Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

derra_121 wrote: »
    Harry hoofer sounds like a spoofer

Thats how I got my name! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Johner1982

Anyone know if the physical and medical tests are carried out on the same day or will it be done over two seperate dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭stoller

Johner1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the physical and medical tests are carried out on the same day or will it be done over two seperate dates?

medical is the last thing you do before signing contracts and accepting offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

TallGlass wrote: »
    Not exactly the question I asked to be honest, I can find my results. I am pretty sure I won't be the only one having issues finding a document that's more than 12 years old, even if put in a safe place. I have my LC result to hand and are original but but have maths failed on the results, all okay other than that one. But it doesn't state if using LC what they want the results to be, I will order my JC results and route around the house for them.
    Hi, did you get an answer to this? Sorry only flicking through this now. If its any consolation I sent in my leaving cert with a fail in maths along with my junior cert in which I passed. I wouldve just sent in my JC except I didnt sit my JC English due to illness so had to use a combination of both certificates. They accepted mine years ago so Im sure nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

stoller wrote: »
    I is worth noting (and this is good for external recruitment) that there are almost none or at least very rare to have dropouts from an external recruitment. The internal recruitment is clearly flawed when you have 1 dropout and 2 more wanting to walk when they are only on the basic training module!!! god help these people come BA and hot fire training!

Ehh.......There was no dropouts in the previous internal recruitment class. There has only been two so you can hardly do a proper comparison

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »
    Ehh.......There was no dropouts in the previous internal recruitment class. There has only been two so you can hardly do a proper comparison

Previous class or no previous class dropouts the facts are 1 person dropped out in this current class and 2 more want to walk but have been talked down for now. It's more than a joke. Plenty of decent people have wanted this for as long as they can remember and then 3 people decide it's not for them after 2 weeks basic! If they wanted it like the rest of us fighting for it in the open comp want it then you wouldn't have people walkin like its nothing

I think the issue is lots of people flirt with the idea and believe its a glamorous job. They quickly realise otherwise when they embark on the journey. It's an exceptionally tough job on many fronts. If people want to quit we can't prevent that but it just highlights the importance of the recruitment campaign! It wouldn't be so bad if others got the opportunity to replace someone who wants out but that isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Previous class or no previous class dropouts the facts are 1 person dropped out in this current class and 2 more want to walk but have been talked down for now. It's more than a joke. Plenty of decent people have wanted this for as long as they can remember and then 3 people decide it's not for them after 2 weeks basic! If they wanted it like the rest of us fighting for it in the open comp want it then you wouldn't have people walkin like its nothing

Hang on............you stated that internal recruits were obviously more prone to dropping out than external ones. I replied with the fact that not one person dropped out of the previous internal recruit class.

You know nothing about the circumstances of the people in training at present yet feel free to comment on their motivations and abilities despite having never done a days recruit training yourself. Over the years people have dropped out at recruit stage. It's not a new phenomonen.

I've stated my advice to people on this thread before but i'll reiterate it.....

Spend your valuable time on what you need to do to be successfull in the competition and forget about what's going on outside of it. What the present recruit class are doing is of no use to you and is frankly nothing but a distraction that you don't need. It's none of your business what's going on in other peoples lives and the decisions they make.

How many people pass out of the present class doesn't matter a s**t to any prospective recruits participating in the external competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Do you know why the person dropped out?
    Do you know if there is a personal reason behind it?
    As somebody earlier said it happens in every line of work, from guards to army. A person might think they really want to do the job then when it comes to it they might realise it's not for them. That's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If people drop out for whatever reason so be it. These things happen, will they the places onto this comp? So 69 people now ? Not that it matters just interested !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

2.5 hours to deadline. Remember lads, only one copy of part 2 and post it freepost to PAS :P

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Left my application in today, plenty dropping them in today. I'm hoping having a trade and a 2.1 honours degree will help me alot. Are we all square again or does the order of merit still count?

jayroyal wrote: »
    Left my application in today, plenty dropping them in today. I'm hoping having a trade and a 2.1 honours degree will help me alot. Are we all square again or does the order of merit still count?

My understanding is that PAS are tasked to present DFB with the candidates they deem most suitable.

After that, DFB form new numbers which will be the PANEL. I don't think being 1 or 500 is relevant in a competency based interview.

Reading today that the snakes in Fianna Fail have changed their tune with the DFB ambulance service provision being handed over to HSE rather than back the DFB retaining it which was their stance previously. This would be a disaster on many levels but also a personal level should I get awarded the job in June. Becoming a Paramedic has always been 1 half of my dream, the other being firefighter. I realise no paramedic training is being conducted for any recruit class this year as they want bums on motors for 4 months after passout but it would be **** coming into the job and that aspect was to be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

stoller wrote:
    Reading today that the snakes in Fianna Fail have changed their tune with the DFB ambulance service provision being handed over to HSE rather than back the DFB retaining it which was their stance previously. This would be a disaster on many levels but also a personal level should I get awarded the job in June. Becoming a Paramedic has always been 1 half of my dream, the other being firefighter. I realise no paramedic training is being conducted for any recruit class this year as they want bums on motors for 4 months after passout but it would be **** coming into the job and that aspect was to be taken away.

I'm in exact same boat as this!!

I think just the internals are not getting paramedic training straight away.

Internal - fire training, first external class fire and paramedic training, internal - back in for paramedic training. All in 2016 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Just dont vote for Finna Fail... Vote Sinn Fein they will have you in a bomb suit in no time Fire Fighter / Paramedic / Bomb Disposal / No water charges.. WIN - WIN if you ask me

KiloDelta wrote: »

Internal - fire training, first external class fire and paramedic training, internal - back in for paramedic training. All in 2016 I think

Possibly. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

DFB will not loose the ambulance. If anything there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

KiloDelta wrote: »

Just out of curiousity has Sinn Fein ever stated they wanted DFB incharge of bomb disposal or is that just a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Horusire wrote:
    Just out of curiousity has Sinn Fein ever stated they wanted DFB incharge of bomb disposal or is that just a joke?

It's a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

FF won't get into power, so wouldn't worry about that one. It's the councilors you need to watch out for.

Why try to change what isnt broken. DFB do a great job doing the service!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Ambulance is going nowhere anytime soon. As someone stated above, it is more likely that DFB will get extra EMS resources in the short to medium term. It does have the potential to be the thin end of a wedge for eventual removal of the service from DFB, but thats a long way off. The fact is that DFB provide the service for far cheaper than NAS could. Couple that with the fact that they dont have enough staff to man their own ambulances at present, it would probably take at least a decade for them to be properly resourced to take on DFB's workload. For any of you that are successful at interview, have no fear you will be manning a DFB ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Surely we'll get interview dates tomorrow/Tuesday?

Got to Garda vet everyone. Id imagine end of week.

Got to Garda vet everyone. Id imagine end of week.
    f
    Am I right in saying interviews are starting on the 22nd?

bono_v wrote: »
    f
    Am I right in saying interviews are starting on the 22nd?

Yup the 22nd is spot on.... interviews are in public appointments office in town.. Casual clothing too I hear.

29th to 18th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Yup the 22nd is spot on.... interviews are in public appointments office in town.. Casual clothing too I hear.

Gotta bring your own ladder!

• Advertisement

My bad! 29th it is!

Advertisement