Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

murpho999 wrote:
    That's my point. I guarantee that nobody in Madrid was going around in shorts at 22 degrees like people are here at 17 degrees.

Thats because there used to alot warmer weather. They can handle 30c no problem! We are Irish, were used to cold weather so when we hit 20c were baked!
    People here moaning about other people wearing shorts or going to the beach because its "not warm enough". If we were to wait for proper warm weather to get the swimwear out we would be lucky to do it 2 or 3 times a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Thats because there used to alot warmer weather. They can handle 30c no problem! We are Irish, were used to cold weather so when we hit 20c were baked!
    People here moaning about other people wearing shorts or going to the beach because its "not warm enough". If we were to wait for proper warm weather to get the swimwear out we would be lucky to do it 2 or 3 times a year.

That's like saying we should don our ski jackets and take to the hills whenever we get a heavy frost; 'cos if we were to wait for proper snow to get the skis out we would be lucky to do it once every 2 or 3 year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's my point. I guarantee that nobody in Madrid was going around in shorts at 22 degrees like people are here at 17 degrees.

Well there were some people in shorts, most were in average everyday clothing, some had coats because at that time of year if you get caught out after dusk it drops to 4-5C very quickly.
    ComfortKid wrote: »

It's a myth that people in hot countries are immune to the heat. There's a reason every building has aircon. Where my girlfriend is from in Venezuela it's 28-33C every day all year round and it's oppressive as hell for them. It's Venezuela so power cuts and product shortages add to the issue but going out in that heat for ages isn't fun for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's a myth that people in hot countries are immune to the heat. There's a reason every building has aircon. Where my girlfriend is from in Venezuela it's 28-33C every day all year round and it's oppressive as hell for them. It's Venezuela so power cuts and product shortages add to the issue but going out in that heat for ages isn't fun for them.

It can't be more oppressive than the weather here? I mean wind and mist and rain for 4 months straight in the winter with maybe a week overall of an exception is very oppressive and depressive.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It can't be more oppressive than the weather here? I mean wind and mist and rain for 4 months straight in the winter with maybe a week overall of an exception is very oppressive and depressive.

Nah - that's invigorating! :)

• Advertisement

Temperture has just hit 23c! Very warm today, especially when the sun came out a minute ago. Windy though. Feels like there is a heavy shower on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It misted for a good deal of the afternoon and it's been really dull and windy and sometimes cold here in Galway. Very overcast at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sea breeze died away and temperature shot up, 22C here now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It misted for a good deal of the afternoon and it's been really dull and windy and sometimes cold here in Galway. Very overcast at the moment.

Weather in Galway is cat for June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Supercell wrote: »
    Sea breeze died away and temperature shot up, 22C here now :)

Very hot in Arklow today ,Sun all day and a light sw land breeze Hit 24c and still a very sunny 21 now just beautiful

Amazing contrasts west to east on our island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

murpho999 wrote: »

Humidity has a lot to answer for as well though, doesn't it ? Generally very humid in Ireland when we have good weather that it makes sense to have the shorts out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Mist/rain here in Mayo all day. At least I won't have to water my flowers. :-/

Half nine and still 20C, summer has arrived, feels like the south of France outside :)
    Humidity of 75% probably helping, though it still feels nice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

High today of 23.1c near Arklow
    What a lovely summer this is turning out to be recently

High of 17c today. No break in the clouds.
    I've noticed a lot booking sun holidays this year (those who haven't for years). What an awful start to the summer.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    High of 17c today. No break in the clouds.
    I've noticed a lot booking sun holidays this year (those who haven't for years). What an awful start to the summer.

Wall to wall Sun here dawn to dusk with a land breeze
    I think similar to last year where the normal sea breezes went on some kind of sabbatical a lot down through east Wicklow and wexford hence the low 20s again
    It was a great day for the beach actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A beautiful day in Galway city
    High of 17.2C, 13.5 hrs of sunshine and a fabulous sunset to cap it off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think the weather in past 2 weeks has improved in the South and East but continues to struggle in the North and West in terms of temps and sunshine. All down to the sustained Atlantic influence that has now dominated our weather since the late autumn. SST's in the Atlantic are also several degrees below averge which doesn't help eitheir. The situation in Northern Britain is even worse, saw a headline recently that reported on sheep in Orkneys reduced to stripping bark off Gorse bushes such is the lack of grass growth due to sustained ongoing cold and often wet conditions.

Lovely day here but only made 19C because a NW breeze produces none of that föhn effect at the northern tip of the Wicklow/Dublin mountains.

But nice and sunny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overcast and dull, mist on the hills.

Remaining dry in Tralee

14C approx

Humid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Really dense fog here in Mayo now. Feels like a mild day in November.

Rolling fog patches and mist here in west Clare with an all time record temperature of 16.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Any sign of a decent warm spell for the western and north-western seaboards?
    Or is it all clear but cold on the forecasts and FI?

Warmest day of the year here near Arklow 25.4c peak so far in the sun
    Feels balmy \0/

West Clare yet again has awful weather. Mist/Fog/Rain/Wind all day here in Clare, too wet to cut grass, can't go for a walk in fear of a shower and an umbrella is useless in this wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Has gotten very sunny in Galway city in the last hour or two bit breezy but warm in the sun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Cracking day in East Cork! 21c now and mostly sun. There's a lovely warm breeze as well :)

Nice here, topped out at 22C, mainly sunny day, partly cloudy after a dull start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Stunner of a day, all day, in Cork city. Wasn't expecting that. Sweltering at times.

• Advertisement

Was in Sligo over the weekend, very noticeably cooler than here. Recorded 24.7C here yesterday so assume the Wicklow fohn was in full force. Was nice enough in Sligo but probably was around 17C'ish I'd guess and it rained all evening and this morning.
    Was cool and mostly overcast in Sligo up until this afternoon, would guess temperatures were around 15 or 16C, very noticeably warmer here when we got out of the car back home, bit gutted i may have missed the warmest day of the year here but we had a nice stay in the west, was almost weird to see the rain again!!

Advertisement