Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It could be a faulty plug/psu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

neacy69 wrote: »
    ok so i seem like some kind of dope here and I've misplaced the user guide

i've plugged in the power cable and the hdmi cable and used the remote control to turn it on with red power button but nothing is happening...i cant see a physical power button. Have i missed something or have I a dodgy unit....??

it might be a remote fault or the unit , you can try another remote and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Allyall wrote: »
    It could be a faulty plug/psu.

I happened to just leave the unit plugged in while I was away making a cuppa and when I came back the unit was hot and the plug was very got to touch. I wouldn't leave it plugged in it was that hot

I happened to just leave the unit plugged in while I was away making a cuppa and when I came back the unit was hot and the plug was very got to touch. I wouldn't leave it plugged in it was that hot

Well that solves that.... Just had my box go up in smoke... I just replugged it in and had a loud pop followed by smoke... Back onto seller now.
    Careful lads

Anything that comes from China is probably best used with an adaptor with a fuse, or an EU QC passed Plug.

The cheap Chinese plugs that come with all cheap/unbranded items are very faulty. I think there is a thread somewhere here from a year or two ago.
    Somebody took a few of them apart on a Russian blog and showed all of the different ways, how easy it is to have them blow.

TBH, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any fires directly blaming one of these boxes, or worse.
    The box sellers are playing a numbers game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Well that solves that.... Just had my box go up in smoke... I just replugged it in and had a loud pop followed by smoke... Back onto seller now.
    Careful lads

Thats' really disappointing.

Anything that comes from China is probably best used with an adaptor with a fuse, or an EU QC passed Plug.

The cheap Chinese plugs that come with all cheap/unbranded items are very faulty. I think there is a thread somewhere here from a year or two ago.
    Somebody took a few of them apart on a Russian blog and showed all of the different ways, how easy it is to have them blow.

TBH, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any fires directly blaming one of these boxes, or worse.
    The box sellers are playing a numbers game.

Thanks for the headsup, I will get different adapter although mine is working fine. Still wouldnt risk it.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Thanks for the headsup, I will get different adapter although mine is working fine. Still wouldnt risk it.

Dealz have them cheap. I think it's 3 for €1.45.

Cheap enough on Amazon too. Not sure I'd get them from ebay as they may still be Chinese.

@Neacy69 - It's a pain in the ass, but the seller will/should replace it easy enough.

^^ Great, will get them tomorrow.

Tomtop having a sale. Nothing great yet, but MXQ (original) is €20.69 delivered. No extra charges when it arrives.
    My most recent order from them was on the 23rd of May, and it arrived here on the 3rd of June, which was pretty quick.

• Advertisement

Got a refund. Took a few emails to get it clear to them what the issue was as they kept asking for videos and pictures of the issue!
    I was gonna purchase a replacement but it seems to be out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Didnt try on wireless. I will try tonight or tomorrow.
    Hi Coldfire,
    Did you get anywhere with it on wifi?

I ordered one of these through Gearbest, and I'm expecting it in the next week or so, price was slightly dearer, but I'd a load of points to use so it worked out more or less the same.
    Where I'm thinking of using it, I'd prefer to use it wireless .........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

Tomtop having a sale. Nothing great yet, but MXQ (original) is €20.69 delivered. No extra charges when it arrives.
    My most recent order from them was on the 23rd of May, and it arrived here on the 3rd of June, which was pretty quick.

Did you have a code Ally,shipping is being added during checkout?

Invincible wrote: »
    Did you have a code Ally,shipping is being added during checkout?

No I didn't have a code, I ordered something else and shipping was free anyway. But I remember this coming up before on another forum.
    I think if you just select paypal, instead of 'Continue to Checkout' shipping will be free.

EDIT - Code VE5OFF gives 5% off all items.

Hi Coldfire,

I ordered one of these through Gearbest, and I'm expecting it in the next week or so, price was slightly dearer, but I'd a load of points to use so it worked out more or less the same.

Ah sorry, forgot about it. I will give it a try tonight.

I have it wired and its working great so far. No issues at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Ah sorry, forgot about it. I will give it a try tonight.

I have it wired and its working great so far. No issues at all.

Did you change the power cable?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Did you change the power cable?

No just got an Irish Adater from Mr Price for €1.50. It's a good quality adapter. Not using the one that came with it.

No idea about the shipping times or anything (I think they're slow) about these.
    If somebody wants to go for it - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Z68-TV-Box-RK3368-Octa-core-Android-5-1-Dual-Band-WiFi-BT-2GB-16GB-Media-Player/322140360240/

Might be Late July before you see it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

No idea about the shipping times or anything (I think they're slow) about these.
    If somebody wants to go for it - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Z68-TV-Box-RK3368-Octa-core-Android-5-1-Dual-Band-WiFi-BT-2GB-16GB-Media-Player/322140360240/

Cheers, just ordered one. Will let you know if or when it arrives what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Is it possible to view content through an android box onto a wall projector. Thanks for any help or links leading to how it's done.

• Advertisement

hadepsx wrote: »
    Is it possible to view content through an android box onto a wall projector. Thanks for any help or links leading to how it's done.

Yes, you just connect it as you would anything else, HDMI canle if the projector has a HDMI Port, if not use the RCA cable that many boxes come with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

ordered one some nice reviews...

Hi Coldfire,

Tested the wifi there. I would say its average. Getting around 18-20meg on different tests. Played around with some live and movie streams, didnt notice any buffering.

It's only 2.4mhz tough. I have both 5 and 2.4mhz SSIDs active. It didn't pick up 5mhz.

FYI: Netflix has a new speedtest. Just open fast.com in browser. Works well :)

The price looks unreal. Nice little bargain if it comes through. Need one box, very tempted to order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

Ordered one instead of last link you posted because shipping even with PayPal was pushing it close to duty charges :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Allyall wrote:
    No idea about the shipping times or anything (I think they're slow) about these. If somebody wants to go for it -

Allyall wrote:

sounds we might not get it....it's removed now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Tested the wifi there. I would say its average. Getting around 18-20meg on different tests. Played around with some live and movie streams, didnt notice any buffering.

It's only 2.4mhz tough. I have both 5 and 2.4mhz SSIDs active. It didn't pick up 5mhz.

Yeah, I saw where it was only 2.4Ghz, that will probably do for where I'm putting it, I've another box with 802.11ac that I can force to use the 5Ghz channel, leaving 2,4Ghz free for this.

How does the 18-20Mg compare to your wired connection?

Yeah, I saw where it was only 2.4Ghz, that will probably do for where I'm putting it, I've another box with 802.11ac that I can force to use the 5Ghz channel, leaving 2,4Ghz free for this.

How does the 18-20Mg compare to your wired connection?

There's not much comparision with the wired connection really.

Wired sppedtest hits around 200-210Mg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

fast.com 2.7, speedof.me 3.96, speedtest.com 6.70, all in the space of a minute, i believe the first one, i do not believe the third one, also the second one has to be doubtfull

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    sounds we might not get it....it's removed now...
    Because it was Rockchip I thought it might be the Sale value, as that box yesterday was averaging at around €35. It was for sale as low as €9.99 on some stores (removed now too). So I looked around, and it seemed to have a lot of people selling it from €18 - €25. They all seem to have been removed now (at least 20 or 30 of them), and it's averaging around €47.
    If it was an attempted scam, it was a big one.

Advertisement