Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

nm wrote: »
    Yea, Sansa, Theon and Stannis could all in theory still be alive and Jon Snow could be brought back from the dead.

If all 4 don't die then people dying won't be believable anymore.

Sansa and Theon aren't dead.

You'd be surprised how good snow is at breaking a fall.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0115-daredevil-makes-incredible-leap-off-building-into-ground-and-survives/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I was full sure the end of the saga would be Dani and Jon Snow getting together and the dragons defeating the white walkers once and for all.
    This looks like being Brann's job? They showed him warging (or at least viewing through) one of Dany's dragons earlier on. Three dragons don't look like any match for that ice zombie army anyway TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I don't know that to do with myself today after being left on that cliff by that last episode!

Like a year away now aswell to go outside and sh1t, might just rewatch the whole shabang again like this time every other year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was full sure the end of the saga would be Dani and Jon Snow getting together and the dragons defeating the white walkers once and for all.

Same here. Everything else (politics of Kings Landing, war of the 5 kings etc) seemed like it was all going to be largely irrelevant when the White Walkers and Dragons stories came to a head, led by Jon and Dany respectively.

My only hope is the fact that Stannis' red priestess (can't spell her name) is at Castle Black and has already shown an interest in Jon. Then again, we didn't see Bran at all this season, but maybe he'll be the one to move the White Walkers story forward next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Even if it had, it wouldn't have mattered.
    Several feet of drifted snow wouldnt help much.

Reek killed the crazy girl with the bow, who fell about 15m into the courtyard.

Reek & Sansa climbed higher to the top of the battlements & then dropped further as the outside of the castle is lower than the interior courtyard.

I'm no physicist, but say, 80kgs falling 25m would need a lot of snow to prevent death or severe injury.

If Anna and Kristoff in Frozen can do it then so can Sansa and Theon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

At the risk of asking a stupid question, why did they use a body double for Cersei's scene? And at the risk of answering my own question stupidly, was it as simple and superficial as they wanted her to have a model's body?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

At the risk of asking a stupid question, why did they use a body double for Cersei's scene? And at the risk of answering my own question stupidly, was it as simple and superficial as they wanted her to have a model's body?
    Lena Headley was pregnant at the time of filming

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lena Headley was pregnant at the time of filming

Well, that's as good an explanation as I could have hoped for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

What was the Miranda one babbling about with the bow and arrow in her hand.
    Were she to kill Sansa then Ramsey would have her flayed, she seemed to be doing lots of talking & making no sense.

Stannis, the greatest military commander of our time getting ass whooped in a turkey shoot, Shireen all for nothing.
    Have to believe that Brianne put him out of his misery.

Many believing that the red witch just rolling into Castle Black hours before Jon's murder is too coincidental, I think they might be right, we'll see although she obviously rode the Derby winner as Davos had left days previous & only just arrived.

Why didn't Jamie turn the boat around the minute Mycella started bleeding ?.
    He would have known through Bronn that these poisons have antidotes.
    The sandsnakes are the single worse thing to appear on this show, the writers will march these off to Poochieland once they realise the online hate for these characters.

I haven't a single clue what Ayra has been doing all season but nice to see peado boy get one.

The Cersei scene really captured how harrowing it was from her perspective.
    The CGI only slipped once or twice.
    Wait until she finds out her daughter is dead now too.
    I see the Mountain is black now too, interesting development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

There's a clause in her contract saying no nudity. Emelia Clarke (Dany) was the same. They were getting bothered about the amount nudey scene that maybe expected of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

lbj666 wrote: »
    There's a clause in her contract saying no nudity. Emelia Clarke (Dany) was the same. They were getting bothered about the amount nudey scene that maybe expected of them.

Dany was happy enough getting it all out in earlier series !

Brancott wrote: »
    What was the Miranda one babbling about with the bow and arrow in her hand.
    Were she to kill Sansa then Ramsey would have her flayed, she seemed to be doing lots of talking & making no sense.

Stannis, the greatest military commander of our time getting ass whooped in a turkey shoot, Shireen all for nothing.
    Have to believe that Brianne put him out of his misery.

Many believing that the red witch just rolling into Castle Black hours before Jon's murder is too coincidental, I think they might be right, we'll see although she obviously rode the Derby winner as Davos had left days previous & only just arrived.

Why didn't Jamie turn the boat around the minute Mycella started bleeding ?.
    He would have known through Bronn that these poisons have antidotes.
    The sandsnakes are the single worse thing to appear on this show, the writers will march these off to Poochieland once they realise the online hate for these characters.

I haven't a single clue what Ayra has been doing all season but nice to see peado boy get one.

The Cersei scene really captured how harrowing it was from her perspective.
    The CGI only slipped once or twice.
    Wait until she finds out her daughter is dead now too.
    I see the Mountain is black now too, interesting development.
    All good points. Why was Stannis determined to die to capture Winterfell when he had no problem turning tail at King's Landing? Even if every horse in Westeros hadn't been at Winterfell, he must have known well his few hundred knackered men couldn't lay siege to a hen house.
    I can't see why the Watch would take the Red Witch in either. They must know she's bad news and had some affiliation with Jon?
    Don't see yer wan in Dorne getting away with that poisoning. Waaay too obvious to everybody exactly what happened, even if Bronn didn't mention the poison to Jaime. Maybe she doesn't care, but that's surely her and her coven of tarts dead on the spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not sure if Lena Heady ever had a nude scene in GOT?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure if Lena Heady ever had a nude scene in GOT?

He meant to say Dany not Dang.

Also, Stannis had the worst camp security possible. Guys wander in and out burning the place down and stealing all the horses (and nobody thought to tell him until breakfast was finished?). This was an army so massive that the wildlings surrendered on the spot to them, and only a handful make it to Winterfell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Even if an actor didn't have a no-nudity clause, that wasn't your average nude scene. I don't think there are many out there who would be comfortable doing it; outdoor setting, hundreds of extras, that absolute bitch shouting "Shame" at you the whole way, it wouldn't be easy.

Also, that septa one reminded me of all the evil nuns I've ever known. I hope Cersei kills her slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don’t think Jon is dead, or rather that he will stay dead. There is no other reason for Red-Riding-Hood to be at Castle Black other than to intervene in this situation. She learnt from Thoros that resurrection is possible, and has probably found a way to do it herself. I don’t like it, as I think the fact that Jon was stupid enough to walk into that trap was out of character for him, and him being resurrected anyway makes it all feel very cheap.

If he is not dead, it renders so much of the previous few seasons kind of pointless. So much of our time was invested in Jon. Was he just a vehicle through which to show us the wall, the white-walkers etc. I really hope not.

I know other characters have died, but none of this significance. There are several characters I believed were “untouchable” as they are so significant to the overall series that they will surely play a part in its conclusion – Jon was one, Dany and Tyrion the others.

I do feel a little disillusioned at the moment. The series started off being ostensibly about the Starks and in particular, the Stark children.
    Now Jon is dead, but may be resurrected
    Sansa appears to be dead and it will be extremely iffy if she is not
    I’m not sure what is going on with Arya, but at least she is still being pro-active
    Bran is the one character left out of the entire season. I hoped the 5th season would end with a glimpse of what he has been doing.

But no, a series of ridiculous cliff-hangers and a year to wait. Nothing has been resolved. It’s like the ending to an episode of EastEnders.

Feels like the series has lost all of its focus. I have only read the books up as far as a Storm of Swords, and I’m now kind of reluctant to read the others.
    Are the Starks, who opened the whole series with the discovery of the direwolves and helped carry the plot along for so long now completely irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭boccy23

Overall, very dissapointed with this episode and the series in general. Too many bit part stories with no consistent plot for any of them. Too much left in the air "just to have a cliff hanger" type ending.

Thought it was very obvious this series that GRRM didn't write them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Also, Stannis had the worst camp security possible. Guys wander in and out burning the place down and stealing all the horses (and nobody thought to tell him until breakfast was finished?). This was an army so massive that the wildlings surrendered on the spot to them, and only a handful make it to Winterfell?

This has annoyed me all season, tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Knex. wrote: »
    This has annoyed me all season, tbh.

That's been a problem since season one, armies are always referred to as being absolutely huge but when we see them on camera it looks like only a couple of hundred people. I remember thinking the same about the Dothraki and Robb Stark's armies.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's been a problem since season one, armies are always referred to as being absolutely huge but when we see them on camera it looks like only a couple of hundred people. I remember thinking the same about the Dothraki and Robb Stark's armies.

That's true, actually.

This season has brought me close to a breaking point, though, in terms of rushed storylines, inconsistencies, ridiculous coincidences, illogical nature of some things, and then just the pointlessness of screen time for scenarios such as Dorne.

I'll still watch next season, as GoT has been some of the best TV I have watched since its introduction four/five years ago, but I know I'm not exactly excited for next season now, or expecting a whole lot, and that's a shame.

Game of Thrones is starting to remind me of the Wheel of Time series.

Great for the first few books, then the culmination of annoyances grew too large, and I couldn't make it past the fifth book.

I know that series has its fans as well, massively so, but I felt the time investment required to finish it, for the way I saw it going, wasn't worth it.

I really hope next season of GoT doesn't evoke the same response from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Jon's last words were "Ghost" ( the direwolf ) so its possible that he has warg skills like his bro?

When Mellisandra met Ayra earlier in the series her words were suggesting that something was going to happen to her eyes in the future, so blindness?

Still enthralled by the series and looking forward to next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Berty44 wrote: »
    When Mellisandra met Ayra earlier in the series her words were suggesting that something was going to happen to her eyes in the future, so blindness?

Interesting. I googled..

"I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness, eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes... eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again."

I remember it now, the assumption was she meant other peoples eyes, as in Ayra would kill them. But now who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Berty44 wrote: »
    Jon's last words were "Ghost" ( the direwolf ) so its possible that he has warg skills like his bro?

Still enthralled by the series and looking forward to next year.

Jon's last words were "Ollie" before the wee scrote stabbed him.

And Melisandre said they're were eyes inside Arya's eyes, and Arya would shut them forever.

Knex. wrote: »
    Game of Thrones is starting to remind me of the Wheel of Time series.
    Well there's one word I was hoping I would never have to use to describe GoT but I'm afraid a lot of the pointlessness in this season is edging me close to doing so... soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Jon's last words were "Ollie" before the wee scrote stabbed him.

And Melisandre said they're were eyes inside Arya's eyes, and Arya would shut them forever.

On Thonecast I thought they said that his last words were Ghost, however on looking up that appears to be his last words in the BOOK, it was as you point out "Ollie" on the tv.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I had this last season. 100,000 wildlings going ape****... then about 100 horses turn up and they drop tools in a hearbeat. The sense of scale was waaay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I had this last season. 100,000 wildlings going ape****... then about 100 horses turn up and they drop tools in a hearbeat. The sense of scale was waaay off.

There was way way more than a hundred horses in that scene. There was probably 50 horses in each bunch of the cavalry that charged them.

Then at winterfell.
    Hundreds of horses died in the fires in the overnight attack by Ramseys 20 men. So stannis' cavalry was more or less halfed overnight
    Then the rest fled a few nigths later so Stannis was left with foot soldiers that just like the wildings didn't have a prayer coming up against a cavalry.

The numbers do add up more or less.

This has me a bit confused , was it the boltons own cavalry that charged stannis or were the sell swords involved too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't know how people keep reporting that Jon's last word was 'ghost'. I mean I know that's what he says in the book but it's clear as day in the show that he says 'Ollie' - yet people keep referring to his last word as 'ghost' everywhere, even on TV only forums. Rather annoying.

Advertisement