Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4 [PC:G]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just killed a legendary Radroach :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Just met the
    Valt-Tec Rep from the start of the game
    , didn't expect that :D
    Funnily enough i just met him while playing tonight too. Felt sorry for him so gave him a job running a stall in sanctuary, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ I know what you mean. I entered a raider camp there earlier. I accidentally set off a mine and alerted them. One raider was half in and out of a wall for some reason so I just shot her hand till she died. The rest attacked piecemeal, I moved left and right occassionally more for something to do other than any real need and they all died after a minute or so. Was just like a movie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

went out with Strong and the same thing happened, he agro'd like 3 buildings of raiders, got pinned down in the middle of all of them - he's on low ground they are all on high ground and i'm hiding behind a wall praying to jebus that my quicksave doesnt fcukup :D

Actually i think i managed to get most of it on shadowplay too, might upload it later for the craic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My biggest issues is ammo, I go through ammo like no tomorrow and then I dont have enough caps to buy the required ammo

Anyone have some pointers for a lvl 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Headshot wrote: »
    My biggest issues is ammo, I go through ammo like no tomorrow and then I dont have enough caps to buy the required ammo

Use melee weapons?.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

Headshot wrote: »

You could try out the craftable ammo mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1018/?

Get the find ammo perk.

Thargor wrote: »
    Get the find ammo perk.

^^ That, or just go for headshots with non-automatic weapons and let your follower soak up damage for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

over 140 hours in this... err going to try burn through the story today and be done with it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Judiciously moded pipe weapons can be pretty brutal anyway.

are those rail road missions to place mila devices around the place just some repeating ****e ?

Zillah wrote: »
    Judiciously moded pipe weapons can be pretty brutal anyway.
    I had to raise a common pipe pistol up to an automatic death machine this morning just to burn through all the.38 ammo I had stored up, still hoarding all the other stuff though, only allow a couple of sniper shots then in close with the shotgun and pipe pistol. I have a really nice 10mm but ammo for it is basically nonexistent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The thing that killed my ammo reserves for me in the early to mid game was ghouls. They're quick moving so it can be hard to get head shots (especially if you don't use VATS like me) and on survival they took a good few rounds to put down. The lack of loot with ghouls is a killer for ammo. At least with raiders they carry ammo and stuff you can sell for ammo. You could take down a few raiders and come away with plenty of loot that would more than make up for the ammo you put into them. You could fight a million ghouls and all you'd come away with is 4 caps, a single .38 round and a spoon.

I kept running into area after area filled with ghouls and it really depleted what ammo I had. If this is happening to you, you could just fast travel to a place you know spawns raiders and farm them for loot to up your reserves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

True and untrue - Ghouls are far more likely to provide some precious scrap, even if rarely (eg. adhesives etc) - and they're also one of the easiest enemies to farm for the BOS "Blood Sample" repeatable for infinite caps profit, if you're having money troubles or just want a free and easy profit during your run.

I hate how I'm a Pistol/Rifle stealth build yet everyone and their mother is dropping fancy tech/melee weapons, *sigh*.

That blood sample thing sounds like it would have helped me. I'm assuming that would mean I'd have to actually do some of the BOS missions. I only just joined them despite me being level 53. I really should follow the story missions for a while before I just go wandering.

As much as I generally avoid them in all Fallouts, it's worth joining them for two reasons.

a) It's not hard to get on-board the Prydwyn and, once you do, they do not flip out over you taking EVERYTHING on-board. Tonnes of free ammo for the taking as soon as you arrive.

b) You get Technical Document & Blood Sample missions. TDocs are found in desks and office type furniture, the samples are farmed from any 'animal' type enemies as well as Ferals.

Basically, whether you join them 'full time' or not, it's worth picking their ship clean then keeping the repeatable side missions on tap just so you can grab an armful of easy caps anytime you decide to go back for some reason. Also, as much as I disagree with their concept of taking whatever they want, I do hate having so many bases to manage myself -- so I do the farm repeatable for Teagan as well. The settlements will no longer be allied with you if you do, so just be sure to have any settlers you want to keep moved to other places before you hand over the keys. It's also easy rep with companions, funnily enough, if you do the non-aggressive charisma check rather than the forceful one. Danse, Nick and likely others 'liked' the nice approach -- and I like getting rid of the pesky settlements as a 'Sanctuary only' player.

When I first got the offer to join them I was really early into the game. I decided to leave it as I wasn't sure if joining them was gonna piss off the other factions. When I found out that you can do all the factions up to a point before pissing the others off I planned on going back and joining then but never got around to it. Too busy wandering around exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I re-rolled my current character with new stats as I invested stat points that weren't needed for my first character (thinking it would be like FO3 & FO:NV with skills). I too had issue finding ammo with that character but now using the scrounger perk finding ammo isn't a problem now.

Also Idiot Savant is absolutely amazing. I'm using it with 5 Int and I've reached level 13 already and only done a very small amount of missions. I unlocked the second perk which multiplies the XP gained by 5 times. I just finished the Paladin Danse Cambridge/Arcjet Mission last and got nearly 2000XP for it. It does require some save scumming though to finally get it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I spent about two hours yesterday pottering around the
    glowing sea
    . After about 15 hours of gameplay, I'm starting to enjoy the game properly. I found it very samely to FO3 in parts, but now that I'm getting into the story and have arrived at the
    Institute
    , it's getting pretty decent.

Not sure why you'd take IS with 5 Int (50%) given it works better the lower it is. I'd take it for any non-Intelligence build (1-3 Int maximum) but hey, if it works for you :P

I still require some of the mid tier INT perks so have to use it at INT 5. At INT 5 you still get a good bonus, it's when you are INT 6 and above the returns aren't as good (but I think it's better if you're INT 10 with IS Perk Level 2). The chance of the perk activating at INT 1 is 12% and it's about 7-8% at INT 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Not sure why you'd take IS with 5 Int (50%) given it works better the lower it is. I'd take it for any non-Intelligence build (1-3 Int maximum) but hey, if it works for you :P

I have idiot savant level 3 with my 10 intelligence character and I'm constantly getting the bonus from it. So I'd say it's well worth getting regardless of intelligence level. I flew up the levels with both, at 63 now.

• Advertisement

Hmm, fair enough - I had never gotten it so I guess I can't comment. Often found Charisma checks + GoGab + Lockpicking and general questing/killing was more than enough (Cha/Per build).

Ah it is but since I was re-rolling a character that was originally high level, Idiot Savant seemed like a good way to go to build up the character as quick as possible again without as much time lost. Getting IS on a quest turn-in now guarantee's a level up and almost another level at the moment for me.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I have idiot savant level 3 with my 10 intelligence character and I'm constantly getting the bonus from it. So I'd say it's well worth getting regardless of intelligence level. I flew up the levels with both, at 63 now.

is there a level cap?

is there a level cap?

Not as far as I'm aware. I would assume the cap is whatever level is where all your stats and perks are maxed.

no level cap

Assumingly starting with 21 stat points, it would take at least level 49 to max all stat points. Then roughly if each perk has 3 levels the Max level you could get to is around 259 if you wanted to unlock everything (roughly)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not sure what the attraction is of leveling up faster. The game levels you up fast enough as it is and I would find it far less satisfying to be too powerful too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

mewso wrote: »
    Not sure what the attraction is of leveling up faster. The game levels you up fast enough as it is and I would find it far less satisfying to be too powerful too early.

Agreed, I've only started this weekend (awesome btw!!!) and after 14 hours I'm already level 10. I'm tearing through the levels so far and already feel like there's not too much of a challenge.

I'm on Very hard but admittedly I've only encountered some mole rats, blood bugs, raiders (+ the odd sentry) and standard ghouls. I'm sure it'll get tougher when the Deathclaws come a wanderin' and since I'm playing it safe with sniping the bulk of the enemies before running in I wouldn't want to be any stronger than I am.

mewso wrote: »

I regrettably spent nearly 50 hours on a character with stat investment I ended up not wanting/needed. I wanted to re-roll the same type of character but no way in hell I was investing the same amount of time in for the same character. Which Idiot Savant seemed to fit the bill in helping me rebuild the character in a quicker fashion. Of course the perk comes down to individual taste. If I create a new character (e.g melee focused) I won't be using Idiot Savant for them.

Edit: Idiot Savant, for my character has only a 7-8% chance of working. I'm only save scumming up to around the level I was before re-rolling then I'll let Idiot Savant work as intended. Normally you won't actually level up very quickly with Idiot Savant if you don't save scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I can't find a windowed resolution to fit my 1280x1024 screen, and fullscreen mode takes a huge hit on the quality of my graphics. What can I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

In short, I've always played a semi-sneak with Pistols & Rifles.

Based on your vid, I take it you didn't invest in Ninja or Mister Sandman at all? With both of those maxed, silenced weapons can do 5.25x sneak bonus damage for even gorier long-range snipes :D

Advertisement