Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

android is better than smart tvs for iptv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭BandMember

I just checked speeds.

My Vodafone 4g is 90+Mb

My possible Fibre speed with Vodafone is 15+Mb.

Unless I've done the Tests wrong Midband is the only option.

That Vodafone speed might seem impressive, but I guarantee you that you won't get near that during peak times - it may even slow to a crawl. That's always the case - just look at the threads in the Midband section or the Imagine thread. You'll see the reality of 4G right there.
    Is 750gb considered low.

How much use would I get from 750gb in general

If you've a few people in the house and you're all streaming, downloading, gaming, watching 4K etc. then you will struggle to stay within that and probably won't. Plus, your ISP may throttle if they see you are burning through data every month.
    LillySV wrote: »
    Hi I’m tryin to decide on Siro and whether to choose Vodafone or sky to offer it ... I see you seem to be giving Vodafone siro a thumps up... u finding it really good? U don’t know anyone with shy to compare service to ?

My advice would be to choose neither. I know a few people who had Vodafone but had to get rid of it as they were unable to stream and were getting constantly blocked from a lot of things that you would use these boxes for. Sky have stepped up their game and gone the same way - following on from the major restrictions they have on their UK equipment and network.
    LillySV wrote: »
    Don’t know much about vpn but if I paid for vpn would that hide it ?

You'd get a good VPN for around $3 a month or so. However, most will slow your speeds so you would want to have a very fast connection. They're well worth it, but you shouldn't really need one to be honest.
    Framed10 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can give me a bit of direction.
    I have a minix box, its about 4 years old approx. I think its this model, MINIX Neo X8-H Plus if I recall correctly.
    I bought it via recommendations here for options on adverts.ie

Anyway I accidentally reset it to factory settings :(
    It came pre-loaded with apps so I think I've wiped them now.

So my question is would I be better to purchase something newer more up to date? An if so what are the latest boxes?

The Minix X-8H Plus was a great box (had one myself) but, unfortunately, is no longer much use. It's 4.4.2 android and you cannot update it so Kodi and most apps are not compatible with it anymore. My advice would be to be grateful for the years you got out of it and upgrade to a new box that will give you similar service. Personally, I'd go for the Nvidia Shield FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Framed10 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can give me a bit of direction.
    I have a minix box, its about 4 years old approx. I think its this model, MINIX Neo X8-H Plus if I recall correctly.
    I bought it via recommendations here for options on adverts.ie

Anyway I accidentally reset it to factory settings :(
    It came pre-loaded with apps so I think I've wiped them now.

So my question is would I be better to purchase something newer more up to date? An if so what are the latest boxes?

Or could I try an load it again myself (had Kodi-which I never got the hang of and other apps I probably cant mention here)

I have an LG smart TV- 2 years old

any assistance would be very grateful

Buy a new box,2ndhand Nvidia shield will do you for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Eir have a new deal €29.99 for 750gb. 12 month contract
    + Amazon Prime
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/broadband/

Three have unlimited for €20-30 (€20 first 6 months) on a 24 month contract or you can chance using €20 phone sim and buy own router.
    https://www.three.ie/plans/mobile-broadband/bill-pay/?&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx_RwLD16w1NX0uoUO1YDQSdHSGbhtW-YaxmzegyYNymr3PRAk5VHOcaAj5VEALw_wcB

Im about to order either a Mi Box S or Mecool Pro depending on availaibility but before I do would a Firestick be better considering the Eir Mobile broadband deal above has Amazon Prime free for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Im about to order either a Mi Box S or Mecool Pro depending on availaibility but before I do would a Firestick be better considering the Eir Mobile broadband deal above has Amazon Prime free for 12 months.

And what’s the speed on 3?

• Advertisement

And what’s the speed on 3?

Threes coverage drops from time to time so Ill go with Eir + threes contract is 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Amazon prime is pretty poor for Ireland. I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in who you use for broadband.

.red. wrote: »
    Amazon prime is pretty poor for Ireland. I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in who you use for broadband.

Ok so thats the firestick option gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Ok so thats the firestick option gone.

The firestick does pretty much anything smart TVs or Android do. Great value

Is it better to buy from Amazon, Honorbuy or Geekbuying if there are boxes on all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The firestick does pretty much anything smart TVs or Android do. Great value
    A lot of the apps that we may not speak about, release a 'firestick' version for firesticks or make it so that the main version also works with firesticks (which also work on other lower devices).
    Without those versions, firesticks are p*ss poor at gathering links to streams the way those apps work, unless you are accompanying it with any one of the paid services.
    There are one or two apps that continue to do so, but a lot of the devs that have given up have said that the firestick takes up too much time.
    It's true that the firestick does do all the same things, but mainly because some of the devs continue to work for it.
    With the other services rapidly growing, they will stop working on that end and will come down to the firestick gathering the links like older boxes.
    Not sure if you have compared using the same app on a lower spec/older device vs. a newer/higher spec. The links are not as many.. When there are dead links, the firestick shows even less until devs have removed them all.
    Even with the paid services (especially lately) you are not guaranteed anything (unless you convert them yourself).

TL:DR - Firesticks are good, but in the not-so-long-term you may be getting less and less links on some apps, even with many of the accompanying paid services.

Suckit wrote: »
    TL:DR - Firesticks are good, but in the not-so-long-term you may be getting less and less links on some apps, even with many of the accompanying paid services.

I read it all. Thanks for the post, I wasn't aware of the significance of using apps with these boxes.

I'm going to order before Lunch. Is there any advantage in ordering from Amazon over Honorbuy, Geekbuying etc.
    Would returns be an issue with Honorbuy or Geekbuying.

I'm a little reluctant to order from Amazon as they sacked the person who organised a strike over poor conditions as fee days ago. I have found them great to deliver in the past though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I read it all. Thanks for the post, I wasn't aware of the significance of using apps with these boxes.

I'm going to order before Lunch. Is there any advantage in ordering from Amazon over Honorbuy, Geekbuying etc.
    Would returns be an issue with Honorbuy or Geekbuying.

I'm a little reluctant to order from Amazon as they sacked the person who organised a strike over poor conditions as fee days ago. I have found them great to deliver in the past though.

Amazon all day long if you are concerned about returns

I find Geekbuying good.
    If something arrives damaged, make a video and send it to them, they usually refund quick enough.
    No comparison with amazon but if you would prefer no to, Geekbuying are decent.

The Mi Box is available on Honorbuy
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1563-xiaomi-mi-box-s-global-version.html

The Mecool Km 9 Pro is not in stock in Euro warehouses on Geekbuying
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-416621.html

However the Mecool Km9 Pro is available from China but Im suspicious because it says shipping is free by Airmail. Can anyone explain this?
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-415834.html

As of now I think ill go with the Honorbuy.

However the Mecool Km9 Pro is available from China but Im suspicious because it says shipping is free by Airmail. Can anyone explain this?
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-415834.html

As of now I think ill go with the Honorbuy.
    Shipping is almost always free from China. The Chinese government subsidise the shipping costs to encourage export and they ship things in bulk.

They have agreements with shipping companies.

For example you can often buy items for €0.60 and still get free shipping. You would imagine the shipping costs more than the item in those cases.

Shipping is almost always free from China. The Chinese government subsidise the shipping costs to encourage export and they ship things in bulk.

They have agreements with shipping companies.

For example you can often buy items for €0.60 and still get free shipping. You would imagine the shipping costs more than the item in those cases.

Thanks, I was never aware of that. Given that the shipping is free do you think the Mecool is the better offer. Deliveries might be longer with geekbuying though.

I've ordered the Mecool KM9 Pro from Geekbuying using a disposable Revolut card.

Thanks to all who helped with advice.

Thanks, I was never aware of that. Given that the shipping is free do you think the Mecool is the better offer. Deliveries might be longer with geekbuying though.
    Sorry hadn't seen that.
    Not sure. Honorbuy might be the better option if they have EU stock.

Sorry hadn't seen that.
    Not sure. Honorbuy might be the better option if they have EU stock.

No problem, I ordered the KM9 Pro from China. EU warehouses were out if stock . I hope it will work here.

Honorbuy only had the Mi Box S so I went the Mecool going by your recommendation earlier in the thread.

Thanks for your help with it. I wouldn't have known what to go for as there are so many boxes

• Advertisement

No problem, I ordered the KM9 Pro from China. EU warehouses were out if stock . I hope it will work here.

Honorbuy only had the Mi Box S so I went the Mecool going by your recommendation earlier in the thread.

Thanks for your help with it. I wouldn't have known what to go for as there are so many boxes

No problem, It will definitely work here. It's likely that you will get an EU plug, so get an adaptor with a fuse, and if they include and adaptor throw it in the bin.

You can get adaptors in Dealz for €1.50

No problem, It will definitely work here. It's likely that you will get an EU plug, so get an adaptor with a fuse, and if they include and adaptor throw it in the bin.

You can get adaptors in Dealz for €1.50

I think I have an old travel adapter. Do you know of any website that has tips on getting the best out of it. Theres not many detailed reviews of it.

What way should I clean and store this when it arrives. I'm thinking of leaving it in a press for a week before use

I think I have an old travel adapter. Do you know of any website that has tips on getting the best out of it. Theres not many detailed reviews of it.

What way should I clean and store this when it arrives. I'm thinking of leaving it in a press for a week before use
    The version of Android that will be running on it is generally self servicing. I wouldn't recommend putting any app cleaner, ram booster or similar on it.
    Don't overload it with loads of apps doing the same things. Apart from that there isn't really much else to taking care of it.

If you mean coronavirus, it has been proven it can't survive the journey from China, but i would still spray and wipe it. It won't do any harm to spray it with dettol and use a wipe. You can spray the box and everything in it without worrying.

It is fine to store it in a cupboard. The only thing really to keep it away from is excessive heat. Not near a radiator or heater etc.
    Netflix and Mecool may have come to an agreement by the time you get it, but if not, download these and install them both without opening them yet
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/klz83or9tsahs/Netflix_Mecool_KM9_Pro
    Once they are installed, open the black one and then close it/exit when the sign in screen appears, from then on use the white version of Netflix.

The version of Android that will be running on it is generally self servicing. I wouldn't recommend putting any app cleaner, ram booster or similar on it.
    Don't overload it with loads of apps doing the same things. Apart from that there isn't really much else to taking care of it.

If you mean coronavirus, it has been proven it can't survive the journey from China, but i would still spray and wipe it. It won't do any harm to spray it with dettol and use a wipe. You can spray the box and everything in it without worrying.

It is fine to store it in a cupboard. The only thing really to keep it away from is excessive heat. Not near a radiator or heater etc.
    Netflix and Mecool may have come to an agreement by the time you get it, but if not, download these and install them both without opening them yet
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/klz83or9tsahs/Netflix_Mecool_KM9_Pro
    Once they are installed, open the black one and then close it/exit when the sign in screen appears, from then on use the white version of Netflix.

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to right the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Anyone heard or used a site called G2A.com?

Relatively cheap for many items.
    There is an Xiaomi Mi Box S at €51.33 (+€11.19 shipping) on sale there, link:
    Xiaomi Mi Box S

Seems to operate like some form of 3rd party seller aggregation site, maybe like Aliexpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So I bought a Mecool KM3 cause my current android box doesn't support Disney+.

And neither does the Mecool KM3.....

what android box can I buy that supports Disney+, Netflix (KM3 also didn't support this), Amazon Prime and will allow installs? Preferably something that also allows me to use a keyboard (so i don't have to direction my way around an onscreen keyboard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

what android box can I buy that supports Disney+, Netflix (KM3 also didn't support this), Amazon Prime and will allow installs? Preferably something that also allows me to use a keyboard (so i don't have to direction my way around an onscreen keyboard)

A Mibox S or Nvidia Shield both support Disney+ in 4K and everything else Netflix, Prime etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Whats the issue with Disney+ and the KM3?

There is a work around to get the netflix app working on Mecool boxes and supposed to be an agreement coming between both parties to sort the isses.

Netflix and Disney+ both work perfectly on Nvidia shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yabadabado wrote: »
    Whats the issue with Disney+ and the KM3?

There is a work around to get the netflix app working on Mecool boxes and supposed to be an agreement coming between both parties to sort the isses.

Netflix and Disney+ both work perfectly on Nvidia shield.

Disney+ doesn't show up in PlayStore on it.

I tried side loading it, but just get a 'can not connect' type error when I open the app (might by the config file didn't load correctly, don't know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Seen a few posts on reddit where people were having issues with it and they seem to have gotten a work around .Might be worth checking out what they did,although I didnt see any mention of that particular box.

Can you cast it to the box ? Not ideal but would do a job until a fix is done.That box has chromecast built in .

Advertisement