Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

UsedToWait wrote: »
    They a respected reviewer?

Looks good - I've been itching to pull the trigger on the A1, but my current phone isn't giving any hassles.. might wait for this,,

I wonder if the successor to the A1 will be based on this chipset?

They're as good as any other site. Best to wait until there are a few more sources but it looks promising. The A1 is only out about 6 months? Probably wont have a replacement for a while yet. Seeing as its a Xiaomi running stock Android, it might not be updated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Riva10 wrote: »
    let us know when (if) you receive your order

Just a follow up on this, order received today, all checked and working. Excellent service for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

fixxxer wrote: »
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    They a respected reviewer?

Looks good - I've been itching to pull the trigger on the A1, but my current phone isn't giving any hassles.. might wait for this,,

I wonder if the successor to the A1 will be based on this chipset?

They're as good as any other site. Best to wait until there are a few more sources but it looks promising. The A1 is only out about 6 months? Probably wont have a replacement for a while yet. Seeing as its a Xiaomi running stock Android, it might not be updated at all.
    Hi - long time follower of this thread, but this is the first time i have noticed reference to the Mi A1 successor here. There are quite a few sites out there talking about the Mi 6x, which could possibly be the Mi A2 rebadged. I have been very close to buying a Mi A1 over the last month, but I have held back based on 6x / A2 rumours, so I await with curiosity what is announced at MWC at the end of this month, where the 6x has been mentioned. 

The alternative is the newly announced Note 5 Pro, but i haven't seen confirmation that this has Band 20 LTE. Otherwise it looks very tidy piece of technology. Just not sure when it would be available for purchase for those of us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

mx5ire wrote: »
    Hi - long time follower of this thread, but this is the first time i have noticed reference to the Mi A1 successor here. There are quite a few sites out there talking about the Mi 6x, which could possibly be the Mi A2 rebadged. I have been very close to buying a Mi A1 over the last month, but I have held back based on 6x / A2 rumours, so I await with curiosity what is announced at MWC at the end of this month, where the 6x has been mentioned.

I know many know this, but just to mention for those that may not, the A1 in Mi A1 refers to Android One. The speculation about the Mi 6X is only that it will have Android 7.1.
    Some are speculating that like the Note 4, the Mi 6x will have one name for MIUI and another for Android. But so much is just guessing.
    Xiaomi removed a poll on Reddit that they posted asking people to vote for MIUI vs Android One.
    Android One won with 57% of the votes, so it is anybody's guess really, what they are going to do. Even though they are aware most do not prefer MIUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

baldshin wrote: »
    My Redmi 5 Plus arrived today from Honorbuy- great site, ordered on Saturday! All set up and posting from it now, seems to be a nice bit of kit. Now to sell on my Maze Alpha!

How do you find it in comparison?

Is it very long and thin (hate that) I love the screen size of the Maze Alpha (that's why I bought it) would you recommend it for screen size? I presume the camera is better also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

ImARebel wrote: »
    How do you find it in comparison?

Is it very long and thin (hate that) I love the screen size of the Maze Alpha (that's why I bought it) would you recommend it for screen size? I presume the camera is better also?

I actually find it slightly faster, could be because it's newly set up. Size wise it's slightly longer and narrower but I've not noticed a difference in screen size through use. Speaker and call quality are a little better and camera is massively better.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

baldshin wrote: »
    I actually find it slightly faster, could be because it's newly set up. Size wise it's slightly longer and narrower but I've not noticed a difference in screen size through use. Speaker and call quality are a little better and camera is massively better.

Thanks a million for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've just received delivery of a redmi 4x as a present for herself. When it comes to set up and asks for what region I'm in there's no option for Ireland. Has anyone any advice as to what I should do? I'm afraid if I pick a random region I might mess up how the phone deals with the clock and calendars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've just received delivery of a redmi 4x as a present for herself. When it comes to set up and asks for what region I'm in there's no option for Ireland. Has anyone any advice as to what I should do? I'm afraid if I pick a random region I might mess up how the phone deals with the clock and calendars etc.

Just pick Spain, and set the clock to update from the Network. It doesn't make a huge difference to the phones settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I have same phone, on Android 6.0 the nearest option was Spain and that worked fine, no issues with times etc..
    Redmi 4x has been recently upgraded officially to Android 7.o and UK is now an option so I have reset country to that. Again no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Any recommendations for a cheap phone that could take getting dropped all the time by my dad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Any recommendations for a cheap phone that could take getting dropped all the time by my dad

Oukitels are pretty solid, whats the budget size etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Budget 150ish max and completely open to any size or what have you. I'll have a look at the oukktels thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I know from experience that the Xiaomi Redmi 4x with the 4100mah battery is able to put up with many knocks .

Mine has fallen several times even on its edge and the screen is intact.

Its on Ali for about €120

How have you found the 4x allthedoyles? I've bought it for my wife as a birthday present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Has a decent battery too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How have you found the 4x allthedoyles? I've bought it for my wife as a birthday present.

Its a great phone - we are converted now to Xiaomi -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I am looking at buying a mi max 2 and I can see that the 128gb verson is available for about $40 more but is not the global version or global rom. If I bought the non global version, how difficult would it be to install the playstore or flash the global rom to it? From reading online it seems to come with a Chinese and English installed

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a mi max 2 and I can see that the 128gb verson is available for about $40 more but is not the global version or global rom. If I bought the non global version, how difficult would it be to install the playstore or flash the global rom to it? From reading online it seems to come with a Chinese and English installed

I would be more concerned with lack of Band 20 for LTE coverage here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/mimax2

There is a global rom, avaible for it: - http://en.miui.com/download-328.html

Check the reddit wiki for flashing instructions.

Also note that Goldway are promoting Duty Free DHL shipping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

corkie wrote: »
    I would be more concerned with lack of Band 20 for LTE coverage here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/mimax2

There is a global rom, avaible for it: - http://en.miui.com/download-328.html

Check the reddit wiki for flashing instructions.

Also note that Goldway are promoting Duty Free DHL shipping again.

Thanks Corkie, so should be ok so, it is Goldway that I am looking at alright, I can't see the duty free dhl though.

I am finishing up my sim only contract with three next week and will more than likely move to Tesco mobile then who don't do 4g anyway. It is band 20 for lte with three where I live alright though.
    I find at home with Three at the moment if I'm on data and starting watching tv online it switches to H and H+ speeds anyway

8530578956_791517345.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-4GB-RAM-128GB-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-6-44/32814352163.html

If you scroll through there description the above image is on the page.

Three use Band 3 and 20, I have Kenzo without Band 20 and have no problems with LTE as I live in the city.

Band 20 is required for better rural/indoor coverage.

Its a great phone - we are converted now to Xiaomi -

Have the A1 meself... Delighted with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Oukitels are pretty solid, whats the budget size etc?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_638754.html :rolleyes:

They are very aware of that price (it has been removed and replaced numerous times), so presumably it has not been changed to encourage new registrations for (at least) data collecting.

Nothing to do with Oukitel other than it is an Oukitel phone for €0.82.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Suckit wrote: »
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_638754.html :rolleyes:

They are very aware of that price (it has been removed and replaced numerous times), so presumably it has not been changed to encourage new registrations for (at least) data collecting.

Nothing to do with Oukitel other than it is an Oukitel phone for €0.82.
    When you select a plug it changes to the overpriced phone it is.

**Posted from an Oukitek u13. Which I think does a grand job for what I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Have a few contracts coming to an end with Three. We are using a mix of Samsung's at the moment S6 Edge/S7.

Given the cost of the flagship phones now I am considering looking at Chinese alternatives.

Mainly interested in:
    Good battery
    Good audio via headphone
    5'1 or bigger display

Bonuses:
    FM Radio
    NFC

Not particularly bothered about the camera performance.

Any suggestions for something that would match the performance of the likes of an S7?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Have a few contracts coming to an end with Three. We are using a mix of Samsung's at the moment S6 Edge/S7.

Given the cost of the flagship phones now I am considering looking at Chinese alternatives.

Mainly interested in:
    Good battery
    Good audio via headphone
    5'1 or bigger display

Bonuses:
    FM Radio
    NFC

Any suggestions for something that would match the performance of the likes of an S7?

Thanks!

Xiaomi mi max 2, i can't recommend it highly enough.

Mainly interested in:
    Good battery
    Good audio via headphone
    5'1 or bigger display

Bonuses:
    FM Radio
    NFC

Thanks!

www.kimovil.com best site to pick a phone that suits, though Xiaomi are solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Xiaomi mi max 2, i can't recommend it highly enough.

I have the Redmi Note 4 & can't fault it. I would definitely buy Xiaomi again. I bought the original Xiaomi Mi Band two years ago & it's still working perfectly. Xiaomi products are really well made.

I chose the Note for it's battery life which is superb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement