Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Shireen.

She had to go or she would have brought the whole kingdom to ruin. a more devious mastermind i have not seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

MOH wrote: »
    There's been major characters killed off every season since the first, and it hasn't had as big an impact as this one. Others have quite compellingly replaced them. But this season the pacing has been way off all the way through, and there's been too much time given to characters who aren't those replacements, or who we already know quite well, without really developing them further.

Have they done a good job of replacing them? I suppose Ned was replaced by Rob, who was then swiftly extinguished a couple of seasons later. Then they brought in Oberyn in season 4, who shook up King's Landing a bit, but who quickly had his skull crushed before the end. Then Tywin was killed off too, and he's been pretty irreplaceable, imo. And now Jon Snow.

The show, to me, hasn't felt quite as urgent since season 3, when Tywin was running things in King's Landing and the situation in the north felt like it was actually moving forward with Rob. I agree that the pacing is off. Daenerys' story in particular is just running on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fcuk it lads, I honestly couldn't give a toss if the white walkers turn every last person in westeros into a blue eyed zombie. All the interesting characters bar Tyrion and Bronn are dead.

DeadHand wrote: »
    At least Stannis went out like a badass. Taking two (much younger) swordsmen with him despite being clearly wounded and exhausted.

Brienne continues her habit of having legends served to her on a plate.

That is such a good point and it hadn't dawned on me until I read your point. She stumbles upon The Hound and the hard work is already done by someone else. She shows up just as Stannis takes a rest after someone else did the hard work. She's like the Rafa Benitez of the GoT universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Her magic makes no sense. She could use Stannis' bloodline to make magic due to some power in the king's blood. But Jon Snow will do just as well?

Ah... But does Jon Snow have king's blood? That is the question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Devastated at Jon Snow's fate - I mentioned previously how himself and Roose Bolton were my two favourite characters; one dead and the other may as well be due to the lack of screen time; which is especially grating considering all the attention that bastard Ramsay is receiving. Ned was right when he said to Jon - "You may not be a Stark but you have my blood" - Jon is more of a Stark than any of the older legitimate Stark children - He had Ned's blood more so than Robb did. All of the attributes that Ned possessed, his general demeanour etc, came naturally to Jon, while Robb always had to work that bit harder at it, having to create and perform the role of "the King of the North". Having said all of that, I hope he truly is dead and that we don't see any resurrection rubbish. It would be great if the show just simply went on without Jon, and gave us subtle reminders and memories of him - Boardwalk Empire spoiler -
    kind of like Jimmy Darmody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think the fact she ultimately had no idea what was happening and her magic/god failed utterly to materialise makes her a bit of a dead duck now to be honest.

Thought it did as there was a thaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

stankratz wrote: »
    That is such a good point and it hadn't dawned on me until I read your point. She stumbles upon The Hound and the hard work is already done by someone else..

He was fine before he met her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

boomerang wrote: »
    Ah... But does Jon Snow have king's blood? That is the question!

Arent the starks considered kings blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

K4t wrote: »
    I thought it was Kiera Knightley when the nuns cut her hair and gave her an operation transformation.

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭xper

boomerang wrote: »
    Poor Jon, he shot out of his chair thinking he could find Benjen. How cruel is that? :(
    Starks ... Quick tempers, slow minds! - Littlefinger
    Apparently, she dropped the ring so that next season, they'll know the general direction she was taken... If that happens, it's taking coincidence a million miles too far.
    Indeed. So not content with ripping off Gladiator in previous episodes, this scene was lifted straight from the script for The Two Towers. The laziness of the writing is hard to understand given previous seasons' efforts.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    And also one that doesn't fill me with hope that Melisandre will be able to bring Jon back...

She seems surprised by Thoros' ability to resurrect Beric.

"That's not possible."
    Not so sure. In that clip, she seems to arrive into the cave with Thoros having already been told that Beric has been brought back from the dead. It is the "six times" comment that provokes her "not possible" reaction.
    thought darrios description of grey worm was good. "he is the toughest man with no balls that I know" :D
    The one good line in the episode.
    Theon unimpressed though.

Think that's the first end-of-season scene that didn't depict a "good" character in a positive situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's nonsense. The way some people are reacting, you'd swear there's been a Dexter-esque drop in quality when there hasn't.

Dorne was unquestionably poor (Topped off in the finale with the line "You want the bad girl but need the bad pussy") but the rest has been very good, in my opinion. To the levels of previous seasons, probably not but as I've said, losing fantastic characters such as Tywin, The Hound and Oberyn was going to be difficult.

Tyrion and Varys politicking, Cersei wanting revenge for her humiliation and murdered daughter, the fate of Sansa and Theon (if they survived that fall) Jon's possible resurrection (please!). I can't wait for next season.
    Pretty much agree with all of this. Perhaps the weakest season (although season 4 had it's uneven moments) but still very strong, unique television.

I thought Cercei's walk of shame was masterful, I love how the show will take the time to really let this character stuff breath. She went from defiant to vulnerable to broken to vengeful and we were with her every step of the way. We waited so long for her to get her comeuppance and that glee was shoved back in our faces as we ended up feeling sorry for her. And now her vengeance is going to be brutal.

Same with Arya, since season 1 people wanted her to get revenge, but that comes with a price. Be careful what you wish for.

Can't wait for season 6 already. How will Davos fit in now Stannis and his daughter are gone? Surprised he's still alive so there must be plans for him. Oberon's wife wants to start a war obviously and she'll get it, the Dorne stuff has obviously been the weakest link this season but hopefully they will find a way to fix that. I can see Jamie shedding his nice guy image once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

anyone spot the plane in the background in dany's first scene with drogon, how was that missed or was it a plane?? maybe a new dragon:)

also sansa left the tower as soon as we see the battle about to begin to get back to her room i imagine, how long does it take to go from the tower to her room as the gates are reopen when she is still trying to get back, i assume the battle did not last 15 mins, sloppy writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

some great reactions
    I've never really had time for 'reaction' videos to be honest - sure, with quick youtube videos it makes sense. But I just don't believe that all of those people regularly sit down and record themselves watching television (as much as I do like Gogglebox for the crap that it is, that's a little different...). Even if they do, they obviously are doing it with the overriding intention of over-acting for attention; see man on couch in black t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

All these GoT reaction video's started out with The Book Readers secretly recording Non-Book Readers reactions to The Red Wedding - it was hilarious and was shown on alot of American Chat Shows..

Can tell these people however are clearly playing for the camera, rather sad tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When Cersei was on the steps I expected her to walk away and the second she was free to send in the death squads and spill blood on the streets. Key Church figures would have their throats slit like Roberts bastards in an earlier season.

Ok it didn't happen but I still expect it to happen next season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

A ridiculous amount of cliffhangers crammed into one episode. They even had a cliffhanger of two people jumping from a cliff. Hope Theon and Sansa aim for the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

double-cersei_3342299b.jpg

I didn't really notice too much at the time (probably a combination of just finishing the morning shift and not wearing my glasses) but that shot above shows the huge difference between the close up and the wide shots of Cersei

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Yeah, Lena Heady wasn't walking named through that street, it was a body double.

Hope Theon and Sansa aim for the bushes.

giphy.gif

They are dead..... They have to be.

If the writers think people can survive a 100ft jump into a foot of snow, they have completely lost the run of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

giphy.gif

They are dead..... They have to be.

If the writers think people can survive a 100ft jump into a foot of snow, they have completely lost the run of themselves.

I thought it looked like a bank of snow built up against the wall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Roar wrote: »

I didn't really notice too much at the time (probably a combination of just finishing the morning shift and not wearing my glasses) but that shot above shows the huge difference between the close up and the wide shots of Cersei

Actually the difference in the hair was quite jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Right, so my review of this season

It would have been a lot better if they hadn't gone to Dorne.

Cut all the boring pointless dorne scenes out and just have a raven arrive saying yer wan had killed Marcella in revenge for Oberyn and the overall plot could have be exactly unchanged.

I think the reason why there was so much filler is that the writers don't want to advance the plot to places where the books have not yet been. All the cliffhangers at the end are because the writers genuinely don't know where they're going with the story because GRRM hasn't told them what his own intentions are.

I think reek's change of heart was because he was standing there listening to how Ramsey was gonna do the same thing to Sansa as he did to Theon, and this was enough to snap him out of the fear that kept him 'loyal' to Ramsey.

Also, I don't think he was too fond of Myranda and would have enjoyed taking her out.

I hope the writers and George get together and agree on the definite story lines for the next 2 seasons so that we can finish this series strongly. I also hope that there are only 2 more series and that they don't keep dragging this out. If the white walkers don't appear again in the first 2 or 3 episodes of the next series, we'll know that they're going nowhere with the plot and are just time wasting.

Puddle Q wrote: »
    I thought it looked like a bank of snow built up against the wall

Even if it had, it wouldn't have mattered.
    Several feet of drifted snow wouldnt help much.

Reek killed the crazy girl with the bow, who fell about 15m into the courtyard.

Reek & Sansa climbed higher to the top of the battlements & then dropped further as the outside of the castle is lower than the interior courtyard.

I'm no physicist, but say, 80kgs falling 25m would need a lot of snow to prevent death or severe injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

A ridiculous amount of cliffhangers crammed into one episode. They even had a cliffhanger of two people jumping from a cliff. Hope Theon and Sansa aim for the bushes.

Yea, Sansa, Theon and Stannis could all in theory still be alive and Jon Snow could be brought back from the dead.

If all 4 don't die then people dying won't be believable anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Even if it had, it wouldn't have mattered.
    Several feet of drifted snow wouldnt help much.

Reek killed the crazy girl with the bow, who fell about 15m into the courtyard.

Reek & Sansa climbed higher to the top of the battlements & then dropped further as the outside of the castle is lower than the interior courtyard.

I'm no physicist, but say, 80kgs falling 25m would need a lot of snow to prevent death or severe injury.
    Not to mention there was apparently a thaw thanks to the fire magic. How was there still all that snow about? And how exactly that thaw benefited Stannis is beyond me also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Roar wrote: »

I had at least one "uncanny valley" moment during that scene and my CGI detector alarm went off.

Not to mention there was apparently a thaw thanks to the fire magic. How was there still all that snow about? And how exactly that thaw benefited Stannis is beyond me also.

Indeed.

Had the snow been feet deep, the massed cavalry of the Bolton's couldn't have been used.

The battle about 1km outside the castle appeared to be in a couple inches of snow.

I'm sure Sansa & Reek are alive.... Its just that they shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Indeed.

Had the snow been feet deep, the massed cavalry of the Bolton's couldn't have been used.

The battle about 1km outside the castle appeared to be in a couple inches of snow.

I'm sure Sansa & Reek are alive.... Its just that they shouldn't be.

I was full sure the end of the saga would be Dani and Jon Snow getting together and the dragons defeating the white walkers once and for all.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else notice Ser Jorah channeling Dougal from Father Ted during his conversation with Tyrion?

352173.png

Advertisement