Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Maybe Jon Snow is a Baratheon and not a Targaryen. He is black of hair. It would explain why the Red Woman was interested in him too, if he had kings blood. OR! Maybe he is Targaryen and the reason he is important is because Dany is who the Lord of Light wants to be ruler. Light and fire and dragons all go well together. I'm so confused! GRRM better not kick the bucket before this gets resolved!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

SillyBeans wrote:
    Maybe Jon Snow is a Baratheon and not a Targaryen. He is black of hair. It would explain why the Red Woman was interested in him too, if he had kings blood. OR! Maybe he is Targaryen and the reason he is important is because Dany is who the Lord of Light wants to be ruler. Light and fire and dragons all go well together. I'm so confused! GRRM better not kick the bucket before this gets resolved!

Maybe Tyrion will urge for a Dany/ Jon marriage and they can make the child of ice and fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

some great reactions

What kind of colossal wanker films themselves watching a tv show?

"Well I better have an over the top reaction to anything that happens here to justify doing this"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Degag wrote: »
    They just showed a clip of Maester Aemon saying "Kill the boy" to Jon Snow on that Thronecast show. Forewarning?

That was a reference to Maester Aemon telling Jon to leave behind his former life & that he is ready to lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The Irish Water protesters making a cameo there towards the end of that episode.

I'lll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

That was a reference to Maester Aemon telling Jon to leave behind his former life & that he is ready to lead.

I know but now I think it could also be a forewarning that he should have killed Olly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Disappointing season and ending overall.

At the end of each season, I've generally gone from "CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON" to "I actually don't care".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

whats the story now, when can we expect the next season?

im new to the franchise, imagine my delight at having 5 seasons to plough through....now im drip fed.(tormented)
    FFS theres no hero now!

King of the north...Gutted!!
    Jon Snow...gutted!!
    really hope the theory of the red bitch and resurection is true,

the way things are looking, I should probably start rooting for the white walkers!!!!!

i think i need to start reading the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    But why would she even believe her new "visions" herself when she's apparently been lead on by her god for years that Stannis would win?
    I was a bit stunned nobody put a knife in her as soon as she got through the Castle Black gate TBH. Nobody particularly likes her, and they know now she deserted Stannis too.

I assumed her visions were finite, she wouldnt need to cast many spells if one said it all.
    They know nothing of stannis or that situation. yet to be revealed what she knows, i may stand corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

This is it. Who actually deserves to sit on the Iron Throne now at this stage?

Its becoming clearer and clearer that that's not the whole point of all this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

lbj666 wrote: »
    Its becoming clearer and clearer that that's not the whole point of all this.

?

I thought that was the only point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

But... But... That was Jon Snow...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

keith16 wrote: »
    Disappointing season and ending overall.

At the end of each season, I've generally gone from "CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON" to "I actually don't care".

Me too. It's not even good characters dying - we've gotten over plenty of them before, it's just the there has been such a sharp drop in general quality this season. After each episode (with perhaps the exception of Hardhome) there has been a disappointment that I've rationalised away with "there's time left in the season to salvage it", but they haven't. The final episode was mediocre.

I'll continue watching, and will likely look forward to the next season when it comes, but nowhere near to the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

DeadHand wrote: »
    But... But... That was Jon Snow...

Olly needs to be drop kicked off the wall s06ep01 minute 01.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

game of thomes is a load of ****e, thats a joke that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

At least Stannis went out like a badass. Taking two (much younger) swordsmen with him despite being clearly wounded and exhausted.

Brienne continues her habit of having legends served to her on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Me too. It's not even good characters dying - we've gotten over plenty of them before, it's just the there has been such a sharp drop in general quality this season. After each episode (with perhaps the exception of Hardhome) there has been a disappointment that I've rationalised away with "there's time left in the season to salvage it", but they haven't. The final episode was mediocre.

I'll continue watching, and will likely look forward to the next season when it comes, but nowhere near to the same degree.

I do think a big part of the dip is to do with good characters being killed off though. Characters that were honourable but flawed like the Stark men, or ruthlessly pragmatic like Tywin, have been phased out in favour of altogether less interesting characters.

I mean, Tywin has been a huge loss, imo. The scenes with him and Arya back in season 2/3 were fantastic, and all they were was a man and a girl talking in a room. Nothing can really compare to those dialogue driven scenes with complex characters, and I always thought that that was where GoT was often at its strongest. We saw a bit of that in season 4 with Oberyn and Tyrion too. The scene with Oberyn telling Tyrion about the first time he saw him as a baby was just great. It's hard to have those kinds of scenes if the characters are not interesting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The moment between Jamie and his daughter had my wife all happy cos Jamie is one of the few "good" guys left. I literally only had time to say "you know this means she's going to die now" before the blood started pouring out her nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

So,

Jon: Dead
    Stannis: Dead
    Sansa: Dead
    Reek: Dead
    Marcella: Dead
    Danny: Captured.
    Zombie Mountain: Dead....but not dead.
    Arya: Blinded.

Busy episode, but on the whole, not a great one.
    Feel strangely empty about it all.

The line from the sand-snake geebag to Bronn... Terrible.

Good Jesus I nearly pissed myself laughing, 'you need bad pussy'. It's like Dorne exists in some parallel Quentin Tarrantino 70's grindhouse exploitation universe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Old Perry wrote: »
    Olly needs to be drop kicked off the wall s06ep01 minute 01.
    No, no, no. Too tame.

Have Ghost confront him in his bedroom and rip his throat out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    No, no, no. Too tame.

Have Ghost confront him in his bedroom and rip his throat out

Yeah. ghost really dropped the ball on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭fluke

The show is at a risk of becoming a parody of itself. I've sorta become detached as to who what 'good guy' gets killed next…it's not a good thing for the show runners to have a detached audience.

Sure bad things happen to good people, but the series seems skewered to convey that it only happens to good people, rather than to everyone. Logic is being put to one side, and sadism goes in it's place.
    • Sansa getting raped (so recently after the Cersei/ Jamie scene in se4ep3).
    • Surely after the events in ep 8 this season the men of the wall would've heard about what happened with the white walkers and would've been like…'right, maybe we are better together'
    • As for Stannis…all seemed to happen so suddenly…he got the financial backing of Bravos, the Red Witch…and then Ramsay defeats him!

All in all if bad death happens because of interesting and logical plot points, I'm ok with that (Robb's death, was, you could say justified). If I just want to see main characters get knocked out of the blue I'll watch Walking Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Oh just you wait guys... just you wait!

Next year... oh boy... next year: the things we must have in store for us.

First off Dorne! "Didn't I tell you not to go poisoning people!" The fallout between that guy in the wheelchair and the sand snakes! God, the drama there. Hope that Obera doesn't die, right? She's fast becoming my favourite.

Then Sam and Gilly. That will be interesting. We'll dip in from time to time with them; a few minutes each episode. Sam being awkward but persevering. Gilly being a bit of a fish out of water The baby being very much a baby, and quite possibly dead.

Let us not forget Daenerys who will be looking slightly puzzled.. stunned.. mildly shocked... slightly adoringly. There'll be a lot of mixup in her discussions with the Dothraki; and that'll take the whole season. "Drogon was right there on the cliff!" the fans will shriek "how is this god-damn plot not resolved already!?!?" but, you see, it will all be worth it because

Jorah and Daario! This series just loooooves people travelling in pairs... be it Jaimie and Brienne, Brienne and Pod, Tyrion and Jorah, Tyrion and Varys, Bronn and Tyrion, Bronn and Jamie, The Hound and Arya... you get the idea. Salt and Cheese! How COULD THESE TWO PEOPLE *BE* ANY MORE DIFFERENT? "You're too old" "Well, you're too god-damn forgettable"

And finally... Will Grey Worm and Meli.. Meis.. whatever her name is get it on.. or.. not...

War? Why would you need war? Baratheons? Tullys? Starks? Pfff. That doesn't have the same ring to it as love triangle and bubby-buddy movie material. If anything this series is going up - up - up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's nonsense. The way some people are reacting, you'd swear there's been a Dexter-esque drop in quality when there hasn't.
    There has for me. I've been trying to give it the benefit of the doubt for the last few weeks, and it's certainly had it's moments, but at least the last 3 or so episodes have been bizarrely uneven.

All through the season there's been some fairly ridiculous coincidences driving the plot along (e.g. Jorah running into Tyrion, Brienne running into Sansa, Jorah and Tyrion being in the first prelim fighting pit Dany attends, Sansa lighting the candle about 4 seconds after Brienne turns away after months of watching), which I recognise probably come from trying to shoehorn two large volumes into 10 eps, but still. It's not quite reached Lost levels of coincidence, but it's getting there.
    losing fantastic characters such as Tywin, The Hound and Oberyn was going to be difficult.
    PressRun wrote: »
    I think it's really risky business to kill off really compelling characters like Jon, Tywin, Oberyn, Ned, etc.
    PressRun wrote: »
    I do think a big part of the dip is to do with good characters being killed off though.
    There's been major characters killed off every season since the first, and it hasn't had as big an impact as this one. Others have quite compellingly replaced them. But this season the pacing has been way off all the way through, and there's been too much time given to characters who aren't those replacements, or who we already know quite well, without really developing them further.

The intricate politics which was a major part of most seasons seems to have been largely abandoned. Again, it's probably a victim of the growing scale of the story, but moments like Danaerys' conversation with Tyrion, the very brief initial Cersei/High Sparrow interaction, or the Tyrion/Varys stuff, were few and far between.

And Jon's death was just ridiculous. "Hi, you know lots of us want to kill you, but your long lost uncle has just returned. He can't be bothered coming to see you himself, so just come out here and stand still while we all stab you. And then, despite the fact that some of us have seen dead bodies spontaneously reanimate and we've been burning corpses as a precaution, we'll all just walk away and leave your body there. With the blood pooling out. Doesn't that witch who just arrived practice blood magic? Ah well, it's time for tea anyway."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Who are the bad people who have died? Joffery, Meryn Trant. Who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I used to love this show but I'm afraid now that it has gone the way of the Walking Dead in terms of it's ridiculous, I guess for me Breaking Bad is still number one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭fluke

Austria! wrote: »

FYMP

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Just finished watching and I cant help but think that the White Walkers have Jon Snow in mind to join their little brigade. He was getting some strange looks at the end of Episode 8.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Austria! wrote: »

Shireen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Good Season for me till the end, surely he told them about the white walkers and what happened. there were other rangers of the nights watch with them when they fought the white walkers also the oath they swore to the nights watch and what about his buddy Eddison Tollett didn't seen sight of him when they stabbed him?

Advertisement