Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Findus Crispy pancakes chicken and ham donkey and horse flavoured goo were decent

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I can't remember what brand they where, but the box of chips you would cook in the microwave, used to be a nice little snack just after coming in from school. I'd say if I tried them today they would taste like muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

There were two kinds; the McCains micro chips that were loose inside a black box, and one that had them all neatly stacked in individual sleeves and looked and tasted like McDonald's french fries.

I grew out of the McCains ones fast but I'd like to revisit the others, I remember them as being very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I've always been a bit of an independent person, so when I was 11 I decided that salads were terrible and to escape my mothers salad loving tyranny, from then on I would cook my own supper after school. My absolute favourite food was toasted sandwiches with peach chutney, ham and tomatoes, so much so that at one point I think I was eating them almost every evening, for years. I might also be a little obsessive about things.

Then disaster struck, despite my very best efforts, the company that made the peach chutney went out of business... It was never quite the same after that.

Tapioca pudding and sago. They're both the same, runny frogspawn to me anyway.

Used to love it though. So exciting to come in from a hard day of Hide & Seek, to find a pot of hot sago on the stove, bubbling and plopping obscenely in the pan, like horrible farts.

Does anyone eat it anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Knasher wrote: »
    I've always been a bit of an independent person, so when I was 11 I decided that salads were terrible and to escape my mothers salad loving tyranny, from then on I would cook my own supper after school. My absolute favourite food was toasted sandwiches with peach chutney, ham and tomatoes, so much so that at one point I think I was eating them almost every evening, for years. I might also be a little obsessive about things.

Then disaster struck, despite my very best efforts, the company that made the peach chutney went out of business... It was never quite the same after that.
    Chutney is fairly easy to make, you could always have a go at making it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Chutney is fairly easy to make, you could always have a go at making it yourself.
    Might have to give that a go, for nostalgias sake. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

eternal wrote: »
    I remember being about three and walking into our kitchen to see a bloody, gutted rabbit hanging from a hook for the night's dinner. There was blood everywhere. I couldn't be consoled no matter what anyone said and I refused to eat it.
    Funny; I helped to gut my first rabbit when I was four.

I never really ate Irish food as a kid. My mother, despite being Irish, mainly cooked Italian. Tell I lie; we did have roastbeef on a regular basis, which is sort of Irish, with roast potatoes. But we'd have had it bleu, which would be less common.

Come to think of it, my father used to occasionally do coddle, which naturally was modified to be more agreeable to the continental pallet (i.e. actual seasoning would be added).

Still make pastina in brodo, on an irregular basis (and depending on whether I've made fresh broth or am slumming it with a cube). Ultimate comfort food.

Pasta... when small we used to always have this as the first course, followed by a main, until my father discovered that he could no longer eat what he wanted and keep his weight down and meals became one course, which may or may not have involved pasta.

Very rarely make pasa with ragù (what you guys would call bolognese) nowadays, more likely to do some sauce like an amatriciana, panna e gorgonzola, puttanesca, pesto (yes, pesto is a pasta sauce not a salad dressing) or whatever I happen to have ingredients for.

Fondue bourguignonne I remember as a favourite, when growing up, although ironically I think my mother would prepare it simple because it involved very little effort.

Risotto - milanese, with porchini or fish (the latter invariably becomes whatever cans of frutti di mare I have) are something else. Or impanate fritte (similar to Wienerschnitzel), generally beef. With chips.

Anyhow, that's off the top of my head. Still cook many of those, but not as often as I'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I remember years ago me mam used to cook me and me da fish with garlic butter every Friday. It was me and me das thing. [me ma hates fish] anyway, one time the garlic butter tasted "off" and from that day whenever it was I just can go near fish. I've always loved garlic and would eat it raw. But anyway yeah, thats my childhood memory well one of them....

I've always loved them nice biscuits they used to be in individual packets, but you can't get them anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Funny; I helped to gut my first rabbit when I was four.

I never really ate Irish food as a kid. My mother, despite being Irish, mainly cooked Italian. Tell I lie; we did have roastbeef on a regular basis, which is sort of Irish, with roast potatoes. But we'd have had it bleu, which would be less common.

Come to think of it, my father used to occasionally do coddle, which naturally was modified to be more agreeable to the continental pallet (i.e. actual seasoning would be added).

Still make pastina in brodo, on an irregular basis (and depending on whether I've made fresh broth or am slumming it with a cube). Ultimate comfort food.

Pasta... when small we used to always have this as the first course, followed by a main, until my father discovered that he could no longer eat what he wanted and keep his weight down and meals became one course, which may or may not have involved pasta.

Very rarely make pasa with ragù (what you guys would call bolognese) nowadays, more likely to do some sauce like an amatriciana, panna e gorgonzola, puttanesca, pesto (yes, pesto is a pasta sauce not a salad dressing) or whatever I happen to have ingredients for.

Fondue bourguignonne I remember as a favourite, when growing up, although ironically I think my mother would prepare it simple because it involved very little effort.

Risotto - milanese, with porchini or fish (the latter invariably becomes whatever cans of frutti di mare I have) are something else. Or impanate fritte (similar to Wienerschnitzel), generally beef. With chips.

Anyhow, that's off the top of my head. Still cook many of those, but not as often as I'd like.

Oh FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Powdered mash potato? Really? Is mashed potato that hard to cook that a powdered alternative is necessary?

Seems I got amazing food as a kid reading this thread! I have a new appreciation for my mum for not feeding us powdered mashed potato, offal or angel delight (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as what we call 'instant pudding').

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Powdered mash potato? Really? Is mashed potato that hard to cook that a powdered alternative is necessary?

There was powdered orange juice too.
    It was a great time to be alive...not really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Egg-in-a-cup.

And blackberry crumble or scones by the hand of my mother. she's still alive,but just doesn't bake so much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Urneys Chocolates-made in Tallaght then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

There was powdered orange juice too.
    It was a great time to be alive...not really :(

Yeah I remember that. We called it 'Raro', I think that's because it was the name of the biggest brand. That's not any worse than Mi Wadi etc, but powdered mash potato...????

I know it exists, but thought it was specifically for hiking/hunting trips and the like, like powdered milk. I have never heard of it used instead of actual potato for proper family meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Smiley bars, they were to Chomp bars what Taz bars were to Freddos.

http://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/01163104/SmileyBars.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Remember when jelly was a legitimate dessert and treat?I remember going to a particular cafe as a kid that had a glass case of delicious cream buns but only having eyes for a plastic cup of strawberry jelly.Big Sunday lunch for visitors? Must somehow incorporate jelly into the dessert! Now I couldn't stomach it.

Oh and cream buns, cream buns were so much better back when we were all childers! The last few years they've really gone to pot with all the freezing and corners cut on prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

RayM wrote:
    Those weird little KVI brand 'pizzas' from Crazy Prices, with a spongy base and a bit of tomato sauce and cheese on top. They always tasted best when burnt to a crisp, thus killing the taste. If they were still around, I'd love to have one, just for the memories it would invoke.

Pizzinis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fcking Pizzini's is right I think.

insta_0224_food1.jpgp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

My friends mam had a soda stream. I thought the drinks made from them were disgusting but i liked the novelty of it.

I always loved Heinz Spagetti or Beans on toast and i really loved Bananna Sandwiches too. My granda used to make me the best banana sandwiches and they were so good that we used to call them "caviar sandwiches".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Fcking Pizzini's is right I think.

insta_0224_food1.jpgp

If I remember correctly, they looked even worse than that. More anaemic, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Perry's crisps I think they were called, the front of the packet was see through and the cheese and onion ones were red, loved them as a little kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Squeez orange juice, it was in a little tin and add water to dilute it - loved it.

Loved Cambells meatballs too - in gravy, didn't like the tomato sauce ones.

Alien Spacers - they were replaced by Meanies, wish I could get them again.

Birds Trifle with different coloured and flavoured custards - strawberry was a favourite of mine.

Dream Topping - on strawberries.

Instant Whip dessert.

H.B Haiwatha ice cream pops.

Lucozade when it was in a bobbled glass bottle, covered in orange plastic film, with a gold foil cover on the screw top.

The 70's and the 80's :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

My friends mam had a soda stream. I thought the drinks made from them were disgusting but i liked the novelty of it.

I always loved Heinz Spagetti or Beans on toast and i really loved Bananna Sandwiches too. My granda used to make me the best banana sandwiches and they were so good that we used to call them "caviar sandwiches".

My neighbours had a soda stream. The bubbles made me giggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A fry was a regular meal in our house. .
    Occasionally my mither would make bolognase...With garlic bread which we loved.

Deserts were always either jelly and ice cream with wafers...or Swiss roll and custard.

We had a little shop on our estate. Always got 10p to go to the shop. .stinger bars were the best...bubbalicious chewing gum.
    .hubba bubba. ..super Mario ice creams....fat frogs. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Mashed spud with loads of salt, butter and baked beans.

Chips and fried eggs.

As an adult I realise that these were the dinners that we probably had when there was nothing in the fridge and parents were hanging on til pay day. Never noticed lack of food/money as a child. I loved those dinners - still do. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Anyone remember spangles sweets? They were hard boiled and came in a tube...loads of flavours but my favourite was apple...think it was late 70s

I was a demon for eating sandwiches with corned beef (the processed sh1t that would make my stomach turn now).

One memory of a school tour around 79/80 always makes be chuckle. We were in 3rd or 4th class and one of the lads in the class brought 13 cans of club shandy cos he wanted to get tipsy - back then the can was the regular 330ml and printed on the front it said that it was .04% alcohol from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

On the strength of this thread I'm "making" (tinned) fruit cocktail and (packet) custard for dessert. Hubby will be in his element. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I find the high number of people who had instant mash potato here depressing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I was given instant mashed potato in France recently. It was served in a dog dish. It was the worst part of a meal so terrible that I actually burst into tears sobbing "this is the sort of food I left home to avoid". The whole outstandingly awful meal appeared to be war rations, though, so maybe I was just in a corner of France where they haven't yet heard about the armistice.

Advertisement