Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Cloudy, windy and not very warm here in southeast..very dissappointing, rest of country looks to be fairing alot better!!...:(....never heard of this spanish plume before..and I dont like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cloudy but warm and humid here in west Clare. We just had a few large but infrequent drops of rain and now the sun is out for a minute. MY god does it feel tropical. Very warm when sun comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's actually very cool in Cork City now, and dull, no sun :( but looks like it may be coming back next week so that's ok :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Warm with a cool breeze here in Limerick. No sunshine. Summer 2015 lasted 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I see a lot of cloud building to the south of me, this unbroken sunshine might not last much longer

• Advertisement

Fairly large drop in temperature in the past hour, about 5c with a wind increase. Fairly frequent periods of heavy rain drops.

21c and Hazy sunshine my hole, spot on Met Eireann!

Location = West Clare.

I see a lot of cloud building to the south of me, this unbroken sunshine might not last much longer

Sunshine? Must be warm there!
    Where's there anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sedriously lads, do you all really consider 15-17 degrees which it is today as "warm".
    Would be an average Spring day in other countries and here people are complaining of the "heat" and going around in shorts and skimpy tops.

Foreigners must find it bizzare!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sedriously lads, do you all really consider 15-17 degrees which it is today as "warm".
    Would be an average Spring day in other countries and here people are complaining of the "heat" and going around in shorts and skimpy tops.

Foreigners must find it bizzare!

Was 21c here earlier. That's warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Sunshine? Must be warm there!
    Where's there anyway?

You must be on phone, North Meath and yeah its very warm :)

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Was 21c here earlier. That's warm.

It's not really though, it's pleasant yes, but it's not exactly hot.

It's not really though, it's pleasant yes, but it's not exactly hot.

No its not hot, I agree. Hence the word "warm".

Its not so pleasant anymore at 16c.***Shivvveerr***

murpho999 wrote:
    Sedriously lads, do you all really consider 15-17 degrees which it is today as "warm". Would be an average Spring day in other countries and here people are complaining of the "heat" and going around in shorts and skimpy tops.

Pretty stupid comment to be honest.
    We dont live in other countries, and we are Irish so yeah, It's warm for Ireland.In winter is -1 not cold because some countries have -25 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

ComfortKid wrote: »
    We dont live in other countries, and we are Irish so yeah, It's warm for Ireland.In winter is -1 not cold because some countries have -25 ?

You get used to the heat. We had a cold May so this weather was a shock to the system - that's why people feel warm. I found the shade to be pretty nippy yesterday and no surprise as it was only 17*C, but the sun is very strong, burnt my back to bits.

In regards to your analogy, with Ireland being a windy country, I'd choose -7*C on a calm morning over +7*C with a strong wind. -1*C on a calm, frosty morning is very tolerable. I think it was -8*C one morning this year and I definitely felt colder in rainy, windy weather.

My analogy was in reply to the lad that said 17 or 18c isn't warm because it's not considered warm to foreigners. It is warm for Ireland. Especially after the last few weeks. I used work with a few Russians and they told me that 1c in Ireland is colder that -25c in Russia. Something about wet air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Near constant sunshine the past few days but the temperature can't get past 16C.

But if you stand in the sun it feels very warm.

Advice? Stay out of the shade....

ComfortKid wrote: »

I don't find my comment stupid at all.

No matter where you are from 16-18 degrees is not that warm and if you are out and about in skimpy tops and shorts you will soon feel cold.

Your examples of relativity refer more to what people are used to rather than the actual temperatures are and I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

Indeed, but the Irish are funny that way. In the sunny April days we had t-shirts and shorts when the temperature was 12C.

Then they wondered about all those Spring colds!

To us, sunshine=heat. As you know you can get severe sunburn, and a flu, while skiing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

No matter where you are from 16-18 degrees is not that warm and if you are out and about in skimpy tops and shorts you will soon feel cold.

Your examples of relativity refer more to what people are used to rather than the actual temperatures are and I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

Totally agree. Temperatures of 16-18 are mild but not warm. You need 20+ to call it warm.People wandering around in beach wear in such lukewarm weather look ridiculous in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think we are reaching the time of year where even cool temps feel very warm due the sun being so strong by day. It reached into the high teens here today and I found it very warm and yesterday evening/night was, to me at least, comfortable 'teeshirt' temps. As you say though, it may well be relative conditioning as it has been relatively cool right up to the last couple of days. The same temps may feel relatively cool after a hot spell.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this year I havent felt warm once, here in the east during the 'warm' spell in April and the current 'warm' spell the temps have barely made it past 15 or 16C. It's nice in the sun but even the slightest breeze has a chill to it. I consider warm to be 21C+ and so far this year we haven't goten even close to that (at least near the east coast). Hopefully things will warm up over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

was 21c exactly in sligo today at 230pm

felt warm but not roasting

over 25c is my type of temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Gonzo wrote: »
    so far this year I havent felt warm once, here in the east during the 'warm' spell in April and the current 'warm' spell the temps have barely made it past 15 or 16C. It's nice in the sun but even the slightest breeze has a chill to it. I consider warm to be 21C+ and so far this year we haven't goten even close to that (at least near the east coast). Hopefully things will warm up over the next few weeks.

Agree with all of the above, there seems to be a misconception that we got a very warm April for some reason. All stats suggest it was a below average month for temperature. I am extremely disappointed with June so far also, The highest temp at my closest station(Dublin Airport) to 11th June was 16.3c. Weather at the moment would be more akin to a very pleasant October.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

16/17c in Dublin/east Meath again today, could be the warmest day of the year so far here and it's almost mid June. I am hopeful that we may finally reach the dizzy heights of 20C at some stage next week.

Any good sunny weather we had during April and this week had an easterly wind so that's kept our temperature down compared to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Any good sunny weather we had during April and this week had an easterly wind so that's kept our temperature down compared to the rest of the country.

This sort of implies that those of us further west are having a great time with all this badly distributed heat! :D

Not the case at all. While we did do marginally better than eastern areas during the April warm spell, we paid for it since with the north and west bearing the brunt of cold air masses that have been in place since the end of April that not only brought cool daytime temps, but an abundance of rain that eastern areas largely escaped. It is really only in the last couple of days that this side of the country enjoyed temps that are more closer to normal for the year. The table below shows the mean and absolute maxima at select stations on the met.ie network since April 1st. While Shannon does top the table in this regard, you'll see that midland and eastern areas have largely done slightly better regarding mean daily maxima during the period than most other areas. All data from www.met.ie

351877.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

so far this year I havent felt warm once

+1!

You wouldn't catch people in shorts and t-shirts around that time of year
    January
    Temp. Station Date
    15.7 Ashford, Co. Wicklow 3rd (also 14.5 on 2nd)
    15.0 Cahore, Co. Wexford 2nd
    14.9 Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin 29th
    14.8 Dublin, Merrion Square, Co. Dublin 29th
    14.5 Dungarvan, Co. Waterford 3rd

Any time people say to me it's warm, I can't help but think, yeah sure, warm like a mild Winter's day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

But 18C in the sun on a calm day is easily hot enough to go around in shorts. I'm in the middle of England and it was a cloudy 23C today but it was much nicer and even hotter on the skin on the many days it's been 17-19C and sunny. It felt about as warm as when I was in Madrid in March 2014 and it was 22 and sunny. The sun was a bit weaker at that time but it was similar feeling to high teens summer sun in this corner of Europe and everyone in Madrid at the time were in fairly summary clothes, though there were a few coats around because it gets really cold at night there in winter/spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Arbitrary wrote: »
    +1!

You wouldn't catch people in shorts and t-shirts around that time of year

Any time people say to me it's warm, I can't help but think, yeah sure, warm like a mild Winter's day!!

Come on, surely if you're in the weather section you know what kind of weather is needed to bring these "mild" temperatures in winter. It's not on a sunny calm day, and it's only to the benefit of those indoors. They are usually accompanied by Atlantic storms, thick cloud and drizzle ect. They are nothing like 15C on a sunny day in late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heading for 20C here, currently 19.4 and sunny, sea breeze holding off - for now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

But 18C in the sun on a calm day is easily hot enough to go around in shorts. I'm in the middle of England and it was a cloudy 23C today but it was much nicer and even hotter on the skin on the many days it's been 17-19C and sunny. It felt about as warm as when I was in Madrid in March 2014 and it was 22 and sunny. The sun was a bit weaker at that time but it was similar feeling to high teens summer sun in this corner of Europe and everyone in Madrid at the time were in fairly summary clothes, though there were a few coats around because it gets really cold at night there in winter/spring.

That's my point. I guarantee that nobody in Madrid was going around in shorts at 22 degrees like people are here at 17 degrees.

Advertisement