being purchased. There are exceptions such as Irish sourced potatoes, cabbage, broccoli etc but softer fruit and veg, particularly imported products seem to be close to the very end of their shelf life by the time Aldi get them onto their shelves.

In contrast I don't find the same problems with Lidl fruit and veg at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had to stop buying their oranges, Id buy a net the day before then go to grab one on the way out to work in the morning and the bottoms of them would be turning to slime already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Yes, I've had to throw out mince twice in the last few weeks, both times they were within date. I thought it might just be my fridge tbh but everything else seems to be keeping fine, including chicken which I'm very paranoid about. What meat was it for you?

Same thing happened me last week. Also with mince

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭limnam

Thargor wrote: »
    I had to stop buying their oranges, Id buy a net the day before then go to grab one on the way out to work in the morning and the bottoms of them would be turning to slime already.

I understand it's not the Genera Lidl thread, but Lidl's fruit and veg are far superior imo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Crucials garlic & herb sauce is back, says limited stock. 1.19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have to say while I generally agree about the fruit and veg, Aldi’s Irish raspberries and strawberries are really good, their blueberries are good too, although not Irish - they all last for a good few days If kept in the fridge in

Advertisement