Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

stoller wrote: »
    I don't think DFB make you write up the competencies like they do in the guards, it's more they fire questions at you on those competencies in the interview.

I assumed you would be asked to give a written example of certain competencies, then send it back to them and on the interview date then, they will ask you to describe the competency you typed up!

Are you saying that won't happen, that on the day they will say just give us an example of team player etc?

Surely we will have to know in advance what competencies they are looking for off us.

Has anyone on this forum been interviewed before for this job? Be interested to see what was involved?

this is exactly what will happen. I have many friends/family gone through the same process. this is what im being told. You will be told the competencies when notified of interview.

I did the airport fire service interview and we were not even given competencies but you could easily work them out from speaking to people who went through the process for the FS before.

Where do you feel you went down on the interview for the Airport job? Was it difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

This is a competition lads!!!! The help you are giving to each other could help them to take your place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

KiloDelta wrote: »
    This is a competition lads!!!! The help you are giving to each other could help them to take your place!

Haha....about time somebody said this!

I'm surprised this forum hasn't gone very quiet sooner.

What till the interviews actually come around, nobody will be saying anything 😅😅

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭stoller

Where do you feel you went down on the interview for the Airport job? Was it difficult?

I didn't fall down ;) it was difficult if you didnt have the answers they wanted! As posted above this is a competition. I won't be saying any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Ah relax there will ya! Nothing wrong with share info, sure its all out there anyway. Besides some people posting might not even be in the comp this time but maybe last time.

Jesus! Some highly strung people here! Given the level of direction and instruction most of us all needed in relation to the forms being filled out, if I was DCC I would not be too happy! :)

May the best men win. Aptitudes and interviews don't always guarantee the best winning. But it's the system we must fit into!

Somebody had to be told where to post the application form to. It's on the very first page you read!!! Are you going to sit the interview for them as well. I can't believe how naive people are being on this forum.

Somebody had to be told where to post the application form to. It's on the very first page you read!!! Are you going to sit the interview for them as well. I can't believe how naive people are being on this forum.

While I respect that, in all honesty if you can't find where the address is and it's on both the form and the email then what harm is it too give out the address. I do see your point however, logic should dictate something else will go amiss if you get my drift :pac:

It's a competition, but hardly giving away any massive hints in all fairness! Shall we all baton down the hatches.

So we have gone from blasting cheaters in stage two, to blasting people giving out information ready available for stage 3. Good oul boards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Fire.I.Am

At the end of the day, people can say what they want in here but when you're between them 4 walls in front of a panel of 3 interviewers, a little bit of information from boards isn't gonna be the difference between getting the job or not. If anyone gets the job, it's because they deserve to get the job.

Jesus! Some highly strung people here! Given the level of direction and instruction most of us all needed in relation to the forms being filled out, if I was DCC I would not be too happy! :)

May the best men win. Aptitudes and interviews don't always guarantee the best winning. But it's the system we must fit into!

Or women!

Interviews tend to guarantee the best people suited to the job do get them.

What way would you consider the best way to recruit then?

TallGlass wrote: »
    While I respect that, in all honesty if you can't find where the address is and it's on both the form and the email then what harm is it too give out the address. I do see your point however, logic should dictate something else will go amiss if you get my drift :pac:

It's a competition, but hardly giving away any massive hints in all fairness! Shall we all baton down the hatches.

So we have gone from blasting cheaters in stage two, to blasting people giving out information ready available for stage 3. Good oul boards :p

I agree, not massive hints but if someone wants to send their forms in wrong or to the wrong place, leave them to it. I didn't send my forms in wrong because I took the time to really double and triple check everything.

A line has to be drawn before somebody comes on here after their interview and starts talking about what questions they were asked etc.

Couldn't agree with you any more.

Were do I post it?
    How many photos do I attach?
    Do I fill it out in block letters?

Seriously folks, if your struggling with these type of instructions that are clearly on the forms best of luck!

Might seem harsh, but if your offended by this post you may want to reconsider your application cause God help ya in recruit training. But as we say, ya always need a few heat seekers to let the rest stay under the radar.

1 drop out and two who are near quitting already in the class that started in the O'Brien Institute a few weeks ago. One a female who simply couldn't lift the hoses from the engine and two males. They passed the interview were they right for the job it seems not! I personally think a fitness test and a stringent one should precede the interview as you are passing people who are simply not physically up to the task. The CPAT follows the interview but is that really reflective of the difficulty the six months training will entail. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I assumed you would be asked to give a written example of certain competencies, then send it back to them and on the interview date then, they will ask you to describe the competency you typed up!

Are you saying that won't happen, that on the day they will say just give us an example of team player etc?

Surely we will have to know in advance what competencies they are looking for off us.

Previously the DFB interviews have been based on a competancy based system. You will know the competancies in advance. Normally you do not have to write down example of each competancy. You will need to have prepared sitautions you have previously been in that show how you reacted and coped in certain situations that would be relevant to each competancy and be capable of communicating them in the interview

The usual headings would be based around

Communication Skills
    Decision Making
    Working under pressure
    Health and Safety
    Teamwork

etc.

The structure of the interview would award possibly 100 marks for each competancy giving a total of max 500. If you don't hit one competancy at all then your down 100 marks straight away.

Your application form/cv is very important for steering the interview panel questions towards areas you have experience in. If you put lies on it make sure you can back them up if asked!!

This is the previous structure of recruit interviews and I have no info about whether it's changing but to be honest i'd be surprised if it did.

Chungwun wrote: »
    Or women!

Interviews tend to guarantee the best people suited to the job do get them.

What way would you consider the best way to recruit then?[/QUOTE

An interview is a stage for 30 minutes talkers do best not always the people with most ability. As I said 3 drop outs already in a few weeks in the current class of recruits. What do you say about that?

3 drop outs already in the class that started in the O'Brien Institute a few weeks ago. One a female who simply couldn't lift the hoses from the engine and two males. They passed the interview were they right for the job it seems not! I personally think a fitness test and a stringent one should precede the interview as you are passing people who are simply not physically up to the task. The CPAT follows the interview but is that really reflective of the difficulty the six months training will entail. I don't think so.

People leave during training for many reasons and physical demands are most definitely not the only one.

Paulzx wrote: »
    Previously the DFB interviews have been based on a competancy based system. You will know the competancies in advance. Normally you do not have to write down example of each competancy. You will need to have prepared sitautions you have previously been in that show how you reacted and coped in certain situations that would be relevant to each competancy and be capable of communicating them in the interview

The usual headings would be based around

Communication Skills
    Decision Making
    Working under pressure
    Health and Safety
    Teamwork

etc.

The structure of the interview would award possibly 100 marks for each competancy giving a total of max 500. If you don't hit one competancy at all then your down 100 marks straight away.

Your application form/cv is very important for steering the interview panel questions towards areas you have experience in. If you put lies on it make sure you can back them up if asked!!

This is the previous structure of recruit interviews and I have no info about whether it's changing but to be honest i'd be surprised if it did.

Thank you Paul very informative.

An interview is a stage for 30 minutes talkers do best not always the people with most ability. As I said 3 drop outs already in a few weeks in the current class of recruits. What do you say about that?

Every job in the world has people who join it and find out afterwards that the job is different to what the expected.

The only way to change that is to employ robots.

There seems to be loads of people on here who have can't figure out how to fill in and post the application form for DFB yet are experts on how to recruit the perfect firefighter!!!! Go figure that one out:D

• Advertisement

People leave during training for many reasons and physical demands are most definitely not the only one.

Either way they were not right for the job or ready. Yet they passed interview showing that the system is flawed. An interview is a bluff. If your a talker that can get you over the line.

Either way they were not right for the job or ready. Yet they passed interview showing that the system is flawed. An interview is a bluff. If your a talker that can get you over the line.

Look. There's no perfect way to recruit. Whatever process you put on place will have flaws or be open to criticism.

There are 3 phases to get through.
    Aptitude
    Interview
    Physical tests and medical.

The majority of people that have the dedication, work ethic and intelligence to get through the whole process make good firefighters. However human nature is unpredictable and some will always fall through the cracks. That's life

3 people have NOT dropped out of the class. FACT.

Look. There's no perfect way to recruit. Whatever process you put on place will have flaws or be open to criticism.

There are 3 phases to get through.
    Aptitude
    Interview
    Physical tests and medical.

The majority of people that have the dedication, work ethic and intelligence to get through the whole process make good firefighters. However human nature is unpredictable and some will always fall through the cracks. That's life

You are correct. But look at the down side three drop outs who don't get replaced. Hundreds of other candidates who failed interview who would die to be in their position now will never get the chance.

3 people have not dropped out of the class. FACT.

I was told otherwise. Just got clarification one definite and two who were threatening have been dissuaded for now but are finding it hugely difficult.

I was told otherwise.

I can assure you 3 people have not dropped out.

You are correct. But look at the down side three drop outs who don't get replaced. Hundreds of other candidates who failed interview who would die to be in their position now will never get the chance.

Yes but there has to be a way to seperate people in the competition. How do you know that the candidates that failed in the competition wouldn't drop out as well if they had entered training.

The selection process is to try and narrow down the list of suitable people to begin training. The training regime can then hopefully weed out anyone the for whatever reason decide they don't want to be there anymore.
    It's impossible to simulate this fully beforehand.
    It's no different to the Gardai, Army etc.

Look at the amount of people that drop out of college after first year after realising it's not for them.

Nobody knows how they will react until they are put in the position. There is no process that can fully exclude this

I agree, not massive hints but if someone wants to send their forms in wrong or to the wrong place, leave them to it. I didn't send my forms in wrong because I took the time to really double and triple check everything.

A line has to be drawn before somebody comes on here after their interview and starts talking about what questions they were asked etc.

Oh I agree, and I wouldn't dare give out them answers either, your putting your place on the line should you get one, I am sure we will be made aware of not to give details out etc..
    Chungwun wrote: »
    How many photos do I attach?

In fairness I did ask that question with regards the photos myself, it seems a bit mental to have near 8 photos of yourself attached to the application and I never heard of it before in any application and that wasn't exactly clear if it included the copies or not. Anything else was clearly defined in the application.
    But as we say, ya always need a few heat seekers to let the rest stay under the radar.

I read that as a head gaskets for some reason, kinda the same thing :D

One last question before I go into the abliss on this topic as it's going a bit of its intent (this is a discussion board after all!). But are these interview prep courses any good or do they do more harm?

I is worth noting (and this is good for external recruitment) that there are almost none or at least very rare to have dropouts from an external recruitment. The internal recruitment is clearly flawed when you have 1 dropout and 2 more wanting to walk when they are only on the basic training module!!! god help these people come BA and hot fire training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Harry hoofer sounds like a spoofer

Advertisement