Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Allyall wrote: »
    +1 on the MK808B plus. They are pretty much an (original) MXQ (Assuming they are original MK808B Plus's) without an ethernet port or Remote.
    Easily sorted though.
    A decent remote can be bought for €10+ (better than the crud that comes with the MXQ)
    and an Ethernet Dongle for maybe €3.

But, personally, I can't stand dealing with that store. Although that does seem to be the cheapest around - which isn't surprising at the moment they're in the middle/end of a massive campaign to win back all of their customers that have left them, and have paid to get unbanned from many forums.
    Take advantage of that offer, but I wouldn't recommend returning.

I'd imagine they are original ones, but be aware, an awful lot on that site isn't.

I've bought loads of them from Gearbest in the past and never had a problem, so pretty sure they are original. However I agree they wouldn't be my first choice of company to deal with, it's just that at $20 it was a steal for a very reliable device, so I bought a couple at that price. However that deal is over now and they are back up to $30, so wouldn't recommend now.

I just use and give a wireless mouse with each device and it does the job as most people wouldn't be doing a whole lot of typing or playing games. As regards the Ethernet dongles, have you found any that work above 7mbits on Android? I've tested a few of the cheap ones and while they have Android drivers, they all seemed to have that 7mbit limit. The only one I found so far was an expensive one from ebay which I'm using myself, that was guaranteed to work at higher speeds. Indeed I get 40mbits from it. The limited ones are pointless as, if your router is that close that you can wire it, you would get better Wifi speeds anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

I bought one at 19.99 but didn't get confirmation yet got confirmation on shipping of the air mouse alright. Pretty useless if they don't follow up and ship the box.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I bought one at 19.99 but didn't get confirmation yet got confirmation on shipping of the air mouse alright. Pretty useless if they don't follow up and ship the box.

You should have got confirmation of the orders, the shipping confirmation usually take 3 or 4 days. I didn't get any shipping confirmation yet either, that's normal. They are quite slow as are Geekbuying.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Blade wrote: »
    You should have got confirmation of the orders, the shipping confirmation usually take 3 or 4 days. I didn't get any shipping confirmation yet either, that's normal. They are quite slow as are Geekbuying.

Cool I dud get order confirmation. I shall relax now for 3 or 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Del007

Great deal on the good old reliable MK808b Plus from Gearbest at 19.99 US Dollars. You have to take the US plug though but you can add an adapter from them for $1.50 as I did in case they don't send one. Always handy to have anyway.

I've been through dozens of these and I still swear by them for reliability. They never overheat like the newer model S905 and despite having higher spec boxes sitting here in front of me, I still use one myself as there's nothing wrong with it!

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_126894.html

UK adapter if needed here:
    http://www.gearbest.com/iphone-cables-adapters/pp_311119.html

$30 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 johnnykildare

WiFi or wired connection ?

Wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnnykildare

WiFi or wired connection ?

Wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I've bought loads of them from Gearbest in the past and never had a problem, so pretty sure they are original. However I agree they wouldn't be my first choice of company to deal with, it's just that at $20 it was a steal for a very reliable device, so I bought a couple at that price. However that deal is over now and they are back up to $30, so wouldn't recommend now.

I just use and give a wireless mouse with each device and it does the job as most people wouldn't be doing a whole lot of typing or playing games. As regards the Ethernet dongles, have you found any that work above 7mbits on Android? I've tested a few of the cheap ones and while they have Android drivers, they all seemed to have that 7mbit limit. The only one I found so far was an expensive one from ebay which I'm using myself, that was guaranteed to work at higher speeds. Indeed I get 40mbits from it. The limited ones are pointless as, if your router is that close that you can wire it, you would get better Wifi speeds anyway!

When you have problems with them, they are the worst company in the world to deal with, but it is hard to look away from some of the offers they had for the past week (which was to win people back).. Those prices for that were admittedly very good.
    But anyway..

This is a good ethernet Dongle - http://www.banggood.com/ASIX-AX8872B-100Mbps-USB-2_0-to-RJ45-Lan-Network-Ethernet-Adapter-Card-p-920089.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

coldfire1x wrote: »
    On the speedtest (wired), Minix hit about 165mbps while Beelink hit 210mbps. :eek: LAN gigabit performance definitely better on Beelink.

Have you had any problems with the wired connection?
    Mine just won't connect I think it might be broke. Any way to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Have you had any problems with the wired connection?
    Mine just won't connect I think it might be broke. Any way to test?

Is it the Beelink one you are talking about? No problem with the wired connection at all. I have it wired and its working away fine.

Make sure there's no fault with the wire or port on the router. Try connecting you laptop with the same wire.

If everything is fine then you can try resetting your box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Is it the Beelink one you are talking about? No problem with the wired connection at all. I have it wired and its working away fine.

Make sure there's no fault with the wire or port on the router. Try connecting you laptop with the same wire.

If everything is fine then you can try resetting your box.

I got the one on ebay you linked before yeah.

I figured it out. I can't turn off the wifi. Just had to delete the one I had set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I finally set up the Beelink linked earlier in the thread and after using it for 15 minutes it's already saying my cache is full. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Somebody has a stand set up in Tesco Wexford selling Android boxes with a big cardboard display which has pictures of a lot of recent movies etc.
    It's right beside the Sky stand,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote: »
    Somebody has a stand set up in Tesco Wexford selling Android boxes with a big cardboard display which has pictures of a lot of recent movies etc.
    It's right beside the Sky stand,lol.

duh!

They're hardly advertising anything other than the box itself, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They're hardly advertising anything other than the box itself, are they?

Nothing specific but the poster has pictures of movies.They claim the box will work ok on a 0.8Mb/s connection - I wouldn't like to try watch a live stream with that connection.

I think this is the seller: http://www.mysmartcloudtv.com/en/

I think people are misunderstanding the grey area about streaming content :)

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I finally set up the Beelink linked earlier in the thread and after using it for 15 minutes it's already saying my cache is full. Anyone else experience this?

Did you download anything?

Install diskusage to see whats taking up space. Also clear cache from storage settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Just ordered one, 27euro all in. Already have the standard MXQ and its works perfect, so I thought id get another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is that S905 chip worth it? Is it better than the S812?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Blade wrote:
    "We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won: 322140360240 - Z68 TV Box RK3368 Octa-core Android 5.1 Dual Band WiFi BT 2GB+16GB Media Player

Blade wrote:
    Yeah, I got an email from ebay to say they removed the item, but they're still saying it might arrive, some hope of that!

Blade wrote:
    Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Center. You can learn how to do this, plus find timelines for opening cases, at:"

lads anyone managed refund ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

F**king GB links everywhere, they must be thrilled that they paid boards.ie for the subforum. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

tharmor wrote: »

Couldn't get anywhere on eBay site, so rang PayPal and explained, agent said he would contact seller and give them a week to respond, they've since emailed me and asked did I want to continue with claim, I confirmed I did, status now shows claim that escalated.

Edit: I've got an email from PayPal since to say they've recovered the money and found in my favour, allow 5 working days for funds to reach my account.

Not yet, the status on my claim says that the seller has until the 26th to reply, so I'd imagine I should get a refund soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Can someone recommend me an android box that updates automatically and that has Kodi, Live TV etc pre-installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Kodi is installed on all boxes that are sold. The selection of add ons however is a matter for the seller and what they have chosen to install. If you read back on the thread, there have been multiple boxes recommended from reputable sellers and I'm sure there is something to match your criteria and budget.

Three things you need to remember though are (1) you get what you pay for (2) add ons come and add ons go so will need to keep an eye on some Kodi forums to see what's happening and (3) make sure you do your research so you know exactly what you are buying and how to use it properly.

This is not aimed at you personally, but the amount of people I see and hear complaining about the boxes not working when all they have done is bought some cheap clone and they don't know how to maintain and operate it properly is staggering - the problem is them, not the box!

Anyway, best of luck with your search - feel free to ask for opinions when you find something you want to buy, but remember that we can't discuss add ons or the content on them in this thread. ;)

Got my refund today.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any cheap Chinese versions of a dream box and does anybody know where id look for one.
    Got my Neo Minix X8 from Fasttech. Chinese company. Thing is great. About 4 week delivery time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Too many forums accepting their cash. It's hard to blame the individual poster for doing the same.

Do you reckon it's a clone? The X8 is a few models old as well, would have gone for something newer than that...

Advertisement