Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

adaephon wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not cos ive literally paid for the 4/64gb version about 2 mins ago on the link thaargar sent

Global Version Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4GB 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 5.99" 18:9 Screen 4000mAh 12.0MP MIUI 9
    http://s.aliexpress.com/VBRJnUbi?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
    (from AliExpress Android)

Am i wrong?? Please say im not :-(

I hope I'm wrong for your sake m8 but all info I could find pointed to the global version only available in the 3/32 version,

I was looking for it myself but settled on the global ROM 4/64 instead as I don't really need band 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

adaephon wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not cos ive literally paid for the 4/64gb version about 2 mins ago on the link thaargar sent

Global Version Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4GB 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 5.99" 18:9 Screen 4000mAh 12.0MP MIUI 9
    http://s.aliexpress.com/VBRJnUbi?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
    (from AliExpress Android)

Am i wrong?? Please say im not :-(

I dont have the phone but according to the spec list it does have band 20

4G: FDD LTE B3:1800/B1:2100/B4:1700/B7:2600/B5:850/B8:900/B20:800MHz; TDD LTE B38:2600/B40:2300MHz;

Its also available in the Geekbuying link Suckit posted,scroll down and there are lots of options available for the 4/64 Global version

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

NATLOR wrote: »
    I dont have the phone but according to the spec list it does have band 20

4G: FDD LTE B3:1800/B1:2100/B4:1700/B7:2600/B5:850/B8:900/B20:800MHz; TDD LTE B38:2600/B40:2300MHz;

Its also available in the Geekbuying link Suckit posted,scroll down and there are lots of options available for the 4/64 Global version

Yes but the geekbuyingnones are all out of stock whennu select them.

Ah sure the die is cast now. Ill find out in a week or two im sure.

Will report back and let ye all know.

The one i bought lists it does have band 20 etc so hopefully all is good.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just ordered a small item of Aliexpress & got this message.

Feb 8th ,2018- Feb 23th 2018 is Chinese Spring Festival. During This period, China logistics company off work and stop delivery any packages. so all new orders will shipped out at date 25th Feb,2018

Might be worth considering if you are ordering.

I find it hard to believe that China stops for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Discodog wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that China stops for two weeks.

There's news videos of it every year. The amount of people who travel is quite incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

This is a rather long thread .

So I was checking off some features on my wishlist.

1) warranty ?

2) 4g/wifi

3)finger print login

4) Enough storage space to cope with android updates

and so on.

Has anyone ordered and received a phone model theyre really happy with ?

And can hence recommend ? In particular Id like a recommendation of the supplier who sent it .

I found a nice phone and then did a check for how compatible it is with Irish networks. Despite being 4G , it was not compatible with all the Irish 4G networks. Although it was compatible with my current network (Virgin mobile) , I didnt want to limit my options ...

Ive been using a HTC A9 for a while. The fingerprint login is very handy and I got used to it . I dont want to go without that feature again. Most of my time on a phone is with youtube, whatsapp and emails

I noticed its rare to find a phone with an easily replaceable battery. Thats kind of frustrating as a battery is usually the first thing to go. On my old phones Id buy a battery, swap it in without needing tools and it was back to like the day I bought it.

1) warranty ?

2) 4g/wifi

3)finger print login

and so on.

And can hence recommend ? In particular Id like a recommendation of the supplier who sent it .

I found a nice phone and then did a check for how compatible it is with Irish networks. Despite being 4G , it was not compatible with all the Irish 4G networks. Although it was compatible with my current network (Virgin mobile) , I didnt want to limit my options ...

Ive been using a HTC A9 for a while. The fingerprint login is very handy and I got used to it . I dont want to go without that feature again. Most of my time on a phone is with youtube, whatsapp and emails

I noticed its rare to find a phone with an easily replaceable battery. Thats kind of frustrating as a battery is usually the first thing to go. On my old phones Id buy a battery, swap it in without needing tools and it was back to like the day I bought it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057810034

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

abarkie wrote: »
    Could have it's uses as a tablet rather than a phone

Then buy a tablet instead.

Then buy a tablet instead.

I used to have the urge for a phablet & one of the reasons that I got a cheap 7 inch Fire was to see how something like that would be as a phone. I recently went from a 5 inch nexus to a 5.5 inch Note 4 & discovered that 5.5 is my limit. I can just use it one handed. Plus it still fits in a chest pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its not going to be 7" like a 7" Nexus tablet or whatever, they're getting the extra .5" (really time to move to metric measurements screen manufacturers) by removing the bezels and going nearly full screen, so look at the specs for a Mi Max 2 when thinking about if it will fit in your pocket, its still a best though but I read so much comics on my phone and watch so much Youtube I cant wait to see it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not going to be 7" like a 7" Nexus tablet or whatever, they're getting the extra .5" (really time to move to metric measurements screen manufacturers) by removing the bezels and going nearly full screen, so look at the specs for a Mi Max 2 when thinking about if it will fit in your pocket, its still a best though but I read so much comics on my phone and watch so much Youtube I cant wait to see it.

These no bezels are a pain when you need a case & screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Discodog wrote:
    These no bezels are a pain when you need a case & screen protector.

Get yourself any iPhone if you want maximum bezels. Bezels look so stupid now imo

Get yourself any iPhone if you want maximum bezels. Bezels look so stupid now imo

The problem is that the manufacturers don't think of how to protect the phone. The Note 4 is a good example. Luckily aftermarket companies have come up with a way around the curve at the edge of the screen.

I agree that full screen looks better but a lot of us need to protect the phone & don't want iphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

1) warranty ?

2) 4g/wifi

3)finger print login

and so on.

Have a mi Max 2 ,live in a mixed rural urban area no problems, great phone,but don't order via gearbest, customer care is atrocious, tracking non existent (until phones in Ireland?)ordered via Ali express for other items no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just realised I'm probably better off asking here. Has anyone got a good smart watch alongside a Mi Max 2? Any recommendations?

Where are people sourcing their replacement parts from? Need a new screen for a Mi Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭corkie

fixxxer wrote: »
    Where are people sourcing their replacement parts from? Need a new screen for a Mi Max.

Aliexpress? Don't forget to also source an adhesive layer.

Looks complicated to replace, as the whole device needs to be dissembled.

Don't forget : -
    Discodog wrote: »
    I just ordered a small item of Aliexpress & got this message.

Feb 8th ,2018- Feb 23th 2018 is Chinese Spring Festival. During This period, China logistics company off work and stop delivery any packages. so all new orders will shipped out at date 25th Feb,2018

I order a battery on the 6th, going by tracking info it is been shipped from Belgium, even though ordered from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I just replaced the screen on my Mi Max 2, pitty I didn't know about the adhesive layer when I ordered it. Used some clear Tec7 and left it it with some weight sitting on it for a few hours and it worked out well. Back working fine bar the proximity sensor, hopefully I won't need to do the screen again though as it could be a job removing it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone come across any concrete info regarding the Xiaomi Mi A2/Mi 6x?
    Release date or reliable specs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭corkie

banie01 wrote: »
    Anyone come across any concrete info regarding the Xiaomi Mi A2/Mi 6x?
    Release date or reliable specs?

A1 ~~~ Android One!

So no Mi A2, there might be Mi A1-B/2 or something like that, who knows with xiaomi naming schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Did the full lcd on my note 4 and although complicated it worked out fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭banie01

corkie wrote: »
    A1 ~~~ Android One!

So no Mi A2, there might be Mi A1-B/2 or something like, who knows with xiaomi naming schemes.

Which is why I added Mi 6x to the post.
    To clarify further, has anyone any info on the Mi-5x successor that isn't originating from indian sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Riva10 wrote: »
    That just about sums up Gearbest Check the gearbest forum here and you will see that one guy here ordered 3 laptops from them. When his package eventually arrived there were no laptops in it. Gearbest insisted that they had sent the laptops even though the declared weightof the package was 0.8kg. Pretty light for 3 laptops. They said the problem was on his side. Refused to resend and eventually decided to replace the order for 50% of the original cost and then upped their offer to 75%. Take the chance if you feel lucky :rolleyes: but let us know when (if) you receive your order

On this, and again i am taking nothing away from anyone else's experience, but just this Friday past a work colleague received an Elephant P8 which he had ordered from Gearbest about 10 days previously, payed for expedited delivery via DHL and insurance, as i have done. I have also paid through PayPal and i have no issue doing a chargeback via PayPal if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

fixxxer wrote: »

There is a dedicated parts store that sell the screen separate, or the whole unit with digitizer etc.. I can not think of the store at the minute and it is not on the pc i am at, but i will post it when i get the chance.

I would not recommend aliexpress for generic parts as the are often a couple of millimeters off, or worse, just a fraction of a mill off. They often also come with a poor quality adhesive and your screen might pop off in a few weeks.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Ah. Okay, i take all your points on board but i have to counter with my own experiences, i have ordered from both Gearbest and FastTech and neither have wronged me in any way.

They will. Especially if you keep using them. I am not 100% Fasttech are under the same umbrella, so unfair of me to say that they are. Everbuying are, as are Gamiss, Dresslilly, Rosegal and so many others.
    Some of the latter were supposed to change hands but i am not sure if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Suckit wrote: »
    They will. Especially if you keep using them. I am not 100% Fasttech are under the same umbrella, so unfair of me to say that they are. Everbuying are, as are Gamiss, Dresslilly, Rosegal and so many others.
    Some of the latter were supposed to change hands but i am not sure if it happened.

I'm infrequent with my usage, so perhaps that's why i have had a better experience than, say, yourself for example. Look, i took a gamble with the U Pro, having it coming with DHL and insured is some piece of mind, and having paid via PayPal is extra. In need of a phone and not looking to buy now and again in a few weeks when it comes available elsewhere, so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

fixxxer wrote:

Search eBay uk for the screen with frame for your phone model. There are a few sellers in France that do the part. Shipping is much quicker than Ali express.

It's much easier to install the complete screen and frame assembly than trying to stick a new screen into the old frame. I've fixed a few xiaomi phone screens and it can be difficult to get the screen glued in properly.
    One thing to note with the aftermarket screens is the touch buttons rarely light properly. If your phoned is rooted you can enable the on screen buttons for better visibility.

Suckit wrote: »
    There is a dedicated parts store that sell the screen separate, or the whole unit with digitizer etc.. I can not think of the store at the minute and it is not on the pc i am at, but i will post it when i get the chance.

This is the store that i was referring to, I can't remember shipping times. I repaired a Redmi Note 2, so it was a while back. Also ordered a screen + digitizer for a Meizu M2 mini.
    http://www.ipartsbuy.com/

These are also in my bookmarks but i don't think i have ever used them.
    http://mobispares.com/
    http://www.cellspare.com/

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the posts folks, much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement