Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Redmi 5 plus is essentially a Note 4 with a bigger, better screen and a bit cheaper. there's a global version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone seen any decent phablets (~6.5" screens) lately? I know theres a long running thread in Bargain alerts for one but the specs are a bit weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

fixxxer wrote: »
    The Redmi 5 plus is essentially a Note 4 with a bigger, better screen and a bit cheaper. there's a global version too.

Cheers fixer yeah i had seen that. I was a bit nonplussed (forgive the pun) when i seen it was so similar specced as regards the nuts and bolts. Same chipset, processor and ram etc.

Will definitely have it in the comparison pile though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any decent phablets (~6.5" screens) lately? I know theres a long running thread in Bargain alerts for one but the specs are a bit weak.
    can't go wrong with a Xiaomi mi max 2.
    I love mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

What is the best delivery option from Gearbest? I reckon i'm likely to get stung for customs no matter what way i go so i'd rather use the best option- expedited or priority in peoples opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ibFoxer wrote: »
    What is the best delivery option from Gearbest? I reckon i'm likely to get stung for customs no matter what way i go so i'd rather use the best option- expedited or priority in peoples opinions?

Can't you get it from a european warehouse ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Can't you get it from a european warehouse ?

Hong Kong only I’m afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Best to avoid Gearbest altogether.

Suckit wrote: »
    Best to avoid Gearbest altogether.

Any particular reason why?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Any particular reason why?

Hundreds (not joking) they have been known to sell counterfeit items, they have patchy at best customer service, which they have tried to amend but it is still poor. They are notorious for avoiding giving a refund after receiving a faulty item and will do everything not to, including getting you to send the item back (previously at your own expense, but now Paypal will cover it) and then the item will go missing once in China. They have shilled in the past (probably still do), they pay for reviews and to be in forums. They also pay staff to skew review sites in their favour.
    Most/all forums they are on, they are paid sponsors because they have previously been banned for many bad practices.
    They have been blanket advertising for the past couple of years, they are only in existence since 2014 and have amassed a huge amount of negative feedback in a very short time.
    Any quick search will find tons of negative write ups about them.
    I personally also had a bad experience with them, and know of three others that live near me.
    I am pretty sure that there are plenty others on this forum that also have been relieved of some of their money by them.
    I honestly believe, if you use them they will rip you off eventually. Probably for as high amount as they think they will get.
    Many Russian forums joke about them calling them terms like Mafia and Cartel, and with them branching out with many more nearly identical sites they are becoming more like one.
    There are more trustworthy sites from China, they may cost slightly more, but should be still a bargain, are less likely to be fake, and usually have a very good support,.

• Advertisement

Hundreds (not joking) they have been known to sell counterfeit items, they have patchy at best customer service, which they have tried to amend but it is still poor. They are notorious for avoiding giving a refund after receiving a faulty item and will do everything not to, including getting you to send the item back (previously at your own expense, but now Paypal will cover it) and then the item will go missing once in China. They have shilled in the past (probably still do), they pay for reviews and to be in forums. They also pay staff to skew review sites in their favour.
    Most/all forums they are on, they are paid sponsors because they have previously been banned for many bad practices.
    They have been blanket advertising for the past couple of years, they are only in existence since 2014 and have amassed a huge amount of negative feedback in a very short time.
    I personally also had a bad experience with them, and know of three others that live near me.
    I am pretty sure that there are plenty others on this forum that also have been relieved of some of their money by them.
    I honestly believe, if you use them they will rip you off eventually. Probably for as high amount as they think they will get.
    Many Russian forums joke about them calling them terms like Mafia and Cartel, and with them branching out with many more nearly identical sites they are becoming more like one.
    There are more trustworthy sites from China, they may cost slightly more, but should be still a bargain, are less likely to be fake, and usually have a very good support,.

Ah. Okay, i take all your points on board but i have to counter with my own experiences, i have ordered from both Gearbest and FastTech and neither have wronged me in any way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

That just about sums up Gearbest Check the gearbest forum here and you will see that one guy here ordered 3 laptops from them. When his package eventually arrived there were no laptops in it. Gearbest insisted that they had sent the laptops even though the declared weightof the package was 0.8kg. Pretty light for 3 laptops. They said the problem was on his side. Refused to resend and eventually decided to replace the order for 50% of the original cost and then upped their offer to 75%. Take the chance if you feel lucky :rolleyes: but let us know when (if) you receive your order

smilerf wrote: »
    can't go wrong with a Xiaomi mi max 2.
    I love mine
    Mi Max 3 on the way in a few weeks apparently, Ill have to hold out for some reviews of that now, 5,500 mAh battery and a 7" screen!

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/01/18/xiaomi-mi-max-3-rear-photo-sd-660-dual-cameras/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mi Max 3 on the way in a few weeks apparently, Ill have to hold out for some reviews of that now, 5,500 mAh battery and a 7" screen!

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/01/18/xiaomi-mi-max-3-rear-photo-sd-660-dual-cameras/

Damn that looks exactly what I'd be looking for. I wonder if it will be available for under €300 though. Could be waiting until mid-2018 according to the article. Nice to see Xiaomi finally moving on to the next generation of chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Thargor wrote:

Doubt it will arrive that quick tbh. They say that with everything. Usually a year after the previous model is what they do most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

7" Screen......no thanks!

Fits in the same footprint as the Mi Max 2 apparently, the way all the 5.5" sized phones have 6" screens this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fits in the same footprint as the Mi Max 2 apparently, the way all the 5.5" sized phones have 6" screens this gen.

Yes & it's annoying. My note 4 is perfect. Clothing companies & especially workwear companies don't make pockets big enough.

Ok oh wise and noble denizens of this forum.

I've decided to pull the trigger on the redmi 5 plus.

Can anyone hit me with the best link for the 4gb ram global version. Having a hell of a time getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi all. I'm looking at the Redmi 4x for herself as a birthday present. She doesn't like the 5.5" screen phones. Has anybody following this thread any experience with one. I'm looking at a gold 3/32 version on either geekbuying or honorbuy. Thanks in advance for any replies.

adaephon wrote: »
    Ok oh wise and noble denizens of this forum.

I've decided to pull the trigger on the redmi 5 plus.

Can anyone hit me with the best link for the 4gb ram global version. Having a hell of a time getting it.
    As well as NATLOR's link, it is also available
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-Redmi5-Plus-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa/32844544885.html
    and
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-4GB-64GB-5-99-18-9-Full-Screen-Smartphone-Snapdragon/32843445025.html
    and
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-5-99-Inch-3GB-32GB-Smartphone-Black-391594.html
    Bahanaman wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm looking at the Redmi 4x for herself as a birthday present. She doesn't like the 5.5" screen phones. Has anybody following this thread any experience with one. I'm looking at a gold 3/32 version on either geekbuying or honorbuy. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Got one for my cousin after recommending it to her (after she had asked and given some details of what she was looking for). Almost 5 months later and she still tells me that it is her favourite phone so far :D
    She stopped buying iphones about 4 years ago when she discovered 'dodgy' apps on Android for streaming box sets.

I was buying it from Oppomart, but i think in the end went with Geekbuying Italian Warehouse, because it was two day shipping.

Discodog wrote:
    Yes & it's annoying. My note 4 is perfect. Clothing companies & especially workwear companies don't make pockets big enough.

Yes I have to agree. My work pants have a massive hole it one of the pockets thanks to my Note 4 being in it all the time

Discodog wrote:

Yes I have to agree. My work pants have a big hole in one of the pockets thanks to my Note 4

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Bahanaman wrote: »

I got a gold 3/32 Redmi 4x for my daughter and a black one for the boyfriend.
    Both are very happy with them (they both previously had iphones with broken screens).

7 orders with Geekbuying in recent weeks, super fast delivery, never an issue so I thoroughly recommend them!

As well as NATLOR's link, it is also available
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-Redmi5-Plus-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa/32844544885.html
    and
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-4GB-64GB-5-99-18-9-Full-Screen-Smartphone-Snapdragon/32843445025.html
    and
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-5-99-Inch-3GB-32GB-Smartphone-Black-391594.html

Thanks suckit, however this is exactly the problem i was running in to.

These are global rom not global version and the geekbuying link only has the 3gb ram versions available. All else out of stock in the global version.

Much appreciated though. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Could have it's uses as a tablet rather than a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

adaephon wrote: »

Thanks suckit, however this is exactly the problem i was running in to.

These are global rom not global version and the geekbuying link only has the 3gb ram versions available. All else out of stock in the global version.

Much appreciated though. :-)

Global version only comes in 3/32GB at the moment.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Global version only comes in 3/32GB at the moment.

I sincerely hope not cos ive literally paid for the 4/64gb version about 2 mins ago on the link thaargar sent

Global Version Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4GB 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 5.99" 18:9 Screen 4000mAh 12.0MP MIUI 9
    http://s.aliexpress.com/VBRJnUbi?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
    (from AliExpress Android)

Am i wrong?? Please say im not :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm getting all giddy at the thoughts of that mi max 3 . I've been using my mi max 2 for 4 months or so now, so due a change . Will be well ready co e release time :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement